2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update - fake twitter came through with another tweet. Thank you to whoever you are!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
NYU's recent surge in prestige

an honest question for you all - I recognize that NYU has jumped from like 34 to 11 in the USNWR research rankings (considering this was a huge focus on my interview day), but do you think that that's really a reflection of the improved quality of the medical school and/or prestige? I ask because I struggle to reconcile the jump with what I've heard from some current program directors who place NYU *firmly* below schools like Cornell, UChicago, Michigan etc. with regard to "prestige" when I ask them about NYU's rise in that ranking and their opinions about it.

don't get me wrong I think NYU is amazing and I'd be honored to go but I'm not necessarily sure that it's surged in prestige to anyone other than premeds. but it's certainly a school on the up

EDIT: I just want to also note that I think prestige is a bull**** metric to consider a med school on lol

Members don't see this ad :)
an honest question for you all - I recognize that NYU has jumped from like 34 to 11 in the USNWR research rankings (considering this was a huge focus on my interview day), but do you think that that's really a reflection of the improved quality of the medical school and/or prestige? I ask because I struggle to reconcile the jump with what I've heard from some current program directors who place NYU *firmly* below schools like Cornell, UChicago, Michigan etc. with regard to "prestige" when I ask them about NYU's rise in that ranking and their opinions about it.

don't get me wrong I think NYU is amazing and I'd be honored to go but I'm not necessarily sure that it's surged in prestige to anyone other than premeds. but it's certainly a school on the up

EDIT: I just want to also note that I think prestige is a bull**** metric to consider a med school on lol
at my interview day the presenter literally said "dont think the rise in rankings means anything except that nyu gained some ground on extremely subjective measures"

No, I agree with you. In terms of "prestige" to a lay person, NYU definitely falls below those schools. The person giving the presentation for my interview specifically said that this jump doesn't really reflect improvement as it does other factors, and brushed it off.

No, I agree with you. In terms of "prestige" to a lay person, NYU definitely falls below those schools. The person giving the presentation for my interview specifically said that this jump doesn't really reflect improvement as it does other factors, and brushed it off.
we must;ve had the same presenter lol

He said he doesn't know if all calls are done but doubts that they are.

So....

THERE IS HOPE

Basically he said he doubts all calls are done as individual faculty are making them in line with what works with their schedules

And also indicated it's possible you can get accepted without phone call...he said regardless of whether they call everyone, decisions are tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah come on I was finally okay with not getting a call lol

Reactions: 4 users
gonna call it at 5pm, then get on with my life lol

Reactions: 6 users
@fake twitter god

wanna ask the Dean when the e-mail decisions will be released tomorrow?

Well I know NYU is over for me but I won't be content until I know the outcome, most likely a rejection tomorrow. There are just so many amazing applicants. I'm sure all of you are deserving of getting in.

We might go down tomorrow. But we are going down in flames and fireworks and....honestly idk where i'm going with this and i think this whole thing has made me sorta delusional

NYU was my one and only shot this cycle (late applicant- LizzyM 74). So I'm already planning for next cycle. If it's any consolation, many of you have already been accepted, and will be in medical school later this year. That's more than can be said for me. It's been a rough month, but glad to have borne it out with you guys. All of us still have a shot for the next 24 hours. Whatever happens, I wish you guys all the best!

Reactions: 6 users
NYU was my one and only shot this cycle (late applicant- LizzyM 74). So I'm already planning for next cycle. If it's any consolation, many of you have already been accepted, and will be in medical school later this year. That's more than can be said for me. It's been a rough month, but glad to have borne it out with you guys. All of us still have a shot for the next 24 hours. Whatever happens, I wish you guys all the best!

Same LizzyM and not in med school yet either sigh. Good luck to all of us!

upload_2017-1-26_16-51-17.png

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I think it's over at this point. Disappointed, but that's life. Congrats to all that got accepted and best of luck to everyone!

That was me last year. U-MN and NYU were my only interviews out of 20+ applications (and I didn't even apply late...). I was on this thread crestfallen at my only chance for acceptance never coming.

I re-honed my application and applied MD-PhD this year. I always wanted to apply MD-PhD but thought I wasn't competitive enough - I received some good advice that MD-PhD applicants are in no way more competitive than MD, simply a different subset of people with different career goals - seems obvious to me now, but at the time it was a sobering bit of advice.

I have since been accepted to Vanderbilt MSTP, Northwestern MSTP, and Case Western MSTP, and waiting on others.

I am not telling you this to convince you to apply to a dual degree program or anything - I am simply saying that it gets better and to keep at it. And don't be afraid to take a new look at yourself and your application.

if emails tomorrow aren't sent by noon im just gonna lose it

Just got an II from a different school. I think this is God's way of distracting me from the imminent NYU waitlist.

Accepted today. Interviewed November.

Reactions: 5 users
FML this cycle is so frustrating.....520+ MCAT and only three interviews (one is my state school).....sgpa 3.45 cgpa 3.6. Dartmouth you better come thru for me........

520+ MCAT as well and a decent number of interviews but haven't been able to get in anywhere yet cause apparently I suck at interviewing hah. :(

F*** it I'm going out to get a drink, cortisol levels at an all time high today

I can't complain bc I have been accepted this cycle, but I have interviewed at multiple "top" schools and not heard anything and I really thought NYU would be it. I'm so so heartbroken and sad

Do you think everyone Accepted has been called or will they not call and simply email some accepted students tomorrow?

Haha this is me exactly :(

wait I just creeped your MD apps and 1) my home state's also Michigan! went to school out of state though 2) I also interviewed and was rejected by Case lmao....that one hurt, not gonna lie 3) Did you also not get an interview from Michigan either??? I know no one's guaranteed anything of course but tbh I was kinda surprised...since there is that in state advantage.

I was pretty sure that I was not going to get accepted here...

but that didn't make not receiving a call hurt any less.

I offer my sincerest and deepest congratulations to those of you who have been accepted. You really are all-stars and I am confident that you will go on to make incredible doctors.

wait I just creeped your MD apps and 1) my home state's also Michigan! went to school out of state though 2) I also interviewed and was rejected by Case lmao....that one hurt, not gonna lie 3) Did you also not get an interview from Michigan either??? I know no one's guaranteed anything of course but tbh I was kinda surprised...since there is that in state advantage.

Hahaha wow that's a lot of similarities! Yeah I didn't get an interview...in all honesty, I thought I had a decent chance of getting one since I'm an undergrad here and I got a decent number of interviews at other good schools, but I guess that's just how my cycle is going :\

Hahaha wow that's a lot of similarities! Yeah I didn't get an interview...in all honesty, I thought I had a decent chance of getting one since I'm an undergrad here and I got a decent number of interviews at other good schools, but I guess that's just how my cycle is going :\

Yeah I can't imagine many Michigan undergrads have better stats than you do...that's really weird. I remember seeing someone projecting that having a LizzyM of ~71 and being in-state would give you a good shot at getting an interview, clearly not the case for either of us lolol