2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Complete 7/7, "very interested" status earlier today then II in the afternoon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is funny how I am not a current resident of this state and yet it is my most suspenseful application! :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
Did you ever have the "Commitee will review" message, then it changed? Or did you always have the "very interested" status? :oops:
Went from "Committee will review" to "Very interested" yesterday morning and II came in the afternoon.

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

how good of a sign is this?

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Very :)

Get your wallet ready.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone still have "File is complete. Sub committee will now review...." since mid July?

Submitted secondary 8/15. MSAR says that they participate in AMCAS FAP fee waiver, but is there anyway we can verify if the fee is waived and if they have received LOR.

Submitted secondary 8/15. MSAR says that they participate in AMCAS FAP fee waiver, but is there anyway we can verify if the fee is waived and if they have received LOR.
I have FAP and I emailed admissions asking for the fee waiver. I forwarded my email as proof and then got a response they updated my portal. Now the supplemental fee tab is gone.

Not sure about the LOR part

According to last year's thread, there are applicants whose status stayed as "The Sub-committee will review you application..." until Feb or March. I have been complete since 07/17, and I am worried that my app will stay like that forever.

omg :( I should just stop checking every day

This whole very interested status is the biggest tease of all time

This whole very interested status is the biggest tease of all time
anticipation.png

Is if safe to say that very interested = ~eventual~ II?

This morning I got this:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I assume this is basically an "On hold" email from GW or similar school?

This morning I got this:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I assume this is basically an "On hold" email from GW or similar school?

It's basically a "we are going to make you wait and we are going to toy with your emotions" type of message.

Reactions: 3 users
It's basically a "we are going to make you wait and we are going to toy with your emotions" type of message.

Ha, jokes on them. I'm a re-applicant. I'm already dead inside. What is dead may never die.

Reactions: 29 users
Yep! It was kind of helpful.. It's definitely a better app, I'm pretty hopeful. It is nerve wracking though for sure

What did they say you needed to improve on? Dw, I'm sure you will have better luck this time! They already know you too and will be able to see your improvement

Thanks for sharing! What kind of student would you say VCU is looking for?

Probably a very service oriented individual. The average applicant had ~250 hours of community service that probably wasn't related to medicine.

What did they say you needed to improve on? Dw, I'm sure you will have better luck this time! They already know you too and will be able to see your improvement

Haha thanks for the encouragement! They actually said to just keep doing volunteering / ECs and work on GPA. It's been a few years so I took care of that-- the comparison between apps should be extremely noticeable!

Good luck!

Probably a very service oriented individual. The average applicant had ~250 hours of community service that probably wasn't related to medicine.

Really? I never knew they were that service-oriented. Where did you get this info about applicants having average of 250 community service hours?

Just received and submitted the secondary. How long did it take for people to receive portal updates?

Just received and submitted the secondary. How long did it take for people to receive portal updates?

Usually takes 2 or 3. Sometimes 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been completed since 07/12 and no update. So I'd say it varies. If you are IS you should get an update sooner.

Should I even apply here with 503 mcat (123 lowest score), IS, 3.7, lots of service? My application would be late.

Should I even apply here with 503 mcat (123 lowest score), IS, 3.7, lots of service? My application would be late.
If you're applying to other programs still, you most likely have a better shot at your state ; I'd apply

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

VCU's minimum is 503 right? Then how is it possible that it's 10th percentile is a 503? Doesn't this mean that 10% of matriculants scored below a 503 :confused: Or did all 10% of matriculants score 503 exactly? Does VCU have sub-section minimums?

@Dean Mission - Thank you for answering questions here! I am interested in what VCU is looking for in volunteering experience. My most meaningful non-clinical volunteering is from over four years ago (I'm an older non-trad) and I'm concerned that my recent volunteer experience on amcas will not fit the volunteering preferences of the school (serving on committees to raise money, some leadership in a community service organization - not direct service to underserved). I have some great clinical volunteering from this past year with direct patient contact. Does the committee ever look at the whole picture or do volunteering experiences have a sort of expiration date? I am doing some really meaningful volunteering this year, but that is only something I can mention in an interview or response to what I have been doing between college and med school. Thanks for your help!