2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if medical students receive medical/dental insurance? If so, which one?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, congrats on admitted peeps and much luck with others who are anxiously waiting.

I'm OOR from San Diego, California and having a lot of difficulty deciding on where to live. I thought Mercer Court grad housing would be the safest bet. But what's the word on grad housing? It looks like UW does not have any exclusive subsidized "grad" housing. Rather just general housing. Thank you very much for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Long time Seattle resident here. There are some great neighborhoods that are within a mile or two of the campus and have really easy bike or bus access to the UW campus, including SOM.

You could look on Craigslist at houses/apartments in Wallingford (I live here), Fremont, or Ravenna. These are common places for grad students to live.

Alternatively, anything that is near the light-rail would be convenient and fast b/c there is a station across the street from the SOM.

I had friends who lived in UW apartments as an undergrad (not Mercer). They were perfectly nice and clean, albeit overpriced and boring.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for the recently accepted waitlisters. What now? Is there anything left to do prior to getting information about UW ID, ECA and setting up financial aid?

When you get your letter, it should outline some next steps. After accepting, the next step for me was to initiate the background check process...you'll get a link for it though, so no need to worry. Also, there is a compliance checklist for admitted students that I have been following: E17 Compliance Checklist | UW Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time Seattle resident here. There are some great neighborhoods that are within a mile or two of the campus and have really easy bike or bus access to the UW campus, including SOM.

You could look on Craigslist at houses/apartments in Wallingford (I live here), Fremont, or Ravenna. These are common places for grad students to live.

Alternatively, anything that is near the light-rail would be convenient and fast b/c there is a station across the street from the SOM.

I had friends who lived in UW apartments as an undergrad (not Mercer). They were perfectly nice and clean, albeit overpriced and boring.

Hope that helps.

Many of my classmates live further east or north than those like in Bryant, wedge wood, lake city, sandpoint, maple leaf or Roosevelt. All tend to be cheaper and have yards, with a single bus line to UW.

Avoid the U District is my advice. It's overpriced and more of an undergrad location than grad school place.

Reactions: 1 users
Many of my classmates live further east or north than those like in Bryant, wedge wood, lake city, sandpoint, maple leaf or Roosevelt. All tend to be cheaper and have yards, with a single bus line to UW.

Avoid the U District is my advice. It's overpriced and more of an undergrad location than grad school place.

Many thanks. Yes, I got the sense that U district was more popular for undergrads and not what I was looking for.

Do many med students do fine without a car? I'm considering saving up and buying a car because I don't want to feel restricted.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. This helps a ton!

Many thanks. Yes, I got the sense that U district was more popular for undergrads and not what I was looking for.

Do many med students do fine without a car? I'm considering saving up and buying a car because I don't want to feel restricted.

A car or another form of transportation is considered a requirement at almost every medical school. You can read up on UW's policy in the MD Program Handbook here:

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/Documents/md-program/School of Medicine Program Handbook.pdf

It's under the "Clinical Clerkship Housing, Travel, and Transportation Policy" section.

Basically, if told to be somewhere then you have to be there. It doesn't matter the time, if buses are not running, your ride bailed, etc. Since UW has so many hospitals and the WWAMI region a car is essentially mandatory.

Re: the email they just sent about summer 2018 stuff (RUOP or MSRTP) - hold up. We have to pay tuition to do this now? Did I read the email too quickly?

As a current MS1, I wish they would have done this for us. I'm currently freaking out trying to find a job for 2 months (since one month will be RUOP) so I can survive the summer. While increased loans sucks, so does trying to figure out how you're going to survive for 3 months without aid.

I'm an Idaho WWAMI student. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. Happy to talk to anyone who has any questions.

I accepted about one week ago and have been working on the forms and stuff. Is there a deposit that also has to be paid?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Have any of the recently accepted gotten their foundation site match yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any UWSOM MS2 students here can comment on the new curriculum? What exactly did people not like about it? What did they like? What changes will be made for entering MS1 students?

And also, as an entering MS1 student, would anyone have any recommendations for things I can do in these remaining 3 months before school starts to prep for medical school. Thank you very much in advance for your valuable advice.

Any UWSOM MS2 students here can comment on the new curriculum? What exactly did people not like about it? What did they like? What changes will be made for entering MS1 students?

And also, as an entering MS1 student, would anyone have any recommendations for things I can do in these remaining 3 months before school starts to prep for medical school. Thank you very much in advance for your valuable advice.

I just finished up first year, and I don't know if I can really answer your question, but I can try. I think everyone has different likes/dislikes, but the reality is that none of us has any other curriculum to compare it to. I think it has a couple kinks, but overall it's pretty good. The pathology thread is one of the strong points to me, and everyone seems to do very well with the path material. I also like that it moves at a quicker pace, but that does mean that we miss time with some of the things that we'll need to know. Looking through First Aid, there are definitely a few subjects in there that our curriculum kind of just skims over and I will have to focus on more when studying for Step 1. I have my complaints about the epi/biostats and pharmacology threads, but UW claims to be working on both of them. The Step 1 average this year was 223, which isn't amazing, but UW has never produced a super high Step 1 average, so I wouldn't say that means the new curriculum isn't as good as the old one. It also probably doesn't mean that it's that much better either.

The only major change for E17s that I am aware of is how they are dealing with "theme" material. They are moving it to intersession weeks and those weeks are no longer optional. This should add three weeks on to your year, one at the end of each quarter. At least I think that's what they said they are doing.

My only recommendation for summer is that you should enjoy yourself. Travel, spend time with loved ones, and enjoy your freedom. You're not going to gain any advantage by doing any schoolwork this summer, and you'll be hella jealous when all your classmates are telling you about the rad summers they all had. The only prep you should do is just making sure that you get all your paperwork done and are ready to move if you have to.

Hope that helps.

I really like the fact that light rail drops you off right in front of the School of Medicine (right?). This would help me with my situation of not having a car. I'd like to know what are thoughts about living in Capital Hill? I'm trying to find a place close to the capital hill light rail station. I know the rent is quite expensive there. But how is the noise and lifestyle there? Any tips or advice or warnings you can give me? Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited:
I really like the fact that light rail drops you off right in front of the School of Medicine (right?). This would help me with my situation of not having a car. I'd like to know what are thoughts about living in Capital Hill? I'm trying to find a place close to the capital hill light rail station. I know the rent is quite expensive there. But how is the noise and lifestyle there? Any tips or advice or warnings you can give me? Thank you in advance for your input.

I have a few friends that live around there. Very walkable. Plus you can live off the main strip and have a quieter neighborhood. Downside of it is cost. Capital hill is expensive. My sister in law pays like $1300 for a one bedroom, meanwhile near laurelhurst I have a two bedroom with a yard for $1550. Find a place like that and split with another medical student and you can easily buy a car, have much less debt when you graduate. The commute to school is the same time too.

In capital hill (same as all locations) you would still need to figure out a transportation method other than the light rail since that will get you to only a single hospital and there are more hospitals than just UW you go to even in the first two years. I guess you could just pay for uber or lyft, but you'll still need a vehicle during 3rd and 4th year.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how strict the computer requirements actually are?

Can anyone comment on how strict the computer requirements actually are?

As long as it works they are fine with it. Never were our computers inspected. If the computer didn't run a certain software then they normally had a backup iPad for you to use (like during a test) or we all did it together in a computer lab.

As long as it works they are fine with it. Never were our computers inspected. If the computer didn't run a certain software then they normally had a backup iPad for you to use (like during a test) or we all did it together in a computer lab.

Sounds good, thank you!