2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. 250 words

2. How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine? 250 words

3. How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? 250 words

4. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class? 250 words

5. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them? 250 words

With this one for the re-applicants:

6. From your most recent previous application until now, how have you strengthened your application? 250 words

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh man, it's time again already? Checking in as a reapp who interviewed here this cycle. Dream school x100000

Reactions: 1 user
Reapp here too. Still haven't received a call back about my previous app feedback though.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 Reapp from 3 years ago. How are you guys feeling this time around?

Hey, it's BABSstudent. Your friendly (I hope), neighborhood fourth year. I'll be answering any questions you have about the application process, the school or my experiences throughout medical school. Feel free to tag me by typing @BABSstudent and I should get a notification on my phone. I'll also periodically check in to answer any questions not specifically addressed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@BABSstudent How important is an early application at UW? Do you think there would be a significant difference between a July 8 MCAT and June 18 MCAT?

Early is always better than later. The admissions here are not rolling, but interview invites are. But those dates are only a few weeks apart. As long as your primary has been submitted near the first day, they won't make that much of a difference. If you don't submit right away, we are talking about an extra six to eight weeks which will be very different story.

Hey, it's BABSstudent. Your friendly (I hope), neighborhood fourth year. I'll be answering any questions you have about the application process, the school or my experiences throughout medical school. Feel free to tag me by typing @BABSstudent and I should get a notification on my phone. I'll also periodically check in to answer any questions not specifically addressed to me.

Babs is back! I'm so impressed that you've kept this up for years! Last night I spent hours reading last year's thread.

Are you going to stay in Seattle for residency?

Also, on an actually relevant note, I read you wrote (I think) that the majority of applicants are accepted in March which supports what you are currently saying about not-quite-rolling process. Last time, I applied in mid-late August. As a re-applicant, I'd like to think that's one aspect I can change that will make a difference. This year, I'm going to aim for the first week, nay, first day (...let's hope...). Maybe more realistically before July. Please say it makes a slight difference with UW!

Also, also, has anyone heard about WSU's new SOM? I've read that they plan to enroll for 2017. I can't access the schools portion of AMCAS yet to confirm (coincidentally, because my UW e-transcript hasn't been received yet). And they don't have a sdn thread yet. I'm not here to stir up a rivalry. Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, and we definitely need more physicians overall - as in, rural, suburban, urban all of the above. The desirability of Seattle gives me angst now. It's like everyone knows our secret. Washington is the best - gloomy fall through spring and perfect summers. Sorry if I seem a little too enthusiastic with the state pride. I've been away from my 98/99/00--- zip code for too long. Really missing home.

Babs is back! I'm so impressed that you've kept this up for years! Last night I spent hours reading last year's thread.

Are you going to stay in Seattle for residency?

Also, on an actually relevant note, I read you wrote (I think) that the majority of applicants are accepted in March which supports what you are currently saying about not-quite-rolling process. Last time, I applied in mid-late August. As a re-applicant, I'd like to think that's one aspect I can change that will make a difference. This year, I'm going to aim for the first week, nay, first day (...let's hope...). Maybe more realistically before July. Please say it makes a slight difference with UW!

Also, also, has anyone heard about WSU's new SOM? I've read that they plan to enroll for 2017. I can't access the schools portion of AMCAS yet to confirm (coincidentally, because my UW e-transcript hasn't been received yet). And they don't have a sdn thread yet. I'm not here to stir up a rivalry. Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, and we definitely need more physicians overall - as in, rural, suburban, urban all of the above. The desirability of Seattle gives me angst now. It's like everyone knows our secret. Washington is the best - gloomy fall through spring and perfect summers. Sorry if I seem a little too enthusiastic with the state pride. I've been away from my 98/99/00--- zip code for too long. Really missing home.
I am planning on applying for residency in internal medicine. I like the hospitals and want to continue to work in them. I like sick patients, critically thinking, guiding people either to health or a good death. Unfortunately there are not many spots open in Seattle for internal medicine so I am have to leave, but I'll find out next March. Applications open/due September 15th and I'll be interviewing through November and December.

And being early with med school applications can only help you. If you submit within the first week the app opens, you will be verified by the time apps are downloaded by medical schools. Go onto the various school specific threads and prepare for their prompts for the secondaries before you get them because nearly everyone is given a secondary. Submit those ASAP. You can be done with the apps by mid to late July so you get the first interview offers. That's how you get success with applying to medical school. Compete against a fraction of the applicants rather than being late and competing against all applicants.

And being early with med school applications can only help you. If you submit within the first week the app opens, you will be verified by the time apps are downloaded by medical schools. Go onto the various school specific threads and prepare for their prompts for the secondaries before you get them because nearly everyone is given a secondary. Submit those ASAP. You can be done with the apps by mid to late July so you get the first interview offers. That's how you get success with applying to medical school. Compete against a fraction of the applicants rather than being late and competing against all applicants.

I called UWSOM admissions yesterday and asked about this and they seemed very adamant that it makes no difference. Are they just saying that to look good on paper?

I chatted with the dean of admissions at UW and she advised that my late application last year was a problem, so I would say it can only help you to submit as early as possible

I would just LOVE to be told the same thing 2 phone calls in a row haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called UWSOM admissions yesterday and asked about this and they seemed very adamant that it makes no difference. Are they just saying that to look good on paper?
It does make a difference at ALL medical schools. UW it makes less of a difference because they do not have true rolling admissions. But being earlier will only help you. Think about it like this, the school will receive 7,000 applications. If you return the app in the first day possible, finish the secondary early, etc. you have much better odds for interviews. If the school will interview 1000 people and you are the first application, they are more likely to interview you. If you wait until the end, interviews have already happened so the total number they can interview will be less, maybe 700 left. Some of those will already be scheduled, so now 500 open interview slots left. There are also 7,000 applicants fighting for 500 interview slots. Do the math. Being earlier will help, even when the school doesn't do traditional rolling admissions.

I take it that you will be applying to more than one medical school, if not then I suggest you do. It's more important to be a doctor than be so fixed on attending a single medical school. Go with the general rule of thumb than holding onto what one school says.

Reactions: 1 users
I take it that you will be applying to more than one medical school, if not then I suggest you do. It's more important to be a doctor than be so fixed on attending a single medical school. Go with the general rule of thumb than holding onto what one school says.

I'm definitely applying broadly. It's just that it's the only in-state school I can apply to and I would love for my wife to be able to keep her job. Definitely #1 pick

I'm definitely applying broadly. It's just that it's the only in-state school I can apply to and I would love for my wife to be able to keep her job. Definitely #1 pick
Which WWAMI state are you from?

WSU has a medical school too now.

https://medicine.wsu.edu

There is also the Yakima DO school. So you have three medical schools you could go to.

That is true, I'd love to go to the WSU school too, but I'm worried about its small acceptance size (60 IIRC). I've kept up with their accreditation process but it looks like they accreditation body will not be able to make a ruling until October. It's not currently available on the AMCAS dropdown menu either.

Definitely applying to that DO school too though.

I am planning on applying for residency in internal medicine. I like the hospitals and want to continue to work in them. I like sick patients, critically thinking, guiding people either to health or a good death. Unfortunately there are not many spots open in Seattle for internal medicine so I am have to leave, but I'll find out next March.

1) Yay for IM.
2) Noooooo, that is not what I wanted to hear (re: not many spots)
3) Good luck!!

Okay, UW TRANSCRIPTS. Has anyone had any success with eSCRIP-SAFE in submitting UW transcripts? I think I accidentally just spent $9 for a transcript to go into cyberspace. Hopefully, no one else follows this path as the AMCAS instruction manual says "Problems with transcripts are the number one cause of processing delays and missed application deadlines. Please review this section carefully". Yup, should have read that first....

[UPDATE] For UW students applying, I can confirm that an e-transcript is possible! woohoo! but you need to give your ID numbers to the Registrar office somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Yay for IM.
2) Noooooo, that is not what I wanted to hear (re: not many spots)
3) Good luck!!

Okay, UW TRANSCRIPTS. Has anyone had any success with eSCRIP-SAFE in submitting UW transcripts? I think I accidentally just spent $9 for a transcript to go into cyberspace. Hopefully, no one else follows this path as the AMCAS instruction manual says "Problems with transcripts are the number one cause of processing delays and missed application deadlines. Please review this section carefully". Yup, should have read that first....

[UPDATE] For UW students applying, I can confirm that an e-transcript is possible! woohoo! but you need to give your ID numbers to the Registrar office somehow.

I just walked into Schmitz and gave them the transcript form from AMCAS

I just walked into Schmitz and gave them the transcript form from AMCAS

Yeah, it's not fun not being in Washington during this whole process. Luckily, I've only had positive experiences with...it seems...all of Schmitz Hall by e-mail and phone. Seattle Freeze might be real, but at least we're nice about it.

Yeah, it's not fun not being in Washington during this whole process. Luckily, I've only had positive experiences with...it seems...all of Schmitz Hall by e-mail and phone. Seattle Freeze might be real, but at least we're nice about it.

Yeah they're surprisingly good at returning e-mails and phone calls. I really appreciate the staff there.

So.... complete OOS here (East Coast) considering applying here - the accept rate is ridiculously low for not WWAMI states right?

Is UW worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission.

Is UW worth applying to as a CA resident with a 3.76 GPA/517 MCAT? The my application is geared towards their mission.

It's worth a chance. UW has one of the cheapest secondary fees in the country. Some places charge >$120, I think UW charges $35.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Also having an issue with my transcript. I requested that the official transcript be sent on 05/19, and got notification from UW that it was sent on 05/20. AMCAS still does not indicate that it was sent: "Not Received" status still displayed. I sent an email to AMCAS regarding the issue and have not yet heard back.

Edit: this was an eTranscript.

Personally, I ordered the eTranscript without submitting the AMCAS transcript form request. I didn't get an e-mail back from UW or AMCAS at first, so I started getting anxious which is when I realized that UW needed more information. I think UW e-mailed me about a week later.

Did you ever give the UW registrar your AMCAS ID? I imagine you must have if they already sent it. Maybe AMCAS is just a bit busy now....

I did the e-transcript this cycle and last, and had no issues!

That is true, I'd love to go to the WSU school too, but I'm worried about its small acceptance size (60 IIRC). I've kept up with their accreditation process but it looks like they accreditation body will not be able to make a ruling until October. It's not currently available on the AMCAS dropdown menu either.

I emailed back and forth with their communications director and they were pretty vague about whether or not they would be accepting applicants this Fall. I'm still going to follow their accreditation process pretty closely though and try to submit an app the second they start accepting them.

Also good luck to everyone who is applying!

Do we know what the UWSOM secondary is for the 2016-2017 application cycle? Is it any different from the previous cycle?

What's the deal with the LOR requirement? Is that not considered part of the primary?

Since you can submit without the LORs and add them throughout the cycle, and the school doesn't look at them until you submit the secondary, it's not a true part of the primary.

[cross posting in the past application cycle thread]
I have a few questions regarding the social sciences requirement. I do not wish to go back to school just for social science classes, as I am finishing up my degree next quarter. So thank you for any help!
My main concern: what is the definition of 1 quarter in terms of credits.

1) Does three 5 credit courses taken in a quarter count as 3 quarters or 1 quarter?
2) Does a 2 credit course taken in one quarter count as 1 quarter?
3) Does a pass/fail course taken in one quarter count as 1 quarter?
4) I noticed that ethics fulfills the social sciences requirement, does bioethics work? It has a BIO course #.

They actually posted something about checking prereqs via a catalyst tool today on their Facebook page! Facebook page link is https://www.facebook.com/UWSOM/

Catalyst page link:
https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey...545255276de50c53b260abd91f1d56f5c8f39d5362f73

They ask for feedback and can answer any more specific questions at [email protected]

Soooooo about 1 spot for OOS, eh? Why does this Texas gal have to be so IN LOVE with the Pacific NW???

How much does the secondary at UMSOM cost?

Hey all, I just received this email asking me to write an essay before I am considered for a secondary ("Based on your experiences, we would like to invite you to submit a short essay about how you meet the mission of our school. ")
Has anyone else received an email like this?

$35

Hey all, I just received this email asking me to write an essay before I am considered for a secondary ("Based on your experiences, we would like to invite you to submit a short essay about how you meet the mission of our school. ")
Has anyone else received an email like this? Maybe Babs could shed some light?

Has anyone else received an email like this? Maybe Babs could shed some light?
I got one today as well. I'm a native Idahoan but I have Utah residency now. I thought that might be the reason for it.

I got that email as well; from last year's thread, it seems like they use it to screen OOS applicants only, iirc. Because they're a state school, they want to ensure more applicants that will serve in Washington State after medical school, I guess.

I got that email as well; from last year's thread, it seems like they use it to screen OOS applicants only, iirc. Because they're a state school, they want to ensure more applicants that will serve in Washington State after medical school, I guess.
I was just poking around last year's thread too. Yeah, it makes sense since I'm OOS as well. Thanks!

+1. Are you non WWAMI by any chance?

Received this, OOS military but born in Bremerton. Will complete tomorrow.