2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm a current student here and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about NYMC. Feel free to tag me in a post or send a PM. I recommend taking a look at last year's application thread for timeline and FAQ type things, there's some good info in there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know any details about fulfilling the English requirement @nymc? The website says that the English prerequisite can be fulfilled by completing the English requirements of your specific institution. My program had no specific english requirement. However, I was required to complete a specific amount of courses that were designated as writing or essay courses. Would this suffice? anybody have experience with this?

Hey does anyone know any details about fulfilling the English requirement @nymc? The website says that the English prerequisite can be fulfilled by completing the English requirements of your specific institution. My program had no specific english requirement. However, I was required to complete a specific amount of courses that were designated as writing or essay courses. Would this suffice? anybody have experience with this?
I think your school's writing requirement will suffice!

Reactions: 1 user
@21Rush12 Would you have any experience with the above question?

anyone else take the CASPer and was never given their 15min break?! i was looking forward to it the whole time i was taking the exam and it never came.

Finished Casper. No idea how NYMC is going to evaluate it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

anyone else take the CASPer and was never given their 15min break?! i was looking forward to it the whole time i was taking the exam and it never came.

I powered through mine.

I'm sure you did better than you think. Honestly not even sure what to think my head was just whirling the whole time but I'm going to hope for the best lol.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

WTF? you guys didn't get a break? I totally used ALL 15 mins of mine. It would have sucked even more without the break :(

Members don't see this ad :)
WTF? you guys didn't get a break? I totally used ALL 15 mins of mine. It would have sucked even more without the break :(

Honestly, I used a solid 3 minutes of my break, got up, stretched etc. Then for about 30 seconds before I started the exam again, I stared into the camera as passionately and sensually as I could...hopefully that earns me a few points.

Oh also... NYMC hook it up with a secondary if that's cool.. thanks guys.

Reactions: 3 users
I knew my intimate stare into the camera would work! Secondary received about 20 minutes ago.

Reactions: 1 users
I took my CASPer in June and still haven't received a secondary! Must not have been staring into the camera sensually enough

I think when I licked my lips and blew the camera a kiss they knew it was real

Reactions: 2 users
@21Rush12 Would you have any experience with the above question?

The best you can do is write an email to [email protected] asking for advice. My personal opinion is that whatever your writing and language requirement was in undergrad will suffice but I can't be sure. Don't worry, you're still plenty early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think your school's writing requirement will suffice!

The best you can do is write an email to [email protected] asking for advice. My personal opinion is that whatever your writing and language requirement was in undergrad will suffice but I can't be sure. Don't worry, you're still plenty early.

I appreciate your feedback. I have contacted admissions and they have confirmed that I fulfill the requirements. Thanks

Anyone else still not receive their secondary?

You'll get secondaries, don't worry. The secondary is minimal if I recall. They probably send out in batches early in the cycle because of the huge influx of primary applications. Remember, the 2017 matriculating class is still getting settled.

Can anyone comment on how stringent the requirement for a LoR from a professor in your major is? My major simply has a policy not to write letters until I've taken more intimate, smaller courses with professors this upcoming year, so I really can't get one yet. I can't fulfill the secondary without indicating a letter from my major so I'm not sure what the best course of action is

Primary sent out yesterday and got secondary today. Not really expecting this to go anywhere though.

@BurntFlower @fldoctorgirl @bengirlxD I just want to let you guys know that all 4 of us have been in the same school threads over and over. It appears we're all from GA/FL. Maybe we'll all meet at an interview! :biglove::welcome:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! Fellow non-trad here concerned with the non-science LOR. What did you end up doing?

I am curious as well. I am a graduate student. I have graduate professor/advisor letters that I would like to submit rather than old undergrad letters. Did anybody call? I couldn't get a hold of them.

I am curious as well. I am a graduate student. I have graduate professor/advisor letters that I would like to submit rather than old undergrad letters. Did anybody call? I couldn't get a hold of them.

I just called for a different reason. When it starts giving you the menu, just dial 7.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, if you read the application instructions pdf, you can submit a graduate LOR in lieu of an undergrad one :)

I saw that too but I am not quite sure if I can replace both UG science letters for Graduate science letters?

"Individual Letter Instructions
o One (1) letter from a faculty member in your graduate department is required who has either taught you in a graduate class or supervised independent research for which you received graduate credit.
o A letter from a graduate science faculty member can substitute for one (1) undergraduate science letter."

So both can be replaced or just one?

I saw that too but I am not quite sure if I can replace both UG science letters for Graduate science letters?

"Individual Letter Instructions
o One (1) letter from a faculty member in your graduate department is required who has either taught you in a graduate class or supervised independent research for which you received graduate credit.
o A letter from a graduate science faculty member can substitute for one (1) undergraduate science letter."

So both can be replaced or just one?

Oh i don't think it can do that :/ what did the admissions officer say?

Did anyone else have trouble paying for the secondary app? Every time I try to submit my payment it gives me an error code but I know all the information is filled out correctly....

Did anyone else have trouble paying for the secondary app? Every time I try to submit my payment it gives me an error code but I know all the information is filled out correctly....

Same. I don't want to keep pressing pay though since $120 getting charged 3 times would bankrupt me.

I've hit pay like a bazillion times by now hoping it'll work lol I hope I didn't actually get charged for every time I clicked. Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

I've hit pay like a bazillion times by now hoping it'll work lol I hope I didn't actually get charged for every time I clicked. Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

I'll try again in the morning. It's day one, I'll try to be patient.