2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the school have a list of required equipment anywhere? Also the same thing for books for the first year , is there list anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Here: COM Matriculation
Medical equipment and technology requirements are listed. Books have yet to be listed.
Look at the FB page for the books you need, or ask your big when they email you. Basically you'll need the biochem book, Moores anatomy, and Costanzo phys the most. But you can get by with using the .pdfs on the google drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Current Students--

How required is the "required" medical equipment? Do I really need to buy my own otoscope and ophthalmoscope? Would I be okay with everything except these 2 items?

Save some money, there is a list put together here with some cheaper alternatives. The only thing I'm not sure about on the list is a lack of ophthalmoscope. Chances are you can borrow someone else's for Score One or whatever the Joplin equivalent is.

Reactions: 1 users
Save some money, there is a list put together here with some cheaper alternatives. The only thing I'm not sure about on the list is a lack of ophthalmoscope. Chances are you can borrow someone else's for Score One or whatever the Joplin equivalent is.
This is great, thank you! I had no idea Amazon had this type of capability haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Any guys still looking for a roommate feel free to message me! I was accepted a while back and have a loft already but my planned roommate got off the wait list at his top choice MD school haha. Message me for details about rent and location and stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Any guys still looking for a roommate feel free to message me! I was accepted a while back and have a loft already but my planned roommate got off the wait list at his top choice MD school haha. Message me for details about rent and location and stuff

I'll room with you if I get your roommates spot!

If anyone's looking for housing, I had to withdraw and now my 1 bedroom at Century Towers is available. They basically said you could call and ask for it if interested. Good luck next year guys

Quick question, so the two 1000$ deposits that we made to hold our seats in the class are credited towards the first year tuition right?

Do most students have a keyboard for their ipad?! Recommendations would be appreciated!

Do most students have a keyboard for their ipad?! Recommendations would be appreciated!
any bluetooth keyboard will be fine. to be honest notability + apple pencil is much better imo for taking notes. And staying home and watching the lectures means you can type up notes/anki cards on a real computer.

Is there a way to log onto the KCU website? Ive tried my student account number and email, neither work

About when is your big supposed to contact you? I haven't heard anything from mine and I'll be out of the country (no internet) for a few weeks.

About when is your big supposed to contact you? I haven't heard anything from mine and I'll be out of the country (no internet) for a few weeks.

Hey...I received my Big Sib information in the email regarding the White Coat ceremony, which was sent around May 23rd. You might want to check back through your emails. Hope that helps!

Anyone know when tuition bills hit? Just curious because I want to stay on top of it.

There's no date that your big has to contact you by, but we were encouraged by faculty to reach out before the end of June so we have some time to get to know you before school starts. I don't know if they gave you our emails, but if they did, you can certainly reach out to them.

Is there a way to log onto the KCU website? Ive tried my student account number and email, neither work
should be your "s" number which is s0000 and then a unique sequence after that and whatever password you created

I use the Anker Bluetooth keyboard (from Amazon) which is laid out like a Mac keyboard for less money and the batteries required last forever. However, I also use Notability and a stylus too. Sometimes it’s faster to type than write. I like to have both options. A lot of students use the case that comes with a keyboard but I liked the regular width of the Anker one.

Did you already create a password via password manager? If so, when you get to the single sign on page, you need to use your “s” number (s0000XXXXX) and password. After three wrong tries, your account is locked and you’ll have to call them so be careful to make sure you have the right password.

Any word on potential waitlist movement in the near future here? I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for some more movement soon

Hello all - I am applying 2018/2019.
Anyone know how strict the GPA cutoffs are?
I have a 3.19 cGPA, 3.12sGPA, 3.88pbGPA, and 510 MCAT. Not sure whether it is appropriate I send an app here.

Hello all - I am applying 2018/2019.
Anyone know how strict the GPA cutoffs are?
I have a 3.19 cGPA, 3.12sGPA, 3.88pbGPA, and 510 MCAT. Not sure whether it is appropriate I send an app here.
Send it. There were a couple people this year who were interviewed with a 3.1

Any word on potential waitlist movement in the near future here? I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for some more movement soon
I spoke to the office earlier this week about it. They said most of the movement that they expected has already happened.
They told me that there might be one or two seats these next couple months but that there likely will not be anymore movement.

hey all does anybody know anything about the new updated hep vaccine documentation that they need? Is it something we should already have if we completed the other stuff, or do we need additional shots? I am gonna be out of the country soon for a month before class and I dont think I will have time for any more doctor visits

hey all does anybody know anything about the new updated hep vaccine documentation that they need? Is it something we should already have if we completed the other stuff, or do we need additional shots? I am gonna be out of the country soon for a month before class and I dont think I will have time for any more doctor visits
Nah you shouldn’t need new shots. I just submitted a copy of my immunization records with the dates of the Hep B shots and they accepted it.

No need to fret! The documentation I have only showed the date of my final injection, and I had the Hep B series almost 20 years ago. Needless to say, the records have long since been destroyed. I explained this to the Sentry rep and they were fine with it since my blood titer was positive.

No need to fret! The documentation I have only showed the date of my final injection, and I had the Hep B series almost 20 years ago. Needless to say, the records have long since been destroyed. I explained this to the Sentry rep and they were fine with it since my blood titer was positive.
Hey thanks for the reply. They gave this notification kinda late so i am fretting lol. I also do not remember when I got my last vaccination for Hep B, so I might not have records. The titer just showed I was positive. Do you think this will be alright? also, i will just try and email the sentry rep explaining my situation

Hey thanks for the reply. They gave this notification kinda late so i am fretting lol. I also do not remember when I got my last vaccination for Hep B, so I might not have records. The titer just showed I was positive. Do you think this will be alright? also, i will just try and email the sentry rep explaining my situation
Positive titer should be fine

This is a little embarrassing but what’s the dating life like here?

Few real relationships b/w students. Most are just hook-ups b/w students. Tinder/Bumble can help if you are looking to meet new people or go on random "dates."

I only had a positive titre but no dates and they made me redo the hepb series. Kind of a waste imo, but they were very strict about it.

I feel like the phrase "don't pee in the pool" is applicable but then again people have actually ended up marrying classmates so what do I know.

Good evening! Not sure if this is addressed farther back, but I didn't see it:
Does anybody have data to support residency positions secured from rotation spots during 3rd/4th year at KCU? --- for KC....

As far as I know there's no official data for this, but I can tell you from talking to individuals in multiple classes that rotating in a certain geographic location certainly helps people to match there. Regardless of what you might be told, doing audition rotations where you'd like to enter residency or even audition rotations help if you do well and the staff there likes you.

Few real relationships b/w students. Most are just hook-ups b/w students. Tinder/Bumble can help if you are looking to meet new people or go on random "dates."

This will vary from class to class. My class had 6 people end up couples matching together and I think 3 of those couples are now married (I know 2 are, idk if the third is married yet or engaged). There was also dating and hook-ups in my class, but it just kind of depends on you and your classmates. KC is pretty decent as a dating scene from what I understand as well. It's a decent sized city (~500k), so plenty of options available if you're willing to look.