2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does George feel about ITA's?
George cares not for most things. He cares only for the blood of his enemies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time posting but just accepted! Dean Mitchell called me up on the phone to give me the news. LM ~72 OOS interviewed 10/6

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II rejection today. Not very surprised. Complete early October.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted Sunday! Interviewed the first week of October.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected yesterday! Complete 9/8, OOS, LizzyM 67. Pre-II, I've been expecting this for a while now. Good luck everyone!

2 questions:

1) Is there parking on campus for interview day?
2) Is there a place to put backpacks/jackets in the actual building?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Choo choo! On the rejection train as well. Complete early October.

Rejected this morning pre-II. Complete mid October

GEORGE IS ON THE HUNT

Reactions: 2 users
GEORGE IS ON THE HUNT
2EBC66BA00000578-0-image-a-20_1448363433725.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Axe-Murderer.jpg

Georgetown: Dodge a bullet. Get the axe.

2 questions:

Yes, you can put your suitcase, jackets, and bags in the waiting area/fish bowl. There isn't even parking for students so you will probably have a hard time finding parking. I believe earlier in this thread or last year's thread some people parked at the hospital. The hospital I volunteer at gives tickets to people who aren't patients so just be careful. You can always park at the metro and take the Guts bus to campus.

Oh!! I'm so afraid!! I was complete mid October as well.... I guess George will be haunting me during the weekend.

2 questions:

You can find parking on Reservoir Road and adjacent streets but very few spots allow more than 2 hours, coin/card operated. Parking in the hospital garage (entrance from reservoir road) is $15-20 for the day, parking in the garage at the bottom of the hill (the entrance from M street/Canal Rd) is a little cheaper but not sure by how much.

Anyone know the earliest when they would start accepting people off the waitlist?

I'm an M1 at Georgetown. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try to respond in a timely manner :confused:

I'm an M1 at Georgetown. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try to respond in a timely manner :confused:
do you know what information is good to include in letters of intent after being waitlisted? Also, I have been waitlisted since Oct 31. when would you expect for them to start looking through the waitlist? I have already sent 1 letter of intent

do you know what information is good to include in letters of intent after being waitlisted? Also, I have been waitlisted since Oct 31. when would you expect for them to start looking through the waitlist? I have already sent 1 letter of intent

Since I'm only a student and not on the ADCOM, I can only offer the following:

My letters consisted of highly relevant updates relating to my job and ongoing community service (not just random filler stuff), they reinforced the reasons why I wanted to go to Georgetown, and they explained how I could uniquely and meaningfully contribute to the community at Georgetown. Think of a way you might be able to uniquely contribute to the community here -- it certainly helps to stand out in that regard, but try not to sound disingenuous. Say something practical. I can't guarantee that you will get in (because you are on the waitlist), and I can only speak for myself on this matter. I do know that they look at all the applications. A lot of people are worried that not coming from a Jesuit background puts them at a disadvantage. I will say that there are definitely a few people who come from Jesuit backgrounds, but I would argue that's due to the fact that they know how to incorporate the Jesuit mission into their application. If I was an ADCOM member and had to say two words, they would probably be "convince me" -- not just something subjective, but objective. Dean Mitchell -- word for word -- on second look day said "you're here because we know you're not going to coast through medical school. You're going to do things."

I think they say that the waitlist can move at any time, but it SEEMED like it started to pick up around mid-March when I went through the cycle.

I talked with an ADCOM member a few months after starting here, and they didn't tell me anything about the process (I was just curious) because they keep the process pretty hush hush, so I can't really say much beyond that. The one thing they did tell me was to READ THE GUIDE TO THE APPLICATION. That's what they want. (Go figure)

Here you go: https://som.georgetown.edu/prospectivestudents/degrees/md/guide

Last edited:
Do they show you George's cage in M1 or do you have to wait for clinical years?

So Gtown is expensive but absolutely in love with the program. Any idea on how easy it is to get financial assistance/ scholarships?

What is the general feel of the student community at Georgetown? Do students tend to be more collaborative, or is the class pretty competitive?

On another note, I've been dodging axes left and right for about 2.5 months now. I'm not sure if the word "exciting" quite describes the feels..

rejected pre II complete early september

Got the axe, complete late september pre-II

What is the general feel of the student community at Georgetown? Do students tend to be more collaborative, or is the class pretty competitive?

On another note, I've been dodging axes left and right for about 2.5 months now. I'm not sure if the word "exciting" quite describes the feels..

Since we are P/F now our class is very collaborative!

Hi! Perpetual lurker here but thought I'd share that I received an II 12/4 (this past Sunday..kind of weird it was on a Sunday?) and was complete 9/16. Pretty shocked by this one actually!

GPA: 3.67 MCAT: 510. Did my post bac here but it's pretty known that Jorge does not give two sh**s about this.

I really really hate how long they keep some apps on the chopping block
I'm still waiting for another 20 or so schools, so I feel like this wasn't too long of a wait.

Any news today? When is the next round of rejections supposed to happen?