2016-2017 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how Emory handles applicants who are missing course requirements? My undergrad, for example, did not offer an Orgo I lab... so I only have 7 hours of Organic. Would I have to take the lab somewhere else if accepted?
lol does it offer orgo II lab but not orgo I lab or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how Emory handles applicants who are missing course requirements? My undergrad, for example, did not offer an Orgo I lab... so I only have 7 hours of Organic. Would I have to take the lab somewhere else if accepted?

From the FAQ:
What if I don't meet all the course requirements?
If you do not meet the minimum course requirements, you will be given an opportunity in the Emory Supplemental Application to explain why. Exceptions are made. They are rare, but they are made for individuals with very high grades or for those who demonstrate an exceptional aptitude in the sciences and in other areas (strong MCAT scores, published research, etc.).

Another important factor to consider is scoring well on the MCAT science subtests. Our admitted students score an average of 34 on the "old" version of the MCAT. If you are able to score well in the MCAT science subtests, this will certainly be a significant indicator of your knowledge in the sciences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I submitted my primary on the first day it opened, and got an MCAT of 516. To someone more familiar with the Emory app process, any idea why I might not have received a secondary yet? Would it be worthwhile to contact the school or let them do their thing? Thank you!

Hi there, I submitted my primary on the first day it opened, and got an MCAT of 516. To someone more familiar with the Emory app process, any idea why I might not have received a secondary yet? Would it be worthwhile to contact the school or let them do their thing? Thank you!

I would actually call them. Assuming you don't have a subscore below 125.

Emory SOM re: pre-screening:
Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests.
Applications from those who have taken the MCAT more than three times will not be reviwed by the Admissions Committee.

https://www.med.emory.edu/education/admissions/md/how_to_apply/application_requirements.html

If neither of those is you, it might be time to double check your Spam folder and then get in touch with them.

Is it just me or is the secondary website is not opening?

Stupid question, but what exactly do they mean by cropped photo?

Stupid question, but what exactly do they mean by cropped photo?

A photo of you holding your favorite crop, e.g. corn, soybeans, rice. Personally went with potatoes to accentuate my personality

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A photo of you holding your favorite crop, e.g. corn, soybeans, rice. Personally went with potatoes to accentuate my personality
Potatoes are an auto rejection, trust me. Cue neurotic applicants asking what the best type of crop to make them look unique is...

Reactions: 3 users
Potatoes are an auto rejection, trust me. Cue neurotic applicants asking what the best type of crop to make them look unique is...

Would it look too try-hard to submit an app update of me with some okra?

Reactions: 5 users
I went with ginger, my spirit vegetable.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, quick question:

Does anyone know if ESOM schedules MD interviews on certain days of the week, like they do for MD/PhD? Thanks!

Hi all, quick question:

Does anyone know if ESOM schedules MD interviews on certain days of the week, like they do for MD/PhD? Thanks!

Nope, but last cycle someone gave open interview dates of "February 8, 12, 25, and 29," so M, F, Th, M respectively. Make of that what you will

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so not motivated to write this secondary. I feel like I'm just wasting my time because they'll probably just glance at my app and laugh their head off because I even dared to apply.

I'm so not motivated to write this secondary. I feel like I'm just wasting my time because they'll probably just glance at my app and laugh their head off because I even dared to apply.

"[...] To accomplish this, we seek applicants who demonstrate strong academic excellence, compassion, motivation, leadership, integrity, community involvement, interests in and outside of medicine, and a compelling desire to serve." -Emory SOM admissions page

For all you know that's the only thing you're missing. No app = no chance

Stats? Emory isn't one of those schools that has ridiculously high matriculation stats, and you might have some cool experiences too

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, but last cycle someone gave open interview dates of "February 8, 12, 25, and 29," so M, F, Th, M respectively. Make of that what you will
Pretty positive (as a current student) that MD interviews are only on Mondays and Fridays. There were no interviews on the 25th, but there were on the 26th.

Also, FYI, first interview date last year was Friday, September 11. (Not to make you all neurotic...I interviewed in January, and there are a few people in each class who interviewed on the very last day.)

Pretty positive (as a current student) that MD interviews are only on Mondays and Fridays. There were no interviews on the 25th, but there were on the 26th.

Also, FYI, first interview date last year was Friday, September 11. (Not to make you all neurotic...I interviewed in January, and there are a few people in each class who interviewed on the very last day.)

Wait if the first interview date was September 11... How soon before that date did they get an invite?

Wait if the first interview date was September 11... How soon before that date did they get an invite?

No idea. They don't let us in on ALL the admissions processes, just tell us the interview dates so we can come talk to prospective students and eat cookies.

Any students from Emory care to share some of their favorite things about the school?

^ seconded. Their website is not very helpful and I'm having a really hard time learning what's unique about Emory. Even current applicants, please, if you have anything to share!

You can ask current students when you're invited to interview

Any students from Emory care to share some of their favorite things about the school?

^ seconded. Their website is not very helpful and I'm having a really hard time learning what's unique about Emory. Even current applicants, please, if you have anything to share!

Ya but that won't help with the secondary :(:confused::p

I'm concerned about all of you, and your lack of initiative. I simply went on a whim and called their Alumni network, and after a few transfers, they managed to connect me with several med school graduates, where we continued chatting on the phone and on Facebook. Additionally, a simple 20 minutes of searches on Google and the SDN search function revealed a lot.

*Sigh* All right, all right...whatever it takes to calm you neurotic applicants down.

I also happen to be an Emory student who attended from 2010-2013, before taking some time to serve in the Army and finally graduating this year. Unfortunately, I can't tell you everything, as there's a high chance it will sound like the secondaries that I've already written. But I do have some hints:

-Emory's Med School is quite diverse in just about every demographic you can imagine. Most of their underserved med students are heavily engaged with help their fellow underserved populations, whether it's through outreach around Atlanta, or in helping undergraduates and pre-meds. A lot of them also live well-balanced lifestyles and do not live in a bubble; I see a lot of them eating and mentoring fellow undergrads throughout the day, or participating in some of the extraciricular events I used to lead.

-We recently opened up a new research building...which tells you something about med students who are seriously interested in doing research at the same time. You'll have to make the time to look it up yourself, and the new PIs who work there...

-The Emory campus itself is nested right in the middle of metropolitan Atlanta. We are not a school that's built in some quaint, remote countryside, meaning we're extremely engaged with the city and its concerns.

-Another easily searchable fact: we own what I fondly name the "Emory Healthcare Empire". We have hospitals, clinics, specialty treatment centers, and outpatient centers EVERYWHERE in the state. Needless to say, Emory University's name is extensively affiliated to its medical capabilities.

-Consequently, Emory's med school and its students have a lot of partnerships with some outstanding entities...at this point, if you can't look up what these are, you probably should consider a school you're willing to put the effort for.

-Emory's Med School is quite diverse in just about every demographic you can imagine. Most of their underserved med students are heavily engaged with help their fellow underserved populations, whether it's through outreach around Atlanta, or in helping undergraduates and pre-meds. A lot of them also live well-balanced lifestyles and do not live in a bubble; I see a lot of them eating and mentoring fellow undergrads throughout the day, or participating in some of the extraciricular events I used to lead.

Maybe I don't want to go here anymore...

Reactions: 11 users
So you prefer that med students stay in an ivory tower of reclusion and isolation from the rest of the community then? In any case, it's not a requirement that you HAVE to eat and interact with students - but the med students as a whole are very open, interesting, and friendly people who care about their surrounding community members as a whole.

It seems like your first days in medical school life are going to be eye-opening, to say the least...

I think u misunderstood... liquidsodium was simply being facetious, since ur wording suggested a lot of med students ate undergrads throughout the day

Reactions: 13 users
I'm concerned about all of you, and your lack of initiative. I simply went on a whim and called their Alumni network, and after a few transfers, they managed to connect me with several med school graduates, where we continued chatting on the phone and on Facebook. Additionally, a simple 20 minutes of searches on Google and the SDN search function revealed a lot.

*Sigh* All right, all right...whatever it takes to calm you neurotic applicants down.

I also happen to be an Emory student who attended from 2010-2013, before taking some time to serve in the Army and finally graduating this year. Unfortunately, I can't tell you everything, as there's a high chance it will sound like the secondaries that I've already written. But I do have some hints:

-We recently opened up a new research building...which tells you something about med students who are seriously interested in doing research at the same time. You'll have to make the time to look it up yourself, and the new PIs who work there...

-The Emory campus itself is nested right in the middle of metropolitan Atlanta. We are not a school that's built in some quaint, remote countryside, meaning we're extremely engaged with the city and its concerns.

-Another easily searchable fact: we own what I fondly name the "Emory Healthcare Empire". We have hospitals, clinics, specialty treatment centers, and outpatient centers EVERYWHERE in the state. Needless to say, Emory University's name is extensively affiliated to its medical capabilities.

-Consequently, Emory's med school and its students have a lot of partnerships with some outstanding entities...at this point, if you can't look up what these are, you probably should consider a school you're willing to put the effort for.

I submitted my secondary 6 weeks ago.

When someone ends up at the bottom of the centrifuge tube every time

I think u misunderstood... liquidsodium was simply being facetious, since ur wording suggested a lot of med students ate undergrads throughout the day
I thought it was because he said "eating...fellow undergrads"
it was funnier in my head hahah

So you prefer that med students stay in an ivory tower of reclusion and isolation from the rest of the community then? In any case, it's not a requirement that you HAVE to eat and interact with students - but the med students as a whole are very open, interesting, and friendly people who care about their surrounding community members as a whole.

It seems like your first days in medical school life are going to be eye-opening, to say the least...

You said "eating and mentoring fellow undergrads" which suggests that the med students are consuming the undergrads to gratify their insatiable hunger.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but just to be sure and save myself $120, as an OOS applicant would my stats (3.63/509) automatically get me screened out here? I have thousands of hours of clinical and research experience and other ECs like presenting at a research conference.

deleted my previous comment. your MCAT might be too low IMO

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but just to be sure and save myself $120, as an OOS applicant would my stats (3.63/509) automatically get me screened out here? I have thousands of hours of clinical and research experience and other ECs like presenting at a research conference.

"Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application."

Their average GPA is 3.7, meaning a good portion of admitted students probably had GPAs around yours. The ECs will cushion being slightly below their avg. I say go for it!

"Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application."

Their average GPA is 3.7, meaning a good portion of admitted students probably had GPAs around yours. The ECs will cushion being slightly below their avg. I say go for it!

Eh, screw it. I went for it.

You said "eating and mentoring fellow undergrads" which suggests that the med students are consuming the undergrads to gratify their insatiable hunger.
Or satisfying something else meaning I do want to go here.

Or satisfying something else meaning I do want to go here.

tumblr_myn9bmGvAY1s4ov53o1_400.gif

@UNMedGa "Capital" refers to a letter, "Capitol" refers to the center of government of a nation, in your case the nation of Passive-Agression.
2424b13c835714d8492088ff64d2b7b6.jpg