2016-2017 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just emailed to withdraw my place on the hold list today. Good luck guys!
Thanks! Would others who are on the hold list and have no intention of attending please withdraw as well? It's easy to forget to do this, but I'm sure many of us on hold would appreciate this since it may speed up the waitlist movement. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
It seems like a lot of people on SDN have withdrawn but I haven't seen anyone getting accepted off the forum. I hate waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
sadly withdrew my application today after a good offer at another university. I hope that spot goes to one of you! good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have a question that has probably already been asked but I'm curious and can't find the info anywhere!

First is the "committee hold" list the same thing as the waitlist?

Second, on MSAR, it says that penn state typically has 10-25 people o the waitlist, then it says that they give 25 acceptance offers from that waitlist.

Does this mean in the past 100% of those on the waitlist eventually get in?

Hey guys I have a question that has probably already been asked but I'm curious and can't find the info anywhere!

First is the "committee hold" list the same thing as the waitlist?

Second, on MSAR, it says that penn state typically has 10-25 people o the waitlist, then it says that they give 25 acceptance offers from that waitlist.

Does this mean in the past 100% of those on the waitlist eventually get in?

The 10-25 is prob a mistake, there's a lot more on the waitlist. And yes hold=waitlist

The 10-25 is prob a mistake, there's a lot more on the waitlist. And yes hold=waitlist

That makes more sense. 10-25 is probably the number of people that get off the waitlist while the number one the waitlist is probably closer to 200.

200 is a lot :(:(:(:(
essentially this school doesn't give any post-ii rejections, so besides acceptances, all were on hold. So there were 3 interview days per week and about 15 interviewees per day. The interview ran from sept to late march. I can see that number should be a lot more than 200. If they give out 300 acceptances, so abt 600 are on hold now I guess :dead:

essentially this school doesn't give any post-ii rejections, so besides acceptances, all were on hold. So there were 3 interview days per week and about 15 interviewees per day. The interview ran from sept to late march. I can see that number should be a lot more than 200. If they give out 300 acceptances, so abt 600 are on hold now I guess :dead:

I imagine they would have to accept 450 for a class of 150

Reactions: 1 user
Decided to give up my coveted still on "committee hold" spot today. Hope a SDNer gets it.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet?

Someone posted on the accepted students page that they were just accepted yesterday. Idk if that info helps those of you waiting. Best of luck and hope to see you guys at Penn State soon! :)

So as of right now, only one person (that we know of) has been accepted off the waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
Friend of mine got off the waitlist!! Also the group size has increased somewhat so I'd say 10-15 came off already. SDN just seems to have a small representation.

So I have a question for admitted students about financial Aid; if you decide to withhold parental info because in your mind they make too much (~150K together), are you ineligible for need-based? Also is 150K really so much that one might worry about not getting need-based?

So I have a question for admitted students about financial Aid; if you decide to withhold parental info because in your mind they make too much (~150K together), are you ineligible for need-based? Also is 150K really so much that one might worry about not getting need-based?

I definitely would call the financial aid office. Not questioning the intelligence of people who may give you a response, but this is something that could potentially have a huge impact on the financial aid that may potentially be awarded.

Friend of mine got off the waitlist!! Also the group size has increased somewhat so I'd say 10-15 came off already. SDN just seems to have a small representation.

As mentioned, I would call the financial aid office. But from what I understand, you are not eligible for financial aid/loan without that info. But as mentioned, call the financial aid info to be sure.

Hey everyone,

I am trying to sign up for health insurance offered through aetna student health. However, the only plan option that is available for me to sign up for is the16/17 Vital Savings on Dental option. Is this actually our medical insurance as well? Please advise.

Hey everyone,

I am trying to sign up for health insurance offered through aetna student health. However, the only plan option that is available for me to sign up for is the16/17 Vital Savings on Dental option. Is this actually our medical insurance as well? Please advise.

Wasn't this exact question asked on the Facebook page? I would call student health and ask them, I'm sure they are very knowledgeable on the healthcare options. I do know that they are switching the healthcare for students starting this year so getting in touch with the student health department would be your best option.

Withdrew my acceptance due to offer at dream school. Hope that helps one of you here.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know where we send in our official transcript? Do we need to attach a cover sheet and to what address?

Does anyone know where we send in our official transcript? Do we need to attach a cover sheet and to what address?

I just sent mine online. Does your school not offer that option? Also, no cover sheet is needed.

I just sent mine online. Does your school not offer that option? Also, no cover sheet is needed.

Did you send it to AMCAS? Or directly to Penn State? Because my school does offer the option, but I need an address that they will accept transcripts at.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

EDIT: Got it figured out.

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance today for another school. Hope someone gets my spot! Good luck everyone!

Deciding when I should completely lose faith in receiving a spot from the WL here...

I emailed about this and they told me to send transcripts to this address.

Office of Admissions
Division of Medical Student Affairs, H060
Penn State College of Medicine
500 University Drive, P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033
Tel: (717) 531-8755
Fax: (717) 531-6225

Is there any hope that more students will be taken off the waitlist?
Any students with access to the FB group know roughly how many people have already been taken off the waitlist? (or incoming students after May 1st?)

Any students with access to the FB group know roughly how many people have already been taken off the waitlist? (or incoming students after May 1st?)

Only 1 person has posted since traffic day saying they got accepted that I can remember, but I haven't kept track of new members joining.

Matriculating students: anyone else still having trouble opening the student orientation survey link?

Matriculating students: anyone else still having trouble opening the student orientation survey link?

If you to the application portal the accepted students survey is one of the tabs.

Currently looking for potential room mates for off-campus housing. Let me know if any if you guys are interested

Could someone from the Facebook group tell us how many members there are in the group? It might help give some idea of how many open seats there are in the class

Could someone from the Facebook group tell us how many members there are in the group? It might help give some idea of how many open seats there are in the class

There are about 246 members in the group... including current students giving advice, graduating students selling stuff, and residents looking for housing.
So no way to tell based on facebook