2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Woop woop. Top DO school choice :)
Being from the KC area, I must say it's so beautiful here! People are friendly, driving is easy, costs are low...

From what I've read about this school, it seems to be on top of its game. Anyone have experience with their dual degree programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets see if this years thread will beat 2016-2017 thread in page numbers lol

Reactions: 3 users
Woop woop. Top DO school choice :)
Being from the KC area, I must say it's so beautiful here! People are friendly, driving is easy, costs are low...

What would you say is the racial makeup of KC? I'm applying here too but I'm interested in working with minorities and don't know much about Missouri

Depends on minorities. The largest minority group are blacks concentrated on the east side of KC, but for the metro KC area, population is predominantly white. Asians? Barely any. Not much of a hispanic population either, although more than asians.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on minorities. The largest minority group are blacks concentrated on the east side of KC, but for the metro KC area, population is predominantly white. Asians? Barely any. Not much of a hispanic population either, although more than asians.

Got it. Do you know if Joplin is similar or completely different?

@harkas that's awesome you want to work with minorities! yes this post here is mostly accurate. i would vouch for more asians though ... (being in this group i think i would know!) sorry i can't attest to Joplin as having not been there either, though i imagine it's less diverse than kc.

@harkas that's awesome you want to work with minorities! yes this post here is mostly accurate. i would vouch for more asians though ... (being in this group i think i would know!) sorry i can't attest to Joplin as having not been there either, though i imagine it's less diverse than kc.

Thanks! Ok got it. I ended up saying I would choose KC over Joplin. I don't mind rural but there was like 5,000 black/Hispanic people (out of 50,000) in all of Joplin so that doesn't work :laugh:

Is there a decent amount of asians in KC? I'm also asian haha

I am the only one.

Jk jk lol.

Yes there are def asians here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are multiple asian grocery stores, a decent asian bakery, some authentic asian restaurants, asian churches :)
~some/most are in the greater kc area, and not so plentiful as to be in-your-face, but they are for sure here

Members don't see this ad :)
There are multiple asian grocery stores, a decent asian bakery, some authentic asian restaurants, asian churches :)
~some/most are in the greater kc area, and not so plentiful as to be in-your-face, but they are for sure here

Spices Restaurant in NKC. Pretty good pad Thai.

Spices Restaurant in NKC. Pretty good pad Thai.

Oh I've never been there! I know several good asian food places but to spare others who may not be so into this, I will refrain but anyone is free to pm me about this if want to know deets

Good luck everyone!!! :)

Has anybody heard anything from this school yet? I havent gotten a single email or anything since submitting my primary on June 1

Hey All! I have not received anything yet either regarding the secondaries. I was verified June 30. If anyone hears anything please let me know. KCU-COM is one of my top choices.

Hey All! I have not received anything yet either regarding the secondaries. I was verified June 30. If anyone hears anything please let me know. KCU-COM is one of my top choices.
They take 6-8 weeks to process the app and they are pretty accurate with the timing!

So I paid for the program on AACOMAS but forgot to answer the questions under program materials. AACOMAS sent me an email to send them that info. I'm glad they caught that otherwise I'd waiting forever not knowing what I did wrong :laugh:.

I received an invite to apply from KCUCOM and they said they'd send the secondary within four weeks of the submission of my primary, so for those not invited it may be around 4-6 weeks. Still waiting on the secondary though, and primary was submitted on 6/20

I received an invite to apply from KCUCOM and they said they'd send the secondary within four weeks of the submission of my primary, so for those not invited it may be around 4-6 weeks. Still waiting on the secondary though, and primary was submitted on 6/20
I'm in the same position, submitted my primary on 07/01 though!

Honestly, I prefer a later deadline given all the secondaries that I have already received within the past week. A later deadline will be a welcomed surprise and take some strain of the deluge of secondaries that have flooded my inbox! I can't wait for this cycle, here's to hoping we all are accepted to a medical school this cycle!

Much love,

S

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the same position, submitted my primary on 07/01 though!

Do you mind me asking what your stats are? Just curious to see who all got that invite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mind me asking what your stats are? Just curious to see who all got that invite!

No, no problem at all! 3.6 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA (upward trend). 507 MCAT. Are yours similar?

No, no problem at all! 3.6 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA (upward trend). 507 MCAT. Are yours similar?

Yes, pretty similar. I graduated with a 4.0 sGPA, 3.99 cGPA, and 508 MCAT! I assume your ECs are much better though (I just held a job throughout college without much volunteer work), so we should be in a similar standing!

I think I received the same thing as well. Is it titled "Medical School Invitation," and the email gives some details about the school and priority status, etc., etc.?

I think I received the same thing as well. Is it titled "Medical School Invitation," and the email gives some details about the school and priority status, etc., etc.?

That seems to be the one I got as well, I know for sure I got the email before the applications opened on 6/15.

That seems to be the one I got as well, I know for sure I got the email before the applications opened on 6/15.

So I just did some digging, and apparently people have received this same email in the past as well. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it seems to be nothing more than a marketing scheme. I thought it was because of a high MCAT score, but almost everyone received this email; some even received it post-rejection lol.

So I just did some digging, and apparently people have received this same email in the past as well. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it seems to be nothing more than a marketing scheme. I thought it was because of a high MCAT score, but almost everyone received this email; some even received it post-rejection lol.
That's actually really disappointing to me, but it worked... I only applied really because of that email and the scholarships... but I guess that's how marketing is. MSUCOM and UNECOM definitely just got more of a preference now

That's actually really disappointing to me, but it worked... I only applied really because of that email and the scholarships... but I guess that's how marketing is. MSUCOM and UNECOM definitely just got more of a preference now

I would've applied regardless simply because it's close to home for me, but yes, that is really disappointing. I thought I was going to get some special treatment or something lol.

I didn't read everything in the thread, but this is what I found, and you can read more if you're interested: Anyone got an invitation email from Kansas City University?

Got it. Do you know if Joplin is similar or completely different?

Hey, Joplin native here. While Joplin itself isn't extremely diverse, about 15 minutes away is a city called Carthage. It's Hispanic population is so large that white kids are the minority in several of the elementary schools. Don't be confused by the census data, the city has had a huge influx of immigrants from Central America in the past few years. One school even switched to doing bilingual education with half the day in Spanish, half the day in English. Carthage is also host to a Catholic festival called Marian Days, which brings about 60,000 Vietnamese people from around the country together in early August.

Here is some more accurate demographics information: Carthage, MO
It shows just over 30% of the population to be Hispanic.

Hope that helps!

Just submitted primary application here. Hopefully secondary comes soon.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

They should start rolling out soon. I got an email before I applied saying that they'd have a decision on whether to send a secondary or not in 4 weeks. That was three weeks ago, so I hope to hear back soon from it.

They should start rolling out soon. I got an email before I applied saying that they'd have a decision on whether to send a secondary or not in 4 weeks. That was three weeks ago, so I hope to hear back soon from it.
I think I got the same email. I'm pretty excited about this school. Seems like one of the better DO programs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Damn, this years thread isn't very active :(

Hey, Joplin native here. While Joplin itself isn't extremely diverse, about 15 minutes away is a city called Carthage. It's Hispanic population is so large that white kids are the minority in several of the elementary schools. Don't be confused by the census data, the city has had a huge influx of immigrants from Central America in the past few years. One school even switched to doing bilingual education with half the day in Spanish, half the day in English. Carthage is also host to a Catholic festival called Marian Days, which brings about 60,000 Vietnamese people from around the country together in early August.

Here is some more accurate demographics information: Carthage, MO
It shows just over 30% of the population to be Hispanic.

Hope that helps!

That's really cool, wish I had read that before saying I prefer KCU due to more diverse population lol.

That's really cool, wish I had read that before saying I prefer KCU due to more diverse population lol.

It seems to be a very well kept secret. I don't think any ADCOM will criticize you for saying you learned more from research and now you have a more holistic view of the areas to which you are applying. But KC is cool, too. You can just come visit us :p

Just got an email saying that they are glad I'm interested.....but not a secondary....Primary sent on 6/14.

Just got an email saying that they are glad I'm interested.....but not a secondary....Primary sent on 6/14.

Accepted student here. Pretty sure I got that same email last year, I wouldn't sweat it yet

Would it be worth applying here with my stats? Stats in the signature.