2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And then you spontaneously combust?

spontaneous combustion sounds like a sweet release right about now how do I do it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
spontaneous combustion sounds like a sweet release right about now how do I do it
Just don't take your pills
C&H.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if faculty were just given lists of people to call, it is very possible they gave out all the calls already right? they dont HAVE to make calls today unless they haven't completed their lists

we shouldn't add to the already unprecedented anxiety we are all currently experiencing --__--
if he tweeted that calls would be made from wed to friday, lets stay optimistic that they will make calls today

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, lets add to the already unprecedented anxiety we are all currently experiencing --__--
if he tweeted that calls would be made from wed to friday, lets stay optimistic that they will make calls today

hey im just trying to avoid false hope...I'd rather accept rejection and be surprised than expect possible acceptance and be disappointed...

Still I feel as though accepting 400 people for 125 spots at a top tier school is kind of high.

Remember that NYU is only recently "top tier" and so their yield may be lower than other schools in that category. At the tippity top, they over-accept by a factor of about 2 from interview to acceptance. So it's not too surprising that NYU would accept about 3 people per seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am gonna call it and move on. Have to go through this torturous cycle again when Columbia releases decisions around Valentine's Day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am gonna call it and move on. Have to go through this torturous cycle again when Columbia releases decisions around Valentine's Day.

I feel you. I have this exact torture again when Duke releases in March. They also do phone calls.

I feel you. I have this exact torture again when Duke releases in March. They also do phone calls.

Hah, you have to wait even longer... Hopefully we all get the calls that've been expected for long.

Yep I've mentally called game.

Hey we fought long and hard. The fact that we all had interviews at a top 20 ranked schools speaks to our abilities and accomplishments. I am confident that everyone here will be in medical school next fall and will become a doctor, and a great one at that. To those accepted, I wish you all the best at a great school. To those not accepted, you will end up in the place that is right for you. We all will. And in a year we will look back and appreciate the journey that led to where we will be. Stay strong it's almost over

Reactions: 16 users
If they're done calling, just send us the email!

I think it's too early to give up hope, everyone hang in there

I honestly wish I could meet some of the people I share these terrible experiences with on SDN lol I feel a weird bond with those suffering the same agony I am suffering

Reactions: 3 users
Same I feel like there will be more calls later in the day when the doctors have more free time. This is probably low priority for them

True but there were so many calls during the day yesterday :/ makes you think

Haha weird that there were a block of acceptances all around 8pm last night; wonder if they were all from the same caller

I honestly wish I could meet some of the people I share these terrible experiences with on SDN lol I feel a weird bond with those suffering the same agony I am suffering
I wish I could get a beer with all you nerds. I could use one right about now. Or ten

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe we will all magically get in and can have a beer in NYC and laugh about how neurotic and stressed we were today

Reactions: 2 users
it's not unheard of for schools that do phone calls to accidentally not have all acceptances called before release date, ive seen it several times. Still not getting my hopes up though

Do you guys think I screwed up by sending them a letter of intent earlier this month? I know its mainly a waitlist thing, but I knew NYU was where I wanted to be regardless of any other options, and I wanted them to know I was very serious about going there. Not sure if that ended up looking bad or not.

I have so much anxiety from reading this forum. Oh well. I hope for the best for everybody!

Do you guys think I screwed up by sending them a letter of intent earlier this month? I know its mainly a waitlist thing, but I knew NYU was where I wanted to be regardless of any other options, and I wanted them to know I was very serious about going there. Not sure if that ended up looking bad or not.
no i dont think so.

True but there were so many calls during the day yesterday :/ makes you think

Haha weird that there were a block of acceptances all around 8pm last night; wonder if they were all from the same caller

8 PM EST or PST or CST?

I did the same thing. Don't trip

Also the song "Say something, I'm giving up on you" just came up on my Pandora and I immediately thought of NYU...

Reactions: 4 users
@faketwitter people can you tweet dean Rivera and ask if they're done congratulating accepted applicants?

Went back to last year's threads to see how many total acceptances were reported on SDN...
2014-2015: 29 acceptances
2015-2016: 20 acceptances

17 so far this year... I don't think this can be the end

Went back to last year's threads to see how many total acceptances were reported on SDN...

16 so far this year... I don't think this can be the end

Dedication is impressive

Reactions: 3 users
I think the difference might be that this year is non-rolling for nyu, so they might have to waitlist more people in case they have over-committment.

But did that include waitlist acceptances that happened after January?

17 so far this year... I don't think this can be the end

Not really a reliable or informative metric tho especially since the difference between those two years is 9 and also considering NYU's recent surge in prestige