2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOR rejected today! Can't say I'm surprised but had to apply anyways or I'd always be asking what if. ... :)

When did you submit your mission statement, if you don't mind me asking? I want to receive my rejection/secondary (most likely rejection, lol) so I can move on with my life!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got rejected. MCAT 516 with 3.92 science GPA and what I thought were solid extra curriculars...

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplicant from last cycle checking in. Just received the secondary this afternoon and plan to submit tonight or tomorrow. Having trouble with only the first essay autobiographical statement. I covered a lot of the question in my personal statement and the only other things I could really add are stuff from last year's autobiographical statement.. but then again I dont just want to regurgitate the ideas from last years statement. Anyone have advice? Is anyone skipping this statement all together?

Also, we are unable to apply to WSU this cycle correct?

Last edited:
Reapplicant from last cycle checking in. Just received the secondary this afternoon and plan to submit tonight or tomorrow. Having trouble with only the first essay autobiographical statement. I covered a lot of the question in my personal statement and the only other things I could really add are stuff from last year's autobiographical statement.. but then again I dont just want to regurgitate the ideas from last years statement. Anyone have advice? Is anyone skipping this statement all together?

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/personal-statements they have something addressing this question. I would say use it if you can, but if you don't have anything meaningful to add, then trying to put fluff is going to a bad reflection. Think of how much stuff they have to read, if it's not seriously helping you app, then leave it blank

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I am an OOS applicant and I absolutely love the sound of this school, but I know the acceptance rate for OOS is dismal and I don't want to get my hopes up. Does anyone know the chances of getting an interview as an OOS applicant if you have received the secondary? Thank you so much and good luck to everyone!

[QUOTE
Also, we are unable to apply to WSU this cycle correct?[/QUOTE]
I goofed my quote.

I called and spoke with WSU about a month ago. They are currently in the process of getting accredited and at this stage they are not allowed to accept applications. They plan to pass through the next checkpoint in October, after which they hope to begin accepting applications for their first class. They have not yet decided what they will use for applications, ie not sure on AMCAS. The good news is that they now are looking at a class size of 60 for the first class, up from 40 that I heard at a biotech conference on campus about a year ago.

[QUOTE
I goofed my quote.

I called and spoke with WSU about a month ago. They are currently in the process of getting accredited and at this stage they are not allowed to accept applications. They plan to pass through the next checkpoint in October, after which they hope to begin accepting applications for their first class. They have not yet decided what they will use for applications, ie not sure on AMCAS. The good news is that they now are looking at a class size of 60 for the first class, up from 40 that I heard at a biotech conference on campus about a year ago.

Hmmmm... I wonder if I should just email them about how to apply in October?

Members don't see this ad :)
@BABSstudent
Question on leniency of WWAMI status with strong enough ties to the state. I'll have my time in the Washington National Guard listed, and will try to figure out how to add that my spouse is Active Duty (reason I had to leave WA). Any chance that would stand out enough to keep me out of the wrong app pile? My official residence will be Texas when I submit, and i'm trying to figure out how to keep my app from being DOA.

Write about it in the mission summary and the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Secondary submitted! Hope to see some of you all at interviews!

Any WWAMI applicants submit their residency verification and get an email back saying it would be between 4 and 5 weeks to verify? At that rate my application will be totally complete by September.... I feel like this puts me at a serious disadvantage to get into UW's campus in Seattle. Though not at disadvantage at my home state in the WWAMI region.

Same here.

Me too. But I'm not trying to be unrealistically optimistic, since they do accept like 0.000002% out of state, but I still have some hope because many people have gotten rejected. So why wouldn't they just reject us? Maybe they want to look at our applications more thoroughly to decide if we meet their mission.

Any WWAMI applicants submit their residency verification and get an email back saying it would be between 4 and 5 weeks to verify? At that rate my application will be totally complete by September.... I feel like this puts me at a serious disadvantage to get into UW's campus in Seattle. Though not at disadvantage at my home state in the WWAMI region.

Didn't have a problem getting mine certified, though I submitted the secondary the day it opened and submitted my residency paperwork the week after, so I could have beat the rush. I'm from Idaho, maybe it differs depending on the state.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all WWAMI students have to do their foundations courses in their home state?

Didn't have a problem getting mine certified, though I submitted the secondary the day it opened and submitted my residency paperwork the week after, so I could have beat the rush. I'm from Idaho, maybe it differs depending on the state.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all WWAMI students have to do their foundations courses in their home state?

I heard from my state admissions office that applicants are looked at to get into the Seattle campus, and if they don't make the cut they go into their state WWAMI pool to be evaluated.

Secondary Received!!

Post-Mission Statement OOS w00t w00t!

Didn't make it past the OOS screen. =/
Good luck to you all!

Just got an "application complete email" - thought I was complete a month or so ago but turns out that was just the "secondary complete" email!

I heard from my state admissions office that applicants are looked at to get into the Seattle campus, and if they don't make the cut they go into their state WWAMI pool to be evaluated.

Yeah.. I'm about 98% sure that's not how it works. What WWAMI state are you from?

Yeah.. I'm about 98% sure that's not how it works. What WWAMI state are you from?
I'm from Alaska. I must have received bad information. There isn't much info on our state wwami page on how the application process works.

I'm from Alaska. I must have received bad information. There isn't much info on our state wwami page on how the application process works.

I believe that. I found that sometimes it was definitely more difficult than I wanted it to be to find good information. It's my understanding though that non-Washington WWAMI applicants are never under consideration for a Washington campus, only their own state's campus. Hopefully it wasn't your dream to get out of Alaska as a UW student. You definitely can leave Alaska after the first 18 months, but if you don't plan on returning to Alaska to practice for at least 3-5 years, be prepared to pay back all the money the state gave towards paying your tuition.

On line 3 of the residency form do we put "Medical" under "School: _________"? Super confused on how this works. Lived in WA my whole life and not really sure how what I need to submit to prove it.

For everyone's reference, last year I completed my application 7/24 and received an II on 9/4. So I guess expect a good 1-1.5 months before hearing back.

Is anyone else reapplying this year after interviewing last year?

For everyone's reference, last year I completed my application 7/24 and received an II on 9/4. So I guess expect a good 1-1.5 months before hearing back.

Is anyone else reapplying this year after interviewing last year?
Me! Hoping they aren't sick of me and are willing to reinterview

Congrats! Althogh I'm veeeeerrrryyyyy worried now that they aren't gonna interview me again considering I turned in the secondary almost as soon as possible

Did you guys select Seattle or Spokane? I put no pref so maybe they are interviewing me in Spokane and inviting later since those start later? Or I'm getting rejected? Crap!

Did you guys select Seattle or Spokane? I put no pref so maybe they are interviewing me in Spokane and inviting later since those start later? Or I'm getting rejected? Crap!

I did the "Prefer Seattle but would go Spokane". Don't worry Whyamionhere I bet youll get an II if you got one last year.

I made a ton of improvements since last year, but maybe the overall pool is more impressive this year! Fingers crossed for another one.

I'm an IDIOT...just got the invite

Reactions: 1 users
This is the second time this cycle I've spoken like 5 mins too soon....lmao I am embarrassing sorry

Quick question for all: OOS and recover the mission statement essay request, submitted 7/14 and haven't heard anything back either rejection of secondary.... Worrisome?

Seattle only here. Dr. Teitz last year at the premed expo said that if you put that you are willing to go there, that's what will most likely happen. The chances getting in there are quite a bit higher, so it's deff a positive. I only didn't because of where I live (own a house right off Lightrail) and because my wife would have to find a new job and she JUST started a new position

Ahh that makes sense, looks like I may end up in Spokane which is completely fine since I'm about as single as it comes and don't own a home. I'm rooting for you though @mavric1298, congrats!

Does anyone know whether or not they send out WWAMI II's later than the rest? My state has one interview date and it is not until the beginning of January? It is a little confusing online because they say they will make a decision about your competitiveness to interview in 3-4 weeks, but then they say your WWAMI state may interview late in the year.

Interview invite 8/11 at 3:30. 510 MCAT and 3.47 gpa in state

Have been curious about this.. It's been said that if you apply for Spokane as preference then chances of getting in are quite a bit higher. How much are you considered for Spokane then if you select "Seattle but may go Spokane" preference?

Have been curious about this.. It's been said that if you apply for Spokane as preference then chances of getting in are quite a bit higher. How much are you considered for Spokane then if you select "Seattle but may go Spokane" preference?

That may be the case, but you must have a solid reason for wanting to go to Spokane. That will be a portion of the interview and unless you have a valid reason for wanting the Spokane campus, it may actually hurt your chances.

@dr.cfull I went to undergrad over there I assume I could spin that well enough.