2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! IS. Wow.
Congrats! As a fellow instate applicant, may I ask what your stats are? Twiddling my thumbs and waiting patiently for an II.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL Phoenix is honestly a joke for doing stuff like this. I truly don't care if this comes across as bitter. The matriculation rate of students who have such high MCAT/GPA is probably not high at Phoenix, considering the ultimate MCAT average is only a 509. It's ludicrous to hand out a significant number of interviews to candidates with extremely high stats who are unlikely to go to Phoenix in the first place, yet the school continues to do so.
On the other hand, an IS applicant may as well prefer to go here due to the advantage of paying lower fees and staying close to the community. On a different note, I hope the ban on gottalovearizona is lifted. He/She was just expressing frustration at a perceived (right/wrong) injustice.

do you mind sharing your stats? I think you're the first person on SDN accepted at this school, so congrats
Why are you on probationary status pal? You have a positive avatar and frankly, I have not seen any disrespectful posts from you. Hmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nearing 3 months since my secondary submission :unsure:. UA love me as much as I love you :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
On the other hand, an IS applicant may as well prefer to go here due to the advantage of paying lower fees and staying close to the community. On a different note, I hope the ban on gottalovearizona is lifted. He/She was just expressing frustration at a perceived (right/wrong) injustice.

Just for the record, the "gottaloveaz" account was banned for having multiple accounts and violating the terms of service that prohibit this. I was NOT banned because of the content of any of my posts. Though my posts were inflammatory, they were not personal insults/incendiary/laced with profanity. Good luck to everyone. This account will also likely be banned because of the multiple accounts terms, but I just wanted to let future posters/readers know that it wasn't the content of my posts that led to my ban. It was having multiple accounts. I stand by my belief that the UA COM Phoenix, though a great school filled with nice people, could and should be more friendly to in-state applicants.

I am glad that account was banned though. I think it's a great reminder that while this process can be incredibly frustrating, venting on SDN can be counterproductive and unhealthy for your state of mind. I plan to speak directly with UA Phoenix administration about my concerns, depending on how the cycle turns out. I think that might be more mature and productive than simply posting on SDN. I also plan to stay off SDN. I have already submitted my application and whether or not I receive an interview has no relation to how often I post or check SDN. Again, good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Just for the record, the "gottaloveaz" account was banned for having multiple accounts and violating the terms of service that prohibit this. I was NOT banned because of the content of any of my posts. Though my posts were inflammatory, they were not personal insults/incendiary/laced with profanity. Good luck to everyone. This account will also likely be banned because of the multiple accounts terms, but I just wanted to let future posters/readers know that it wasn't the content of my posts that led to my ban. It was having multiple accounts. I stand by my belief that the UA COM Phoenix, though a great school filled with nice people, could and should be more friendly to in-state applicants.
Got it. Best wishes to you. Hopefully, you will get into one of the two AZ schools.

Congrats to all those accepted! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Please also remember there is a time and place for expressing frustrations and continuing to do so in a thread where you start to sound like a broken record isn't the best way to do this.

Reactions: 1 users

Please also remember there is a time and place for expressing frustrations and continuing to do so in a thread where you start to sound like a broken record isn't the best way to do this.

I acknowledged that I sounded like a broken record. At the same time, applicants should not be silenced on SDN and dissent should not be discouraged. You are a current student, in a position of relative power compared to applicants, and many of your comments promote suppression of critical comments towards UA Phoenix. Constructive criticism should not be silenced. I have repeatedly said the institute is great and I have no personal problem with anyone there. While I might have repeated myself, I had valid concerns about the IS/OOS split at UA Phoenix. I want others on SDN to know that the account making those complaints about UA Phoenix not being in-state friendly was not banned because of any content--it was only banned because the user had multiple accounts, which isn't allowed on SDN. If applicants have these beliefs about a public institution, we have every right to voice those complaints either in an online forum or in person.

It's also amusing to me that you say there's a time and place to do this and that doing it in a forum isn't productive, without specifying alternatives. We are applicants and therefore have very little knowledge about how admissions offices actually work and how our opinions, if valid, might create change. It's a classic example of someone being inside the institution and trying to silence dissent without providing us with a pathway to actually voice our concerns. If you have a specific alternative you could offer us, that would be great. Otherwise, you seem like you are just silencing any critical opinions of your medical school.

Last edited:
+1 . I really wish this school would take updates but they dont. I am IS and live half an hour away. I would love to stay near my family if possible. Im not too hopeful at this point.
They reject people as they go if they aren't interested, including IS applicants. If you haven't heard back, it means you are actually being considered for an interview...and there are still around 100 IS interviews left, going by past averages.

+1 . I really wish this school would take updates but they dont. I am IS and live half an hour away. I would love to stay near my family if possible. Im not too hopeful at this point.

+2. Submitted late August, though, and I'm OOS. I check my Status tab everyday to read "Your application is now under review." I will be seriously shocked to get an interview.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't remember but does Phoenix send "hold" emails to borderline candidates pre-II or not? Or is months of silence basically Phoenix's way of putting an applicant on hold?

IS, interviewed 8/21, received an email on 10/16 stating, "the committee is requesting to keep your application active for further consideration"... Anyone have any idea how hopeful I should be on this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS, interviewed 8/21, received an email on 10/16 stating, "the committee is requesting to keep your application active for further consideration"... Anyone have any idea how hopeful I should be on this one?

Definitely a great sign! Most interviewees that aren’t accepted right out are rejected. But a few are kept to be re-reviewed at the next decision date. Phoenix is not a school that will string you along with holds until March/April, so hold is definitely not bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I acknowledged that I sounded like a broken record. At the same time, applicants should not be silenced on SDN and dissent should not be discouraged. You are a current student, in a position of relative power compared to applicants, and many of your comments promote suppression of critical comments towards UA Phoenix. Constructive criticism should not be silenced. I have repeatedly said the institute is great and I have no personal problem with anyone there. While I might have repeated myself, I had valid concerns about the IS/OOS split at UA Phoenix. I want others on SDN to know that the account making those complaints about UA Phoenix not being in-state friendly was not banned because of any content--it was only banned because the user had multiple accounts, which isn't allowed on SDN. If applicants have these beliefs about a public institution, we have every right to voice those complaints either in an online forum or in person.

It's also amusing to me that you say there's a time and place to do this and that doing it in a forum isn't productive, without specifying alternatives. We are applicants and therefore have very little knowledge about how admissions offices actually work and how our opinions, if valid, might create change. It's a classic example of someone being inside the institution and trying to silence dissent without providing us with a pathway to actually voice our concerns. If you have a specific alternative you could offer us, that would be great. Otherwise, you seem like you are just silencing any critical opinions of your medical school.

No one is trying to "silence" you. I'm just saying what you're doing here is not productive at all. You're kinda acting like an internet troll. Complaining on a forum doesn't really do much. Engaging in conversation with administration is a positive way to make change. I'm not the administration.

That's still good! I have classmates that were in your place and still were accepted.

For those who've interviewed already, how was the MMI structured? Were they more conversational question and answer affairs or did you more or less present a monologue?

For those who've interviewed already, how was the MMI structured? Were they more conversational question and answer affairs or did you more or less present a monologue?

The questions ranged, and typically were conversational with the interviewers having follow-up questions for us. I found that most interviewers will ask you to answer the prompt first and give you some time to elaborate on it, kind of like a brief monologue, then have a follow up question or two for you. All in all it was not that stressful and, surprisingly, I found it slightly enjoyable. I would suggest finding example MMI questions online or watching Youtube videos about answering MMI prompts for some practice. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from admissions today? I was placed under re-review and told I may get an update today

Last edited:
lol spoke too soon, cha boy is on re-review post interview as well (OOS)

Looks like some more IIs went out over the weekend. Wonder who the lucky ones are.

Looks like some more IIs went out over the weekend. Wonder who the lucky ones are.
I find it very interesting that for both Tucson and Phoenix, the in state applicant number has actually been lower than in past years while the OOS pool has grown significantly.

Has anyone heard from admissions today? I was placed under re-review and told I may get an update today

I'm in the same boat. Got a second email today at 11:00am saying the exact same thing as the first, but now extended to Nov 13. Good luck!

Curious how people who got rejected or put on hold post-interview felt their interviews went?

Curious how people who got rejected or put on hold post-interview felt their interviews went?

I am currently on hold post-interview (8/21). I felt like it went pretty well! None of the questions tripped me up at all. Everyone was extremely friendly and the entire visit day was enjoyable. That being said, it was my first interview (and therefore first experience with MMI) so I could be totally off base with my impressions!

Accepted last week, September interview. OOS, LizzyM ~75. I know there is banter here about high stats and OOS candidates and so I wanted to give my perspective. I was thrilled to be accepted and was attracted to the school’s culture, certainly, but also to the opportunities UofA Phoenix offered (research, scholarly project, small class size, clinical partners, match results of previous classes, etc.). At my interview day, I felt like I belonged here and had “that feeling” traveling home. I feel like I got in largely due to the unique aspects of my application and by weaving those aspects into my MMI responses to remind my interviewers about why they invited me in the first place. I’ve also been accepted elsewhere and it will be a really tough decision for me. Hopefully that helps anyone else considering UofA Phoenix in this application cycle or future ones.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently on hold post-interview (8/21). I felt like it went pretty well! None of the questions tripped me up at all. Everyone was extremely friendly and the entire visit day was enjoyable. That being said, it was my first interview (and therefore first experience with MMI) so I could be totally off base with my impressions!

Thanks for sharing! Hope you get good news soon!

I recently interviewed and got such a great impression from this school. Then I got home and told a friend how excited I was and they said the school recently was threatened they might lose their accreditation. Anybody know detail on this?

There were some questions a few years ago about accreditation, especially with all of the administration turnover, but I'm pretty sure those have been resolved and everything has been stable for some time now. They just received full accreditation this summer, after all.

I recently interviewed and got such a great impression from this school. Then I got home and told a friend how excited I was and they said the school recently was threatened they might lose their accreditation. Anybody know detail on this?

COM-P received full acreditation from LCME in June this year. You can also see the listing from the LCME site that shows the same.

I am a MS2 here. During my year of application, there was a lot of talk about the school and the rumor mill about losing accreditation. We passed the accreditation process with no issues at all. I had other choices, and couldn’t be happier with my decision to come here. Feel feel to ask any questions that you may have.

Reactions: 3 users
@BamaNicole can you weigh in on the above question?

When we were moving forward in the accreditation process, we had just signed a deal with banner and there were some unanswered questions. The LCME committee wanted them answered before we moved forward. That happened and we moved forward. We received full accreditation this summer and we're not in danger of losing it.

If there was any question, you would go to this webpage http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/ and look at the programs. If a program was on the LCME's radar, then it would be placed on probation. That would be listed here. We are not nor were we ever placed on probation. We are a fully accredited medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Typically how long does it take from Secondary to Status Update (II or Rejection) for them to get back to you? Oh the wait is agonizing

Typically how long does it take from Secondary to Status Update (II or Rejection) for them to get back to you? Oh the wait is agonizing

I have been complete since around ~ July 15th and nothing. No news is relatively "good" news though since Phoenix doesn't do silent rejections and they have already sent many rejections to peeps complete over summer. I'd imagine if you were complete in July/early August, your app has probably already gone through an initial review, so if that's you, consider yourself still in the running for an II. I don't think there is a "typical" wait time from the time of secondary submission to receiving an II or rejection as it depends on several factors. Again if you are a borderline applicant, it will likely take longer than someone who is an obvious rejection.

I have also been complete for about 3 months. I think what admissions does for borderline applicants is wait till they get all applications to compare before rejecting or inviting for an interview.
yeah! i guess if you haven't heard either, we are probably borderline candidates who may be waiting til the end of the cycle. good luck and hang in there. this process sucks major lol

yeah! i guess if you haven't heard either, we are probably borderline candidates who may be waiting til the end of the cycle. good luck and hang in there. this process sucks major lol
Yes, the thing that sucks is that there are roughly 80 IS interviews and 80 OOS interviews left, based on previous averages...so we could still receive one. However, it's also possible we just stay in the pile and then are part of the last batch of rejections. This means that we were borderline and being considered up until the very end, which I guess is a slight positive, but in the end, the outcome ends up the same as someone who was rejected in October itself, which is extremely dejecting. Not blaming the school for this...just saying applying to med school can truly be a depressing and miserable experience.

Yes, the thing that sucks is that there are roughly 80 IS interviews and 80 OOS interviews left, based on previous averages...so we could still receive one. However, it's also possible we just stay in the pile and then are part of the last batch of rejections. This means that we were borderline and being considered up until the very end, which I guess is a slight positive, but in the end, the outcome ends up the same as someone who was rejected in October itself, which is extremely dejecting. Not blaming the school for this...just saying applying to med school can truly be a depressing and miserable experience.

Are you guys IS or OOS? I'm IS. Stats aren't everything with this school. I know someone with a 25 mcat who is attending this school granted she is IS though but still lol. I have a great gpa, not so great mcat, URM, and application with focus on serving underprivileged. I haven't been rejected yet with a LizzyM score of 63 so they must see something in my application.
OOS from CA w/ LM in mid 60s, nontrad, URM, and lots of medical research/publications, and MPH

Thanks all for the feedback and info! I have friends who are med students here and they LOVE Arizona :)

We already put our best foot forward and all we can do is wait. Good luck to everyone and pls keep us updated about your status!

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in and throw this out there for IS students who may worry about less than stellar stats.

If you are socioeconomically disadvantaged, or from rural Arizona, or from a federally recognized American Indian tribe or a first generation college student or are committed to service in underserved and diverse communities; you may qualify for the Pathway Scholars Program. I would encourage you to check out the Pathways page on U of A COM-P’s website and schedule a campus tour for more comprehensive info.

The application is a separate application but I believe there is a way to import letters of rec from AMCAS (if memory serves me correctly). The application closes December 1st!

Regardless, good luck to you all in your pursuit!

*waiting for that phone call or e-mail*

Last edited:
Anyone have any advice for why I'm getting no IS love? LM 72-73, two OOS II so far and four rejections out of 25 schools. No response from Phoenix, and put on an interview hold for Tucson a while ago. Complete early August and starting to feel that I took a wrong turn in my app somehow for these schools.

Last edited:
How's your community service EC's? These schools take their mission fairly seriously so if you haven't shown a penchant for serving the community that may be an issue.

Anyone have any advice for why I'm getting no IS love? LM 72-73, two OOS II so far and four rejections out of 25 schools. No response from Phoenix, and put on an interview hold for Tucson a while ago. Complete early August and starting to feel that I took a wrong turn in my app somehow for these schools.

lol...this process is so weird. Go look at the admissions tracker and you'll see that since the last update, exactly one interview has been given out since the last update. Who is that lucky ONE individual...how exactly did the reviewers determine last week that this ONE person should get an interview?

Also, could the official UA phx sdn account provide some sort of an update some time soon? How many interviews are left? When will the final interviews be handed out?