2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard about the wait list?? It should be soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Hope everybody finds something out soon. I just received an email from Dr. Thornhill asking to call him. Now I have to weigh USC vs MUSC, but I am thinking USC may win on this due to logistical reasons (house, family, wife with job, etc). Both are great schools! Either way, a spot will be opening somewhere between USC and MUSC for somebody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about the wait list?? It should be soon!
I would imagine very soon. When I spoke with Dr. Thornhill, he advised me that they were wrapped up with interviews and going over all applications again.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted as well!!!! Third year trying!! To all of you still waiting anxiously all I got to say that you will get there! Persistence and preserverance is crucial. Good luck to all! Cheers!

Reactions: 5 users
Those of you who got in today, when did y'all interview?

Those of you accepted today, are you guys all IS?

Interviewed Jan 18th I think, IS, got on hold letter a few weeks later then accepted today.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that I haven't gotten an e-mail yet is really concerning me.

What time did you guys that got accepted today get an email at? Trying to gauge if there's still a chance at getting an email today or if they were all sent at one time

What time did you guys that got accepted today get an email at? Trying to gauge if there's still a chance at getting an email today or if they were all sent at one time
I'm pretty sure they call with acceptances. So I'm imagining they just go down the list of people and call one by one. That's just my perception of it though.

No call by now makes me think I'm either wait-listed or didn't get in.

Did all those who were accepted yesterday have the words "highly rated" in their hold letter?

Did all those who were accepted yesterday have the words "highly rated" in their hold letter?
I had it in mine. I was under the impression is was a canned letter with everybody receiving the same thing. Not sure of the validity of this however. I am IS as well.

I had it in mine. I was under the impression is was a canned letter with everybody receiving the same thing. Not sure of the validity of this however. I am IS as well.

Mine said this as well but still no word.

When can we expect to hear about the waitlist? It will be April tomorrow so it seems due

If anybody is on the MUSC IS waitlist, I have decided to withdraw my seat. Good luck to all!

Does anyone remember if you have to dress up everyday for class at USC Columbia? I remember there was one in state school where you did not but I couldn't remember which one!

Does anyone remember if you have to dress up everyday for class at USC Columbia? I remember there was one in state school where you did not but I couldn't remember which one!
I'm not sure, but I don't believe it is this one. When we interviewed and did the ultrasound tour, there were many students wearing regular clothes (unless they changed after class).

Ok and I know it is at MUSC so Columbia must be the one that doesn't have it!
Didn't know about musc either. Our tour guides were in plain clothes but again they were not in class. Not that it is a deal breaker by any means.

Ok and I know it is at MUSC so Columbia must be the one that doesn't have it!
Yes, MUSC does have a dress code however you do not have to dress up in business casual or whatnot. It is more or less using common sense and don't look like a rag bag. It is on their site.

Really starting to sweat about not getting an email.....are they done sending out acceptances & only doing wait list now?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really starting to sweat about not getting an email.....are they done sending out acceptances & only doing wait list now?

Yeah. There shouldn't be any more straight acceptances. You'll have to get in through the wait list. All 100 positions have been offered and accepted according to the wait list mail. Now every position available will be because someone has dropped their spot in favor of another school.

Yeah. There shouldn't be any more straight acceptances. You'll have to get in through the wait list. All 100 positions have been offered and accepted according to the wait list mail. Now every position available will be because someone has dropped their spot in favor of another school.

Bit of a bummer but thanks for the info!

Top 3rd of IS seems to be when not if, Middle 3rd is maybe, Bottom 3rd good luck-going by previous years. I'll be emailing Shelley tomorrow to find out where I sit

Last edited:
Bit of a bummer but thanks for the info!

Tell me about it. But according to last year's thread, you can contact them and they'll tell you where you fall in the wait list. I'm not quite as optimistic as skeedalisk, but top third would be some mighty good news. They didn't reply to me today though.

Top 3rd of IS seems to be when not if, Middle 3rd is maybe, Bottom 3rd good luck-going by previous years. I'll be emailing Shelley tomorrow to find out where I sit

Does this mean there are multiple waitlists for IS and OOS? She did not specify for me, but I am OOS

Does this mean there are multiple waitlists for IS and OOS? She did not specify for me, but I am OOS
Past threads have said there are 2 wait lists. IS and OOS. It makes sense because they always accept around the same proportion year to year, but nobody, or at least, none of the schools I've applied to, release their waitlist statistics, so it's hard to be sure.

I'm apparently in the middle third of the waitlist. According to the MSAR, the waitlist has 50-75 people on it (that number could be a combination of the IS and OOS list?), but there is no info on how many they accept.

Reactions: 1 users