2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So it's fair to say our chances are dashed at this point, or do you think acceptance calls will still continue tomorrow morning?

Members don't see this ad.

couldn't help but check back in, seems like there weren't many calls at all today. Wish they'd just swing the axe now...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
couldn't help but check back in, seems like there weren't many calls at all today. Wish they'd just swing the axe now...haha

Yeah leaves me with a little obviously false hope that a few callers never found time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lesson to be learnt here. Good numbers don't guarantee anything. I have a LizzyM of 74, with strong clinical experience and decent research, and completely bombed this cycle. 1 interview invite (at NYU), and it looks highly probably like zero acceptances. C'est la vie. I'm going to drink all my sorrows away the next two days.

Why the hell is this? I just don't get it.....I feel like things should be a little more objective in the selection process. Anymore, it seems like race/gender etc. play a larger role than anything. I mean, look at the URM kids on SDN. Have more interviews than anyone haha

RT so true, it's pretty unfair imo. And the "problem" with having higher stats is that mid to lower tier schools don't even invite you to interviews since they don't think you'll attend. So I really don't understand the whole "apply broadly" concept

Doesn't help being an ORM either

Reactions: 1 user
Why the hell is this? I just don't get it.....I feel like things should be a little more objective in the selection process. Anymore, it seems like race/gender etc. play a larger role than anything. I mean, look at the URM kids on SDN. Have more interviews than anyone haha

If you're implying that good numbers and research is an objective standard for assessing how good a doctor one will be, then I don't think you understand how medicine works.

No offense to the person you're quoting at all, I'm not at all passing judgment on their app, but your statement itself is problematic.

Reactions: 15 users
If you're implying that good numbers and research is an objective standard for assessing how good a doctor one will be, then I don't think you understand how medicine works.

No offense to the person you're quoting at all, I'm not at all passing judgment on their app, but your statement itself is problematic.

Let's face it- there's lots of factors that go into admissions decisions. And different schools value different attributes. It's not always going to be fair to everyone, unfortunately.

RT so true, it's pretty unfair imo. And the "problem" with having higher stats is that mid to lower tier schools don't even invite you to interviews since they don't think you'll attend. So I really don't understand the whole "apply broadly" concept

Doesn't help being an ORM either

Really don't like either of these comments. There is a reason URM applicants are viewed with a slightly different lens. I echo your frustration about not getting the results we want, but do not look for others to blame. Hopefully this doesn't warrant further explanation and you both will understand the err of your comments...

Reactions: 13 users
Let's face it- there's lots of factors that go into admissions decisions. And different schools value different attributes. It's not always going to be fair to everyone, unfortunately.

It's the concept of fair that's being thrown around here problematically. Yes, medical schools look for different attributes that are valued by their particular institution, because they think those attributes will lead to becoming a successful physician. That's not unfair. Blaming URMs because lots of people with high stats only get a few interviews and don't do well in person is ridiculous and immature.

Reactions: 9 users
Really don't like either of these comments. There is a reason URM applicants are viewed with a slightly different lens. I echo your frustration about not getting the results we want, but do not look for others to blame. Hopefully this doesn't warrant further explanation and you both will understand the err of your comments...

I never said anything about URMs and ORMs. Those two did. My woes stem from the fact that I had the numbers, volunteering, clinical exposure and research to at least warrant further consideration. Nothing to do with demographics here. Plus, the fact is that I only even got ONE interview, so you can't blame my in-person traits for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I think most applicants underestimate is how important the personal statement, secondary essays, and your description of your activities in the primary app are. That is what ultimately gets you an interview having well written, interesting, and unique essays that at the same time show humility and personality. Maybe URM candidates don't rely on stats and "objective" check marked activities(research, clinical,etc) as others do.
Also if you look at the demographics for each school, URMs don't make up a lot of the class population. In fact for most schools it's only a handful. Although NYU is known for having more than other schools. But it's as if you think they are letting URMs in by the boatload.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I never said anything about URMs and ORMs. Those two did. My woes stem from the fact that I had the numbers, volunteering, clinical exposure and research to at least warrant further consideration. Nothing to do with demographics here.

I was talking to linsanity and TRPminus, not you

I never said anything about URMs and ORMs. Those two did. My woes stem from the fact that I had the numbers, volunteering, clinical exposure and research to at least warrant further consideration. Nothing to do with demographics here.

Don't think billbillbillbill quoted you or was referring to your comment..

I was talking to linsanity and TRPminus, not you

Okay, my bad. Sorry, just a bit demoralized atm.

I sure hope you don't have to deal with any of those URMs in a diverse setting like maybe New York...? This attitude might explain your luck this cycle.

Reactions: 15 users

Fair enough; I'll retract my comments, not trying to place blame anywhere but myself haha. This process is humbling to say the least, didn't mean to offend anyone!

lol I'm URM with 519 MCAT and great ECs and I didn't get in either, that's not it trust me

Reactions: 14 users

I'm glad you as a person feel that way, but it's scientific fact that a more diverse health care work force improves patient outcomes.

And no school lets in somebody that is underqualified. That's not a thing that happens.

Reactions: 7 users
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. There is no reason URM applicants should be viewed with any type of different lens (in my personal opinion). I very much understand that the medical community is trying to equalize the playing field in terms of race etc, and that SOME URM applicants may come from a disadvantaged background. However, this whole URM applicant bias is ludicrous. Doctors are doctors. I don't care if I go to a white, black, hispanic, Indian, blue, yellow, or purple doctor. As long as they're trained well and have fought hard to be where they are, I'm cool with it; it's a privilege to be a doctor. The fact that medical schools allow in any type of under qualified applicant due to race blows my mind. This is my personal opinion, and I'm sure you disagree. However, they were not wrong in posting their comments, and I don't see any "err" in their comments whatsoever.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
That is 100% a thing that happens. I know people that its happened to. They're my friends, they're under qualified, they've gotten in because they use the race card (some of them are halfies and chose to use the one race for that reason).

What exactly is underqualified by your standard? Sub 515 MCAT? Numbers lower than yours? Obviously, admissions committees found something favorable about their application. Believing it was just their race or ethnicity alone is either stupidity, immaturity, or a coping mechanism. Pick your favorite(s).

Reactions: 7 users

Luckily the American Psychological Association disagrees with your false equivalence, "we all bleed red", fallacy, Darkkprince.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. There is no reason URM applicants should be viewed with any type of different lens (in my personal opinion). I very much understand that the medical community is trying to equalize the playing field in terms of race etc, and that SOME URM applicants may come from a disadvantaged background. However, this whole URM applicant bias is ludicrous. Doctors are doctors. I don't care if I go to a white, black, hispanic, Indian, blue, yellow, or purple doctor. As long as they're trained well and have fought hard to be where they are, I'm cool with it; it's a privilege to be a doctor. The fact that medical schools allow in any type of under qualified applicant due to race blows my mind. This is my personal opinion, and I'm sure you disagree. However, they were not wrong in posting their comments, and I don't see any "err" in their comments whatsoever.

I've worked with immigrants who feel insecure seeing doctors that don't share their experiences/language/culture etc and may not see white doctors due to a fear of being marginalized. Medicine is about the patients, not any of us who aspire to be doctors..

Also please let's try and keep this conversation pertaining to NYU specifically. There are other places on SDN to have those discussions. Specifically maybe we can laugh about how hilariously unfortunate NYU has been at releasing decisions this cycle. If any admins are looking at this site I implore you that if you want to be a non-rolling school - release ALL CALLS AND EMAILS ON THE SAME DAY FOR GOD'S SAKE

Thx

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
You can imagine my chagrin for actually being a URM (black African) with a 3.9 cGPA and sGPA, a 516 MCAT (95th percentile), substantial clinical exposure, decent research, and essays good enough to get a top-15 interview. Problem is that I only got the 1 interview out of 18 schools. Don't know what more to do. It's a real confidence zap for me.

Reactions: 9 users
Lol kid, I've already gotten into plenty of schools. Please, save the insults for someone who cares. By under qualified, I mean GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, research, and life experience.

Not an insult, merely an observation about sentiments in general. There's a reason you are not an adcom member; you don't have all of the information about what that medical school saw in those people or how they were looking to fill their class. Pretending like you do is arrogant.

:whoa:

Reactions: 5 users
You can imagine my chagrin for actually being a URM (black African) with a 3.9 cGPA and sGPA, a 516 MCAT (95th percentile), substantial clinical exposure, decent research, and essays good enough to get a top-15 interview. Problem is that I only got the 1 interview out of 18 schools. Don't know what more to do. It's a real confidence zap for me.

Seriously guys, what more can I do? I'm on track to graduate summa cum laude, have a good MCAT score, all the qualifications....my essay feigned interest from ONE elite med school, but yet I STILL can't even get an interview from anywhere else...

[/QUOTE]
You are drastically underestimating the impact minority students have on the health on minority populations via empathy, comfort, and communication. I suggest you read up on studies detailing how physicians of the same race/ethnicity/speaking same language as their patients advocate for their patients and the communities they represent.

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously guys, what more can I do? I'm on track to graduate summa cum laude, have a good MCAT score, all the qualifications....my essay feigned interest from ONE elite med school, but yet I STILL can't even get an interview from anywhere else...

I'd recommend starting a new thread on the pre-med allo forum. You'll probably get more attention/help on a dedicated thread.

I can't complain bc I have been accepted this cycle, but I have interviewed at multiple "top" schools and not heard anything and I really thought NYU would be it. I'm so so heartbroken and sad

misery loves company :D glad to know I'm not alone ahaha

I feel you fam, I'm bummed that more of my interviews aren't turning into acceptances. I'm just wondering what would represent a discrepancy between my app on paper (great apparently, with a lot of IIs) and my interviewing. I've never really been socially awkward or nervous in the interview setting and get along with people well, have even been told by people that I interview well, so I'm just not sure why I haven't seen much from most of the schools I've interviewed at. I mean heck, I got a II from Pritzker within a week of submitting the secondary and then got continued on both decision dates and will in all likelihood be waitlisted. Now I'm worried about my interview skills and I'm worried that whatever "it" was that caused it will hurt me in matching down the road haha

I guess mostly just neurosis and in the end I got in somewhere, but I wouldn't be myself without something to worry about.

I know we all have a lot of frustration, whether from NYU or other schools this cycle, but let's stay civil. The process seems to make no sense sometimes. I've been accepted to schools I thought I had no chance at and rejected from schoola I thought I was a great match. Ultimately we all have little quirks and each adcom does as well, and we will all end up at the place that fits best. I know some people may not get accepted anywhere this year but if you got an interview to NYU then I know that you can take the 400 hours you spent last spring or whenever studying for your mcat that you did well on and instead focus on aamcas or whatever, and next year you surely will be able to get in at the best school for you. This cycle is so frustrating at one time or anotyer for all of us, but if you had enough persistence to get an interview to NYU then you have enough to be in med school, whether 6 or 18 months from now doesn't make too big of a difference in the long run.
Good luck everyone, take a walk outside tomorrow and remember that someday 4 or 5 or 6 years from now you will be a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
Put me outta my misery, NYU...

Hurts to get waitlisted at two Manhattan schools that were my top choices for the past 5 years :(

Accepted via email this morning! Quite a surprise since I didn't receive a phone call

There is still hope :)

Reactions: 5 users
Got my acceptance email today + portal change

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know, based on previous years, what the waitlist movement at this school is like?