2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really cannot afford to pay 300-500 per month, I am not even joking.
I had to get my own insurance a couple of months ago so I totally feel you on this, it sucks. I found a plan for around $220/month, which is slightly more manageable (although the coverage it provides sucks). If you're a relatively healthy individual, just get the cheapest plan you can find-- they all cover preventative care (if they're ACA compliant).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a weekly class schedule for first year? Just never found one online

Is there a weekly class schedule for first year? Just never found one online
There is boi, you'll get one closer to the start date. Schedule is synced across all devices w/ calendar app so you can see schedule changed updated as you are going through 1st year.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is boi, you'll get one closer to the start date. Schedule is synced across all devices w/ calendar app so you can see schedule changed updated as you are going through 1st year.
Is there one for last year? I just wanna see the general weekly class schedule and breaks we get.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there one for last year? I just wanna see the general weekly class schedule and breaks we get.
You won't be able to get access to it since you to be enrolled to have it synced I believe. However, I think some M1's posted screenshots of their schedules on the FB page.

I had to get my own insurance a couple of months ago so I totally feel you on this, it sucks. I found a plan for around $220/month, which is slightly more manageable (although the coverage it provides sucks). If you're a relatively healthy individual, just get the cheapest plan you can find-- they all cover preventative care (if they're ACA compliant).

Your plan seems more affordable than others that I was looking at. Is it for any students or just for U.S. residents only? If it is for any students (i.e. Canadian residents studying in U.S.), would you mind to share the plan name and contact? We are still searching for the cheapest one that is acceptable to KCU.
Thanks

Is the incoming class getting the standard iPad like they did last year? I'm debating if I should buy the iPad pro and stylus instead since it is very handy for taking digital notes.

So I asked admissions and they said the ipads will be your standard basic ipad. not the new one thats compatible with the pencil. With that being said, they also said that once the ipad is given to you, it's yours, as in you're free to trade it in for the new ipad.

So I asked admissions and they said the ipads will be your standard basic ipad. not the new one thats compatible with the pencil. With that being said, they also said that once the ipad is given to you, it's yours, as in you're free to trade it in for the new ipad.

Well are they going to give us the receipt? -_-

Your course schedule will be different next year. They moved things around so you get an 8 week summer.

You won't be able to trade it in. I tried, and the Apple store have serial numbers that mark it as "educational" and are not valid for trade-ins.

You won't be able to trade it in. I tried, and the Apple store have serial numbers that mark it as "educational" and are not valid for trade-ins.
Do you use the school issued iPad or have you found an alternative?

Wait so this insurance would no longer work for Canadian students?
manulife.ca/for-you/insurance/explore/travel/student.html (wont let m post link for some reason)
I saw older year students saying this is what they used. Plan says it covers physician services, hospitalization, and drugs.

Could any older students ask their Canadian classmates what they are planning on using or are using?

Members don't see this ad :)

Could the admissions be confused? Because the new standard iPad is compatible with the pencil lol

Could the admissions be confused? Because the new standard iPad is compatible with the pencil lol

although I did try out the apple pencil once and don't get me wrong it was really nice, I personally don't use a stylus to write notes on my ipad because its way too slow and I'm a faster typer so to everyone who is worried about this issue consider that. I got the apple magic keyboard or whatever its called and I love it. I personally wouldn't waste the hundreds of dollars it would cost to get a better ipad + the pencil just to take notes lol. Use that money and go on vacation instead.

Reactions: 2 users
although I did try out the apple pencil once and don't get me wrong it was really nice, I personally don't use a stylus to write notes on my ipad because its way too slow and I'm a faster typer so to everyone who is worried about this issue consider that. I got the apple magic keyboard or whatever its called and I love it. I personally wouldn't waste the hundreds of dollars it would cost to get a better ipad + the pencil just to take notes lol. Use that money and go on vacation instead.

Current first year here. A friend of mine sold his school iPad and bought the Pro. He said it was the best thing he’s done. However, if something happens and you have to drop out, you have to return the iPad. Also, the school does pay for AppleCare for 3 years on the iPad. I’ve already had to replace my screen because I’m a klutz. ‍♀️

As for stylus use, I’d recommend getting one but it doesn’t necessarily have to be the Apple Pencil. Amazon has plenty of decent options. I use both my Anker Bluetooth keyboard and stylus for note taking. I usually use Notability for annotating PowerPoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your plan seems more affordable than others that I was looking at. Is it for any students or just for U.S. residents only? If it is for any students (i.e. Canadian residents studying in U.S.), would you mind to share the plan name and contact? We are still searching for the cheapest one that is acceptable to KCU.
Thanks
To be honest, I don't know. It's from BCBS if you want to check and see if it would be something you could get.

Does KCU accept short term insurance plans until the open enrollment period opens back up?

To be honest, I don't know. It's from BCBS if you want to check and see if it would be something you could get.
Thank you, fldoctorgirl. Anthem BCBS does not have branch in Joplin. They offered short term health plan underwritten by National General Accident and Health with $100/month but I am not sure whether this is acceptable to KCU. I am actively looking for company that have branch office in Joplin in case we need to change to a different type of plan that KCU requires.

Anyone heard anything from the waitlist after the survey email? Not sure if there is still hope at all - its mid May already...

Anyone heard anything from the waitlist after the survey email? Not sure if there is still hope at all - its mid May already...
We had someone accepted the day of our white coat ceremony. I don't want to get your hopes too high, but there is still a small possibility.

Hey guys! Make sure to check your email in the coming days - we just got assigned our littles for this year so your big should be reaching out to you!

Hey guys! Make sure to check your email in the coming days - we just got assigned our littles for this year so your big should be reaching out to you!

Also make sure you have the correct email on file so we can get ahold of you.

ANDDDDD ACCEPTED!
I was waitlisted in February and got the offer of acceptance call. For a Kansas City seat.
Will be turning it down. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

I actually called the admissions office today and was told the bulk of waitlist movement won't happen until later in the summer. I'm guessing next month might be a better chance for us waitlisted...

Exciting news for incoming and current KCU students!
Student services has almost completed negotiations with BCBS to offer insurance to the students here. From what I heard, it will be less than $3,000 a year for an individual and the coverage is pretty great. I guess coverage will start August 1st if my source is correct. Keep an eye on your email for more information in the next few weeks.

Student services has almost completed negotiations with BCBS to offer insurance to the students here. From what I heard, it will be less than $3,000 a year for an individual and the coverage is pretty great. I guess coverage will start August 1st if my source is correct. Keep an eye on your email for more information in the next few weeks.
Lol, after I bought an insurance plan 6 months ago even though I didn't need one till matriculation because I was told this wouldn't be offered :p

Anyone have any idea how much waitlist movement there typically is? Crossing my fingers atm :(

Thank you for sending out the good news, DrRedstone. We have spent quite a bit of time looking for some health insurance plan with a reasonable price but still not getting closer to finding one. Guess we will buy a short term plan to meet the matriculation requirement deadline and then switch over to KCU plan.
Much appreciated !

For anyone wondering, ininterviewed 1/26 and was waitlisted like 2/23. I did not send an LOI nor did I send any updates. I did fill out the survey saying I was still interested though. I got an acceptance call this past Thursday and withdrew Friday.

I hope this timeline helps those who are still waiting.

Average stats LizzyM ~65-68

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For anyone wondering, ininterviewed 1/26 and was waitlisted like 2/23. I did not send an LOI nor did I send any updates. I did fill out the survey saying I was still interested though. I got an acceptance call this past Thursday and withdrew Friday.

I hope this timeline helps those who are still waiting.

Average stats LizzyM ~65-68

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! It's good to hear there's some movement happening

Soooooo...I was looking on the KCU-COM Matriculation page and the "Technology Guidelines" are updated for the 2018-2019 year. Interestingly, they list the iPad model as 128 GB WiFi only (with 3 years AppleCare included, so considerate) and in the third column, it says they "recommend" the student provide a stylus or wait for it...APPLE PENCIL! Thoughts? :)

Soooooo...I was looking on the KCU-COM Matriculation page and the "Technology Guidelines" are updated for the 2018-2019 year. Interestingly, they list the iPad model as 128 GB WiFi only (with 3 years AppleCare included, so considerate) and in the third column, it says they "recommend" the student provide a stylus or wait for it...APPLE PENCIL! Thoughts? :)
They also include a link (www.apple.com/ipad-9.7). If you go to that link, it is the Apple pencil compatible iPad.

Do we have the choice of taking exams on the iPad or computer, or is it only on the iPad? I'm assuming they use Examsoft but I've only ever used it in a computer before

You can only take exams on the iPad - the app we use is Examplify

Honestly not sure. I think it's largely because Cali is such a competitive location and specialties are already difficult for many DOs to get into. If you look at any DO match list (other than the west coast schools) you're unlikely to find more than 1 highly competitive match in Cali. Same can be said for New England. Some of it may be due to my classmates not wanting to end up out there (I know you'd have to pay me 7 figures to even consider it), but I'd say there's too many factors involved to give a concrete explanation.

Already been said but first year isn't bad. You'll likely end up killing yourself for the first 2-3 sections until you adapt to the pace of med school and get into a routine. Especially because biochem and immuno are faster paced than most of first year and they're also the first classes. Once you get into your groove though it's pretty easy to be average during first year imo. I just went to all the classes/labs, didn't study on weeknights more than an hour, and would review all lectures once on the weekends. I took Friday and Saturday nights off and would study most of Sunday and part of Saturday afternoons, but sometimes only Sunday. I was typically within 3% of the average on every test during first year and had a great lifestyle. Second year sucked and was by far the worst year of med school imo. I'd study 12-14 hours a day (including breaks) and was pretty much a straight C student. I also felt burnt out during most of second year due to the pace of the material we had to cover. Might have done better second year if I'd worked harder during M1 and built up my stamina more, but thankfully it didn't end up hurting me in the long run anyway.

Third year will totally depend on who your attendings are and your attitude about being in clinic. I had classmates who felt miserable on some rotations for whatever reason while I loved it. Just depends on your personality and sometimes if you end up with a crappy attending (thankfully most of mine were at least kind of nice). Fourth year is all on you. It's basically an elective year and you can set up almost any rotation you want. I actually managed to set my schedule up where I was only "on rotation" 6 weeks from mid-October to early/mid-Jan. Other classmates didn't plan their schedules as well and struggled to get days off for interviews. So again, 4th year is what you make of it because you have so much control over what your schedule is.

No one will care in first two years, so go crazy. When you start 3rd year is when you really need to start maintaining a professional look as some patients, co-workers, and attendings will judge you.

How do C grades affect you when it comes time to apply to residency?

From what I've heard, no one cares about C grades in pre-clinical years. All that matters is that you pass all your classes (plus some schools only have pass or fail, so how do you compare P/F to ABCF?). Board scores, LoRs, research/pubs, and Clinical grades are what matters when it comes to applying to residency.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Individual grades don't typically matter. For some fields, AOA (SSP for DOs) and class rank can play a role, but generally speaking they're not a major issue, especially if it's just one or two C's. There are far more important aspects of your application, and I would focus far more on board scores than letting individual class grades get you down.

so another question on that, is there anything we need an actual PC for in school? any windows exclusive programs or anything like that?
Second this, I have a PC laptop I got way back in 2012 but it does what I need it to. Should I get a new laptop? I was thinking getting the iPad Pro instead of a new PC

Good evening! Not sure if this is addressed farther back, but I didn't see it:
Does anybody have data to support residency positions secured from rotation spots during 3rd/4th year at KCU? --- for KC....

Second this, I have a PC laptop I got way back in 2012 but it does what I need it to. Should I get a new laptop? I was thinking getting the iPad Pro instead of a new PC
The only school related thing I use my laptop for is to watch lectures - that being said, some people do take notes on their laptop, but it isn't absolutely needed if you aren't one of those people

For Current Students--

How required is the "required" medical equipment? Do I really need to buy my own otoscope and ophthalmoscope? Would I be okay with everything except these 2 items?

For Current Students--

How required is the "required" medical equipment? Do I really need to buy my own otoscope and ophthalmoscope? Would I be okay with everything except these 2 items?

Those are definitely required. You won’t need to use them too much for first year but for Score 1 during second year you will need your own. First Year you could probably get away with borrowing a friends if they are not in your lab group.

For Current Students--

It's required for Score 1 2nd year. Try to buy one from a 2nd year for like $500 and then just resell it in 2 years like everyone else for $500 lol.