2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year's prompt:

Imagine that you are a family physician and are seeing a 15 year old girl for menstrual cramps. Her mother has accompanied her for this visit. When you examine the patient without her mother present, she tells you that she is sexually active. She begs you not to tell her mother because of her family’s strong values against teen sex. Discuss your next steps.

2000 character limit (including spaces)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
on my long list. Working on pre-writing secondaries. As time goes on, the list may dwindle with my energy to write all these essays.
Good news, some can be recycled! Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
@tensticks I got it from MSAR. It looks like they interviewed 480/6500 OOS applicants. My guess is that if you're OOS and you receive an interview, you have a good chance at being admitted since their matriculating class is almost 50/50 split between IS and OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
@tensticks I got it from MSAR. It looks like they interviewed 480/6500 OOS applicants. My guess is that if you're OOS and you receive an interview, you have a good chance at being admitted since their matriculating class is almost 50/50 split between IS and OOS.

oh okay I see thanks for letting me know! Im from Maryland that's why I asked haha

On the fence for this school. The 7% II for OOS is deterring me....
Erh..According to MSAR I got 80% of total applicants are OOS, and about 50% of the class is OOS. So .50 times .80=about 40% chance for OOS. How did you get 7% again?

Erh..According to MSAR I got 80% of total applicants are OOS, and about 50% of the class is OOS. So .50 times .80=about 40% chance for OOS. How did you get 7% again?
Careful about how you look at the numbers! "II" means interview invite.

(# OOS interviews) / (# OOS applicants) = (480) / (6567) = 0.0731

So about 7% of the OOS applicant pool was interviewed in the 2013-2014 cycle.

just finished the CERT program, excited to be applying here!

Reactions: 1 user
On the fence for this school. The 7% II for OOS is deterring me....

I'm an OOS student here and about 50% of our class is OOS - I highly recommend applying if you are OOS.

Reactions: 3 users
Careful about how you look at the numbers! "II" means interview invite.

(# OOS interviews) / (# OOS applicants) = (480) / (6567) = 0.0731

So about 7% of the OOS applicant pool was interviewed in the 2013-2014 cycle.

In med school admissions numbers, 7% getting an interview is not really bad...

In med school admissions numbers, 7% getting an interview is not really bad...

You're correct! Sorry, I didn't mean to freak people out! Most of the schools on my list are IS and relative to those statistics, 7% for an interview seems daunting. For OOS, 7% seems pretty standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to confirm, does VCU accept Canadian citizens not born in Canada or the US? They say Canadian citizens are accepted, but they also say people born outside of US or Canada are not accepted.

Thoughts on special programs offered here? I'm thinking about applying, but I'm trying to find some unique programs that are offered.

Just wanted to confirm, does VCU accept Canadian citizens not born in Canada or the US? They say Canadian citizens are accepted, but they also say people born outside of US or Canada are not accepted.

How is that unclear? You must be a citizen of the U.S. or Canada, or a permanent resident w/requisite paperwork. The do not accept foreign medical students from any other country.

From their site: "Only United States and Canadian citizens and permanent residents are considered for admission."

Just submitted my AMCAS application as a Canadian citizen. Hopefully its not late in the cycle!

Best of luck everyone! Hoping to see some love from VCU as well.

Just got an update email... hopefully we'll be hearing soon. Has anyone gotten anything past "Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will begin the process of evaluation"?

@arianna_n nope! when I logged in to the site it says that they do not send secondaries to everyone so we are under review for that

Just got an update email... hopefully we'll be hearing soon. Has anyone gotten anything past "Your application has been received by the VCU School of Medicine and now will begin the process of evaluation"?

@arianna_n nope! when I logged in to the site it says that they do not send secondaries to everyone so we are under review for that

Can confirm!

Got the same email. "The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. You may check your application status any time on our website..."

I never got that email and I was verified on June 4th.

I was verified June 10th. I don't think that they're necessarily going in order, so no need to fret @ellocarter

Nope! But like any other neurotic pre-med I'm checking my spam box all the time to make sure its not going there hah.

I got the Application Status email, but I'm confused as to how they will contact us about secondaries. I know the email says we can check the website for our status, but I don't see myself checking the website everyday, as opposed to my email. Does anyone know if they will email us about secondaries, or if we will only find out by logging in through the application status site?

Nope! But like any other neurotic pre-med I'm checking my spam box all the time to make sure its not going there hah.
You and me both! Maybe they're sending it out in batches or something. Are you OOS? I am. Maybe that affects it.

You and me both! Maybe they're sending it out in batches or something. Are you OOS? I am. Maybe that affects it.

IS actually and I'd agree that they're probably sending them out in batches. Maybe they pick a straw and that picks the applicant who knows haha.

I am OOS and I received an email yesterday!

OOS just received secondary

In State. Verified 6/11. Just received the application status email.

OOS, verified today & received application status email just now

OOS received update email today

OOS & I received the application status email a couple hours ago. Fingers crossed for a secondary!

I actually have the secondary now that I checked. There are a bunch of demographic questions and the essay is:

Imagine that you are a family physician and are seeing a 15 year old girl for menstrual cramps. Her mother has accompanied her for this visit. When you examine the patient without her mother present, she tells you that she is sexually active. She begs you not to tell her mother because of her family’s strong values against teen sex. Discuss your next steps.

:soexcited:
Secondary acquired!
I actually have the secondary now that I checked. There are a bunch of demographic questions and the essay is:

Sorry, gonna repost this below with a tag so hopefully it'll update the first post.

@Ismet

2000 character limit (including spaces)

Good old medical ethics. Nice change of pace here

This is the same prompt from last year... just as a warning this happened last cycle (i.e. 2014's prompt was the same for 2015), but then a couple of weeks later the prompt changed due to a display error. Like, the prompt for 2015 wasn't supposed to be the same as the one for 2014.

Why do they want to know my SAT score? Like I did really well on it so I'm okay with it, but how is my score on a test I took when I was 16 relevant to anything?

This is the same prompt from last year... just as a warning this happened last cycle (i.e. 2014's prompt was the same for 2015), but then a couple of weeks later the prompt changed due to a display error.

How was this resolved?

How was this resolved?

As long as you submitted the essay before the prompt changed, you were fine. However, they basically expected you to re-write the essay if the prompt changed and you hadn't yet submitted (with a few exceptions, I'm sure). To my understanding. I happened to get to this secondary after the prompt had already been changed to the correct one, so it didn't affect me directly. Just wanted to give people a heads-up in case the secondary application hadn't officially updated on the portal even though it's available for viewing now, so you don't end up potentially needing to start from scratch.

so can anyone comment on the different 3rd and 4th year sites? I'm OOS so I'm going to have to look into this before finishing that question, just curious if anyone here wanted to add anything :)

Maybe any current students @ct303 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users