2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what date we need medical equipment by?

Members don't see this ad.

How do we increase the amount of Financial aid package? Just asking for future reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we increase the amount of Financial aid package? Just asking for future reference.
I'm guessing only for special cases where you absolutely need an increase like a major car repair or having a spouse and kids under your roof. That's how most schools do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

if you're taking out less than the max you can easily get more by filling out a form through the intranet financial aid page, its all online and easy. i think it takes 2-3 weeks for the money to go to your account.

if you're taking out less than the max you can easily get more by filling out a form through the intranet financial aid page, its all online and easy. i think it takes 2-3 weeks for the money to go to your account.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in how everyone handled the AACOMAS for KCU which requires you to pick KC/ Joplin/ both.
I would highly prefer KC but if it came down to not getting accepted to KCU I would take Joplin. :/
And for those who picked KC option only how did you go about explaining in the essay why... As both have the same curriculum.

And does anyone worry about tornadoes? I'm from Florida and seasoned when it comes to hurricanes, but never experienced a large tornado.

I'm interested in how everyone handled the AACOMAS for KCU which requires you to pick KC/ Joplin/ both.
I would highly prefer KC but if it came down to not getting accepted to KCU I would take Joplin. :/
And for those who picked KC option only how did you go about explaining in the essay why... As both have the same curriculum.

I preferred KC as well, but just to be on the safe side I picked "both". Because when you pick "both" you're being selected out of like ~400 seats, where as for KC or Joplin only it's closer to ~200 seats. I ended up getting accepted to Joplin, so I'd say it was a smart move.

But you should asses your situation based on what your stats are (if you're a strong applicant, you could probably safely pick only one of the campuses), and whether or not you would actually like to go to both campuses.

I chose both but preferred Joplin because 3 hours closer to home

My stats are decent 3.81 cGPA 3.85 sGPA 507 MCAT balanced. Solid ECs
I just get such a positive vibe from KCU this is my number one DO choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked KC when I interviewed in 2016-2017 cycle cause I was already sitting on some acceptances that I would've picked over Joplin campus (wasn't a rural person, nor was I rural-focused). Also, location was a huge factor for me when choosing DO schools.

I chose KC and submitted so now I live with the decision. :)

Thanks for all the support everyone. Hope you premed/ cycle / OMSx or whatever you are working on is going great!

I chose KC and submitted so now I live with the decision. :)
Just be ready to answer why KC and not Joplin or both on the secondary app and even in the interview. But you should be fine though. The only small issue people that only chose KC last year had was with scheduling their interview dates as most early interviews were at Joplin, and the earliest for KC when I was scheduling back in October was late February while they had dates in November and December for Joplin.

Last edited:
A bit late but I chose KC only. I had a good explanation which I wrote on the secondary/primary and also had it brought up during the interview.
My interview was strange. She asked me 3 questions and then spent half the time showing me doximity and researchgate

I will have to be ready to explain during my interview, thanks for the warning. As both campuses offer the same education it is difficult to explain choosing one over the other but I think I can handle it.

Just be ready to answer why KC and not Joplin or both on the secondary app and even in the interview. But you should be fine though. The only small issue people that only chose KC last year had was with scheduling their interview dates as most early interviews were at Joplin, and the earliest for KC when I was scheduling back in October was late February while they had dates in November and December for Joplin.

I chose KC only and got an II in October and interviewed 2 weeks later so it is like 95% luck I’m convinced.

I'm throwing apps all over the MD arena, but I am feeling good vibes from KCU.

Definitely one of my top choices for DO schools. I'm applying to both DO/MD in the 2018-2019 cycle (aacomas c 3.3 s 3.4ish 525). Do any current students have any insight into research/mentorship at KCU?

Last edited:
I will have to be ready to explain during my interview, thanks for the warning. As both campuses offer the same education it is difficult to explain choosing one over the other but I think I can handle it.
Nah. You either want to work in the rural setting that Joplin can offer or you don't. Don't overthink the question, as its not a way for interviewers to screen you out. If you don't want to go to Joplin, then don't apply there. I can't stress that enough!

Definitely one of my top choices for DO schools. I'm applying to both DO/MD in the 2018-2019 cycle (aacomas c 3.3 s 3.4ish 525). Do any current students have any insight into research/mentorship at KCU?
There is almost none, especially if you want surgery or any other competitive field in medicine. They really don’t help out if you are pursuing those fields.

So can we turn down the issued iPad if we get the iPad Pro? I don’t wanna go through the hassle of reselling the school given one after buying the pro.

So can we turn down the issued iPad if we get the iPad Pro? I don’t wanna go through the hassle of reselling the school given one after buying the pro.

It’s a free iPad, I’ll take it off your hands if you don’t want it lolol

But I’m sure they would be happy to do that.

Is it not included in the tuition?

Oh did you mean like ask them not to give it to you and not have to pay for it in the tuition? Sorry I thought you meant paying full tuition and then turning it down.

Whats the dress attire for orientation week/classes in general? Also if I lost the big sibling email is there another way I could get my big's email address?

Whats the dress attire for orientation week/classes in general? Also if I lost the big sibling email is there another way I could get my big's email address?
Orientation is business casual, classes I think no dress code, except for OMM/SP encounters

Just got an email from KCU about constructing the new Center for Medical Education Innovation. Does anyone think this is going to impact us in terms of noise and such?

Just got an email from KCU about constructing the new Center for Medical Education Innovation. Does anyone think this is going to impact us in terms of noise and such?
it's annoying because they got rid of the field we played football and volleyball in :(
Just wait until you get to campus to see if the noise bothers you. Most likely not, but there's nothing you can do about it now... At least you may actually get to use it.

it's annoying because they got rid of the field we played football and volleyball in :(
Just wait until you get to campus to see if the noise bothers you. Most likely not, but there's nothing you can do about it now... At least you may actually get to use it.

Nooo I liked that field when I saw it at my interview

I'm kind of paranoid I'm missing some stuff prior to orientation...

I have all of the required forms (immunizations, health insurance, etc.) submitted/accepted. I just noticed the other day that there was an equipment list posted and I already missed the cutoff to order them. Didn't even know that page existed.. whoops. I finished most of those assignments listed on blackboard (the IT ones) - is there anything else we need to have completed prior to orientation? Thanks

The only concern may be parking availability but they are opening up more parking spots for this next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kind of paranoid I'm missing some stuff prior to orientation...

I have all of the required forms (immunizations, health insurance, etc.) submitted/accepted. I just noticed the other day that there was an equipment list posted and I already missed the cutoff to order them. Didn't even know that page existed.. whoops. I finished most of those assignments listed on blackboard (the IT ones) - is there anything else we need to have completed prior to orientation? Thanks
I did the same thing, it’s cheaper to buy them your self. Try allheart medical supplies.

The only concern may be parking availability but they are opening up more parking spots for this next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they turned the basketball courts into parking. honestly i've only had problems parking one time because it was a day there was an event on campus, as well as all 3 classes ('20, '21 and COB) had to be on campus that day as well. and even then there is a reserve lot. If you want a parking spot on campus, get there by 8 am. if you want a spot across the street, 99% of the time there is one. You can also just do what all the cool kids do and watch lectures at home and just show up for labs.

Hey guys I am having trouble with my email, I log in and it is completely empty? did anyone else have this problem? thanks !

So I'm guessing the student dorm(?) all filled up at this point?

Is the downtown area a generally good and safe place to live in?

Hey guys, so Ill be living at CT this year and wont be bringing a car (I actually dont have a license) , my question is will I be able to get by without a car for the first two year?

How about year 3-4?

Hi ya'll! I'm getting kind of nervous about the move to CT and had two questions!
1. I move in this weekend and have to pay my pro-rated rent...will someone be in the office this weekend to take my check?
2. Is there a certain time I can move in? My lease doesn't have a specified time so would it matter if i came at 7 AM and started to move my furniture and other belongings in?
Thank you for the help!