2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix values its culture, curriculum, and the community it serves. Which aspect(s) do you value the most? (required, 350 words max)

How have the last 12–18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine? (required, 350 words max)

UA College of Medicine – Phoenix, in part, defines diversity as “Inclusive Excellence”. How will you add value – in these terms – to our learning community? (required, 350 words max)

What else should the Admissions Committee know about you? Note: please do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above. (required, 350 words max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to everyone applying this year! I'm a current fourth year and I'll be checking in every once and awhile this cycle to answer any questions you may have.

I do also answer by direct message. I want to lay out, however, there are some things I can answer and others that would be better for admissions...which our Dean of Admissions comes here to help out quite often and he's really nice. If you have general questions about the school, what's it like to be a med student here, what my experience as been, what pre-clinical years are like and what 3rd year is like as well and other questions like that.....I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Things I may not be able to answer would be credit specific questions (i.e. I took x biology class. Does it count towards the physiology requirement?), chances for out-of-state students (I will tell you that I'm a OOS student) or anything that is super specific to your application. Those questions would be better answered by admissions who is always ready to hear from you if you email them. I could try to give you my opinion but I don't wanna lead you astray so I don't really answer those questions.

Other than that....fire away and good luck this cycle!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Also just chiming in to say I would be more than happy to help anyone applying to this school. I am just getting ready to start my first year, so obviously, I don't know have as much experience as @BamaNicole. But I know how helpful it is to get feedback from current students in different situations, and I found the various insights super helpful as I was navigating applications just a year ago.

Anyway, like I said, I haven't started school yet, but UACOM-PHX was so warm and welcoming during every step of the process. As stated above, feel free to reach out to admissions or current students on this thread. Everyone is more than happy to help. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone. I've lived in Phoenix for 30 years so this school is definitely at the top of my list!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Hello to everyone applying this year! I'm a current fourth year and I'll be checking in every once and awhile this cycle to answer any questions you may have.

I do also answer by direct message. I want to lay out, however, there are some things I can answer and others that would be better for admissions...which our Dean of Admissions comes here to help out quite often and he's really nice. If you have general questions about the school, what's it like to be a med student here, what my experience as been, what pre-clinical years are like and what 3rd year is like as well and other questions like that.

Things I may not be able to answer would be credit specific questions (i.e. I took x biology class. Does it count towards the physiology requirement?), chances for out-of-state students (I will tell you that I'm a OOS student) or anything that is super specific to your application. Those questions would be better answered by admissions who is always ready to hear from you if you email them. I could try to give you my opinion but I don't wanna lead you astray so I don't really answer those questions.

Other than that....fire away and good luck this cycle!

Has anything changed since the Dr Reed took over as dean? Also, I know it hasn't been very long, but have there been any changes since President Robbins took over UofA from your perspective?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anything changed since the Dr Reed took over as dean? Also, I know it hasn't been very long, but have there been any changes since President Robbins took over UofA from your perspective?

Not that I've noticed. Everything is the same which was to be expected. I'm not 100% if he's officially taken over yet but I don't think there's going to be major changes. There were some changes when Dean Ramos took over which included things like "Dean's Hour" where he would answer any and all questions regarding the college. It was pretty neat since it allowed more transparency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not that I've noticed. Everything is the same which was to be expected. I'm not 100% if he's officially taken over yet but I don't think there's going to be major changes. There were some changes when Dean Ramos took over which included thinks like "Dean's Hour" where he would answer any and all questions regarding the college. It was pretty neat since it allowed more transparency.

Awesome, thanks for the answer!

What are your thoughts on having the first two years condensed in order to start clerkships earlier? Did you feel like the workload was manageable, or did it feel overwhelming at all to you?

Awesome, thanks for the answer!

What are your thoughts on having the first two years condensed in order to start clerkships earlier? Did you feel like the workload was manageable, or did it feel overwhelming at all to you?

I was honestly worried that it would be overwhelming and I had that in mind when I was going in. However, its completely doable. Looking back, I'm really glad that we had those condensed two years and started clerkships earlier. I was able to make my decision and apply for aways earlier which I think really helps us.

@BamaNicole @Tantor Would either/both of you be able to share why you chose Phoenix over the Tucson campus? If you don't want to post it on the thread then my inbox is open!

@BamaNicole @Tantor Would either/both of you be able to share why you chose Phoenix over the Tucson campus? If you don't want to post it on the thread then my inbox is open!

So for me I didn't apply to Tucson. I had to chose to apply to either Phoenix or Tucson and the reason I chose Phoenix is because its in a bigger metropolitan area. I felt that it would offer more clinical opportunities and their fit seemed better to me.

I am in-state, so obviously I applied to both. Going into it, I thought for sure I would pick Tucson over Phoenix, but Phoenix won me over on interview day. As stated above, I loved the environment of Phoenix with the larger metropolitan area and the variety of hospitals. I felt that the students and faculty were very warm and encouraging in a very professional way. Phoenix is newer and younger as a school, but I see that as an asset because the faculty and students are determined to succeed. You can tell everyone is committed to the school and making it great, and I feel they will pull me up with them, if that makes sense.

On a more personal level, I just had a much better experience at my Phoenix interview. The students were more professional and seemed happier; the interview process was much more organized; the faculty seemed much more invested in the student body. I know many people who had the opposite experience where they loved Tucson—and I'm sure it's a great school—but I personally loved my Phoenix interview and didn't love my Tucson one.

I watched last match day of U of A Phoenix on YouTube. 5 people matched ortho. I don't remember all the numbers but their match was extremely impressive as far as I remember.

This is great news for the college. We have been granted full accreditation. Here's a screen shot of the email from Dean Ramos.

To those asking about the new Dean....he transitions in in July 21st in time for the Class of 2021's white coat ceremony.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 7.43.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 7.43.02 PM.png
    83 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is great news for the college. We have been granted full accreditation. Here's a screen shot of the email from Dean Ramos.

To those asking about the new Dean....he transitions in in July 21st in time for the Class of 2021's white coat ceremony.
Awesome news!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

That's awesome news.

MS4 here willing to answer any questions about the school and living in Phoenix as an OOS student. In sum, mostly happy with my education and Phoenix. After going through 3 years of medical school and speaking with friends who go to other medical schools (MD/DO) across the country, I do think UA Phoenix is a great school. Many of the cons are not exclusive to UA, but rather common among medical education as a whole. The pass/fail curriculum without ranking cannot be emphasized enough as a very important factor to your mental wellbeing in medical school. Full accreditation helps too.

I had the chance to speak briefly with the new president of the University of Arizona, and he was very clear that one of his largest focuses will be on both the Tucson and Phoenix medical programs. I think having a physician leading the university will be a great thing.

How receptive is UA-Phoenix towards OOS applicants?

Secondary just came in.

Prompts @gyngyn

The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix values its culture, curriculum, and the community it serves. Which aspect(s) do you value the most? (required, 350 words max)

How have the last 12–18 months confirmed your desire to pursue a career in medicine? (required, 350 words max)

UA College of Medicine – Phoenix, in part, defines diversity as “Inclusive Excellence”. How will you add value – in these terms – to our learning community? (required, 350 words max)

What else should the Admissions Committee know about you? Note: please do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above. (required, 350 words max)

Secondary just came in.

Prompts @gyngyn

Are a AZ resident? No secondaries for me yet and I'm OOS

Just to make sure you meet the requirements in regards to MCAT and GPA....unless its changed then anyone please feel free to correct me.
MD Admission Requirements - Academic

Word of advice....check your spam box. My invite was sitting there for around two weeks before I realized it.

Thanks for the reminder. I caught the Dartmouth secondary in there a couple days ago and an order confirmation for a bag today. My spam filter might be a little too excitable.

Received the secondary about half an hour ago. OOS

I just realized that UA-Phoenix requires human physiology?!! What if we don't have it/school didn't offer?

I just realized that UA-Phoenix requires human physiology?!! What if we don't have it/school didn't offer?

Human or mammalian. If you have any class that could possibly cover that requirement, there's a place in the secondary to add the course and explain why.

Just submitted this beast. Good luck everyone!

Thinking about adding this school on! IL resident with below-average stats but tons of clinical experiences.

Does anyone know when UA phoenix will expand its class size to 120?

Guys, I know everyone was extremely worried... But I have received my secondary and submitted it. (Today 7/18)

Will suggest to all future pre-meds, whatever you do, do NOT use hotmail as your primary contact email address on AMCAS bc Hotmail sucks and will not let your secondaries through.

S/o to the adcom's for being there at 7am as I sheepishly asked "Could I get a secondary pls..?" and sending another immediately over the phone.

It's a good day.

submitted yesterday! In deep need of some lovin', Arizona!

Joining the thread. Still pulling my secondary together.
Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if the question listed below is in this year's secondary? Thank you!

Have you previously applied to The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix? If answered yes, why do you feel you are a stronger applicant this year? (required, 350 words max)
If you are a reapplicant, then yes!