2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought it was mostly by email?
I do not know for sure if they do any calls but regardless, all admissions offers will be given via email from 'support@visualzen(.)com'--it's not an obvious evms email address so make sure to check your spam folder as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if people get called more on traffic day or the day after?
At this point it seems like it’s mostly going to be after. April 30th is a Monday and they’ll probably want to have a meeting and take stock after all the dropping is overwith to then send out a batch of acceptances. That’s my best guess

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know for sure if they do any calls but regardless, all admissions offers will be given via email from 'support@visualzen(.)com'--it's not an obvious evms email address so make sure to check your spam folder as well!
Thank you so much!

I just withdrew my acceptance. It was tough but I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing my acceptance here! IS URM, hope it goes to someone on here!

Reactions: 1 users
Here we go, this our week!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got an email with an acceptance around 1pm, accepted the offer!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Just got an email with an acceptance around 1pm, accepted the offer!!!!
Congrats!!

May I ask what address the email comes from? Is it one of the admissions staff or a generic email?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This blasted waitlist confounds a man.

So I’m in the middle third. Does that mean they have to work their way through the entire top third before it’s even possible I get an offer? Aren’t there like a hundred people per third ? Or, someone who matches the profile of someone who declines EVMS, in the top third of the waitlist, has to also decline EVMS, and then maybe I get an offer ?

So I’m in the middle third. Does that mean they have to work their way through the entire top third before it’s even possible I get an offer? Aren’t there like a hundred people per third ? Or, someone who matches the profile of someone who declines EVMS, in the top third of the waitlist, has to also decline EVMS, and then maybe I get an offer ?

someone posted about a week ago that they were just accepted off the middle third. Dont lose hope

Closer to the latter- or, they don't find anyone they want to replace that spot with in the top third so they go straight to you! Hard to predict.

When do you all think we will have news about waitlist movement?? First time applicant here

When do you all think we will have news about waitlist movement?? First time applicant here
It seems uncharacteristicly quiet here post-traffic day compared to other threads. With the exception of Aec3kc, nobody on SDN has reported a waitlist acceptance recently. I’m concerned looking at last year’s thread where people talked about the admissions staff mentioning that lots of the movement was before traffic day but that didn’t make sense..

According to last year’s thread they sent out a waitlist interest email about May 15th and it seems there were a few scattered acceptances after that and in June.

@mcatjelly do you have any wisdom for us? I know you’re not an Adcom but you seemed pretty involved in this waitlist conversation on last year’s thread.

Reactions: 4 users
I was hoping to hear something today, kept refreshing my email all day. Maybe I just didn't make the cut :(

I was hoping to hear something today, kept refreshing my email all day. Maybe I just didn't make the cut :(

All I’d say is that you shouldn’t think of it as a “cut,” just a game with a degree of something similar to randomness to it, and not getting in doesn’t really mean anything about a particular person, per se. Their loss. Anyone who has Angela as their profile picture is a winner in my books. Hope things work out for you—May is a long month. :)

Let’s not lose hope yet! There is still time to get an acceptance! After traffic day people could get off a waitlist at a school they prefer over EVMS and withdraw...

Does anyone have any idea on when/if there will be significant waitlist movement at this point?

My other school threads have been eerily quiet as well, calm before the storm?
Let's hope, I want to call their office and ask but I'm a little scared to.

I called few days ago and was told that the waitlist has already begun to move, I guess lot of people are going to be keeping their spots here which is why we haven't seen as much movement as we did in previous years.

I called few days ago and was told that the waitlist has already begun to move, I guess lot of people are going to be keeping their spots here which is why we haven't seen as much movement as we did in previous years.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt

People with multiple acceptances?

I'm staying hopeful that the largest movement hasn't started yet. If 2/3 of the class usually comes from the waitlist, then it should be picking up soon. If there aren't any acceptances on here yet I'm not entirely convinced that it hasn't begun to move - maybe the Dean is on vacation or something haha

People with multiple acceptances?
I'm not sure. I think since not a lot of schools have done much waitlist movement yet, it makes sense that EVMS hasn't either. I think once these schools start pushing their waitlists, then the gates will open and well see movement here too. At least that's what I keep telling myself lol

I'm staying hopeful that the largest movement hasn't started yet. If 2/3 of the class usually comes from the waitlist, then it should be picking up soon. If there aren't any acceptances on here yet I'm not entirely convinced that it hasn't begun to move - maybe the Dean is on vacation or something haha
yeah we've only seen a little movement on here I think in a week or two we'll see something hopefully. I mean it's only been 3 days since Traffic Day so it's def possible that the committee hasn't met yet or they're taking a bit longer

I was about to call them this morning, but I chickened out too :3

I'm not sure. I think since not a lot of schools have done much waitlist movement yet, it makes sense that EVMS hasn't either. I think once these schools start pushing their waitlists, then the gates will open and well see movement here too. At least that's what I keep telling myself lol

I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools that, historically, have had a lot of May 2nd movement on SDN threads... but have yet to see ANY movement in those SDN threads this year. So, I'm hoping the same thing - that it's just a slow moving year for WLs.

There's always the possibility that the WLs are moving and the accepted students are just not on SDN, but it seems like the SDN population consistently includes accepted students, so I'm hoping this is not the case.

I was about to call them this morning, but I chickened out too :3

I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools that, historically, have had a lot of May 2nd movement on SDN threads... but have yet to see ANY movement in those SDN threads this year. So, I'm hoping the same thing - that it's just a slow moving year for WLs.

There's always the possibility that the WLs are moving and the accepted students are just not on SDN, but it seems like the SDN population consistently includes accepted students, so I'm hoping this is not the case.

I kinda think calling them is a bad idea. You aren’t gonna get what you want out of it (information that makes you stop worrying) but you will annoy them and waste their time. Granted whoever answers the phone isn’t on the committee most likely but still...

I got an offer off the waitlist on traffic day (April 30th) so it definitely has started to move but probably not much.

Where does this 2/3’s number come from?
That’s awfully high and that’s gone up from the “half the class comes from the waitlist” number people have quoted in the last few pages. This sort of feels like a fisherman’s tale/myth since I can’t find any data on that. Unless you were told this by someone at he school, I don’t want to be picky I just don’t want to create that false hope :’(

Where does this 2/3’s number come from?
That’s awfully high and that’s gone up from the “half the class comes from the waitlist” number people have quoted in the last few pages. This sort of feels like a fisherman’s tale/myth since I can’t find any data on that. Unless you were told this by someone at he school, I don’t want to be picky I just don’t want to create that false hope :’(

Yeah, it's definitely closer to half!

Wish I had some wisdom to offer you. :( The WL movement does seem to be strangely slower on SDN than in the last few years, but hard to say if it's just because people aren't posting or if it's a reflection of an increase in applicants choosing EVMS or if the movement is delayed this year. Sigh. I'm sorry. So much buildup to Traffic Day. I'm sure you're super on edge right now- sending positive, WL-moving thoughts.

Wish I had some wisdom to offer you. :( The WL movement does seem to be strangely slower on SDN than in the last few years, but hard to say if it's just because people aren't posting or if it's a reflection of an increase in applicants choosing EVMS or if the movement is delayed this year. Sigh. I'm sorry. So much buildup to Traffic Day. I'm sure you're super on edge right now- sending positive, WL-moving thoughts.
I'm also waitlisted at 2 other schools and waitlist movement has been very slow there as well.

Half is still good though! Hoping that this year still resembles past years

Here’s what (a faculty member? Don’t quote me on this) said:

The AAMC, in its infinite wisdom, decided to hold a GSA meeting in Orlando from April 28-May 1. This meeting was exceptionally well attended because the AAMC, in its infinite wisdom, is ramming through a bunch of unwelcome changes to the application process and folks are up in arms. Hence, waitlist movement has been slow because the admissions deans were all busy rioting in central Florida.

This could explain the lag on waitlist movement. Who knows though haha

Reactions: 5 users
Here’s what (a faculty member? Don’t quote me on this) said:

This could explain the lag on waitlist movement. Who knows though haha
Thanks for the insight! This would be amazing if this was the case and hopefully we start seeing WL movement pretty soon like prior years

Should we submit new LOR ourselves or have our recommenders email the EVMS email?

Just died a little inside as I started my 2018-2019 AMCAS application. C'mon EVMS!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Here's hoping they're meeting today to send invites this week! :nailbiting:

The waitlist is killing me

Reactions: 5 users
Was told by the office that the waitlist has been steadily moving over the past few weeks, so I guess activity on here has not been indicative of the actual movement

Was told by the office that the waitlist has been steadily moving over the past few weeks, so I guess activity on here has not been indicative of the actual movement

That’s strange considering how the SDN population has seemingly had multiple people accepted every year at the start of May...but this does make sense and has been my fear all along.

It seems that, globally, SDNers are just having bad luck with WLs this year

Accepted now. Middle third , OOS, ORM, SUPER non-trad. Bad cumulative GPA, 3.67 science, 512 MCAT. More lucky than good, methinks.

Reactions: 7 users