2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will anyone be interviewing 9/29? Looks like an eventful weekend. Would love to meet some of my potential future classmates!

I'll be there on the 29th! I will be driving over so let's connect closer to the date and we can maybe grab a bite before or after the interview. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there on the 29th! I will be driving over so let's connect closer to the date and we can maybe grab a bite before or after the interview. :)

Sounds great!! Looking forward to it!

Finally got to my hotel today and am beat, but is anyone down to go to white sands tomorrow? Or the Organ mountains? I brought my camera and I can't wait to use the **** out of all the film in it

Reactions: 1 user
Any foodies have suggestions on places to eat in Las Cruces??

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Ate today at El Sombrero and had the fajita burrito which was really good!

Finally got to my hotel today and am beat, but is anyone down to go to white sands tomorrow? Or the Organ mountains? I brought my camera and I can't wait to use the **** out of all the film in it
Thinking of going to white sands tomorrow!

So I've been exploring since I touched down Friday. There are some awesome food places here, not just Mexican but a little bit of everything. I had some awesome chicken tacos from El Jacalito, which is a tiny hole in the wall place that looks kinda shady, but it's got great food. I'm a big breakfast person so I also tried a place called A Bite of Belgium. I know, I know, it's New Mexico, what the heck, but I had an excellent omelet with two little liege waffles that was just awesome and a pretty mean cup of coffee. If you've never had a liege waffle, they are excellent and this place does a pretty spectacular whipped Bavarian cream. Had more shredded green chili chicken tacos today at Paisano Cafe. The place was different from what I was expecting based on the pictures on Yelp, but the food was good and it's in old town Mesilla which is cool to look around.

Went out to White Sands today and walked around, did the sunset tour which was nice. It was just stunningly beautiful and there were thunderstorms lingering in the horizon that just made for an amazing sunset.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 3 users

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

La Posta is delicious (I've been multiple times and never disappointed), Andales Dog House is great, as is this little hole in the wall called Habaneros.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Visited White Sands and despite the rain, I was still able to enjoy driving around the sand dunes. I'll probably pay another visit tomorrow if the weather cooperates to do some post-interview sledding! :soexcited:

We had to sign nondisclosure agreements before interviewing so I can't comment too much other than to say that it was a very pleasant first interview experience. From both my experience and what I heard from others, the interview is basically an opportunity for you to advocate for yourself as a prospective medical student. Just remember, if you're there, they already like you. No need to be nervous.

Also, the school and city were also a lot bigger and better than I had thought. Very impressive stuff and really bumped up the school on my priority list!

Reactions: 7 users
When you guys submitted your secondary, did you get an e-mail or a link to a portal? I completed my secondary yesterday, and I have not gotten any confirmation for completing the secondary.

We had to sign nondisclosure agreements before interviewing so I can't comment too much other than to say that it was a very pleasant first interview experience. From both my experience and what I heard from others, the interview is basically an opportunity for you to advocate for yourself as a prospective medical student. Just remember, if you're there, they already like you. No need to be nervous.

Also, the school and city were also a lot bigger and better than I had thought. Very impressive stuff and really bumped up the school on my priority list!
Second this. Great first interview experience and hoping for an acceptance! It's a great school!

Good stuff. I interview on Aug 30. Looking forward to it! Hope to see some acceptance messages from you guys on this thread in the coming weeks!

Does anyone know how long the secondary response can be, for the first question? Is it excessive for it to be around 700 words?

They watched my video last Friday! Or at least 1 person in New Mexico did...

No other updates from the school. Nervous!

Reactions: 1 users
They watched my video last Friday! Or at least 1 person in New Mexico did...

No other updates from the school. Nervous!

How long did you make your first response for the secondary?

FYI: They told us we'd hear back by the end of the week, most likely Wednesday.

I was wondering if someone can let me know how the curriculum style is like for this school I am trying to research stuff on the website since my interview is coming up in a week.

Does anyone know how long the secondary response can be, for the first question? Is it excessive for it to be around 700 words?
That should be fine. Mine was a few paragraphs long. As long as you get your point across enough to sell yourself a bit :)

I was wondering if someone can let me know how the curriculum style is like for this school I am trying to research stuff on the website since my interview is coming up in a week.
It is a systems-based spiral curriculum, so we learn a concept then come around again later and look at it from a different angle.

Curriculum

It's adapted from RVUCOMs curriculum.

When you guys submitted your secondary, did you get an e-mail or a link to a portal? I completed my secondary yesterday, and I have not gotten any confirmation for completing the secondary.

I don't remember receiving either a confirmation email or portal link.

FYI for everyone who is in pre-II land like me: they have sent out IIs on Thursdays this cycle. Hopefully some of us will hear something in 2 days.

When you guys did your secondaries, how many words were your responses? I don't want to go overboard and start another personal statement :)

FYI for everyone who is in pre-II land like me: they have sent out IIs on Thursdays this cycle. Hopefully some of us will hear something in 2 days.
I am in pre-II land but I told them to hold off on reviewing my file until after my new exam Scores
:)

When you guys did your secondaries, how many words were your responses? I don't want to go overboard and start another personal statement :)

Just checked mine, my first one was a little over 300 words and my second one was around 250. Hope this helps!

Interviewed on Monday and they took off the "documents" tab on my portal... anyone else?

According to last year's thread, they added an "admissions" tab after acceptance. Maybe they are clearing up the tabs and making room for our "admissions" tab!

According to last year's thread, they added an "admissions" tab after acceptance. Maybe they are clearing up the tabs and making room for our "admissions" tab!
Maybe...

There was room for more than 4 tabs but you're right, let's hope for the best!