2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Portal updated this AM with an II! Only issue is, there is no interview scheduling tool in the portal as of right now :shrug: Hope fully it comes up later?

Either way, I've been complete since 07/05, pretty much thought I was out of the running for an II. Never had the "very interested" status - it's been the same old "sub-committee will do a review..." for the entire time.

(IS, LizzyM 68-71)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
@Dean Mission - Thank you for answering questions here! I am interested in what VCU is looking for in volunteering experience. My most meaningful non-clinical volunteering is from over four years ago (I'm an older non-trad) and I'm concerned that my recent volunteer experience on amcas will not fit the volunteering preferences of the school (serving on committees to raise money, some leadership in a community service organization - not direct service to underserved). I have some great clinical volunteering from this past year with direct patient contact. Does the committee ever look at the whole picture or do volunteering experiences have a sort of expiration date? I am doing some really meaningful volunteering this year, but that is only something I can mention in an interview or response to what I have been doing between college and med school. Thanks for your help!
VCU splits service into clinical and non-clinical service. Here are some things VCU looks at:
- Fund raising (either clinical or non-clinical) is not what is considered quality service. If there is ever a question about service, ask yourself if the efforts you are expending are directly affecting the people your service is directed toward.
- Beyond direct interaction, is the service ongoing and longitudinal in nature?
- By the way, clinical volunteering that gives one clinical exposure is not considered service.
- Is service bundled? Bundled experiences like spring break endeavors are not as good as dedicated service the whole year round.
- Service does not expire, but if your bread crumb trail of niceness suddenly stops for an extended period of time, that can be significantly problematic.
- The committee does look at the whole picture, but it is incumbent upon the applicant to provide easily accessible paths that might explain service gaps.

Last edited:
Just got moved to the "if you are granted an interview, we'll let you know" message.

gg VCU. Maybe next year I guess :/

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU splits service into clinical and non-clinical service. Here are some things VCU looks at:
- Fund raising (either clinical or non-clinical) is not what is considered quality service. If there is ever a question about service, ask yourself if the efforts you are expending are directly affecting the people your service is directed toward.
- By the way, clinical volunteering that gives one clinical exposure is not considered service.
- Is service bundled? Bundled experiences like spring break endeavors are not as good as dedicated service the whole year round.
- Service does not expire, but if your bread crumb trail of niceness suddenly stops for an extended period of time, that can be significantly problematic.
- The committee does look at the whole picture, but it is incumbent upon the applicant to provide easily accessible paths that might explain service gaps.
How would clinical volunteering not be considered service?

Thank you so much for your response! I was thinking along the same lines as what you wrote and completely understand the reasoning. My previous service was caring for women going through crises and required 50 hours of training (I had almost 400 hours of service over the years). I had to stop in 2008 during the recession when my salary took a huge hit for five years. I was in severe debt because I had agreed to pay off my parents' student loans. I started a business (while working) and later took on multiple additional jobs (which I somehow didn't think to put on my primary application). Finally paid the loans off, but then worked to get my husband through school. Just a few weeks after he graduated I started school over 2 hours from my house. I think it's difficult to get the full picture from my application - I mentioned what I was doing during my time off from school, but 1000 characters does not cover much. I may send the secondary in and hope for the best. But do let me know if you think that those service hours are far too old and I will not be competitive in any way. At this point we're trying to save as much money as possible as it's the first time I haven't had a full time job in 14 years.

How would clinical volunteering not be considered service?
Clinical exposure/shadowing is not service, it is training. Clinical service would be something on the lines of EMT, or volunteering at a hospital.

Thank you so much for your response! I was thinking along the same lines as what you wrote and completely understand the reasoning. My previous service was caring for women going through crises and required 50 hours of training (I had almost 400 hours of service over the years). I had to stop in 2008 during the recession when my salary took a huge hit for five years. I was in severe debt because I had agreed to pay off my parents' student loans. I started a business (while working) and later took on multiple additional jobs (which I somehow didn't think to put on my primary application). Finally paid the loans off, but then worked to get my husband through school. Just a few weeks after he graduated I started school over 2 hours from my house. I think it's difficult to get the full picture from my application - I mentioned what I was doing during my time off from school, but 1000 characters does not cover much. I may send the secondary in and hope for the best. But do let me know if you think that those service hours are far too old and I will not be competitive in any way. At this point we're trying to save as much money as possible as it's the first time I haven't had a full time job in 14 years.
It is fully understandable that you are one person and there are only 24 hrs in the day. Familial circumstances are always taken into account when weighing the merits of the application. You can't score a goal if you don't shoot.

Clinical exposure/shadowing is not service, it is training. Clinical service would be something on the lines of EMT, or volunteering at a hospital.

Does volunteering at a hospital doing patient rounding count as clinical service? I have 150 hours doing that and 120 hours doing shadowing (80 with a long-term physician mentor). I figured the 150 hours at the hospital did not count as service.

It is fully understandable that you are one person and there are only 24 hrs in the day. Familial circumstances are always taken into account when weighing the merits of the application. You can't score a goal if you don't shoot.

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate the time you have taken to answer everyone's questions here. I will apply and hope for the best!

Does volunteering at a hospital doing patient rounding count as clinical service? I have 150 hours doing that and 120 hours doing shadowing (80 with a long-term physician mentor). I figured the 150 hours at the hospital did not count as service.
It is unclear how "doing patient rounding" differs from shadowing; the way you have worded the question the two are fundamentally the same activity.

It is unclear how "doing patient rounding" differs from shadowing; the way you have worded the question the two are fundamentally the same activity.

My job was to go in to each patient's room and ask questions about the service they were receiving and write down their responses, then assist with any service issues. I did this without supervision (and I was not following a physician around). The nurses normally did the job during the week, but requested volunteer help when possible as it wasn't exactly their favorite job to do. I found it surprisingly enjoyable.

My job was to go in to each patient's room and ask questions about the service they were receiving and write down their responses, then assist with any service issues. I did this without supervision (and I was not following a physician around). The nurses normally did the job during the week, but requested volunteer help when possible as it wasn't exactly their favorite job to do. I found it surprisingly enjoyable.
That is clinical service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received the "very interested" email early this morning. Does anyone see a possibility where an applicant gets that email but does not receive an interview? The "adequate spots" part is making me doubt my initial giddiness :/ Thanks in advance for any feedback! :happy:

I also received the "very interested" email early this morning. Does anyone see a possibility where an applicant gets that email but does not receive an interview? The "adequate spots" part is making me doubt my initial giddiness :/ Thanks in advance for any feedback! :happy:
Probably high. I was super giddy too when I got this message. Not anymore, had it for a week now and many on here pointed out many had it for months last cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Darn, well hoping for the best! A SLIVER OF HOPE!

(if anyone is interested LM: 68, OOS, complete mid july)

Last edited:
Darn, well hoping for the best! A SLIVER OF HOPE!

(if anyone is interested: cGPA: 3.69, sGPA: 3.6, MCAT: 510)

Similar stands but im on-hold so youre doing better than me!

YOU GUYS!!! I just got an II, AND I was on the hold status before! Don't lose hope! I'm sure you guys are gonna ask soooo here ya go haha: IS, did not send an update or anything after getting hold status about 2ish weeks ago. Complete mid July. Stats in signature. Good luck everyone! (Took earliest interview date that was offered: Mid-November).

Reactions: 8 users
YOU GUYS!!! I just got an II, AND I was on the hold status before! Don't lose hope! I'm sure you guys are gonna ask soooo here ya go haha: IS, did not send an update or anything after getting hold status about 2ish weeks ago. Complete mid July. Stats in signature. Good luck everyone! (Took earliest interview date that was offered: Mid-November).
Congrats! Thats awesome! Do you mind me asking if you received an email/phone call/ portal update to notify you of the interview?

Congrats! Thats awesome! Do you mind me asking if you received an email/phone call/ portal update to notify you of the interview?
I got an email around 2:30 am last night telling me my portal status had changed. Checked my portal, and there the interview invite was. So happy! Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an email around 2:30 am last night telling me my portal status had changed. Checked my portal, and there the interview invite was. So happy! Hope this helps!

So when I wake up at 4:00 AM, checking my email is 100% justified.

Thank you.

Edit: But actually, good to know you were on the hold status before! I was worried that was the final nail in my coffin here.

I have an II! Just got it 5 minutes ago and they asked if I could come THIS Saturday. I have been mildly preparing for the MMI format but I am wondering if this is too short of a notice to adequately prepare? Is anyone else interviewing this Saturday?

Edit: I did do their CERT program so perhaps I got the II earlier than other applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
I have an II! Just got it 5 minutes ago and they asked if I could come THIS Saturday. I have been mildly preparing for the MMI format but I am wondering if this is too short of a notice to adequately prepare? Is anyone else interviewing this Saturday?

Dang, while it's great that you got one, I definitely would not go if you aren't 110% prepared for it. You can always ask to reschedule but I wouldn't blow my one shot at an interview at that school. Just my two cents :shrug:

Edit: I did do their CERT program so perhaps I got the II earlier than other applicants.

Honestly I "prepared" for MMI at VTC and I don't feel like it did much. The scenarios are so wildly different. I think if you just review format and go over a couple of the general ways to go about answering it and practice some timing you should be fine.

They called you?

Honestly I "prepared" for MMI at VTC and I don't feel like it did much. The scenarios are so wildly different. I think if you just review format and go over a couple of the general ways to go about answering it and practice some timing you should be fine.

Do you mean VCU?

Does anybody know how many secondaries get returned to VCU? Just trying to calculate my odds haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you qualify for the interview from the program or were you outside the stats? I did the program the year prior and have yet to hear anything. Thanks.

II just now! IS, complete around 7/8. No update to my portal but the admissions office emailed me.

Reactions: 3 users
AHHHHH IM SO CONFUSED BUT HAPPY? I got an email at 7 PM that I got an interview!! But my portal still says the "Your File Review is now complete..." message.

Why so late? Is this real? Why no change? Why is this process such an emotional roller coaster?

Guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow....

Reactions: 6 users
AHHHHH IM SO CONFUSED BUT HAPPY? I got an email at 7 PM that I got an interview!! But my portal still says the "Your File Review is now complete..." message.

Why so late? Is this real? Why no change? Why is this process such an emotional roller coaster?

Guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow....
This happened to me too. My guess is that their system only updates like 2x per day (like 4 pm and 4 am) so at 7 we missed the first update and will get like the 4am update instead. There's definitely no need to worry.

So I just called... scheduled it for Tuesday... what is happening T_____T

Reactions: 4 users
So for all the people as neurotic as me...

I'm IS. Undergrad gpa 3.47, grad gpa 4.0, MCAT 509-511. Doing a SMP right now. I have some okay ECs I think hahaha. Had the File Review is now complete since I completed ~7/8ish, no change (not even now)... randomly got an email at 7 PM tonight.

So for all the people as neurotic as me...

I'm IS. Undergrad gpa 3.47, grad gpa 4.0, MCAT 509-511. Doing a SMP right now. I have some okay ECs I think hahaha. Had the File Review is now complete since I completed ~7/8ish, no change (not even now)... randomly got an email at 7 PM tonight.
Congrats! I'm also IS and hoping for some love... :/

Woke up to an II this morning!!! It's my first one so I'm super excited. IS, 3.89 GPA, 515 MCAT. I was a bit worried because I don't have a huge amount of non-clinical community service and I know that's really important to them. I had the "file review complete" status the whole time until now.

Reactions: 8 users
Woke up to an II this morning!!! It's my first one so I'm super excited. IS, 3.89 GPA, 515 MCAT. I was a bit worried because I don't have a huge amount of non-clinical community service and I know that's really important to them. I had the "file review complete" status the whole time until now.

When did you submit/receive complete status?