2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the committee hasn't even gotten to some applications submitted mid-July and interviews are already filled to late January 2018? Guess there's minimal hope for an August or later completion date.
I find it hard to believe that they have not looked at late July applicants yet. Maybe everyone on SDN just submitted theirs early.

Members don't see this ad.

I find it hard to believe that they have not looked at late July applicants yet. Maybe everyone on SDN just submitted theirs early.

I submitted late July and mine has yet to be reviewed. I will note that my MCAT score is on the lower end for their accepted students, so I'm guessing I'll be last if ever reviewed :(

I submitted late July. I have above average MCAT and GPA for this school and have not been reviewed yet :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do any past interviewees/current students or current students have advice for the MMI? I've looked up bioethics scenarios and MMI questions, and bought a book on MMI strategy, but I'm wondering if there's anything else those who have interviewed already would recommend?

Just happened to (neurotically) check the portal and found an II! I got the "very interested" status yesterday so it was a quick turnaround from that. Complete 7/27, OOS. Scheduled for mid Feb.

Reactions: 1 users
"
The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

This is good, right? Fingers crossed. Really excited to hear from VCU!

EDIT: @Dean Mission I found posts back in July/August where you addressed this status, and explained that "this early in the season, this status = interview."

Are we still considered "early" enough in the season where that is still true?

Thanks!
took me a month to get an II from this

II! but not until mid Feb, sadly... 3.95 GPA, 515 MCAT OOS and was complete in early/mid July. I didn't have any status changes from my original "Your file is now complete and the committee will review your application" until last night when I got the interview invite.

Last edited:
I just received an II this morning (no dates available though so I haven't been able to schedule yet)!

Does any one know the post interview acceptance rate for VCU?

I just got the II this morning, like 2 days after the status changed to "very interested". I was surprised to get the interview from here since my stats were not high (minimum MCAT, GPA ~3.7). It makes me believe that VCU is looking beyond the stats, so don't lose hope yet!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got the II this morning, like 2 days after the status changed to "very interested". I was surprised to get the interview from here since my stats were not high (minimum MCAT, GPA ~3.7). It makes me believe that VCU is looking beyond the stats, so don't lose hope yet!
When did you submit your secondary and are you IS/OOS?

I just received an II this morning (no dates available though so I haven't been able to schedule yet)!

Does any one know the post interview acceptance rate for VCU?
You're telling me they're all out of interview dates and they're still reviewing mid July submissions? What the.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the applications reviewed based on the order that they were submitted in? Or are they quickly ranked first, and then carefully reviewed based on that rank?

I submitted July 20th and still : --- do you receive emails when it changes? anyone from end of July been reviewed?
APPLICATION STATUS

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

Applications being dealt with are now in the range of early-August completion dates.

What does your portal say?
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.
Completed 7/28

Completed 7/28

It means you're in queue for rejection at this point

What does your portal say?

I am in the same situation. I was complete and portal changed to the sub-committee will review my application on July 13th. I have yet to have any change in my status since that date.

Thank you for your insight!

I am in the same situation. I was complete and portal changed to the sub-committee will review my application on July 13th. I have yet to have any change in my status since that date.

Thank you for your insight!

Queue for rejection.

Completed 7/28
Same. :(

The line isn't a straight date-in = place in line reserved. It is more complicated than that. But if you have a Subcommittee will review message you are in line. That line is long, as I have indicated in the past. If you are reviewed well at that Subcommittee stage, your file will proceed fairly quickly. If not, it could linger for a while.

Reactions: 2 users
The line isn't a straight date-in = place in line reserved. It is more complicated than that. But if you have a Subcommittee will review message you are in line. That line is long, as I have indicated in the past. If you are reviewed well at that point when your file comes up, your file will proceed fairly quickly. If not, it could linger for a while.
Thank you very much for the insight! Much appreciated

When did you submit your secondary and are you IS/OOS?

I believe I submitted the secondary around July, like within 2 weeks of receiving it. And I am OOS with (i think) strong ECs.

Just got the "Interested" status update this morning. App was complete on 7/29

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed at VCU. Simply amazing and overly impressed.

Felt like I messed up at one MMI station tho. I couldn't really comprehend the interviewer's strong accent lol. But it's ok. The interviewer was very nice regardless.

School, the facilities, and the hospital were all beautiful. Unique curriculum. non-competitive and happy students. faculty and staff seemed nice and they truly care about their student's success. Adcoms really want to get to know you as a person in the interview. They also seemed to sympathize with the interviewees and know that all of us were nervous so they make sure not to pressure you. If anything, get a good nights sleep, be honest, and express yourselves in the interview. VCU is not there to question your motives.

Now waiting. If accepted, I think it would VERY hard for another school to convince me. I'm like almost sure I would go here. VCU is easily my top choice after the interview. But lets see. Kinda doubting my chances after that awkward interaction I had in that one station lol. I wonder how MMI is assessed at VCU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone clarify what the "sub-committee" message means? Does it mean that you've been scanned and placed at a lower priority rather than simply receiving no file review?

I got an II last Friday but no interview slots were available, so I e-mailed the contact they provided if this were to happen.
Did anyone also have this problem/how long did it take for her to respond? There's a 7day time period to schedule an interview after receiving an invite and I thought she'd get back to me today but still hasn't responded.

So my status just changed to
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Before it said..."under review, subcommittee" etc. So does that I am not rejected yet, but still under consideration even though not high priority?

I got an II last Friday but no interview slots were available, so I e-mailed the contact they provided if this were to happen.
Did anyone also have this problem/how long did it take for her to respond? There's a 7day time period to schedule an interview after receiving an invite and I thought she'd get back to me today but still hasn't responded.
Call the Admissions Office.

Interviews already out in February dates--and no late July apps have been reviewed?! :eek:

So my status just changed to
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Before it said..."under review, subcommittee" etc. So does that I am not rejected yet, but still under consideration even though not high priority?

i have the same status, it looks like some people got II following this but others were left in limbo and ultimately rejected. i think what youre saying is accurate but i honestly have no idea what to think seeing as interview slots are full until feb

You're telling me they're all out of interview dates and they're still reviewing mid July submissions? What the.....
You must not have seen Tulane's thread.... this happened a month ago there!! It's crazy. But I assume it's the same as Tulane, where they overbook in the Fall knowing that as students get other acceptances, they will cancel their interviews.

i have the same status, it looks like some people got II following this but others were left in limbo and ultimately rejected. i think what youre saying is accurate but i honestly have no idea what to think seeing as interview slots are full until feb

I believe we're SOL :/

Man, I didn't think I was applying late when I submitted on August 15th... seems like I'm SOL now. I've been under review since then. :\

Interviews already out in February dates--and no late July apps have been reviewed?! :eek:
Dean mission posted about 2 weeks ago that 370/600ish interviews invites had been sent. Also I just got the "interested" status and I was complete on 7/29 so they may just be moving slowly. Don't give up

Yea I think I am too. I didn't have a committee letter so I wasn't in the priority list anyways. Does anyone know how and if we can provide them with an reason as to why I don't have one?

Committee letter = priority list? Joke, right? That would throw nontrads under the bus bigtime.