2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All you interviewees dressed to the nines today. Hope you all enjoyed the anatomy lab!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you interviewing tomorrow, I'm open to sharing an uber/lyft to the airport after the interview!

Any recommended way to getting to KC campus from Comfort Inn & Suites Kansas City Downtown 770 Admiral Blvd? It's less than a mile away but I'm not sure if I'm up for the walk in the AM :( Buses/street cars or best to get a lyft/uber/cab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommended way to getting to KC campus from Comfort Inn & Suites Kansas City Downtown 770 Admiral Blvd? It's less than a mile away but I'm not sure if I'm up for the walk in the AM :( Buses/street cars or best to get a lyft/uber/cab?
I took an Uber and it was around $6

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone who knows the area comment about the best way to get around town? I'm planning on flying in a day before the interview & leaving the day after so that I can explore the city since KCU is a top choice for me. My SO is also coming with me.

I'm under 25, so renting a car becomes pretty expensive (~ $150 for 2 days). However, the Uber estimator website says that getting from the airport to most of the hotels is about $20-$40 because the airport is so far north from everything. So, I'm counting on the the cost to-and-from the airport being $40-60.

Basically my question is, do you guys think it would be worth it to get a rental car to go to-and-from the airport, to-and-from the hotel to campus, and for navigating the city? Or is Uber a better option? Or can most of the city be walked?

Alternatively, can someone who is 25 rent a car for me :D

Can anyone who knows the area comment about the best way to get around town? I'm planning on flying in a day before the interview & leaving the day after so that I can explore the city since KCU is a top choice for me. My SO is also coming with me.

I'm under 25, so renting a car becomes pretty expensive (~ $150 for 2 days). However, the Uber estimator website says that getting from the airport to most of the hotels is about $20-$40 because the airport is so far north from everything. So, I'm counting on the the cost to-and-from the airport being $40-60.

Basically my question is, do you guys think it would be worth it to get a rental car to go to-and-from the airport, to-and-from the hotel to campus, and for navigating the city? Or is Uber a better option? Or can most of the city be walked?

Uber from airport to KC is about $25-30 one way. The city is relatively easy to navigate so your best bet might be to uber around to places ($4-10 per ride) depending on where you are going. I don't know the going rate for a rental car from the Kansas City Intl airport, so I can't give you a cost comparison.

USAA has an allegiance program that waives rental car fees for people underage, so look into that. I've always had success booking through Hotwire, Expedia, Costco for rental cars.

II! :D stoked

Edit: this is for KC campus

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Uber from airport to KC is about $25-30 one way. The city is relatively easy to navigate so your best bet might be to uber around to places ($4-10 per ride) depending on where you are going. I don't know the going rate for a rental car from the Kansas City Intl airport, so I can't give you a cost comparison.

USAA has an allegiance program that waives rental car fees for people underage, so look into that. I've always had success booking through Hotwire, Expedia, Costco for rental cars.

Thanks! Yeah, it's looking like renting a car just won't be feasible. Without the underage fee, it would definitely be worth it because then it's $80. I'll just have to navigate via Uber!

KCU was the only school I interviewed in which I did not rent a car. For one reason or another, Kansas City was particularly expensive for car rentals ($80/day). When I was in Florida it was only $13! Anyway, my trip to KCU only cost me $60 total in transportation but I did not travel to the downtown area. I also stayed at a friend's place and walked to campus... But either way, it still wouldn't have cost more than $100

Have fun, and good luck!

Had a really good time at my interview today. Very laid back, everybody is very supportive.

Reactions: 2 users
KCU was the only school I interviewed in which I did not rent a car. For one reason or another, Kansas City was particularly expensive for car rentals ($80/day). When I was in Florida it was only $13! Anyway, my trip to KCU only cost me $60 total in transportation but I did not travel to the downtown area. I also stayed at a friend's place and walked to campus... But either way, it still wouldn't have cost more than $100

Have fun, and good luck!
Thank you!!!

Any idea what the post interview turn around time is? I see some schools accepting after just a couple days. What's it like here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what the post interview turn around time is? I see some schools accepting after just a couple days. What's it like here?
They said 6 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre interview rejection through email today. 3.5 GPA, 3.22 sGPA, 504 MCAT. This was one of my top choices, oh well. Good luck to all the other applicants out there.

Interviewed on Tuesday. Great campus, but the immediate surrounding area is not very nice to say the least. Everyone was super friendly and the current students seemed to have good camaraderie. Cute girls as well which is a bonus

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed on Tuesday. Great campus, but the immediate surrounding area is not very nice to say the least. Everyone was super friendly and the current students seemed to have good camaraderie. Cute girls as well which is a bonus

KC or Joplin

(Sorry if this has already been asked here) Is there a fee for the secondary app for KCU? Thanks!

II today for KC campus! The earliest dates were 2/7/18 and 2/15/18. When I went to click the 2/7 date it was already gone, so 2/15 it is! KC campus is a hot commodity.

II today for KC campus! The earliest dates were 2/7/18 and 2/15/18. When I went to click the 2/7 date it was already gone, so 2/15 it is! KC campus is a hot commodity.

Dang, they're already scheduling interviews for Feb? I received an invite last Wed and felt lucky that I was able to schedule one for Dec.

x

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It was a statistic that several different student ambassadors kept telling me over and over again when I interviewed at KC. Other than that I'm honestly not sure about your question. :)

It's not 85%. Not sure where that number came from. But KCU picks some awesome people to interview and you got a great shot if you get an interview I'm sure.

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
How are rotations third and 4th year?

Can any current KCU students comment on what kind of subject material is tested? I've read (or so I thought) that some schools follow some standardized material for testing that makes it much easier to study for, whereas other schools just wing it according to the whims of the professor and what they want to test on. How does KCU do it, and do you feel the tested material is relevant and worthy of studying vs. minutiae you'll never need?

Can any current KCU students comment on what kind of subject material is tested? I've read (or so I thought) that some schools follow some standardized material for testing that makes it much easier to study for, whereas other schools just wing it according to the whims of the professor and what they want to test on. How does KCU do it, and do you feel the tested material is relevant and worthy of studying vs. minutiae you'll never need?

KCU is known for their outstanding curriculum.

KCU is known for their outstanding curriculum.

Yeah, I'm aware, it was a major factor in my decision to apply here. I'm still curious about the question, though.

Is the grading system for 1st and 2nd years Pass/Fail or Regular grades at KCU-COM?

This is probably a few years outdated but this shows that KCU is closer to a 70% overall acceptance rate. Being at this end of the cycle is probably higher.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Everyone,

Does this school send out the secondary or is the secondary the questions we had to answer via AACOMAS about the campus preference, etc.?

Hi Everyone,

Does this school send out the secondary or is the secondary the questions we had to answer via AACOMAS about the campus preference, etc.?
You get an additional secondary. Prompts should be somewhere on this thread.

Yeah, I'm aware, it was a major factor in my decision to apply here. I'm still curious about the question, though.

I would say that all of the professors teach and test over material that you'll need to know for boards. They aren't going to waste your time teaching material that you won't need to know for the future, but that being said I feel like every professor has sort of their own interests and may emphasize those more than others. But with a first time pass rate of like almost 99% at KCU I do think they know what they are doing.

Reactions: 1 users
@kubyx: Each lecture has a set of learning objectives associated with it now. Every single question on the exam has to be related to the learning objectives. You can choose to study by looking just over the learning objectives (which are vague outlines) and fill in from information you learned on the lecture. Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone's link to the interview itinerary work? Every time I click on it it says "This site can't be reached". I just want to know what the schedule is for interview day.

Does anyone's link to the interview itinerary work? Every time I click on it it says "This site can't be reached". I just want to know what the schedule is for interview day.

Nope. I interview tomorrow and still haven't seen the itinerary...

I would say that all of the professors teach and test over material that you'll need to know for boards. They aren't going to waste your time teaching material that you won't need to know for the future, but that being said I feel like every professor has sort of their own interests and may emphasize those more than others. But with a first time pass rate of like almost 99% at KCU I do think they know what they are doing.

@kubyx: Each lecture has a set of learning objectives associated with it now. Every single question on the exam has to be related to the learning objectives. You can choose to study by looking just over the learning objectives (which are vague outlines) and fill in from information you learned on the lecture. Hope that answers your question.

Very helpful, thanks guys.

Blink to primary application?
II the 28th. So does this apply for interviews at both campuses?