2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anybody else struggling with this secondary? Between the autobiographical statement, "why UW values", "why you're ready to be a physician" and "what perspectives" I feel like I can't help but repeat myself. Does anybody have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

UW and OHSU were both the hardest of the 29 this year and 19 I did last year. Just really reflect and make sure to SHOW them who you are, not tell them. Go watch the recorded presentations on the website by the Dean of Admissions, some GREAT info there. I'll keep repeating myself and that, because it really will help if you do

UW and OHSU were both the hardest of the 29 this year and 19 I did last year. Just really reflect and make sure to SHOW them who you are, not tell them. Go watch the recorded presentations on the website by the Dean of Admissions, some GREAT info there. I'll keep repeating myself and that, because it really will help if you do

When I applied four years ago, Duke and OHSU were by far the hardest and most grueling applications to fill out. I still remember that to this day. The worst part was I didn't get an interview at either school. Oh well.

Good luck everybody on surviving the secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So excited! OOR Applicant. This is my top choice school!
Mission Statement Complete 7/9
Secondary Request 7/18
Secondary Submitted 7/19
I can't believe I got a secondary. Seriously thought I had no chance being out of state. Good luck everyone!

I've been an undergrad for 3 years at UW with residency, lived in WA for 7 years, own a home here, and was certified as in state last year, drivers L, etc etc etc....and just received a request for residency validation haha. So I go to the page they linked to, and it had two options: new residency form, or current residents going to school in a another state. Had to call and leave a message, hopefully they can get it figured out quickly

I've been an undergrad for 3 years at UW with residency, lived in WA for 7 years, own a home here, and was certified as in state last year, drivers L, etc etc etc....and just received a request for residency validation haha. So I go to the page they linked to, and it had two options: new residency form, or current residents going to school in a another state. Had to call and leave a message, hopefully they can get it figured out quickly

Pretty much lived in WA my entire life and just got the email. Pretty annoying.

update: contacted the residency department, they promptly got back to me, we had a 2 minute discussion (with a very helpful individual on the phone), and an email was sent to UWSOM that I was cc'ed on confirming my res. status within 10 minutes. Good on ya UW, that was quick and painless

Pretty much lived in WA my entire life and just got the email. Pretty annoying.

same here. ugh. date you arrived in Washington? uhh....my birth. certified legal residence? uh....also my birth??

Any OOR applicant receive a secondary post submitting your response to the mission statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it was not very clear where I should submit all of these very delicate forms and information to. I sent it to the [email protected] residency email, hope that is correct...

Rejection today. Good luck everyone.

3.97 gpa 520 MCAT OOR but was born and grew up IR. I never got the secondary as well just the pre-secondary.
Wow what an incredible GPA and MCAT. I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, but without a doubt you will have other amazing opportunities coming your way! Good luck and keep your head up!

Received Secondary today!!! OOR
Statement request 7/9/2015
statement submitted 7/15/2015
LizzyM mid 60s. I am very excited @.@

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm sure I will be, but I'm just wondering if being an alum is given any weight when considering to accept someone OOS.

I heard they don't value their own undergrads over others. I am an Alum as well but I doubt it helped me. I'm sure it won't hurt anything though, especially if you have a LOR from someone who that admissions board might be familiar with ;)

In case anyone from WA was wondering, we have to mail or walk in all of our verification documents. No emailing them.

I heard they don't value their own undergrads over others. I am an Alum as well but I doubt it helped me. I'm sure it won't hurt anything though, especially if you have a LOR from someone who that admissions board might be familiar with ;)
That's what I was wondering. Maybe I'll give it a shot given the low fee.

Last edited:
What do you mean by verification documents?

Some WA residents have to send in documents verifying they are WA residents. I'm not sure who gets flagged or if it is random. I never had to do it, but I know lots of my classmates did.

Some WA residents have to send in documents verifying they are WA residents. I'm not sure who gets flagged or if it is random. I never had to do it, but I know lots of my classmates did.

Weird. I'd like to avoid driving 3 hours to turn in a piece of paper...

Weird. I'd like to avoid driving 3 hours to turn in a piece of paper...

If only it was one piece of paper. Mine ended up being somewhere around 30 or so with all the associated documents...I sent it priority mail.

I just decided to go ahead and submit my primary app to UW today even though I don't think I'll get in.
IS, undergrad at UW, 3.63, 501
How long does it take until I hear about a secondary?

Not sure, it took me about 2 weeks after I submitted the primary. It's a bit late but hey its worth a shot

Hi guys! OOS Working on my secondary after getting passed the mission statement round. Are you all writing more for the autobiographical statement addendum? Really wrote a ton between my AMCAS statement, secondary, and activities descriptions. Not sure what to put here... I am taking a gap year - Would discussing my activities postgrad be appropriate? Anyone leave it blank?

I just decided to go ahead and submit my primary app to UW today even though I don't think I'll get in.

Not sure, it took me about 2 weeks after I submitted the primary. It's a bit late but hey its worth a shot

I don't think it's late. They only sent out the first batch of secondaries less than 2 weeks ago :)

Reactions: 1 users
I left it blank as I applied last year and wrote my goals as a physician in it. Between two different PS and that, I felt no need to write any more.

Hi guys! OOS Working on my secondary after getting passed the mission statement round. Are you all writing more for the autobiographical statement addendum? Really wrote a ton between my AMCAS statement, secondary, and activities descriptions. Not sure what to put here... I am taking a gap year - Would discussing my activities postgrad be appropriate? Anyone leave it blank?
Hi Patchy! I'm OOS as well and filled out the secondary a couple of weeks ago. I did add some stuff under the autobiographical statement section about my gap year working with child abuse survivors. If you haven't already extensively discussed your gap year activities, I think this is the perfect place to do it! Hope this helps and congrats on getting the secondary!!

Why do you think you won't get in? If you look at this matrix showing the GPA and MCAT of my class (E-2016), you're right in the sweet spot: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/gpa-and-mcat

With the UW stats do matter, but the entirety of your application (letters, volunteering, clinical experience, interview) is more important.

Make sure to look through this info: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/applicants/advice

Why do you think you won't get in? If you look at this matrix showing the GPA and MCAT of my class (E-2016), you're right in the sweet spot: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/gpa-and-mcat

With the UW stats do matter, but the entirety of your application (letters, volunteering, clinical experience, interview) is more important.

Make sure to look through this info: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/applicants/advice
Thanks for the optimism! I just think I didn't do enough during undergrad to get attention. The people I know who have gotten in were very active in clubs and were friends with profs.

It's not too late. I'm not sure how long it will take to be verified (I haven't kept up with that aspect) but I imagine if everything is completely ready you will be complete by end of August or early September. You could be complete (if you prewrite everything) the day you are verified and the schools send you a secondary.

You'll probably end up being average for your timing.

Thank you BABS! I am in the same situation...submitted recently and hope I can be be verified and completed by late August if not earlier! :)

I submitted the screening essay on 7/22, and I was wondering when I should expect any secondary love....or not-love.

I submitted the screening essay on 7/22, and I was wondering when I should expect any secondary love....or not-love.

I received the mission statement on July 8. Submitted July 15. Secondary request on July 25. I applied as OOR. Best of luck!

I received the mission statement on July 8. Submitted July 15. Secondary request on July 25. I applied as OOR. Best of luck!

I got mine on the 8th as well, sent in on 7/22. Thanks for the info though!

Hey, does anybody know if it's important that I get an email saying that my application has been completed? I got everything in a couple of days ago and they seemed to be checked off in the status section in the secondary application portal.

Hey, does anybody know if it's important that I get an email saying that my application has been completed? I got everything in a couple of days ago and they seemed to be checked off in the status section in the secondary application portal.
Hi. I have only gotten a secondary application complete email that said they would send another email once my entire application is complete. I think it just takes them a bit of time to process everything then send an email out to complete applicants. Good luck!

Hi. I have only gotten a secondary application complete email that said they would send another email once my entire application is complete. I think it just takes them a bit of time to process everything then send an email out to complete applicants. Good luck!

Great, Thanks!

Have any other OOR applicants only received an email from UWSOM saying "Thank you for choosing the University of Washington School of Medicine as one of your top medical schools. We have received your preliminary application from AMCAS, and in the near future your file will undergo a preliminary review... You will be notified as soon as possible if you are selected to submit secondary application materials."? I got this email almost a month ago and I never even received the pre-secondary application (asking about their mission statement)...

Have any other OOR applicants only received an email from UWSOM saying "Thank you for choosing the University of Washington School of Medicine as one of your top medical schools. We have received your preliminary application from AMCAS, and in the near future your file will undergo a preliminary review... You will be notified as soon as possible if you are selected to submit secondary application materials."? I got this email almost a month ago and I never even received the pre-secondary application (asking about their mission statement)...
Me neither. I assume that means we've been screened out and will get a rejection email at some point.

OOR rejected today! Can't say I'm surprised but had to apply anyways or I'd always be asking what if. ... :)