2016-2017 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I'm applying this upcoming cycle (3.8/37) and I am looking to stay in Boston. I was wondering what BU's reputation is in the medical community - its ranking (29) seems pretty awesome, and it has a cool mission. Will it get me where I want to go (assuming I do well)?

It is a well reputed mid tier school with solid research and excellent clinical experiences at Boston's safety net hospital. The medical institution itself has a mission to serve the underserved. As with most schools with their respective region, it carries most of its weight in the New England region and is a great choice if you want to stay in Boston for residency. It doesn't have the pedigree of Harvard but it won't hold you back anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok cool, thanks. Also, I am not particularly well versed in residency quality - is BU's match list solid?

Ok cool, thanks. Also, I am not particularly well versed in residency quality - is BU's match list solid?
I wouldn't really take too much stock in school's match lists and what they mean for quality of school. It really depends on each individual applicant, their goals, their scores, their regional preferences; and you don't really know if someone got their top choice, etc. That being said, BU's match list is solid and expected. Probably a decent amount of Boston and Harvard matches due to regional preference, probably comparable to Tufts match as well.

Around how many matriculants to this school come from the SMP program here?

I hear the numbers 20-30 thrown around however that seems like a pretty big amount

Around how many matriculants to this school come from the SMP program here?

I hear the numbers 20-30 thrown around however that seems like a pretty big amount
As a former BU MAMS student (graduated a little over a week ago), I can say a decent percentage of MAMS students get accepted or, at the very least, waitlisted. 20-30 is what I have heard as well, though I am not sure what the numbers were this year. I believe the MD class size is around 180. 35 of those seats are for the BU BS/MD 7-year program and one other. That means there were 13,000 applicants this year competing for ~145 spots.

MAMS students do have an increased chance of admission, but it is not guaranteed. I did very well in the program and was waitlisted :shrug:. But I also know many others who were accepted. You at least have a very good chance of getting an interview invite.

As a former BU MAMS student (graduated a little over a week ago), I can say a decent percentage of MAMS students get accepted or, at the very least, waitlisted. 20-30 is what I have heard as well, though I am not sure what the numbers were this year. I believe the MD class size is around 180. 35 of those seats are for the BU BS/MD 7-year program and one other. That means there were 13,000 applicants this year competing for ~145 spots.

MAMS students do have an increased chance of admission, but it is not guaranteed. I did very well in the program and was waitlisted :shrug:. But I also know many others who were accepted. You at least have a very good chance of getting an interview invite.
Thank you for the reply. I just finished so I will hope for the best!

I am sorry about the waitlist, but congrats on the other acceptance!

Thank you for the reply. I just finished so I will hope for the best!

I am sorry about the waitlist, but congrats on the other acceptance!
Thank you!

Also, if you are applying to BU this year, it will probably be even more competitive. I just found out that the class this year is oversubscribed and they are offering scholarships to accepted students if they defer for one year. Which means less seats available for this cycle's applicants. Don't want to be a downer, but figured I'd give you (and everyone) a heads up.

Reactions: 1 users
Really like this school. Do I have a realistic chance here? Gpa 3.5, 507 mcat URM.

Really like this school. Do I have a realistic chance here? Gpa 3.5, 507 mcat URM.
Not really. Sorry to be harsh. As I had previously mentioned, BUSM over-accepted students this year, meaning some will be bumped into this cycle's class, leaving even fewer spaces available. BUSM already had one of the lowest acceptance rates (this is mainly because they receive about 13,000 applications per year), and the competition this year will be even fiercer. So I would advise you to save your money.

I understand that's tough to hear. BU was my number one choice, particularly after taking the MAMS program. My undergrad stats were similar to yours, and I did well in the MAMS program and scored highly on the new MCAT. I have lots of research experience and some unique clinical experience. I was waitlisted. I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting in, but BU is getting increasingly competitive each year.

While your stats are on the lower end for med school, there are still quite a few allopathic, and plenty of osteopathic, schools that would be interested in you enough to give your application the consideration it deserves. BUSM is probably not one of them.

Send an application and see. I didn't think I had a shot, but I ended up gaining an acceptance with a small scholarship.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Send an application and see. I didn't think I had a shot, but I ended up gaining an acceptance with a small scholarship.
What were your stats? Mine are 3.7/29 and i would love to get into BU

Anyone know the stats required to qualify for the Dean's Scholarship? What other merit aid opportunities are there for applicants?

Thank you!

Anyone else get the secondary pre-registration email? My AMCAS isn't even verified yet.

I got access to their supplemental application as soon as my AMCAS was verified.

I got access to their supplemental application as soon as my AMCAS was verified.
Really, how did you come to know about it , did you get an email? How do you otherwise check if you have access? I have been verified for more than a week now ..

Really, how did you come to know about it , did you get an email? How do you otherwise check if you have access? I have been verified for more than a week now ..

I have no idea. Well today was the first day applications that are verified were transmitted to medical schools for one, although it is possible to receive a secondary prior to today (the 24th).

I got an email asking me to pre register

Once I pre registered, I got an email asking me to make a password and create an account.

After creating an account I was given access to the supplemental portal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have no idea. Well today was the first day applications that are verified were transmitted to medical schools for one, although it is possible to receive a secondary prior to today (the 24th).

I got an email asking me to pre register

Once I pre registered, I got an email asking me to make a password and create an account.

After creating an account I was given access to the supplemental portal.

Are you early decision by chance? Might just be random though.

Probably is random. My MCAT is in as well, although I am waiting on one more letter.

Hmm interesting, I have been checking my email, I guess I'll keep doing that .
Anyone else got the email to pre-register?
Btw Afropolitan , can you see the supplementary prompts ? Would you minding posting them please?

Secondary prompts:

1) Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters)

2) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain: (1400 characters)

3) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.). (1400 characters)

4) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)

5) Optional: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine.This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)

@WedgeDawg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone going to write their diversity essay for the Optional #5 prompt or leave it blank?

I'm confused.... have people gotten secondaries?

Secondary prompts:

1) Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters)

2) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain: (1400 characters)

3) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.). (1400 characters)

4) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)

5) Optional: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine.This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)
Thanks for posting, looks like they didn't change.

Is anyone going to write their diversity essay for the Optional #5 prompt or leave it blank?
Not sure if diversity would work for this one as the diversity essay would still have things from your AMCAS application.

lol are 1 and 2 just yes or no answers? (if you're not doing a gap year that is)

Did your application say verified on it or did it say processed? I don't know if their is a differenced because mine has been processed for a week. Does that mean it is verified?

Did your application say verified on it or did it say processed? I don't know if their is a differenced because mine has been processed for a week. Does that mean it is verified?

Are you referring to AMCAS? If so, my app says "AMCAS processing is complete." When I say verified, it means that I have been assigned an AMCAS BCPM and non-science GPA.

Reapplicant here. Amcas processed 6/10. Received my secondary this morning and just submitted!

Just as a note, I'd screenshot the course requirements page once you complete it. If you end up reapplying, you have to do it all over again and it is a bit of a hassle.

If you are a reapplicant, there is also an additional optional essay:

"This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application." 3000 character limit

Last edited:
I got my secondary before I was verified– the email from BUSM said you can submit your supplemental before you are verified by AMCAS.

Question– for the course requirements, is it advised to report AP credits? I know they will see my transcript anyway so it likely won't matter much, and I have the requirements fulfilled without them, but I'm unclear as to whether I should tally every class for each category or just the ones from my undergrad institution.

I got my secondary before I was verified– the email from BUSM said you can submit your supplemental before you are verified by AMCAS.

Question– for the course requirements, is it advised to report AP credits? I know they will see my transcript anyway so it likely won't matter much, and I have the requirements fulfilled without them, but I'm unclear as to whether I should tally every class for each category or just the ones from my undergrad institution.
If you received college credit for them, then I'd report them.

As a side note, apparently some applicants had to wait for the secondary email noticeably longer than others last year too. Odd why it's so random and staggered seeing as it's an automated system. Just annoying when you do everything you can to be the first one out the blocks and then the secondary email isn't sent in any particular order....sigh

Reactions: 1 user
Verified 6/7....Still no secondary :mad:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really not even paranoid/worried; I'm just kinda pissed that I put in so much effort to get verified early and be in the first round of submissions. Here we are a week later and some people have likely already completed their secondaries while others haven't received it yet.

I fully recognize that I'm being neurotic about the whole "be early" thing, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. All of my other schools are on the slower/later side of the spectrum so I'm getting super antsy!

Reactions: 2 users
I would give it a shot boss. Same boat here! URM NCAA D1 athlete. Just graduated from BU and pre professional at BU told me to apply!

I'm really not even paranoid/worried; I'm just kinda pissed that I put in so much effort to get verified early and be in the first round of submissions. Here we are a week later and some people have likely already completed their secondaries while others haven't received it yet.

I fully recognize that I'm being neurotic about the whole "be early" thing, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. All of my other schools are on the slower/later side of the spectrum so I'm getting super antsy!
Incoming M1 here. You need to chill out my friend. If you're going to have that attitude for the rest of the cycle you may not make it to medical school because you'll kill yourself from anxiety. You may submit today or tomorrow and not even get invited for an interview until January. Submitting the first day or 15 days into the cycle or even a month early has an insignificant bearing on your likelihood of acceptance. Be patient, lower your blood pressure, and most importantly, don't demand that the world revolve around you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Incoming M1 here. You need to chill out my friend. If you're going to have that attitude for the rest of the cycle you may not make it to medical school because you'll kill yourself from anxiety. You may submit today or tomorrow and not even get invited for an interview until January. Submitting the first day or 15 days into the cycle or even a month early has an insignificant bearing on your likelihood of acceptance. Be patient, lower your blood pressure, and most importantly, don't demand that the world revolve around you.

I think "don't demand that the world revolve around you" might be a bit heavy handed for what was likely intended to be an innocuous statement. I don't believe it was an entitled attitude so much as just venting a minor frustration.

Reactions: 8 users
I think "don't demand that the world revolve around you" might be a bit heavy handed for what was likely intended to be an innocuous statement. I don't believe it was an entitled attitude so much as just venting a minor frustration.
We can debate our individual interpretations of his post, discuss his word choice, and come to an entirely unproductive conclusion. Fact of the matter is this person should really relax. It's going to be a long and taxing process. It helps absolutely no one to post raging comments 5 days into secondary season. Much less so when you consider how unjustified it is to be "pissed" or "ansty" toward the situation AT THE CURRENT MOMENT. He will receive his secondary whether it is this week or early next week and his chances of admission will not have been affected whatsoever.

Also if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability, or at the very least point you in the right direction!