2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I change my avatar to Totoro, will I also get some love from WashU?
Gettin' desperate here. Trying to see some patterns.
Couldn't hurt. Or a cornhuskers jersey. there's a weeeird number of nebraskans at wusm.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no Cornhuskers jersey, but I offer Totoro riding on corn to you, WashU.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the waitlist. Got accepted with full tuition
Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense. What reason is there to throw money at people that have already withdrawn their intents to matriculate from everywhere else, that are locked in to attending WashU? If these scholarships are intended to recruit, and I think they are, then you're gonna give them to people you're pulling from waitlist instead!

Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense. What reason is there to throw money at people that have already withdrawn their intents to matriculate from everywhere else, that are locked in to attending WashU? If these scholarships are intended to recruit, and I think they are, then you're gonna give them to people you're pulling from waitlist instead!
Where can I sign up?

Reactions: 4 users
I am starting to wonder if there is just less waitlist movement than in previous years. Two SDN posts really isn't a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I am starting to wonder if there is just less waitlist movement than in previous years. Two SDN posts really isn't a lot.
It's only been one day!

We had a lot less posting about scholarships this year as well. Weird. Maybe just not that many SDN users getting love from WashU this year

It's only been one day!

We had a lot less posting about scholarships this year as well. Weird. Maybe just not that many SDN users getting love from WashU this year
This is just me trying to make sense of it all, but do you think that perhaps the order of people who get off the waitlist goes like this:
1. First batch-first few days of May- highly desired applicants who oftentimes have been accepted to other renowned schools, to whom WashU will offer some scholarships to
2. Second batch-mid May- more normal WashU acceptees who are deemed very good, but somehow barely missed the first cut right before the waitlist started
3. Third/last batch- end of May- people who are decent (but not excellent) WashU applicants but who really want to go to WashU

This is just me trying to make sense of it all, but do you think that perhaps the order of people who get off the waitlist goes like this:
1. First batch-first few days of May- highly desired applicants who oftentimes have been accepted to other renowned schools, to whom WashU will offer some scholarships to
2. Second batch-mid May- more normal WashU acceptees who are deemed very good, but somehow barely missed the first cut right before the waitlist started
3. Third/last batch- end of May- people who are decent (but not excellent) WashU applicants but who really want to go to WashU
I've actually never been able to learn how the waitlist selection process works at WashU. I've heard rumors about secret internal ranking, but I've also heard that the people are pulled to replace the demographics that are leaving. It could be that the first round is people with other top 5-10 admits, or it could be that the first round is to try and keep the MCAT range, URM presence, etc stable.

I do think WashU likes to know they're your favorite though, if you were considering continued update/interest letters while on the waitlist. Even with all the merit packages, they struggle a lot with yield compared to their peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is crazy that they are so low in general I think.
I think a lot of people that get into WashU get into other big names too, and most would prefer to live elsewhere than St. Louis

As for the numbers being low in general, it would be because of overlap between places. If Harvard/Hopkins/Penn all accepted the exact same pool they'd each have a yield of ~33%. Obviously schools don't all accept the exact same people but across the top ~20 there is going to be a great deal of overlap keeping the yields low

Is there a time of day Dean Ratts generally calls? I want to at least confine my apprehension to a smaller window of time... haha

So what are we thinking, guys? In this case, is no news good news, that the main batch of acceptances off the waitlist haven't gone out, or bad news, that they're all already gone?

So what are we thinking, guys? In this case, is no news good news, that the main batch of acceptances off the waitlist haven't gone out, or bad news, that they're all already gone?
They are def not all the way through the waitlist motion, not by a long shot.

iirc by AAMC guidelines, people get 5 days to respond to waitlist offers. They probably haven't even gotten decisions back from most people in the very first wave of waitlist offers yet.

Motion will keep going all through May!

Definitely too early to give up hope! Movement will keep happening until the class is filled, and that won't be until well into the summer. I suspect that they're prioritizing people they will have to work hard to convince/poach from other schools, and they have to provide a lot of scholarship money to do so. Maybe once they know how much money they have left they'll allocate that money to scholarships for other people they're targeting. I'd guess it's a higher administrative priority to get their poaching done early, and take more time on people they think are very likely to accept.

is anyone else slightly weirded out by the relative silence on this thread compared to last year's?! it seemed like people were getting off the waitlist left and right all throughout may last year :0

is anyone else slightly weirded out by the relative silence on this thread compared to last year's?! it seemed like people were getting off the waitlist left and right all throughout may last year :0

Kind of holding out hope that there will be a big wave soon...

It also took forever to get confirmation that merit offers had started going out this year. Maybe just having a year with few SDN peeps involved at WashU

May is basically halfway over... Good night sweet prince...

May is basically halfway over... Good night sweet prince...

I googled that phrase and found the saddest thing I've seen all week. As a nerd who has read The Complete Calvin and Hobbes cover-to-cover at least 4 times...

bf403b.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on, though... almost nobody posted last week, and literally nobody posted this week.
I looked through last year's thread, and it seems like there's a batch early May, nothing for 1.5 weeks, then a batch mid May, nothing for around 1 week, and a last batch June 1st.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, so I just double checked last year's thread. There were acceptances going out this Monday through Wednesday. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Crossing my fingers for everyone on this thread still waiting and hopeful - hopefully we'll all make it!

Reactions: 3 users
GUYS! THERE IS HOPE. I JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE OFFER FROM WASHU MED!!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Thank you all so much! For those who are curious, LizzyM 76.5. Sent a letter of intent! Shout out to @flapjack3d since I wouldn't have thought to send one were it not for his post! See you next year! Best of luck to everyone! I'm guessing more will come these next few days.

Thank you all so much! For those who are curious, LizzyM 76.5. Sent a letter of intent! Shout out to @flapjack3d since I wouldn't have thought to send one were it not for his post! See you next year! Best of luck to everyone! I'm guessing more will come these next few days.
Lol I have the same LizzyM and also sent the letter of intent- maybe there's hope after all!!

Things are finally a-movin'. I was also accepted this week and I am absolutely over the moon. I didn't dare to dream of actually getting in. I am so excited.

FYI: they allow 7 days for a response to the offer. I don't know how that compares to other schools, but that may be an explanation for why movement seems "slow".

just out of curiosity, around what timeframe did you submit the letter of intent? congratulations!

just out of curiosity, around what timeframe did you submit the letter of intent? congratulations!
Thanks! I submitted the letter of intent around late April. It was actually slightly before I was waitlisted.

Lol I have the same LizzyM and also sent the letter of intent- maybe there's hope after all!!
Me too, and that's my hope! Though I doubt LizzyM is the biggest factor in considering our application at this point, it's still super encouraging.

Oh my god just got the call from Dean Ratts a minute ago! My whole body was trembling when I saw the number starting with 314! Got off waitlist YASSSSSSSSSSSS

Here's my question: I'm an international student and won't be eligible for any financial aid. Are there any international students on this thread that know how WashU confirms you have enough funding? Do they do Escrow, or is a bank savings statement sufficient?

Last edited:
Oh my got just got the call from Dean Ratts a minute ago! My whole body was trembling when I saw the number starting with 314! Got off waitlist YASSSSSSSSSSSS

Here's my question: I'm an international student and won't be eligible for any financial aid. Are there any international students on this thread that know how WashU confirms you have enough funding? Do they do Escrow, or is a bank savings statement sufficient?
Congrats!
As an international student, I'm almost certain you have the option of either depositing all 4 years worth of tuition and living expenses in an escrow, or you can show them proof of having guaranteed funds from a bank (e.g a letter/line of credit)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Congrats!
As an international student, I'm almost certain you have the option of either depositing all 4 years worth of tuition and living expenses in an escrow, or you can show them proof of having guaranteed funds from a bank (e.g a letter/line of credit)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! Do they take proof of guaranteed funds from international banks?