2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary essay questions:

If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

(optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey people, just a question ... The WashU pre-requisite page states a math requirement as: "Calculus through differential and Integral equations" and "**Statistics can be substituted for one semester of calculus". Would I be alright If I were to a Calculus I + Biostatistics combination?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey people, just a question ... The WashU pre-requisite page states a math requirement as: "Calculus through differential and Integral equations" and "**Statistics can be substituted for one semester of calculus". Would I be alright If I were to a Calculus I + Biostatistics combination?
Contact the school and ask

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

MSAR says secondary applications can start being submitted today. Anyone have any insight?

MSAR says secondary applications can start being submitted today. Anyone have any insight?
Schools don't receive our primary from AMCAS until June 24th, so don't expect a secondary from any school before then

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

The thread from last year reported that people were able to submit the secondary online as soon as it was made available, but were told by the admissions staff that it would not be reviewed until July 1st. Apparently someone submitted their secondary without invitation as early as June 25th last year. Their website states "The Supplemental Application opens on June 21 and the deadline for submission is December 31." Anyone have experience/thoughts on this before I reach out to the office myself? I'd love to get an early start on secondaries if possible!

The thread from last year reported that people were able to submit the secondary online as soon as it was made available, but were told by the admissions staff that it would not be reviewed until July 1st. Apparently someone submitted their secondary without invitation as early as June 25th last year. Their website states "The Supplemental Application opens on June 21 and the deadline for submission is December 31." Anyone have experience/thoughts on this before I reach out to the office myself? I'd love to get an early start on secondaries if possible!
I went onto the website (https://wumsapply.wustl.edu), and was able to click on "Create Login" to get a username and password and access the secondary. No word yet on if you can submit it, since it says opens on June 22 I would assume not, but you can at least get it started!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for this!

I went onto the website (https://wumsapply.wustl.edu), and was able to click on "Create Login" to get a username and password and access the secondary. No word yet on if you can submit it, since it says opens on June 22 I would assume not, but you can at least get it started!

Just FYI future applicants, the School of Medicine administration has just sent out official notice that second year Pass/Fail has been approved as of today, and will take effect this Fall for this coming 2016-2017 academic year, so WashU now joins its peer schools in having both preclinical years graded Pass/Fail!

Reactions: 7 users
I was hoping the secondary app would have a "Anything else you would like to tell us?" question or something along those lines, so that I could inform the committee about a really profound healthcare experience I've had in May and June. Any ideas on how I could go about informing them?

Any idea why the WUMS Secondary page says that "Letters of recommendation via AMCAS will not be logged as received until after July 18th"?

I was hoping the secondary app would have a "Anything else you would like to tell us?" question or something along those lines, so that I could inform the committee about a really profound healthcare experience I've had in May and June. Any ideas on how I could go about informing them?
What are the secondary questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many questions, but the ones that require essay are as follows:

If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

(optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

I have tried to figure it out but I was curious if someone could tell me why this specific school is so respected? I've seen people decline acceptances at practically every other top school when they get accepted here and I don't really understand. No one I have talked to outside of medicine has even heard of the school, but there obviously must be a good reason why people want to go here, would be grateful if someone could explain.

I have tried to figure it out but I was curious if someone could tell me why this specific school is so respected? I've seen people decline acceptances at practically every other top school when they get accepted here and I don't really understand. No one I have talked to outside of medicine has even heard of the school, but there obviously must be a good reason why people want to go here, would be grateful if someone could explain.
I think theyre really generous with finaid? The hospital is amazing. Personally I like the area around WashU (forest park, especially), but the city in itself isn't anything to rave about obviously. Maybe theyre from the midwest and want to stay there? WashU is deffo an up and coming school in all fields, however.

I think theyre really generous with finaid? The hospital is amazing. Personally I like the area around WashU (forest park, especially), but the city in itself isn't anything to rave about obviously. Maybe theyre from the midwest and want to stay there? WashU is deffo an up and coming school in all fields, however.

Current third year here. I mostly agree with this, except for the last statement. WashU is historically a huge name in the medical field: in research, in clinical care, and in medical education. Since I know pre-meds care about USNews rankings, over the last 20 years, WashU has the 3rd highest ranking in the country behind Harvard and JHU. Definitely an established program. But yep, Forest Park is awesome and financial aid is normally pretty generous, including merit scholarships. Other things I'd add:

* great clinical years
* low COL in a very nice/safe neighborhood
* great reputation among program directors
* flexibility during all four (or more) years of training

Also, I know a lot of us are excited about finally switching to P/F for second year, and I think it will have a positive impact on recruitment and student well-being (though personally I didn't mind grades too much). Anyways, I'm always happy to answer questions.

Current third year here. I mostly agree with this, except for the last statement. WashU is historically a huge name in the medical field: in research, in clinical care, and in medical education. Since I know pre-meds care about USNews rankings, over the last 20 years, WashU has the 3rd highest ranking in the country behind Harvard and JHU. Definitely an established program. But yep, Forest Park is awesome and financial aid is normally pretty generous, including merit scholarships. Other things I'd add:

* great clinical years
* low COL in a very nice/safe neighborhood
* great reputation among program directors
* flexibility during all four (or more) years of training

Also, I know a lot of us are excited about finally switching to P/F for second year, and I think it will have a positive impact on recruitment and student well-being (though personally I didn't mind grades too much). Anyways, I'm always happy to answer questions.
I love your Trip Lee avi! Back to the topic, what kinds of merit scholarships are available for OOS students with relatively good stats (gpa, mcat)?

I love your Trip Lee avi! Back to the topic, what kinds of merit scholarships are available for OOS students with relatively good stats (gpa, mcat)?

Haha thanks dude/dudette, been rocking it for a while now. I can't remember the exact number, but I want to say something like 15 full tuition merit scholarships available + a couple more just for women + plenty of need-based aid. Some of the full tuition scholarships get split up and distributed to multiple people around waitlist time.

I received an email saying that WashU received my application from AMCAS even though it has not been verified yet. I did already open an account on the secondary submission system so maybe that's why?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

I have a quick question about their LOR policy. I will plan on contacting the school and asking, but I wanted to ask here first to see if anyone was in a similar dilemma.

My school's committee letter is just one letter, not a packet like WashU asks for. On the secondary, do I just list it as an individual letter because it is not a packet? I also have 3 other letters from other sources, not professors. So do I just list a total of 4 individual LORs? Thanks!

I have a quick question about their LOR policy. I will plan on contacting the school and asking, but I wanted to ask here first to see if anyone was in a similar dilemma.

My school's committee letter is just one letter, not a packet like WashU asks for. On the secondary, do I just list it as an individual letter because it is not a packet? I also have 3 other letters from other sources, not professors. So do I just list a total of 4 individual LORs? Thanks!

Based on how I did it earlier today, add the committee letter under packet and put the other three in the C. portion of the letters, each individually. Reason I say this is because I think I remember in the description of part A. it says a committee letter OR packet compiled by an institutional representative.

Based on how I did it earlier today, add the committee letter under packet and put the other three in the C. portion of the letters, each individually. Reason I say this is because I think I remember in the description of part A. it says a committee letter OR packet compiled by an institutional representative.

This is how it's worded on the secondary:

A. A packet of recommendations or “Committee” letters prepared or assembled by a Premedical Advisor or Committee or a representative of your educational institution.

B. A packet of three letters that have been collected on your behalf.

C. Letters of evaluation/recommendation from people who know you well such as from teachers, research mentor(s) or supervisors that are submitted individually. Three letters are required. If you choose this option, please enter the letter writers’ names on the Supplemental Application.

Do you still think I should go with option A and C, even though my committee letter is just one letter that is co-authored by the committee? Thanks so much for your input!

This is how it's worded on the secondary:

A. A packet of recommendations or “Committee” letters prepared or assembled by a Premedical Advisor or Committee or a representative of your educational institution.

B. A packet of three letters that have been collected on your behalf.

C. Letters of evaluation/recommendation from people who know you well such as from teachers, research mentor(s) or supervisors that are submitted individually. Three letters are required. If you choose this option, please enter the letter writers’ names on the Supplemental Application.

Do you still think I should go with option A and C, even though my committee letter is just one letter that is co-authored by the committee? Thanks so much for your input!

Seems like A is the best option for your committee letter (key factor here is that it's an official evaluation by "representatives of your educational institution") and C for the three individual letters you got, if those three letters were submitted individually to AMCAS.

warning: wustl secondary went to my junk mail!

For the disadvantaged question:

Their definition says a disadvantaged background can span from the formative years of birth to high school. Then the next two questions ask how much is your household income and how many people are living in your household. Do they want that information for the years in which you considered yourself "disadvantaged" or your current info for this year? thought it wouldn't make sense to ask the current information since this subsection is addressing the period in which you were disadvantaged. I ask this since my situation has improved since those years and the number of people living in my household has also decreased. Then, it wouldn't make sense for me to say I am disadvantaged.

For the disadvantaged question:

Their definition says a disadvantaged background can span from the formative years of birth to high school. Then the next two questions ask how much is your household income and how many people are living in your household. Do they want that information for the years in which you considered yourself "disadvantaged" or your current info for this year? thought it wouldn't make sense to ask the current information since this subsection is addressing the period in which you were disadvantaged. I ask this since my situation has improved since those years and the number of people living in my household has also decreased. Then, it wouldn't make sense for me to say I am disadvantaged.
+1

Are you guys writing the optional essays? I don't wanna annoy them by filling the space if I have nothing revolutionary to say.

Are you guys writing the optional essays? I don't wanna annoy them by filling the space if I have nothing revolutionary to say.
I'm probably going to respond to the "time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed" question. I'd feel uncomfortable with not responding to either prompt. I might keep it brief though, 3000 characters is quite generous.

I'm probably going to respond to the "time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed" question. I'd feel uncomfortable with not responding to either prompt. I might keep it brief though, 3000 characters is quite generous.

Same I think. I had already written a similar essay so it's pretty easy to add in.

I wrote on the "failing" essay. Still not verified, but submitted wustl secondary!

Secondary submitted! Does anyone know if they do the fee waiver?

I emailed and asked. Will post back if they get back to me.
I got a reply from them saying that it should be automatic. I tried to get back onto my application however and it wouldn't let me back in. Anyone else have this problem?

I got a reply from them saying that it should be automatic. I tried to get back onto my application however and it wouldn't let me back in. Anyone else have this problem?

I got the same email about it being automatic but I haven't had problems logging in. Are you using the password they gave you when you registered on their website or did you change the password after logging in for the first time?

Any idea why the WUMS Secondary page says that "Letters of recommendation via AMCAS will not be logged as received until after July 18th"?
Apparently the LOEs are being processed as normal. Marked complete with them today.