2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought I searched my spam thoroughly but only just found the secondary invitation from 6/28 buried in the folder... Considering that its been 3 weeks, how much would my chances be penalized by submitting at this point?

I thought I searched my spam thoroughly but only just found the secondary invitation from 6/28 buried in the folder... Considering that its been 3 weeks, how much would my chances be penalized by submitting at this point?
It's still mid-July. I wouldn't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol just get it in asap, 3 weeks is fine this early in the game

it says that there's a 3000 character limit for the optional essays, but there's no indication of the count as you enter words / also doesn't notify you if you go over the count. Is it just up to us to make sure that we are within the character limit?

it says that there's a 3000 character limit for the optional essays, but there's no indication of the count as you enter words / also doesn't notify you if you go over the count. Is it just up to us to make sure that we are within the character limit?
If you are over the character count, it won't let you save. I always wrote my essays in word, so I could tell what my character count was

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So on the website it says we can submit up to 5 LORs, but the secondary only gives us enough space to list 4 LOR writers. How did those of you with 5 LORs approach this? Did you just randomly list 4 writers who are teachers? I'm assuming that they don't want us listing writers who aren't teachers. TIA

Would it be ok to use the first essay as an opportunity to expand on my experiences mentioned in the activities section of the primary app?

Would it be ok to use the first essay as an opportunity to expand on my experiences mentioned in the activities section of the primary app?
I used one of the same activities and talked about a different aspect than my AMCAS, but I'm just n=1

Did anyone talk about an experienced that occurred before they started college for the "failure" essay?

Did anyone talk about an experienced that occurred before they started college for the "failure" essay?
I talked about one that happened after college (nontrad), but I think you should talk about whichever failure taught you the most and you grew from the most. I don't think it matters when this failure happened

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

does WashU average MCAT scores or give more weight to the highest/most recent one? I know they're supposed to be a sucker for high stats, but my first MCAT in 2014 was...meh

Same here, improved from a low 90th percentile in 2013 to a 100th percentile in 2016. I couldn't find any info on how WashU considers multiple MCATs

Hopefully enough time has passed that they weigh our recent scores more heavily!

Anyone else's picture seem blurry when you upload it? It seems fine larger on my computer, but when it's smaller, it's a bit blurry. I have tried everything and don't know what else to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else's picture seem blurry when you upload it? It seems fine larger on my computer, but when it's smaller, it's a bit blurry. I have tried everything and don't know what else to do.

I think that's normal. Don't worry about it.

Anyone else's letters not showing up as received? I submitted the secondary in the second week of July and two of my letters have been at AMCAS since early July.

I'll probably give the office a call or email, but just wanted to know if anyone else has this issue.

Anyone else's letters not showing up as received? I submitted the secondary in the second week of July and two of my letters have been at AMCAS since early July.

I'll probably give the office a call or email, but just wanted to know if anyone else has this issue.

Yup! I was also a little worried about this. Every other school has my letters marked as received on July 13 but none are showing as received on this portal.

I'm applying MSTP and
"The MSTP Admissions Committee expects letters of evaluation for all the research experiences you listed in the "Significant Research Experience" section of the AMCAS application."

D'oh. I did not ask my first PI for a letter (I have 2 others). What do? It's been over 2 years since I last worked there and, to be honest, it was just an experience for getting my feet wet in research.

Anyone else's login not working? I have already submitted my secondary but when I try to log back in, nothing happens.

EDIT: For some odd reason, it won't work in chrome but it does in safari

Anyone else's login not working? I have already submitted my secondary but when I try to log back in, nothing happens.

EDIT: For some odd reason, it won't work in chrome but it does in safari
Try incognito mode

Anyone else's photo uploading but just showing up as a little question mark box or like missing image picture? When I open it in a new tab it says "access denied to invalid credentials" so I wonder if they see it on their side but I just can't see it on mine. I uploaded a normal jpg! Maybe too big?

Anyone else's photo uploading but just showing up as a little question mark box or like missing image picture? When I open it in a new tab it says "access denied to invalid credentials" so I wonder if they see it on their side but I just can't see it on mine. I uploaded a normal jpg! Maybe too big?

It was doing this for me too. Just wait a few hours and log back in. It will likely be there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also happening for me too for the past few days

Last edited:
For the required essay about time we aren't full time students, does this include summer term? I can't tell if it's trying to ask just about things that are atypical

For the required essay about time we aren't full time students, does this include summer term? I can't tell if it's trying to ask just about things that are atypical

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's meant for nontrads.

I agree with @O.T.I. These prompts are there for students who take at least 1 year off after graduating before they matriculate.

Hi everyone, quick question - I was double checking my spam folder today and I saw an email about a secondary invite from WashU but I went to transfer the email from spam to my gmail inbox without first reading it in detail and it has literally vanished into thin air! I read gmail forums and apparently other people have this problem. I was wondering, because I did not get the chance to fully read it and my AMCAS primary was just validated and sent to schools on Monday 8/8/16, was this an automatically sent secondary invitation? If so, would anyone be able to provide me with the admissions contact information email address? I guess I will just have to email and ask them to resend it... which I feel is a bit weird .

Hi everyone, quick question - I was double checking my spam folder today and I saw an email about a secondary invite from WashU but I went to transfer the email from spam to my gmail inbox without first reading it in detail and it has literally vanished into thin air! I read gmail forums and apparently other people have this problem. I was wondering, because I did not get the chance to fully read it and my AMCAS primary was just validated and sent to schools on Monday 8/8/16, was this an automatically sent secondary invitation? If so, would anyone be able to provide me with the admissions contact information email address? I guess I will just have to email and ask them to resend it... which I feel is a bit weird .
Have you searched for it with the search bar. It may have been sent to you awhile ago and when it was transferred went to where it would be at the date it was sent. For example if they sent it July 20th it would be with your emails you received on July 20th. You could also check your trash again.

Last edited:
Have you searched for it with the search bar. It may have been sent to you awhile ago and when it was transferred went to where it would be at the date it was sent. For example if they sent it July 20th it would be with your emails you received on July 20th. You could also check your trash again.

Yes I looked absolutely everywhere, people in the google forum said that their emails have vanished into thin air as well so a warning to people to maybe copy and paste your emails that are in spam into a word doc before attempting to transfer to the inbox! Anyone have the admissions contact email address? Normally the secondaries say " if you have any questions please contact...".

If you have anyone that will just give you the registration link you can sign in through there or you can go through their website to find it. If none of the above works then email admissions

We have received your application from AMCAS. Thank you for applying to Washington University School of Medicine.

The next step is for you to complete our supplemental application which can be found athttp://wumsapply.wustl.edu. If you intend to apply to the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP), you must also complete the MSTP portion of the on-line supplemental application.

Try looking for it in ALL MAIL using the computer as opposed to phone. I have seen that happen and was able to locate it there in the past.

Does anyone know if you can submit updates to the Office of Admissions's email address? I see on the secondary that they say we can email questions or corrections to the email address, but I didn't know if updates (eg. a new publication etc) falls within that?

Does anyone know if you can submit updates to the Office of Admissions's email address? I see on the secondary that they say we can email questions or corrections to the email address, but I didn't know if updates (eg. a new publication etc) falls within that?

I was able to send updates to their email when I applied a few cycles ago. If memory serves right they send an email to say that the information has been added to your file.

how long does it take for apps to be marked as complete after secondary submission?

Last year some took almost 3-4 months to be set to complete.

I literally never got an invitation to complete the supplement (no not even in my spam folder) lol but I was able to log in and submit it and now I'm marked as complete. Will be very interesting to see where this ones goes...

Haven't gotten any email yet, but randomly checked my status page and it says "Interview Offer Date: 8/30/16" and I have a calendar where I can select dates!!

Reactions: 8 users
Haven't gotten any email yet, but randomly checked my status page and it says "Interview Offer Date: 8/30/16" and I have a calendar where I can select dates!!
ME TOO!

Reactions: 4 users
Dang it. Nothing. I had my hopes up for a second there.

Reactions: 4 users
Last edited:
When were you complete?