2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm. Didn't get that and I'm OOS.
I got the mission statement essay too (I'm OOS), are you saying you just got a secondary or that you haven't gotten anything at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I just received this email asking me to write an essay before I am considered for a secondary ("Based on your experiences, we would like to invite you to submit a short essay about how you meet the mission of our school. ")
Has anyone else received an email like this? Maybe Babs could shed some light?
Also got this email and I'm from the East Coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I just received this email asking me to write an essay before I am considered for a secondary ("Based on your experiences, we would like to invite you to submit a short essay about how you meet the mission of our school. ")
Has anyone else received an email like this?

I'm OOS and I didn't get this, I just got an email that my application was being considered for a secondary and I would hear back in a month to 6 weeks... Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing...:help:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm OOS and I didn't get this, I just got an email that my application was being considered for a secondary and I would hear back in a month to 6 weeks... Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing...:help:

That's interesting, are you just outside of Washington, or outside of the whole WWAMI region?

Yeah I haven't even gotten this lol. I guess there's no way to know. Invite to pre-secondary is definitely a middle of the ground. Remains to be seen if that email or nothing is good/bad.

Outside the whole WWAMI region, Massachusetts resident.

Well I completed the pre-secondary two days ago and just received my rejection, stating I am not eligible for consideration due to out-of-region status! Good luck to everyone else!

Any IS secondaries received yet?

I'm in-state, but have not received a secondary yet.

I'm in-state, but have not received a secondary yet.
+2, but now that secondaries have flooded my inbox I'm fine with some schools taking their sweet time

Reactions: 3 users
+2, but now that secondaries have flooded my inbox I'm fine with some schools taking their sweet time

Try getting 19 in one day after being out of town and unable to work on prewriting:smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I completed the pre-secondary two days ago and just received my rejection, stating I am not eligible for consideration due to out-of-region status! Good luck to everyone else!

As frustrating as this is, look on the bright side. At least they didn't charge you for a secondary and then reject you. They are one of the few schools that will do this. Others just take in the "free" money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Weird question, but my friends (not premeds) have been saying that ~20% of instate (or "uw applicants?" Can't remember) applicants get into UWSOM.

Is this true? Is this an outdated stat (or just completely false)? I never dug deeper when they said this...

I feel dumb for asking this. I swear I saw this stat pop up somewhere on this site too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I appreciate that! Besides, I knew this was a total long shot, but I love the school so I thought I'd try anyway. No hard feelings, UWSOM :)

As frustrating as this is, look on the bright side. At least they didn't charge you for a secondary and then reject you. They are one of the few schools that will do this. Others just take in the "free" money.

Weird question, but my friends (not premeds) have been saying that ~20% of instate (or "uw applicants?" Can't remember) applicants get into UWSOM.

Is this true? Is this an outdated stat (or just completely false)? I never dug deeper when they said this...

I feel dumb for asking this. I swear I saw this stat pop up somewhere on this site too.

This information is easily found on their website. For the entering class of 2015, 228 matriculated students were from the WWAMI region, while only 17 students matriculated from OOS.

Sorry if this has been posted already. If you haven't seen it yet, on the 8th the admissions page on Facebook posted that they wouldn't begin sending out secondaries until next week (so this week sometime).

Last edited:

That number sounds about right for instate numbers. Since you are specifically asking about UW undergrad applicants, in my class there are about 70-80 students who were UW undergrads. The year they applied, something like 475 UW students applied. Roughly doing the math, for my class it was about a 15-20% acceptance rate. But there isn't a preference for that specific instate school. Roughly the same proportion get in from each undergrad within the state. My year, WSU was very successful in getting in and we have a total of like 11 cougs. They have like 45 students apply each year for medical school so their ratio was higher. But it's a smaller sample size so the number gets skewed easier. We also have classmates from Gonzaga, Western, SPU, PLU and even a couple Evergreen students in my class.

Any OOR applicants who completed the pre-secondary screening receive a secondary yet? If so, what was the timeline?

Thank you!
:D:D:D

^ my understanding is no one has received a secondary yet

Every out of region applicant has to fill out that pre-secondary essay - some will get secondary - then less will get an interview, then like 1 students out of region will be accepted (.42%). The numbers really are that low
and as for the stats :

Directly from UW....Washington applicants have a 15% chance of being accepted (same for Spokane and Seattle). Wyoming residents have a 34% chance of being accepted. Alaska residents have a 22% chance of being accepted. Montana residents have a 32% chance of being accepted. Idaho residents have a 19% chance of being accepted. Applicants whose state of residence is outside of the WWAMI region have a 0.42% chance of being accepted.

Every out of region applicant has to fill out that pre-secondary essay - some will get secondary - then less will get an interview, then like 1 students out of region will be accepted (.42%). The numbers really are that low
and as for the stats :

Directly from UW....Washington applicants have a 15% chance of being accepted (same for Spokane and Seattle). Wyoming residents have a 34% chance of being accepted. Alaska residents have a 22% chance of being accepted. Montana residents have a 32% chance of being accepted. Idaho residents have a 19% chance of being accepted. Applicants whose state of residence is outside of the WWAMI region have a 0.42% chance of being accepted.

So if we didn't get the presecondary, then we are out? :(

and as for the stats :

Whoops! I think I looked at last year's thread and confused the two cycles.

Thanks for the stats though. Makes me feel really good about my odds... I mean, .42%. How can I complain? :boom:

So if we didn't get the presecondary, then we are out? :(

I could be totally wrong - and am too lazy to go find the info from last cycle - but I believe you actually get rejection email....I seem to remember people getting OOS pre-secondary apps at different times last year.

Just keep in mine, as an OOS applicant to UW - you have the smallest acceptance rate of pretty much anywhere. I believe I saw Mayo was the lowest at around 2% for overall acceptance, so I think having the right mindset would be good going into it

I could be totally wrong - and am too lazy to go find the info from last cycle - but I believe you actually get rejection email....I seem to remember people getting OOS pre-secondary apps at different times last year.

Just keep in mine, as an OOS applicant to UW - you have the smallest acceptance rate of pretty much anywhere. I believe I saw Mayo was the lowest at around 2% for overall acceptance, so I think having the right mindset would be good going into it
It's stats like that that really make me regret giving up my Idaho residency.

Yup same here, just came through

I received my secondary at around noon PST. In-state.

I'm a pre-med just kind of lurking here, but I wanted to say that the UW Internal Medicine residency program actually accepts about 60-65 medical students a year. Some of those spots are for prelims, mostly in other UW programs (like all the incoming UW Neuro residents) but I still feel as if that’s a pretty significant number. The IM program also automatically sends interview invites to all UW students who apply and the program has a pretty significant portion of UW students (I don’t have a specific number, it’s available online somewhere).

This may be useful for anyone interested in IM applying to UW.

@BABSstudent

Clarification on the secondary prompt:

"You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office."

My personal statement already addresses this. I figure I do not need to write another essay repeating the same information, correct?

Clarification on the secondary prompt:

"You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office."

My personal statement already addresses this. I figure I do not need to write another essay repeating the same information, correct?

If you are going to repeat yourself, don't. However, this is an opportunity to give more details or cover more information that you couldn't fit into the previous character limit.

In the secondary app for UW, it says that "The UW School of Medicine does not accept activity updates. Grade updates (i.e., official and unofficial transcripts) are permitted. Additional Letters of Reference and changes in contact information must be sent through AMCAS. If you are offered an interview, at that time you may discuss what you have been doing since submitting your application."

Does this mean no more letters of intent are allowed? @BABSstudent

In the secondary app for UW, it says that "The UW School of Medicine does not accept activity updates. Grade updates (i.e., official and unofficial transcripts) are permitted. Additional Letters of Reference and changes in contact information must be sent through AMCAS. If you are offered an interview, at that time you may discuss what you have been doing since submitting your application."

Does this mean no more letters of intent are allowed? @BABSstudent

Correct. But just a little note, letters of intent don't mean much. The school knows you want to go there. Sending them or not sending them likely never really made a difference.

Secondary Received 7/15/2016

1.Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. 250 words

2.How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine? 250 words

3.How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? 250 words

4.What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class? 250 words

5.What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them? 250 words

I'm OOS, however, I want to end up in the WWAMI region for the rest of my life after I'm finished with my MD. Could this help my chances of getting into UW?

I'm OOS, however, I want to end up in the WWAMI region for the rest of my life after I'm finished with my MD. Could this help my chances of getting into UW?
That's what in hoping as well. I'm a native Idahoan but gave my residency up for college.

It's not going to hurt, but you'll still be fighting for the .42% acceptance rate (again it's 1-2 people a cycle).

It's not going to hurt, but you'll still be fighting for the .42% acceptance rate (again it's 1-2 people a cycle).

Honestly, I feel like the acceptance rate is much higher than that for OOR people. My class has a total of 8 OOR students, not including the MD/PhD students. And even more were accepted but the COA as an OOR student is ridiculous ($64k per year for 1st and 2nd year, $84k per year for year 3 and 4).

That's $300k before even paying for room and board. Realistically, that's about $380k total cost of attendance as an OOR student.

Honestly, I feel like the acceptance rate is much higher than that for OOR people. My class has a total of 8 OOR students, not including the MD/PhD students. And even more were accepted but the COA as an OOR student is ridiculous ($64k per year for 1st and 2nd year, $84k per year for year 3 and 4).

That's $300k before even paying for room and board. Realistically, that's about $380k total cost of attendance as an OOR student.

Can you change your residency status during med school?

Can you change your residency status during med school?

You can check the school's requirements, they are listed on the general financial aid website. Basically, you have to financially support yourself for a year. Financial aid does not count. So basically you need to make enough to pay for rent, food, power, bills, etc. and be in Washington for a year. As a medical student that's impossible unless you have a spouse that is working a decent paying job or moved here far enough ahead of time to make that kind of money (but somehow also didn't already qualify for WA residency status first). I don't know of any of my classmates that have successfully changed their residency status. None of them are married either though.

https://registrar.washington.edu/students/residency/residency-requirements/

And here's the kicker. You cannot get residency if you came to WA just for the education. That's why I think a spouse working is your best shot.

Hello all, question about LORs:

"Since we require three letters of recommendation or a committee letter, our system will recognize the references portion of your application as complete when we have received the minimum number of letters. If you are planning to submit more than three letters of recommendation, we strongly suggest waiting to submit your secondary application until our office has received all your letters. If you submit your secondary application before all the letters are entered, your application will go into screening without the optional letters. " - from the secondary website
I'm IS. I plan to submit a 5-6 LORs in total. I think they will all be fine because my professors are my friends (or so I like to pretend).

I don't think that any combination of the three will screen me out for interviews. I'm a re-applicant- interviewed last time, and I have been fairly productive. I want to submit as soon as possible. All my letters will probably be submitted before mid-August. Now that I have the secondary, I would feel weird waiting over 2 weeks to reply to my dream school. I know admissions isn't truly "rolling" here, but I also need early interviews (will discuss in personal communication).

So, my question is: will the optional letters be considered during EXCOM meetings?

EDIT: saw BABS's post from a while back. hope it doesn't seem redundant. just clarifying.

"Since you can submit without the LORs and add them throughout the cycle, and the school doesn't look at them until you submit the secondary, it's not a true part of the primary. "~June 29, post #35

Last edited by a moderator:
@WedgeDawg

As posted by @Neurogenesis+Cat in #89, the secondary application questions are:

1. Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. 250 words

2. How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine? 250 words

3. How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? 250 words

4. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class? 250 words

5. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them? 250 words

With this one for the re-applicants, as usual:

6. From your most recent previous application until now, how have you strengthened your application? 250 words​

Hello all, question about LORs:

"Since we require three letters of recommendation or a committee letter, our system will recognize the references portion of your application as complete when we have received the minimum number of letters. If you are planning to submit more than three letters of recommendation, we strongly suggest waiting to submit your secondary application until our office has received all your letters. If you submit your secondary application before all the letters are entered, your application will go into screening without the optional letters. " - from the secondary website
I'm IS. I plan to submit a 5-6 LORs in total. I think they will all be fine because my professors are my friends (or so I like to pretend).

I don't think that any combination of the three will screen me out for interviews. I'm a re-applicant- interviewed last time, and I have been fairly productive. I want to submit as soon as possible. All my letters will probably be submitted before mid-August. Now that I have the secondary, I would feel weird waiting over 2 weeks to reply to my dream school. I know admissions isn't truly "rolling" here, but I also need early interviews (will discuss in personal communication).

So, my question is: will the optional letters be considered during EXCOM meetings?

EDIT: saw BABS's post from a while back. hope it doesn't seem redundant. just clarifying.

"Since you can submit without the LORs and add them throughout the cycle, and the school doesn't look at them until you submit the secondary, it's not a true part of the primary. "~June 29, post #35

They should be visible at the EXCOM meeting. It just won't influence their decision to interview you or not. If you feel like you want to submit earlier, go ahead. But also know that 2 weeks later really isn't that long of a time. You are still early in the application cycle.

Do whatever you feel best doing.

@BABSstudent, IYO, if i submit my primary this week and prewrite secondaries and have a decent app (on par with median scores and good ECs) will I still have a chance? This school is where I want to go! I am already on a 2 year gap, but if it is too late this cycle I would prefer to just wait next year.

Thanks!

@BABSstudent, IYO, if i submit my primary this week and prewrite secondaries and have a decent app (on par with median scores and good ECs) will I still have a chance? This school is where I want to go! I am already on a 2 year gap, but if it is too late this cycle I would prefer to just wait next year.

Thanks!

It's not too late. I'm not sure how long it will take to be verified (I haven't kept up with that aspect) but I imagine if everything is completely ready you will be complete by end of August or early September. You could be complete (if you prewrite everything) the day you are verified and the schools send you a secondary.

You'll probably end up being average for your timing.

Just got my secondary.

UW has finally joined the 21st century with its new secondary portal!