2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious, how do those who applied to this school intend on paying for it giving that you can't receive title 4 funding?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, how do those who applied to this school intend on paying for it giving that you can't receive title 4 funding?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The way their financial aid office advises.

I've heard they just take our private loans from Banks. Sallie may offers medical school loans to students for a similar 5-8% fixed apr, for example. Just my thoughts, I don't know how people are actually doing or what I would actually do if I went here..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The way their financial aid office advises.

I've heard they just take our private loans from Banks. Sallie may offers medical school loans to students for a similar 5-8% fixed apr, for example. Just my thoughts, I don't know how people are actually doing or what I would actually do if I went here..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
Yeah it would be great to hear some insight regarding how people are tackling that issue. It is the only real major turn off I have with the school. If there are reasonable ways to deal with it I would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they affiliated with New Mexico State? In other words, as medical students do we still have access to all the amenities offered an New Mexico State (gym, library, etc.)?
Yes.

Are there many jobs in Las Cruces? My wife is a nurse and will need to find a job there.
Yes, there is a shortage of physicians and nurses alike.

Last question... how soon after Interviews do they offer acceptances??
This is anecdotal but I've seen anywhere from 72 hours up to 2 weeks, I'm sure it'll change this year again as their admissions process evolves.

Good luck to everyone else applying!
Likewise!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it would be great to hear some insight regarding how people are tackling that issue. It is the only real major turn off I have with the school. If there are reasonable ways to deal with it I would love to hear it.
Realistically, we'll have to take out private loans until their first class graduates, which would be after our OMS-1.

Realistically, we'll have to take out private loans until their first class graduates, which would be after our OMS-1.

I've heard they should have federal loans starting 2018. It's only for the first 2 years but I read this in an article about the school so I don't know.

I've heard they should have federal loans starting 2018. It's only for the first 2 years but I read this in an article about the school so I don't know.
You may be correct, the only reason I said after OMS-I is because I have been hearing that they won't have access to federal loans until they reach their next level of accreditation; which, according to their handbook wouldn't be until 2020 (page 65).

http://bcomnm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Student-Handbook-June-2017-2.pdf

You may be correct, the only reason I said after OMS-I is because I have been hearing that they won't have access to federal loans until they reach their next level of accreditation; which, according to their handbook wouldn't be until 2020 (page 65).

http://bcomnm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Student-Handbook-June-2017-2.pdf

Yeah I reread the old BCOM threads and everyone is saying after 2 years, but I have no idea where they got that information. Does anyone know?

For those who got II's, what was your time span between submitting your secondary and getting the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone answer the question as far as rotations? I don't think I read anything on the website about that?

Last edited:
JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE VIA EMAIL. FIRST II :)

Secondary submitted 7/8. CA Resident. cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.1, 508 MCAT

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite! Submitted on 7/15.

Edit: Scheduled for 9/8.

Last edited:
Scheduled my interview for 8/21!

Anyone know the ratio of interview invites to acceptances at this school?

Interview Invite! Scheduled for 8/30

I'm still waiting for my composite letter to be put together, I have a good feeling about this school. Good luck to all the interviewees.

Scheduled my interview for 8/21!

Anyone know the ratio of interview invites to acceptances at this school?
That may be a good question for admissions but I'd be afraid of coming off too neurotic lol.

I'll be there on the 21st too!

That may be a good question for admissions but I'd be afraid of coming off too neurotic lol.

I'll be there on the 21st too!

Look forward to seeing you then! (I'm not gonna ask them either...comes across poorly, IMO)

Hey guys so I'm interviewing August 21st and I pretty much have everything set for my trip over there except for the task getting from El Paso airport to Las Cruces. In the interview e-mail I they mentioned there's a shuttle system that can take people to las cruces, but honestly their website seems very confusing and I couldn't even find where to purchase tickets. How is everyone going about this? Any tips?

Hey guys so I'm interviewing August 21st and I pretty much have everything set for my trip over there except for the task getting from El Paso airport to Las Cruces. In the interview e-mail I they mentioned there's a shuttle system that can take people to las cruces, but honestly their website seems very confusing and I couldn't even find where to purchase tickets. How is everyone going about this? Any tips?

I'm just gonna put together a bundle of flight, hotel, and car rental tonight and drive.

If you sign up for a USAA account, you can get deep discounts on renting a car (ex. 2 days, unlimited miles ~$60 [even if you're under 25]) that makes it way more affordable than uber and/or shuttle.

Reactions: 3 users

It is cheaper to rent a car if youre 25 and over. I was going to do a shuttle but rental is better. Or you can try to split the cost of the rental with someone else who is arriving the same day/time.

For those interviewing - What are you wearing to interview day? It looks like their temperature is in the 90s on a daily basis. I have a nice blazer I was planning on wearing but I don't want to be sweating in it. Any thoughts??

For those interviewing - What are you wearing to interview day? It looks like their temperature is in the 90s on a daily basis. I have a nice blazer I was planning on wearing but I don't want to be sweating in it. Any thoughts??
My secret is that I'm always sweating.

But seriously, I'm going to wear slacks, dress shoes, with a button down and a blazer. Typical Sunday best/professional male attire.

Reactions: 5 users
Going to have to go with interview standard attire, despite the heat.

Will just have to bathe in Old Spice Deodorant the night before :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Wear the blazer. You will be inside the air conditioned building nearly the entire time. You don't want to be under dressed and come off as not taking the interview seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Wear the blazer. You will be inside the air conditioned building nearly the entire time. You don't want to be under dressed and come off as not taking the interview seriously.

Very true! I didn't think about the air conditioning haha. Thanks for the input everyone :)

Overall gpa: 3.45
Science gpa: 3.37
MCAT: 500
46% female/54% male
9% New Mexico residents
27% minority students

3000+ supplemental (secondary) invites
1700+ supplementals completed
800+ interviews
162 enrolled students

I have attached a photo of the page I get those numbers from. It looks like they just made this brochure. As far as I'm aware there's no online link to it yet.

PS- I don't know how I feel about the first atomic bomb being detonated in New Mexico :laugh:

From last year's thread. Here are the sheet numbers regarding # of interviews to spots. Given its common to accept a lot more than you enroll, I'd imagine that this means that half of interviewees get accepted.

For all those who received an interview today, were any of you completed after July 22nd? Eagerly waiting to see if my application has gotten reviewed yet...:):whistle:

For all those who received an interview today, were any of you completed after July 22nd? Eagerly waiting to see if my application has gotten reviewed yet...:):whistle:
I submitted my secondary on July 19th, but my letters of evaluation were not received until the 21st or 24th.

From last year's thread. Here are the sheet numbers regarding # of interviews to spots. Given its common to accept a lot more than you enroll, I'd imagine that this means that half of interviewees get accepted.
Agreed. When I interviewed last year about 3 people did not even show up. This was great to me cause that was just less competition lol. I think if you interview at BCOM you have amazing chances...although it was one of my most difficult interviews. I think I just underestimated the interview and did not peep accordingly.

Agreed. When I interviewed last year about 3 people did not even show up. This was great to me cause that was just less competition lol. I think if you interview at BCOM you have amazing chances...although it was one of my most difficult interviews. I think I just underestimated the interview and did not peep accordingly.
Can you explain (within reason) what made it difficult?

Can you explain (within reason) what made it difficult?
I kinda got drilled on my gpa (I didnt have this problem at any MD school). I also just wasnt ready since I really did not prepare like I did for others. I had attended a few interviews by then and thought I was good. That was my fault tho. If you minimally prepare then you will be fine.

I kinda got drilled on my gpa (I didnt have this problem at any MD school). I also just wasnt ready since I really did not prepare like I did for others. I had attended a few interviews by then and thought I was good. That was my fault tho. If you minimally prepare then you will be fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA?

Man, my cGPA is average but sGPA is slightly below so I should probably prepare for that, as well as my three course withdrawals. :unsure:

I guess I'll come equipped for anything, but if it's any indication, at least I have my II which means they want me to be there and succeed.

Not sure how they will talk to me about my MCAT if thats the case :/

Man, my cGPA is average but sGPA is slightly below so I should probably prepare for that, as well as my three course withdrawals. :unsure:

I guess I'll come equipped for anything, but if it's any indication, at least I have my II which means they want me to be there and succeed.
Just go in confident. They think you are capable otherwise you would not have been invited for an interview. Just know that they are going to ask and when they do don't give an excuse. Explain the reasoning and what you learned from it. They are looking for capable, humble, professionals. Give it to them. You got this!

Anyone flying into El paso on sat September 9th for the 11th interviews? Looking to see if anyone wants to uber/taxi over together?

My secret is that I'm always sweating.

But seriously, I'm going to wear slacks, dress shoes, with a button down and a blazer. Typical Sunday best/professional male attire.

I would recommend that you both dress traditionally. it is going to be hot yes, but it's only for a while. Wear an undershirt before your dress shirt, and I doubt the sweat will get to your blazer by the end of the day. Better be safe than sorry

They called me saying if I would like to proceed with my current MCAt score, I can get reviewed on Wednesday.. if I would like to wait for my upcoming one, I will be put on hold. :/

They called me saying if I would like to proceed with my current MCAt score, I can get reviewed on Wednesday.. if I would like to wait for my upcoming one, I will be put on hold. :/
Do you mind me asking what your current MCAT score is?