2017-2018 Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
status on vitals "At this time, we have decided to defer a final decision on your application until we have had the opportunity to review more applicants." interview 3/5. absolutely crushed :(

Members don't see this ad.

Deferred. Interviewed 2/28. A little surprised, but I knew the chances of getting out right accepted were slim this late in the game.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
status on vitals "At this time, we have decided to defer a final decision on your application until we have had the opportunity to review more applicants." interview 3/5. absolutely crushed :(

It’s alright, I was deferred too. They take a lot of people from the defer list and there will be a lot of movement in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Also deferred today oos. Any more acceptances/rejections, or were most of us deferred?

they acknowledged my update letter from last week just now-a few schools didn't even respond to ones I sent near the end of interviews last month so who knows if this means something good haha

Accepted! Got the text from Dr. Capers last night. This is my first acceptance this year and I am SO relieved.

Stats: OOS, nontrad, 3.97, 32 MCAT, interviewed 3/7 (I was called to fill in for someone who cancelled)

Reactions: 17 users
Accepted! Got the text from Dr. Capers last night. This is my first acceptance this year and I am SO relieved.

Stats: OOS, nontrad, 3.97, 32 MCAT, interviewed 3/7 (I was called to fill in for someone who cancelled)
Congrats!! You're gonna be a doctor!!

By the way, how do you know if you were filling in for someone else's spot? Do they straight up tell you that?

Congrats!! You're gonna be a doctor!!

By the way, how do you know if you were filling in for someone else's spot? Do they straight up tell you that?
Yes. They straight up told me that I was filling in someone else's spot when they invited me to interview.

Yes. They straight up told me that I was filling in someone else's spot when they invited me to interview.
Also deffered today. Does anyone know if anyone is outright rejected? I know at the interview day they said you can be but i haven't seen any post about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don’t outright reject anybody right now. MSAR says a 400 person WL so I’m assuming a lot will be thrown on the WL
Pretty sure they said at the interview day they do reject, no? I imagine its just a relatively small percentage and they arent reported on here.

I have heard anectodal stories of rejection candidates from here and the admissions director, but they seem to be outlier interviews (in a bad way)

There is def going to be a large WL that most wont get off of, but I dont believe we can know where we stand at this point.

So is deferral different than waitlist?

Yeah deferral just means they haven't decided yet if they want you or not. So from deferral you can still end up accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. I believe they said April 5th was the last decision day so we'll get assigned one of those three then.

Yeah deferral just means they haven't decided yet if they want you or not. So from deferral you can still end up accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. I believe they said April 5th was the last decision day so we'll get assigned one of those three then.
How confident are you about the April 5th date? Schools can take so much time and I just want to start making plans for next year...

Reactions: 1 user
How confident are you about the April 5th date? Schools can take so much time and I just want to start making plans for next year...

I was looking at last year's thread, and it seems April 5th isn't the end date for the deferred list. A lot of people are taken off around May 1st, and the rest are moved to the waitlist which didn't see movement until June-ish.

Plus they are behind this year and will probably be interviewing til about early april so the committee will probably meet a couple more times than normal

I was looking at last year's thread, and it seems April 5th isn't the end date for the deferred list. A lot of people are taken off around May 1st, and the rest are moved to the waitlist which didn't see movement until June-ish.

Didn’t realize they could avoid making an initial decision until after April 30 drop date

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure, I'm just going based off what they told us... but yeah I definitely agree, I really just want to know what school I'm going to

Anyone having trouble with the online portal?

STILL SO EXCITED

Looks like next week is their last week of interviews :(

On OSUcollegeofmed Instagram it says registration for second look ends next week. Do people who get acceptances after that date not have an option to attend second look?

Anybody heard about IIs for next week? Havent seen anybody post about it and everybody that I know who has applied hasnt heard from them/dont have friends who have gotten IIs for next week. Maybe they will go out this weekend very last minute?

Anybody heard about IIs for next week? Havent seen anybody post about it and everybody that I know who has applied hasnt heard from them/dont have friends who have gotten IIs for next week. Maybe they will go out this weekend very last minute?
I would imagine they are already out, except for maybe last minute cancellations

For those deferred, do you know where in Vitals to upload updates? Or should be email them to admissions?

Any deferred applicants trying to go to second look? The registration link just popped up in a post from them on my Facebook timeline and I'm still kind of holding out hope.

EDIT: Nevermind, clicked the link and no registration, just a brochure.

Got a call from a 614 number. The guy said he was calling from OSU and I was freaking out.......turns out they just wanted a donation. I SWEAR I MAY DIE. If I dont get an II here, Im never picking up a 614 number cuz its for donations (just a warning for those who matriculate here: the school will call you at least once a month about a donation)

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone comment on the LSI part 3 16 week advanced competencies? If one chooses an elective in research within this, is it feasible to have a project complete or atleast underway in time to include in residency apps? Or are these usually late in the fourth year?

How many people tend to do clinical research within this, and is it usually all 16 weeks to work on something or is it just a single 4 week block? Thanks.

Got a call from a 614 number. The guy said he was calling from OSU and I was freaking out.......turns out they just wanted a donation. I SWEAR I MAY DIE. If I dont get an II here, Im never picking up a 614 number cuz its for donations (just a warning for those who matriculate here: the school will call you at least once a month about a donation)
FYI its from the same number every time (I now have it memorized) and I just dont pick up those calls anymore.

FYI its from the same number every time (I now have it memorized) and I just dont pick up those calls anymore.
I thought it was gonna be like "hi this is Georgia and we want you to come thru on wedneday" but instead they wanted me to donate and Im like.......I literally work here and they dont pay me enough to have any money to donate but thanks tho.

I thought it was gonna be like "hi this is Georgia and we want you to come thru on wedneday" but instead they wanted me to donate and Im like.......I literally work here and they dont pay me enough to have any money to donate but thanks tho.
If they keep calling me, I will eventually pick up and be like:
“Hi, I am about to go a quarter- to half-million in debt for medical school, so as you can imagine I am not in position to make any donations right now. So you could you please put me on a do not call list for about 20 years or so?

Unless of course you can convince the med school to let me in, in which case I pinky swear I will pass on all my savings to you!”

If they keep calling me, I will eventually pick up and be like:
“Hi, I am about to go a quarter- to half-million in debt for medical school, so as you can imagine I am not in position to make any donations right now. So you could you please put me on a do not call list for about 20 years or so?

Unless of course you can convince the med school to let me in, in which case I pinky swear I will pass on all my savings to you!”
"Hello but I already made a $100 one time donation to OSU and the College of Medicine".

Reactions: 6 users
Soooo.... anybody with any inside knowledge on how the rest of the cycle goes here? I saw above that maybe there was a meeting April 6th. Is that a meeting where they review everybody again and make final decisions that will be updated after traffic day April 30? Or is it just a normal short-ish meeting where they review the most recent interviewees and maybe a few deferred candidates, and then they'll have another meeting near the end of this month or after April 30? I have an update I'm getting ready to submit and I'm wondering if I should make sure to get it in ASAP if this is their last last meeting...

Withdrawing my acceptance. Goodluck to y'all on the waitlist!

Reactions: 11 users
Withdrawing my acceptance. Goodluck to y'all on the waitlist!
If only more people were like you and withdrew there acceptances earlier than April 30th, people like me would know what to do with our lives. Just wondering where are you going instead?

If only more people were like you and withdrew there acceptances earlier than April 30th, people like me would know what to do with our lives. Just wondering where are you going instead?

Yea lol there is no point sitting on it if you know you aren't going there. Mayo (AZ)
Goodluck!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Soooo.... anybody with any inside knowledge on how the rest of the cycle goes here? I saw above that maybe there was a meeting April 6th. Is that a meeting where they review everybody again and make final decisions that will be updated after traffic day April 30? Or is it just a normal short-ish meeting where they review the most recent interviewees and maybe a few deferred candidates, and then they'll have another meeting near the end of this month or after April 30? I have an update I'm getting ready to submit and I'm wondering if I should make sure to get it in ASAP if this is their last last meeting...

I have in my notes that deferred applicants will be given an acceptance/rejection/waitlist on April 5th. I know before I was deferred they said the committee was meeting on the Monday the week before they released decisions, so they might have already met? I would submit the update.

Reactions: 1 user
I have in my notes that deferred applicants will be given an acceptance/rejection/waitlist on April 5th. I know before I was deferred they said the committee was meeting on the Monday the week before they released decisions, so they might have already met? I would submit the update.
Really?! Wow that's great news. Stoked for April 5th!

This just skyrocketed my anxiety lol.

B9ChWttIIAExkUJ.jpg