2016-2017 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What update?

Updates about application being complete, II, interview scheduled etc.
the texts usually arrive a minute or so before the email haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Updates about application being complete, II, interview scheduled etc.
the texts usually arrive a minute or so before the email haha

ohhhh I thought you meant post interview and I was confused because they said January! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
rejected!!!!!!!!!!!!! :/ Complete mid sept, LM ~77

Rejected post secondary. Complete 9/12. LizzyM 72-73. Good luck to those left!

Hopping on that rejection train. Complete 9/15

Also rejected! complete mid Sept

rejected, but i think that was the nicest rejection e-mail that i've gotten.

Rejected as well, complete 10/5. Despite it being a rejection, the letter gave me hope for other schools haha. Kudos to whomever wrote their rejection letter

Anybody else complete in early September and still waiting to hear back ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected this morning. Complete late September.

Rejected as well, complete 10/5. Despite it being a rejection, the letter gave me hope for other schools haha. Kudos to whomever wrote their rejection letter
I can't believe I'm asking for this, but would you mind posting the text? I've received plenty of rejection letters by now, but I'm curious to see what Boston's looks like. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe I'm asking for this, but would you mind posting the text? I've received plenty of rejection letters by now, but I'm curious to see what Boston's looks like. Thanks!

BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS

This email is being sent to inform you that new information regarding your application to Boston University School of Medicine has been posted to MyApplication at BUSM. To view this information and reply, please click on this link -> https://myapplication.bumc.bu.edu/2017/

Dear abcde,

The Committee on Admissions of Boston University School of Medicine has completed its review of your application. It is with great regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away.

Most of the candidates we are considering this year are qualified to attend medical school and are likely to make important contributions to our profession and to society. Sadly, with more than 100 applicants for every seat in the class, we are forced to deny many exceptional people.

We acknowledge and respect your accomplishments and recognize that our inability to offer you an opportunity to complete the admissions process is a loss for Boston University. Please accept our best wishes for all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Witzburg, M.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Boston University School of Medicine

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address and cannot receive incoming e-mail messages or replies. Please use the Message Center in MyApplication ( https://myapplication.bumc.bu.edu/2017/ ) for communicating with us or you may contact us by telephone at 617/638-4630.

Wow that's such a kind and generous letter

I was rejected but then I also received a follow up e-mail inviting me to review my application with Dean Witzburg. Did anyone else get this? I was told not everyone received this, anyone have any ideas why they reached out to me?

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the axe, complete mid September. Good luck everyone else!

For those that interviewed, do you remember what Dr. Witzburg said with regards to how many acceptances they are offering this year? I'm trying to gauge the post-interview acceptance rate.

For those that interviewed, do you remember what Dr. Witzburg said with regards to how many acceptances they are offering this year? I'm trying to gauge the post-interview acceptance rate.

He had said that it was about 130 MD seats after you subtract special programs and deferred admissions from the total 180 acceptances.

He had said that it was about 130 MD seats after you subtract special programs and deferred admissions from the total 180 acceptances.

Hi, thanks for responding. I understand how many seats there are, but I was wondering how many acceptance offers they hand out. Medical schools typically offer more acceptances than they have seats for to factor the students who end up opting to matriculate elsewhere.

Hi, thanks for responding. I understand how many seats there are, but I was wondering how many acceptance offers they hand out. Medical schools typically offer more acceptances than they have seats for to factor the students who end up opting to matriculate elsewhere.

He didn't specifically state that number for our group. All he said was 1/3 would be accepted in January and the other 2/3 in March. According to US News though, they say they accept 446 out of 1071 interviews for the 180 seats.

He said there would be approx 290-305 md acceptances given out in total. 1/3 of those will be in Jan and the remaining spots will be given in march

Thank you! So, it's about a ~25% post-II acceptance rate. Really low... :(

Last edited:
was going to post that too.... so which number is more accurate?

It's not going to be 41%. He said they over-accepted last year and their yield has been getting really high the past few cycles. They're going to accept a lower % this year.

did you guys an email asking you to update your contact information?
(i don't have an II and i've been complete since early sept.)

Yep! Same situation! (Except I've been complete since July)

Yep just got that
(I received an II last week so doubt it indicates anything about our applications)

Did anyone else get the contact verification email? I was sittin on the toilet nonchalantly checking my phone and I was like WHATTTT when I got the alert :eek:

edit: nvm, I see others have received it as well. Hopefully this means promising news?

I haven't interviewed yet and still received the email. Probably an automated check for everyone still in the running

Did anyone else get the contact verification email? I was sittin on the toilet nonchalantly checking my phone and I was like WHATTTT when I got the alert :eek:

edit: nvm, I see others have received it as well. Hopefully this means promising news?

+1 on the toilet phone adventures

Already interviewed and got the email, probably means nothing about the status of your app.

Wow literally got the email when I was on my phone on the toilet too..

Pre II here and I didn't receive the email...

Pre II here and I didn't receive the email...
I don't think they are all coming at the same time. I got mine way after people posted on here. Don't worry it literally means nothing I'm sure

I don't think they are all coming at the same time. I got mine way after people posted on here. Don't worry it literally means nothing I'm sure

I'm so tired of checking my email, SDN and being so paranoid. Can't wait for all of this to be done (hopefully with at least one acceptance)!

I'm so tired of checking my email, SDN and being so paranoid. Can't wait for all of this to be done (hopefully with at least one acceptance)!
Haha unfortunately it doesn't even totally stop after you get acceptances. I'm still waiting on this school and going crazy!

Already interviewed here and just got the contact information verification e-mail;
I'm thinking it doesn't have much to do with status

Does your email also talk about FAFSA?

They need to stop sending up random emails. So annoying.

Anyone get an email About preparing your FAFSA documents for the interview?