2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats up guys I'm an M1 here if you have any questions. They tend to hold off throwing out alot of acceptances early on so hang in there. Our school has very high waitlist movement. If you aren't accepted in the month you interview they will continue to look at your app every month when they meet up for the ad com.

Are you contacted after your interview only if you are accepted, or are you contacted regardless of their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the insight. do you know if acceptances are given out once the interview month has passed, but before being waitlisted? It seems like from what I've read, acceptances either come a few days after the interview or in the spring once you've been waitlisted...
Yes it is possible to get accepted in the months following your interview if you were not initially accepted in that month

Are you contacted after your interview only if you are accepted, or are you contacted regardless of their decision?
If you are accepted you will get an email from the dean asking you to call him or he'll call you directly. If not accepted, you will get a letter via snail mail saying your app will continue to be looked at throughout the months

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who has received the hold letter after interviewing, what exactly does your letter say? In previous years threads, people have commented about being highly ranked by the admissions committee. My letter just said "The committee has completed their assessment of your application and they have assigned your application an overall committee score."

To anyone who has received the hold letter after interviewing, what exactly does your letter say? In previous years threads, people have commented about being highly ranked by the admissions committee. My letter just said "The committee has completed their assessment of your application and they have assigned your application an overall committee score."
When did you interview?

Cricket, cricket, cricket........has anyone heard anything from Nov 2 interviews?

Got invited for an interview in December! Anyone know what the interview questions are like? or have any tips for interviewing?

Got invited for an interview in December! Anyone know what the interview questions are like? or have any tips for interviewing?
So I haven't interviewed here yet, but at my other interviews, I have met more than a few people who have said that the interviews here have not been very laid back with a few even saying their interviewers were cold at best and hostile at worst.

I would of course defer to someone on this forum who has actually interviewed here, but let this just serve as a head's up for what's possible in regards to the tone of the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
So I haven't interviewed here yet, but at my other interviews, I have met more than a few people who have said that the interviews here have not been very laid back with a few even saying their interviewers were cold at best and hostile at worst.

I would of course defer to someone on this forum who has actually interviewed here, but let this just serve as a head's up for what's possible in regards to the tone of the interview.

My interviews here in September were completely the opposite. The people were SO warm and inviting, and both interviews were very conversational and relaxed, and I felt really good about how they went. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you relax and know your application and your motivation for medicine really well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One of my interviewers was really nice and easy to talk to, I really liked him. My other interviewer was very hostile and made me feel really uncomfortable, I was on the defense for everything and no answer I gave satisfied him. However, I did get accepted, so maybe it was a good cop/ bad cop sort of thing. Entirely depends on your interviewer and your chemistry with them. Don't sweat it, just be yourself and you'll do great!

One of my interviewers was really nice and easy to talk to, I really liked him. My other interviewer was very hostile and made me feel really uncomfortable, I was on the defense for everything and no answer I gave satisfied him. However, I did get accepted, so maybe it was a good cop/ bad cop sort of thing. Entirely depends on your interviewer and your chemistry with them. Don't sweat it, just be yourself and you'll do great!
Do you remember the name of the hostile interviewer? I'm interviewing here soon and I'm just curious! Thanks!

II today! Extremely Excited. OOS. Went here for undergrad. It would be great to stay a Gamecock my whole academic career!

That's my status too (OOS/went here for undergrad), my interview is tomorrow! How did your interview go??

Members don't see this ad :)
That's my status too (OOS/went here for undergrad), my interview is tomorrow! How did your interview go??
Things went well. One interview better than the other but overall I enjoyed it! Wasn't admitted at first but still under review for the future. Good luck!

Did anyone who interviewed last week hear anything today? I'm moving forward with the assumption that I'm on hold, but I'm just curious if anyone else has heard back.

Whats up guys I'm an M1 here if you have any questions. They tend to hold off throwing out alot of acceptances early on so hang in there. Our school has very high waitlist movement. If you aren't accepted in the month you interview they will continue to look at your app every month when they meet up for the ad com.

Interviewing on the 15th! I got an interview back in September for this spring semester. I heard you hear back within a few days? Is that true or is it after a month? Also how do you love Columbia? It seems like a great city and University? If you could share that would be awesome! Super hype and is there anything I should keep in mind while interviewing?!

How long after did you hear back for acceptance?

Interviewing on the 15th! I got an interview back in September for this spring semester. I heard you hear back within a few days? Is that true or is it after a month? Also how do you love Columbia? It seems like a great city and University? If you could share that would be awesome! Super hype and is there anything I should keep in mind while interviewing?!
It took a week for me to hear back about my hold status. No idea for acceptance.

I'm OOS but no ties to USC or SC, but have an interview next week. What are my chances ?

So does everyone get the "your application is highly rated by the Admissions Committee" wording in their hold letters?

So does everyone get the "your application is highly rated by the Admissions Committee" wording in their hold letters?
I think so. That's what mine said, and I think someone else earlier in the thread said that's what their letter read too.

Anybody hear of any updates about the waitlist or anything similar recently?

Didn't get a hold letter, but got "The committee enjoyed you very much, you are not on hold or on the waitlist, we will continue to actively look at you until the end of March" (Interview Feb. 15)

I interviewed back in January, then received a hold letter that said, "highly rated by the Admissions Committee" as someone mentioned above. Got the email today to call Dr. Thornhill and was accepted! He said they are now starting to review applications again.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed back in January, then received a hold letter that said, "highly rated by the Admissions Committee" as someone mentioned above. Got the email today to call Dr. Thornhill and was accepted! He said they are now starting to review applications again.
That's awesome! Congratulations!

That's awesome! Congrats!!

Congrats! Do you mind letting us know your stats?

I got the "highly rated" wording too. I figured it is something sent to everyone.

I did get a personal letter in the mail from one of the interviewers with some incredibly nice words for me but perhaps that is regular as well?

I just hope I get accepted because being on hold for all three SC schools now has me worried.

I got the "highly rated" wording too. I figured it is something sent to everyone.

I did get a personal letter in the mail from one of the interviewers with some incredibly nice words for me but perhaps that is regular as well?

I just hope I get accepted because being on hold for all three SC schools now has me worried.
Same! I'm just hoping for a wait list spot from one of the three at this point.

I dont think its same for everyone. My hold letter did not say "highly rated" and I didnt get a personal letter from my interviewer either which makes me wonder if those letters are only sent to the "highly rated" ppl.

I dont think its same for everyone. My hold letter did not say "highly rated" and I didnt get a personal letter from my interviewer either which makes me wonder if those letters are only sent to the "highly rated" ppl.
I don't recall if my letter said "highly rated" this year, but I don't think it did. I know it didn't last year and I was wait listed. I did, however, receive a letter from one of my interviewers both years. I don't think the letters mean anything... I think they suggest sending letters and some of the interviewers do and some don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully some hold folks may hear back soon if one of the above statements is true about beginning to review everyone again.

Last edited:
I don't recall if my letter said "highly rated" this year, but I don't think it did. I know it didn't last year and I was wait listed. I did, however, receive a letter from one of my interviewers both years. I don't think the letters mean anything... I think they suggest sending letters and some of the interviewers do and some don't.

I can't imagine that it's all that common to receive one even among the ones that do send them. They interview hundreds of people. If they do that's especially kind of them.

Hopefully some hold folks may hear back soon if one of the above statements is true about beginning to review everyone again.

I truly hope so. Perhaps I'm not in the worst situation by being on hold for all three. At the very least I'll get a wait-list and have a chance for dropped seats.

I truly hope so. Perhaps I'm not in the worst situation by being on hold for all three. At the very least I'll get a wait-list and have a chance for dropped seats.

That's exactly how I feel. Praying for at least one wait list at this point in hopes of it turning into something.

Mine also read "highly rated" and I too received a letter from one of my interviewers, but like some of you all, I assumed the letters were moreso an indicator of my interviewer's habits than a reflection on my candidacy. I felt pretty good after the "highly rated" verbiage and the handwritten note, however, I'm still just out here waiting for the nicest letter of all.

Interviewed mid-October, btw.

For those who interviewed recently (this past wed if they are still conducting, or within the last few weeks), did they mention anything about time lines regarding waitlist notifications, etc?

For those who interviewed recently (this past wed if they are still conducting, or within the last few weeks), did they mention anything about time lines regarding waitlist notifications, etc?
they told this of us who interviewed this Wednesday that we're supposed to hear something "by the end of the week" - even if that's telling us they're going to consider us for a longer amount of time.

They said that they are going to let us know about the waitlist status by the beginning of the April.

More than likely WL will be coming after March.

If they're going to reject you before a WL it's going to happen before April.

I got one from the Charleston area telling me that my student loan assistance opportunity was expiring at the end of the week...
I don't have any student loans right now...