2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Assuming I don't get accepted to medical school a second time?

I guess I should clarify and say for those on the waitlist and no other acceptances, looking to apply again in the future*

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I should clarify and say for those on the waitlist and no other acceptances, looking to apply again in the future*
Retake my MCAT, and build up my app. Age is a pretty significant factor too, so waiting a year can only help I think.

Someone said those accepted of the WL have two weeks to say yay or nah
WSU admissions has been relatively transparent when asked when ADCOM is meeting. If you wanted to know for certain, I'd simply make a quick call :) I'm sure you knew this, but I wanted to chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
WSU admissions has been relatively transparent when asked when ADCOM is meeting. If you wanted to know for certain, I'd simply make a quick call :) I'm sure you knew this, but I wanted to chime in.
Already did.. they said they don't have a specific day set yet. Sooooo...

Reactions: 1 user
For those accepted , is there anything we need to do besides click on the accept the offer link in the email ? Do we have to pay a deposit or do other things within the 2 weeks time allotted ?

Anyone else on the WL here applying to the Wayne BMS or UM M.S. in Phys programs?

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

I think I'm going to start the application after next week if I don't get in anywhere. Already submitted Michigan's.
How do you apply for that? I tried looking up the application form but I cant find it?

I think I'm going to start the application after next week if I don't get in anywhere. Already submitted Michigan's.
One thing an advisor at Wayne SOM told me is if you do end up at the U of M MS in Phys make sure to take a wide range of courses like pharm, biochem, genetics, micro, etc and don't just take a lot of high level physio ones!

I wonder if it is at all possible they prioritized handling the OOS waitlist before the IS... I find it strange there hasn't been a single IS acceptance on this thread in weeks.. At least that's what I hope. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally wouldn't use SDN posts to try to decipher any sort of trend since there seems to be a lot of self-selection in terms of who uses SDN. That being said, Dr. Baker did mention something along the lines of trying to increase OOS enrollment here at the WSUSOM so that may be true.
I wonder if it is at all possible they prioritized handling the OOS waitlist before the IS... I find it strange there hasn't been a single IS acceptance on this thread in weeks.. At least that's what I hope. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else on the WL here applying to the Wayne BMS or UM M.S. in Phys programs?

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
I was in UM's masters in phys program last year and I was accepted at Wayne. So that program is excellent as well.

Hello! My acceptance from the waitlist was ~2 weeks ago and I'm in state, I just forgot to post that detail in my excitement.

Reactions: 1 users
I also got an interview invite. LizzyM > 73, IS, non-URM. I'm also a reapplicant to WSUSOM and have gotten in before so expected to not get an II after rejecting their offer. Nonetheless, I'm delighted!

EDIT: Secondary received on 7/13, Submitted on 7/25
You rejected their offer but then didn't matriculate at another school ?

Called admissions today to ask when the AdCom was meeting next, and she very quickly said "We don't have any specific dates at this moment" :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
Called admissions today to ask when the AdCom was meeting next, and she very quickly said "We don't have any specific dates at this moment" :shrug:

All of the people I know who got accepted to Wayne off of a wait list, were accepted in June.

All of the people I know who got accepted to Wayne off of a wait list, were accepted in June.
That's the feeling I'm getting, but unfortunately the other school I'm accepted to starts in June. So I'm crossing my fingers for the next two weeks!

I thought if you matriculate to any other school, Wayne drops you from the list? Didn't they say that in the decision email they sent out?
Right, I plan on withdrawing before I start school anyway!

I thought if you matriculate to any other school, Wayne drops you from the list? Didn't they say that in the decision email they sent out?
I called about this. The person I spoke with wasn't entirely clear about it, but my understanding is that matriculation actually means starting classes/ orientation.

Not sure about any other school, but MSUCOM begins June 7th.

I suggest you go to the admissions office and speak to an advisor about this face to face. Let them know you are accepted to a DO school but your number one choice is Wayne.

They may move your name to the nearest AdCom meeting date so that you get a final decision before June.

I've heard of a person who was in the same predicament and they gave a decision before MSUCOM started.

I suggest you go to the admissions office and speak to an advisor about this face to face. Let them know you are accepted to a DO school but your number one choice is Wayne.

They may move your name to the nearest AdCom meeting date so that you get a final decision before June.

I've heard of a person who was in the same predicament and they gave a decision before MSUCOM started.
Would you happen to know if it takes them a while to review update letters?

So my financial aid offer doesn't cover the cost of school and I have no familial assistance what so ever. Does anyone know what other route people usually go to cover additional costs? I'm OOS and my fin aid offer doesn't even cover the cost of tuition let alone cost of living.

I apologize if that's normal and I'm just naive, with undergrad my fin aid covered my total costs year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the tip!

So my financial aid offer doesn't cover the cost of school and I have no familial assistance what so ever. Does anyone know what other route people usually go to cover additional costs? I'm OOS and my fin aid offer doesn't even cover the cost of tuition let alone cost of living.

I apologize if that's normal and I'm just naive, with undergrad my fin aid covered my total costs year to year.

GradPLUS Loans (or private loans) will normally cover the rest

GradPlus are unlimited , you can take out as much as you need. With regular loans giving only about ~25-30k a year , every OOS has to either take out these loans , private loans , or if wealthy can pay in cash I guess .

GradPlus are unlimited , you can take out as much as you need. With regular loans giving only about ~25-30k a year , every OOS has to either take out these loans , private loans , or if wealthy can pay in cash I guess .

Btw you can't take out the GradPlus til around July 10 I think . I tried and it said that is the date specified by Wayne State

heads up, for GradPlus you have to have decent credit and no court (civil - monetary ) judgements against you unless you have paid and can prove it. If not then you need a co-signer.

So, a bit paranoid here, but are there different "flavors" of wait-list email? Mine sounded uncomfortably like a rejection without explicitly being one.
As far as I know, they were the same. How did yours read?

hey all, so I was part of the group that got in off the waitlist on 5/5. I took some time to think about it, and I think I'm headed to Wayne! Looking forward to meeting many of you next year :)
Is there a page where people are finding housing/people to share apartments with, or has that ship sailed? Also, I know absolutely nothing about Detroit, neighborhoods to avoid, whether it's a city that requires me to have a car, etc. Any tips or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me. Also yes I am OOS, plz don't hate me.

hey all, so I was part of the group that got in off the waitlist on 5/5. I took some time to think about it, and I think I'm headed to Wayne! Looking forward to meeting many of you next year :)
Is there a page where people are finding housing/people to share apartments with, or has that ship sailed? Also, I know absolutely nothing about Detroit, neighborhoods to avoid, whether it's a city that requires me to have a car, etc. Any tips or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me. Also yes I am OOS, plz don't hate me.

Congrats, dude! IMO Detroit definitely requires a car. Public transportation is pretty bad and grocery stores are scarce in the city. Midtown is a decent spot to look for apartments if you want to be in the city but is a little pricier. Outside the city: Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Berkley are great areas to check out that are prob a 15 min drive from Wayne. I'd join the class Facebook page and see where other people are living.

The "Welcome" email said a formal admission letter will be sent to the preferred AMCAS mailing address soon. I don't know why I haven't received it.

Can you take those anytime throughout the school year?

I sent my withdraw 2 weeks back, never heard anything. Anyone else have the same issue? I sent it to the mdadmisions email

I sent my withdraw 2 weeks back, never heard anything. Anyone else have the same issue? I sent it to the mdadmisions email

I believe that's been the consensus from everyone else who withdrew. No response from the adcom.

I had to send a second email that requested a confirmation of my withdrawal to get a response.

Called admissions today and they basically have no information for us at this point. No scheduled adcom meetings that he knew of and he wouldn't really release anything worthwhile. Just kept saying they accept students until orientation week.

Called admissions today and they basically have no information for us at this point. No scheduled adcom meetings that he knew of and he wouldn't really release anything worthwhile. Just kept saying they accept students until orientation week.
Lovely.

lol just keep staying positive. It was more or less a heads up that its crunch time and they probably won't give away any good details from here on out. I saw in last years thread that you can call closer to mid-June or July and ask if they are still considering you based on your AMCAS ID. But that's a long ways from now and I still have a good feeling for this round.