2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted! Wish that the 75 word prompts would have been 250 words. And that's coming from someone who usually prefers shorter prompts......
seriously!

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted! Wish that the 75 word prompts would have been 250 words. And that's coming from someone who usually prefers shorter prompts......
+1
I feel like 75 words isn't enough to say anything meaningful

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what time last year they started handing out interviews?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For the prompt about teamwork, does it have to be only one paragraph as it states, or does that mean just a short 250 word essay?

My LOR are still marked as incomplete...Should I send them an email or wait a few more days? I submitted my secondary two days ago...

My LOR are still marked as incomplete...Should I send them an email or wait a few more days? I submitted my secondary two days ago...
No, I submitted the same and just received an email this morning confirming LORs and that my application was forwarded to Admissions. Give it some time. Will probably hear today or tomorrow

No, I submitted the same and just received an email this morning confirming LORs and that my application was forwarded to Admissions. Give it some time. Will probably hear today or tomorrow
Yup just got the email myself :)

Is it okay if I say I'm interested in their accelerated programs for the "why Penn State" essay prompt, even though it only accepts a few people?

Last edited:
For those of you interested in the regional campus, the secondary says 'please see attached document for more information.' Does anyone know where to find this attachment? I can't seem to find it in the secondary, and their website doesn't have much information about the campus either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you interested in the regional campus, the secondary says 'please see attached document for more information.' Does anyone know where to find this attachment? I can't seem to find it in the secondary, and their website doesn't have much information about the campus either.

I think they're just talking about the other tab that has more info on the campus. There's also a bunch of stuff on their website.

Just got my first II of the season! :happy:

Secondary app sent 7/26 (received 7/22)
ORM, IS, 521, 3.77

Reactions: 1 users
How did you guys go about the "complex system" essay without it sounding too much like the "teamwork" essay?

How did you guys go about the "complex system" essay without it sounding too much like the "teamwork" essay?

I didn't discuss a team issue on that one. I talked more of a personal challenge so it ended up sounding a little different.

I talked about starting a new job and how I had to navigate my way through different challenges that all related to becoming successful at that job.

I talked about starting a new job and how I had to navigate my way through different challenges that all related to becoming successful at that job.
I didn't discuss a team issue on that one. I talked more of a personal challenge so it ended up sounding a little different.

Ah ok thanks guys! I'll brainstorm on this one

Just submitted + complete! :) Congrats to all those who have II! Some of you got a decision so quickly!

Anyone know if they do silent rejections /holds or as they review?

II!!! So excited! Complete 7/26!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they do the student host stay program/ what are the most cost efficient hotels/motels that aren't gross lol? Thanks!!

Does anyone know if they do the student host stay program/ what are the most cost efficient hotels/motels that aren't gross lol? Thanks!!

They do have a student hosting program

Last edited:
They do have a student hosting program! I highly recommend it - the students were super helpful and you get to see student housing

Awesome! Any chance you know where I can find the link or something on that? I can't seem to find any information.

Awesome! Any chance you know where I can find the link or something on that? I can't seem to find any information.

I think I remember it being in the interview tab? Just checked my old emails, and they contacted me after I filled out their form on that tab. Wouldn't hurt to ask admissions I guess?

I'm OOS. I wonder when they started to issue OOS interviews?

i'm having some trouble understanding this question: "Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?"

can i write about my extensive research experience and how it helped my decision to apply to med schools

i'm having some trouble understanding this question: "Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?"

can i write about my extensive research experience and how it helped my decision to apply to med schools

I think it's more of an extenuating circumstance. A lot of people do research so I wouldn't consider that unique.

Hey guys! Here's your chance to ask an MS1 anything! We're about a month into school (~2 weeks of orientation/introduction classes and ~2 weeks actual classes). I'm super happy I ended up choosing to go here. It's a great school, with a great vibe and lots of opportunities for just about anything.

I'm open to discuss anything. I'm OOS, got in off the waitlist and used to live in an urban setting, so I can comment on those transitions too.

Feel free to reply to this or PM me and I'll get back as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Here's your chance to ask an MS1 anything! We're about a month into school (~2 weeks of orientation/introduction classes and ~2 weeks actual classes). I'm super happy I ended up choosing to go here. It's a great school, with a great vibe and lots of opportunities for just about anything.

I'm open to discuss anything. I'm OOS, got in off the waitlist and used to live in an urban setting, so I can comment on those transitions too.

How many of your classmates are OOS? Any people from the West Coast? I really like this school and hope I'm not at a huge disadvantage.

Last edited:
How much of your classmates are OOS? Any people from the West Coast? I really like this school and hope I'm not at a huge disadvantage.

It operates as a private school, so you still have a pretty good chance. Almost half and half are IS/OOS. I think there are at least 10 from California, a couple from Utah/Idaho, lots from NY and NJ. Also they just changed tuition starting this year so IS and OOS pay the exact same.

It operates as a private school, so you still have a pretty good chance. Almost half and half are IS/OOS. I think there are at least 10 from California, a couple from Utah/Idaho, lots from NY and NJ. Also they just changed tuition starting this year so IS and OOS pay the exact same.
But looks like all the IIs gone out so far are IS. OOS invites might follow later in the cycle.

But looks like all the IIs gone out so far are IS. OOS invites might follow later in the cycle.

Probably. I think like 30-40 of our class are Penn state Undergrads. I didn't interview until January, and I know others who interviewed even later and still got in. Your time will come :)

!!!! II this afternoon! just checked my email!

If I've already taken the MCAT and do not plan on taking it again this cycle, what should I answer for the "Test Scores" question?

If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?

NO, begin processing my application immediately
YES, wait for my future MCAT scores
I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application

If I've already taken the MCAT and do not plan on taking it again this cycle, what should I answer for the "Test Scores" question?

If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?

NO, begin processing my application immediately
YES, wait for my future MCAT scores
I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application
Select the third option

does anyone know how strict PSU is on the letter writer requirements (e.g. science, non-science faculty)?

It seems like II are being sent to IS students first?

Would you be able to comment on the interview day? Do adcoms use MMI or are they more traditional? The time slot for the interview is 2 hours..I cannot imagine talking about myself and my aspirations for that long.

Would you be able to comment on the interview day? Do adcoms use MMI or are they more traditional? The time slot for the interview is 2 hours..I cannot imagine talking about myself and my aspirations for that long.

Interview day was really really laid back. They had a tour of the medical center/school, a presentation, lunch with students and 2 interviews. I believe both the interviews were closed file (not 100% sure on this though). Interviews were like 95% conversational. There were very few structured questions and it was more of a back and forth get to know you. One we talked a ton about our research and the other I think we barely said anything about my application. I think they just want to give you the chance to explain who you are. I would know answers to the standard questions.. (why do you want to do medicine, why penn state, blah blah) and then know your application and experiences really well so you can give them a great idea of who you are as a person.