2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all: current M1 here, happy to help and answer questions on this thread or by PM. Also consider taking a look at last season's application thread for some common FAQ answers.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same here!!!!! In-state, I dont think that makes a diff for NYMC

According to MSAR, you might have a slight advantage. Used to live in New York back when I was in elementary school. It would be so nostalgic to go back.

According to MSAR, you might have a slight advantage. Used to live in New York back when I was in elementary school. It would be so nostalgic to go back.

There is no in state bias...what you see on MSAR is a result of regional preference. More In state people apply because of location, as can be seen at almost every private school.

There is no in state bias...what you see on MSAR is a result of regional preference. More In state people apply because of location, as can be seen at almost every private school.

AHHH gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Do we know if NYMC will be requiring non-science undergrad LoRs again this year? I couldn't find any commentary on their website or MSAR and not listing that if they're going to require it feels intentionally dishonest.. I'm non-trad with no way to satisfy that, so it pretty much determines if I'll be applying here, or donating here.

Do we know if NYMC will be requiring non-science undergrad LoRs again this year? I couldn't find any commentary on their website or MSAR and not listing that if they're going to require it feels intentionally dishonest.. I'm non-trad with no way to satisfy that, so it pretty much determines if I'll be applying here, or donating here.

https://www.nymc.edu/media/schools-...17-18NYMCSecondaryApplicationInstructions.pdf

Here is a link to the 2017-2018 secondary application instructions, if you have a quick read through it'll let you know!

Reactions: 1 users
Have you guys registered for Casper yet? I'm scheduled for July 9th at 2pm

So are we supposed to do the secondary app/register for Casper without a formal invitation from the school?

So are we supposed to do the secondary app/register for Casper without a formal invitation from the school?

I don't know for sure, but I'm probably going to wait until they formally invite and I think I'm applying to three schools that require CASPer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test without formal invitation last year, and requested that my casper score be sent to NYMC and it worked out okay. Keep in mind it takes 4 weeks for casper to be scored and sent to schools so the earlier u write it is probably better

A word about CASPer - as long as you are registered they will continue to process your application. However, who knows if there's any advantage having it done earlier.

@wizarddoc2213 you should get an email inviting you to complete the secondary application with instructions etc. They don't screen pre-secondary, so if you don't hear within a few days just give a call to admissions. They're exceptionally helpful, despite being busy with 13k+ apps.

Any other questions feel free to ask, I'll be checking in on this thread but PM is also welcome!

Reactions: 2 users
Have you guys registered for Casper yet? I'm scheduled for July 9th at 2pm

Just took it today and I feel like a ran a race lol. And the fact that they video you has to be just entertainment for them because I'm sure my facial expressions were priceless lmao.

Just took it today and I feel like a ran a race lol. And the fact that they video you has to be just entertainment for them because I'm sure my facial expressions were priceless lmao.

Just took the test and I'm pretty sure I failed miserably! SO MUCH HARDER than the practice test they have up. Didn't have enough time for most of the sections and I'm not a slow typer. Anyone else feel the same? :(

I took the test without formal invitation last year, and requested that my casper score be sent to NYMC and it worked out okay. Keep in mind it takes 4 weeks for casper to be scored and sent to schools so the earlier u write it is probably better

Are you Canadian?

A word about CASPer - as long as you are registered they will continue to process your application. However, who knows if there's any advantage having it done earlier.

So it's possible to receive a II before having your CASPer results transmitted to the school? I didn't realize it took 3-4 weeks to transmit the CASPer result so the earliest I can take it is on July 9th.

Just took the test and I'm pretty sure I failed miserably! SO MUCH HARDER than the practice test they have up. Didn't have enough time for most of the sections and I'm not a slow typer. Anyone else feel the same? :(

I'm sure you did better than you think. Honestly not even sure what to think my head was just whirling the whole time but I'm going to hope for the best lol.

So it's possible to receive a II before having your CASPer results transmitted to the school? I didn't realize it took 3-4 weeks to transmit the CASPer result so the earliest I can take it is on July 9th.
Their website says you can receive on before casper results

Yes, it is. That's what happened to me.

However, a friend of mine who is currently at NYMC said that they are giving CASPer significant weight this year so that might change how many people receive invites this cycle with pending CASPer results. Guess they are just getting too many applicants and like other schools are using CASPer to screen out more people. This is a new test that many applicants are still clueless about and spend no time preparing for.

Yes, it is. That's what happened to me.

However, a friend of mine who is currently at NYMC said that they are giving CASPer significant weight this year so that might change how many people receive invites this cycle with pending CASPer results. Guess they are just getting too many applicants and like other schools are using CASPer to screen out more people. This is a new test that many applicants are still clueless about and spend no time preparing for.

Makes sense, but there isn't really much you can do to prepare for it besides doing the practice test beforehand which did help me understand the format better. I think it is designed this way to get your instinctual response to high-stress situations similar to what you will encounter in Med school but with that being said I still wish they gave us the score so we can see how well or not well we did in order to improve areas of weakness.

Would there be a huge difference taking Casper this Sunday, July 9 vs. July 26? I am trying to figure out which weekend I will be less swamped with other secondary essays, but if taking Casper earlier means I get reviewed earlier for II, then I might take it July 9 and invest that day preparing for it instead of doing other secondary essays. Currently have 4 secondaries that I'm still working on, eep.

Edit: I've registered for Casper already and ID is processed. Just haven't selected a date and paid yet.

I can't speak to anything in regards to being reviewed but if it makes any difference the test took me about an 1 hr and 30 min. maybe a little less. The sample of the test they give you to prepare is only 3 sections vs the 12 sections in the real test which takes like 15-20 minutes. IMO I would take the sample and do the system check before your actual test day. The test was stressful enough so you don't want to get even more stressed because you just took the sample and are now more nervous/worried and now you have to take the real thing already not focused. If that makes sense. In all, if you separate it then it isn't as time consuming as you may think.

I can't speak to anything in regards to being reviewed but if it makes any difference the test took me about an 1 hr and 30 min. maybe a little less. The sample of the test they give you to prepare is only 3 sections vs the 12 sections in the real test which takes like 15-20 minutes. IMO I would take the sample and do the system check before your actual test day. The test was stressful enough so you don't want to get even more stressed because you just took the sample and are now more nervous/worried and now you have to take the real thing already not focused. If that makes sense. In all, if you separate it then it isn't as time consuming as you may think.
Is there a full-length practice test out there that we should use? Also, how many sentences should we write?

Is there a full-length practice test out there that we should use? Also, how many sentences should we write?
I wud say a paragraph would be decent for each response. Making sure to consider both sides of the argument to show ur though process and what your eventual action would be.

I wud say a paragraph would be decent for each response. Making sure to consider both sides of the argument to show ur though process and what your eventual action would be.
Oh wow- I'm having a hard time typing out that fast... :(

Oh wow- I'm having a hard time typing out that fast... :(

I don't know of any full-length. I took the test last week and honestly don't know of any way you could really prepare/study for it. It is really just seeing how you think/ what your first reaction to a situation would be. I agree with Home Run Ball on the responses though. And yes being quick at typing was definitely in my favor of getting all my thoughts across and even then there were a couple I wish I had a couple more seconds with.

How much time is given to respond to the questions during CASPer? Do they really record you? Sheesh.

Has anyone received secondaries yet from New York Medical College and if so, would it be possible to post them please?

Has anyone received secondaries yet from New York Medical College and if so, would it be possible to post them please?
If it has not changed since last year, there are no prompts in the secondary. Just some simple personal information then pay and submit :)

Secondary received

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

EDIT: Just got another one with a different login password, after submitting the first one :shrug:

Last edited:
Received a secondary today but I'm a little bummed
NYMC is my first choice and my stats are:

cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 504

I usually like the essays since now, all they have to go on are my grades and obviously my MCAT isn't that strong. How can I expect to get an interview if all they know is my crappy MCAT score :(

Received a secondary today but I'm a little bummed
NYMC is my first choice and my stats are:

cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 504

I usually like the essays since now, all they have to go on are my grades and obviously my MCAT isn't that strong. How can I expect to get an interview if all they know is my crappy MCAT score :(
Don't feel bummed! It's possible! I know someone who got into NYMC last cycle with your exact same MCAT score and a 4.0 graduate school GPA. Is there a prompt for the secondary this year?

Hm... I did not request a LOR from a graduate school professor..

Given that I also do not have a non-science LOR, my gpa is 3.5 and MCAT is 507, do you even think I should go ahead and request an LOR from my grad education? Is it worth it?

Does NYMC send "secondaries" to everyone? (I realize that there are no essays.) Those of you who have received your form, have you already taken CASPer?

Does NYMC send "secondaries" to everyone? (I realize that there are no essays.) Those of you who have received your form, have you already taken CASPer?

Yup, secondaries are sent to everyone.

Hm... I did not request a LOR from a graduate school professor..

Given that I also do not have a non-science LOR, my gpa is 3.5 and MCAT is 507, do you even think I should go ahead and request an LOR from my grad education? Is it worth it?

You should contact them about how to proceed before you spend money on the secondary. Make sure you'll be able to fulfill the requirements or you're just wasting the fee.

Good luck everyone, it's a long haul!

Does anyone know how flexible they are with LOR requirements? I'm a nontrad, 5 years out of undergrad, and the only classes I've taken recently are science prereqs. I have 2 science letters, and a letter from my supervisor, which most schools accept in lieu of the non science letter. In the NYMC secondary it is mandatory to enter the non science letter writer.

I've tried calling the school, but they're closed for the weekend.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting?

Hmmm... haven't received a secondary yet. Should I contact the school?

Does anyone know how flexible they are with LOR requirements? I'm a nontrad, 5 years out of undergrad, and the only classes I've taken recently are science prereqs. I have 2 science letters, and a letter from my supervisor, which most schools accept in lieu of the non science letter. In the NYMC secondary it is mandatory to enter the non science letter writer.

I've tried calling the school, but they're closed for the weekend.

I'm also a nontrad and called them on Friday. They basically said as a nontrad, we have a lot of flexibility in the letters we send.

Reactions: 1 users