2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reapplication right away means cramming for the MCAT because mine will
Be 4 years and too old

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reapplication right away means cramming for the MCAT because mine will
Be 4 years and too old
I feel ya there. I took mine in 2013 but I still feel like I should retake. I'm retaking in June.

I feel ya there. I took mine in 2013 but I still feel like I should retake. I'm retaking in June.
Same, mine is from 2013. But just started studying so probably looking at a September date ugh

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with a friend of mine that is IS and has applied before. He got in this cycle in October. He basically told me to not hold my breath for WL movement IS and to just prepare for reapplication. So, that's what I'm doing!

Current MS2a here. Both the IS and OOS WL's are moving, but movement has historically slowed down around June 1st. If you haven't been accepted anywhere by now, you should be making plans to strengthen your app/reapply.

Current MS2a here. Both the IS and OOS WL's are moving, but movement has historically slowed down around June 1st. If you haven't been accepted anywhere by now, you should be making plans to strengthen your app/reapply.
That's the plan! How do you know that the WLs are moving? Curious :)

I spoke with a friend of mine that is IS and has applied before. He got in this cycle in October. He basically told me to not hold my breath for WL movement IS and to just prepare for reapplication. So, that's what I'm doing!

Been doing this all along, PS and what not is coming along nicely!! Need more readers though!

Yup! Hopefully have better luck next cycle with all of my app improvements!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted off the waitlist yesterday! OOS, first and only acceptance. Shocked and so so grateful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm guessing the third wave of acceptances will hit two weeks from yesterday?

It would be great if Virginia had an MD school that gave preferential treatment to their own applicants. I suppose MCV's main priority is raking in the OOS $$$ for new buildings and such. Can't say I entirely blame them.

Reactions: 4 users
Notified by the typical "status change" email, then had a new portal message waiting. I didn't always receive the email notifications so I would definitely periodically check your portal!
Congrats!! What are your stats if you don't mind? And EC-wise were you super strong?

It would be great if Virginia had an MD school that gave preferential treatment to their own applicants. I suppose MCV's main priority is raking in the OOS $$$ for new buildings and such. Can't say I entirely blame them.

They be tripping of them expensive fart salads..

Virginia literally has 4 med schools, 3 of which give hard preference to VA residents according to MSAR numbers

Reactions: 1 users
Don't give up yet guys, just have a back up plan. Dont give up on going to med school even if u dont get in. Don't make all that hard work seem meaningless. This is what we wanna do...and we will do it until we break our bones!!!!

Don't give up yet guys, just have a back up plan. Dont give up on going to med school even if u dont get in. Don't make all that hard work seem meaningless. This is what we wanna do...and we will do it until we break our bones!!!!

I'd rather not break my bones though

EVMS IS apps: 1000
EVMS OOS apps: 5600

VCU IS apps: 1150
VCU OOS apps: 7500

For those schools to end up with 50/50 matriculation, I'd say there's a heavy IS bias

That is why I was honored to receive an OOS interview but would love an acceptance!

Congrats!! What are your stats if you don't mind? And EC-wise were you super strong?
high gpa, mediocre mcat, nontrad, plenty of interesting work experience/ECs

Last edited:
Virginia literally has 4 med schools, 3 of which give hard preference to VA residents according to MSAR numbers

That is not false, however it's sort of biased when you consider OOS turnover. I think I was considering it in contrast to several state schools that give overwhelming preference to training physicians from their state or geographic area.

A little late but, I was accepted off the waitlist on 5/17/16. Received a status update email at ~6:36 pm. Then checked on portal to confirm.

Secondary: Received July. Completed within 2 weeks.
Interview Invite: October.
Interviewed: Nov-December.

OOS. LizzyM ~66 (High GPA, Low MCAT). New MCAT. Non-URM. Took a gap year and then applied the next year. Lots of clinical experience with different certifications. Publications. Leadership experience. Mostly health-related volunteering. I think what helped me the most was I related my background/goals with my current experiences and my motivation. I had a unique story and my activities/experiences aren't really "cookie-cutters". People that wrote my LOR knew me well and could vouch for each experience along with my academic ability.

Was lucky to get a good interviewer that genuinely seemed interested in me. It took me a few real medical school interviews to learn to actually have a "conversation". It's a skill that you have to learn. My LizzyM is on the low side so it's proof that VCU really does look at the "whole picture".

I know at least one IS person that got accepted on 5/17/16, so there was "some" IS movement. Good luck to those that are waiting! Keep on pushing forward regardless how this cycle turns out! The moment you receive your acceptance, it makes all your all-nighters and sacrifices worth it! Best feeling in the world.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off of the wait-list on May 3rd.
OOS
Withdrew. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

No problem! LizzyM ~69 (high gpa/mediocre mcat), plenty of interesting work experience/ECs but a lot non medical because I'm a career changer several years out of school.
Your app sounds remarkably similar to mine...not sure whether to be optimistic (yay! they're accepting people like me!) or fatalistic (they already accepted people like me, so I must have been passed over.) It's hard not to be a little neurotic in this process. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

I'm guessing next Tuesday is when more offers will go out? I've only seen withdrawals recently.

Yup! That is marked on my calendar lol
I will be wishing luck to the both of us on that day then. Thankfully it looks like the OOS WL moves alot and we won't necessarily have to bank our hopes on next Tuesday.

Does VCU accept letter of Intent or any communication after waitlist?

Does VCU accept letter of Intent or any communication after waitlist?
I think so - at least update letters. Their website says no to letters of interest, so I would imagine no to letters of intent (but that is speculation).

Off their website:
"Does VCU accept update letters to applications for admission?
The only updates that we accept are grades from courses that were completed after an application was submitted and academic publication material that was published after an application was submitted. We do not accept letters of interest."

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#Update_Letters

I think so - at least update letters. Their website says no to letters of interest, so I would imagine no to letters of intent (but that is speculation).

Off their website:
"Does VCU accept update letters to applications for admission?
The only updates that we accept are grades from courses that were completed after an application was submitted and academic publication material that was published after an application was submitted. We do not accept letters of interest."

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#Update_Letters

Thanks!

I'm guessing next Tuesday is when more offers will go out? I've only seen withdrawals recently.
Do you mean this coming Tuesday, or a week from now? I wasn't sure if the holiday would mess up the schedule.

Do you mean this coming Tuesday, or a week from now? I wasn't sure if the holiday would mess up the schedule.

I'm guessing it may be this Wednesday or Thursday due to the holiday. It looks like they have been making offers every couple of weeks so I'm assuming they will make more this week.

Called to try to get an appointment with someone to talk about my app before I reapply... and nobody is available until (they think) July... What is the point of that if that's after I can submit? Just gimme five minutes :(