2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Word of caution: IAD - Richmond route is unpredictable. It should take 2 hours but might take much longer ( ~ 4 hours) on busy weekends or if there is an accident or construction. You should really try to go the night before to Richmond.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
To anyone who is from the DMV area: I have a flight arriving late at night before my interview and have a hotel I'll be staying at near IAD. My plan was to get a rental car and drive to Richmond the morning of my interview, but I just learned that Enterprise only allows those ages 25 and up to rent a car. Any ideas on how to get to Richmond on a Saturday morning using public transportation? Or does anyone know of another rental service that will allow me to rent a car for the day. Thanks!
Although Dulles isn't exactly in DC, I would make my way to union station and take the amtrak to Richmond from there. I agree with the other poster that the route to Richmond is pretty unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed here yesterday and absolutely loved the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like adcoms wont even review my application lol I have been complete since July :(

Reactions: 7 users
I feel like adcoms wont even review my application lol I have been complete since July :(
Same here. I almost prefer a rejection over "we aren't even gonna bother looking at your application" lol. Especially when you're IS. TBH I was a little concerned when I saw 2% AA on the MSAR for last year's cohort in a city like RIC which is ~50% AA, but I still really like the program and was considering it.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got this update this morning:
"
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in late-March), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Please refrain from contacting the Admissions Office. We thank you for your interest in our school."

I vaguely remember at the interview they mentioned that everyone is placed on hold before the first acceptance date and it doesn't actually mean anything (also found this in previous threads), but was really hoping someone could explain exactly what this means because I am panicking!

Current M2 here. You got it right! In order to be fair to all applicants, VCU releases their decision in batches and you might find out in October if you get in, or you might have to wait until later dates. Don't despair. I interviewed in early October two years ago and didn't get in until April. Good luck and let me know if y'all have any questions.

Just got this update this morning:
"
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 1, and March 16. If any of these dates falls on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in late-March), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Please refrain from contacting the Admissions Office. We thank you for your interest in our school."

I vaguely remember at the interview they mentioned that everyone is placed on hold before the first acceptance date and it doesn't actually mean anything (also found this in previous threads), but was really hoping someone could explain exactly what this means because I am panicking!
Your status and the exact process of admissions at VCU were covered in detail at your interview. I know this with certainty, because I was in the room. The message you received in your portal is entirely consistent with what was conveyed, which is batch acceptance offers that are made on the 16th of Oct, Dec, Feb, and Mar. Until then, all non-rejections after interviews go into the hold pile, awaiting possible offers. If you have questions that need to be addressed further, contact the Admissions Office.

GOT AN II!!! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE. I checked the portal and saw an interview tab though my status still said:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application.
Congrats!! When were you complete? and would you mind sharing your stats?

Your status and the exact process of admissions at VCU were covered in detail at your interview. I know this with certainty, because I was in the room. The message you received in your portal is entirely consistent with what was conveyed, which is batch acceptance offers that are made on the 16th of Oct, Dec, Feb, and Mar. Until then, all non-rejections after interviews go into the hold pile, awaiting possible offers. If you have questions that need to be addressed further, contact the Admissions Office.

Also, don't forget everyone that decisions in Oct, Dec, Feb, and March aren't released until 6:00 pm EDT (or EST after 11/5 when we "fall back" unless you're in AZ).

Was complete on August 20th. How long did it take for most people to receive their first status update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was complete on August 20th. How long did it take for most people to receive their first status update?
Read above. Lots of us complete in mid to late July haven't had any updates. So you got plenty of time yet before panic should set in.

Also, don't forget everyone that decisions in Oct, Dec, Feb, and March aren't released until 6:00 pm EDT (or EST after 11/5 when we "fall back" unless you're in AZ).
This is true; I believe we said 6:01 just to be safe.

This is true; I believe we said 6:01 just to be safe.

Hello Dean,

Is it true that VCU's interviews are pretty much full. I heard the interviews are packed until 2018 at this point, similar to Tulane's early cycle..

Hello Dean,

Is it true that VCU's interviews are pretty much full. I heard the interviews are packed until 2018 at this point, similar to Tulane's early cycle..
My portal says earliest interview opening is in mid February.

dam... fml
For real. Why fill up almost all of your slots when it's only September. I applied in July and haven't even been looked at yet. LizzyM >70. That is, assuming that once your application is looked at they update your portal with something, whether it's reject, hold, interested, ii, or something else.

Reactions: 3 users
For real. Why fill up almost all of your slots when it's only September. I applied in July and haven't even been looked at yet. LizzyM >70. That is, assuming that once your application is looked at they update your portal with something, whether it's reject, hold, interested, ii, or something else.

Yeah I applied here mid July. I guess there's no chance to these "early cycle" school unless I had shot my app in the first couple days the cycle started...

This is unbelievable! Im still under review too and interviews are filled until Feb? Wow!

@DeanMission, when can Canadian applicants expect to hear about interviews?
Canadians are no different than non-Virginia applicants. Their applications are proceeding accordingly.

Hello Dean,

Interview slots available in the 2017 calendar year are non-existent at this point. Slots will likely open up as cancellations occur. There are 12 interview dates from January thru March with many slots still open.

Interview slots available in the 2017 calendar year are non-existent at this point. Slots will likely open up as cancellations occur. There are 12 interview dates from January thru March with many slots still open.

You had mentioned earlier in the thread that "Applications are dealt with at the subcommittee level based on order received, with the exception of in-state/out-of-state status. File reviews, which are what lead to interview invites, are not handled in order received; rather, they are prioritized at the subcommittee level." So does a status update occur after a file review or after the subcommittee review? I'm an OOS that's been complete since mid July with no update so I was a bit confused when you mentioned order received. Thanks for your insight!

~7500 applications received as of now, and all applications will be looked at and scrutinized carefully. VCU is doing its very best to identify those students that best match its mission.

The season is long for everyone, and I wish you the best.

Reactions: 4 users

Damn dude. calm down. this process is long, arduous, and competitive. I'm sure you haven't heard from many other schools either. It can't be just VCU.

You had mentioned earlier in the thread that "Applications are dealt with at the subcommittee level based on order received, with the exception of in-state/out-of-state status. File reviews, which are what lead to interview invites, are not handled in order received; rather, they are prioritized at the subcommittee level." So does a status update occur after a file review or after the subcommittee review? I'm an OOS that's been complete since mid July with no update so I was a bit confused when you mentioned order received. Thanks for your insight!
Status changes should occur after each step. There is quite a large backup, currently, of applications in the Subcommittee pile. They will be dealt with as time progresses. Nobody has lost their place in line, it is just that the time spent on even a single application can sometimes be long, so the line can appear to move at a glacial pace.

Status changes should occur after each step. There is quite a large backup, currently, of applications in the Subcommittee pile. They will be dealt with as time progresses. Nobody has lost their place in line, it is just that the time spent on even a single application can sometimes be long, so the line can appear to move at a glacial pace.

@Dean Mission - thank you for this update.

@Dean Mission

Can you please comment on qualities of good interviewers vs qualities of bad interviewers from your own experiences? Student who you thought was amazing on paper but couldn't convince you in person (categorizing this as 'bad interviewer') and student who was okay or good on paper but definitely proved that in person (categorizing this as 'good interviewer'). I'm just curious and please offer an answer in respect to the MMI styled questions and answers.

@Dean Mission

Can you please comment on qualities of good interviewers vs qualities of bad interviewers from your own experiences? Student who you thought was amazing on paper but couldn't convince you in person (categorizing this as 'bad interviewer') and student who was okay or good on paper but definitely proved that in person (categorizing this as 'good interviewer'). I'm just curious and please offer an answer in respect to the MMI styled questions and answers.
Characteristics of good interviewees: answer the question, self-reflective, command respect through competence, humble, conversational, professional, eloquent, unphased, genuine.

Characteristics of poor interviewees: don't fundamentally answer the question, require repeated prompting, can exhibit arrogance, sometimes weird and/or say troubling things, hesitant, paint themselves into corners, short-sighted, too practiced and/or disingenuous, shallow.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it possible for you to disclose what dates were the completed applications submitted that are currently in process of review?

Is it possible for you to disclose what dates were the completed applications submitted that are currently in process of review?

If it helps, I just got a status update this morning indicating I've been reviewed after sitting on "committee will review" for almost 2 months (complete 7/27). I'm OOS though so I imagine IS applications are a bit further along. There are also probably other factors that go into when you get status updates, but hang tight and it'll come in due time!

If it helps, I just got a status update this morning indicating I've been reviewed after sitting on "committee will review" for almost 2 months (complete 7/27). I'm OOS though so I imagine IS applications are a bit further along. There are also probably other factors that go into when you get status updates, but hang tight and it'll come in due time!
I wouldn't say that about IS vs OOS because I submitted around the same date (maybe a day or so later) and I'm IS and haven't had any change of status on my portal. If the file reviews (which lead to interviews) are not in any particular order, I guess we can't really make any assumptions.

That being said, thanks for this comment cuz it gives me hope that maybe I'll get looked at relatively soon-ish.

SN: If I ever have to go through this application cycle again (let's hope not), I have learned a valuable lesson to complete all my primary and secondary applications in June!

SN: If I ever have to go through this application cycle again (let's hope not), I have learned a valuable lesson to complete all my primary and secondary applications in June!
Amen, GhostFollower.

Man, mine was complete before then and haven't heard anything... Just keeping myself occupied until then I guess

"
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

This is good, right? Fingers crossed. Really excited to hear from VCU!

EDIT: @Dean Mission I found posts back in July/August where you addressed this status, and explained that "this early in the season, this status = interview."

Are we still considered "early" enough in the season where that is still true?

Thanks!

Last edited:
"
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

EDIT: @Dean Mission I found posts back in July/August where you addressed this status, and explained that "this early in the season, this status = interview."

Thanks!
Not a slam dunk, but it's a good bet. Fight on.

Not a slam dunk, but it's a good bet. Fight on.

@Dean Mission, what are the chances if we are OOS and still under review? How can we tell if our application has even been reviewed yet or in a pile waiting for rejection notice? It would be good to know rejection sooner than later.

@Dean Mission, how much of an influence does having family that is alumni from VCU have on your application? (class of 2017).

@Dean Mission, what are the chances if we are OOS and still under review? How can we tell if our application has even been reviewed yet or in a pile waiting for rejection notice? It would be good to know rejection sooner than later.
Non-residents, like Virginians, will receive portal updates as their application progresses. If your application reaches file review it will be scored and prioritized. If it never reaches file review, that means it has been rejected; however, long delays of no status change is not a rejection. High-prioritized file review scores are likely to get invites for interviews; mid-rung scores are more difficult to forecast, as their status is perpetually uncertain; low-priority scores may get outright rejected at points along the way as the season progresses. Regardless, once the final date has passed for interviews, if you have not been invited you will not be accepted. I wish there were more certainties, but the process is protracted and dynamic.

Legacy status is noted, but it is not a factor.

Thanks for the quick response! I wish every school would have someone from the admissions committee on their student doctor thread!

"

Thanks!

Depends on your score, I think. I had that status for like a week or two before it turned into an II. Some have reported getting that and not receiving any invite thereafter. Keep checking and having hope. It's not official yet for you but its a really good sign :D