2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called to try to get an appointment with someone to talk about my app before I reapply... and nobody is available until (they think) July... What is the point of that if that's after I can submit? Just gimme five minutes :(

Dang that sucks...I contacted all the other schools that rejected me and got basically the same response...

Members don't see this ad.

Dang that sucks...I contacted all the other schools that rejected me and got basically the same response...
Yeah but you would think if you're on the WL they would at least give you the time of day so you know what they would expect upon your reapplication.

Reactions: 1 user
Called to try to get an appointment with someone to talk about my app before I reapply... and nobody is available until (they think) July... What is the point of that if that's after I can submit? Just gimme five minutes :(

U r a really strong applicant though...maybe u can still get off of the wait list...a 3.98 and 29 with solid ECs deserves to get in SOMEWHERE and become a doctor...**** medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
U r a really strong applicant though...maybe u can still get off of the wait list...a 3.98 and 29 with solid ECs deserves to get in SOMEWHERE and become a doctor...**** medical schools
LOL- thank you. I'm currently prepping for retaking the MCAT. I will admit I applied stupidly- not broadly enough, no safeties, etc, so I can't be too upset with myself for not getting in. My other WL school is OOS and only takes 10 OOS-ers so I'm pretty much out of luck at this point haha.

First post on SDN and first acceptance of the cycle. Got status change email at 6:35 pm today! So blessed and so excited!!!

For all those who are wondering: IS Indian female just graduated undergrad a week and a half ago. MCAT: 512, Science GPA: 3.7. Main ECs: EMT Basic at local rescue squad, Medical scribe, research, Big Sibling Volunteer, Organic Chemistry lab TA, Biology and Chemistry Tutor for underprivileged high school students.

Keep persevering guys! If I can do it, you can too!

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!

ORM OOS, sGPA 3.66, MCAT 31
Got the email today at 3:34 pm PST

This is my first acceptance and I'm still in shock. This whole experience has been so deteriorating but so humbling. Don't lose hope guys, it only takes one acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED!!

This is my first acceptance and I'm still in shock. This whole experience has been so deteriorating but so humbling. Don't lose hope guys, it only takes one acceptance!
Congrats fellow OOSer!

I know that they do not accept letters of interest, but does VCU accept additional LORs if you're on the WL?

ACCEPTED!!

Congratulations, that's so exciting, I'm a fellow OOSer too. I was wondering if you would mind telling us how long they gave you to decide to accept the position? Was it still 2 weeks, or has it gone to 2 days at this point? Just trying to see how movement might occur now since we're in June.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking they still give them two weeks but I would like to know as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, that's so exciting, I'm a fellow OOSer too. I was wondering if you would mind telling us how long they gave you to decide to accept the position? Was it still 2 weeks, or has it gone to 2 days at this point? Just trying to see how movement might occur now since we're in June.

They gave me 2 weeks!

That moment when you stalk the VCU SOM class of 2020 page and see at least 10 friends on it....

I was accepted off of the waitlist on May 31st!! I'm OOS

Reactions: 3 users
hey guys I am applying here this coming cycle (2016-2017) and was wondering if I would get screened out before receiving a secondary...thought this would be a good place to ask since y'all have been through the process. Congrats to all the accepted students!

I am in state, 3.6 gpa but 505 mcat (123 in bio) ... I am also retaking in July so I was wondering if I should send my primary here before or after I receive my mcat score! A 505 is about a 29 and a 123 in bio is about a 7.5 for reference...thanks for any advice/comments!
A 29 corresponds to more of a 507 on the current scale, so you're looking at lower than a 29 for your current MCAT score. I am not sure as to their particular screening process so I can't answer that!

@bisonbison well I got 70th percentile which is a 28.5 so I just rounded up for the hell of it haha but thank you for the reply! Being IS with a retake, I might as well apply early to get the ball rolling there and then they can assess the retake as they wish!

Ah okay haha. Well best of luck!

hey guys I am applying here this coming cycle (2016-2017) and was wondering if I would get screened out before receiving a secondary...thought this would be a good place to ask since y'all have been through the process. Congrats to all the accepted students!

I am in state, 3.6 gpa but 505 mcat (123 in bio) ... I am also retaking in July so I was wondering if I should send my primary here before or after I receive my mcat score! A 505 is about a 29 and a 123 in bio is about a 7.5 for reference...thanks for any advice/comments!

Obviously there are a lot of variables, but if it helps I am an OOS and got a 506 MCAT (123 in CARS)... so similar to yours. My GPA was a 3.86 overall and in science. I have quite a strong set of EC and an interesting application (heavy computer science background). I was interviewed in September but was passed over all four acceptance dates and am now on the wait list. VCU does do some pretty heavy screening pre-secondary - but hey, who really knows.

I also have very similar stats except I took the old MCAT and received a 28 with a 7 in VR. I received an OOS interview in October and am currently on the WL. Hopefully this helps and good luck this year!

Last edited:
@golfman7 thanks for the reply and good luck to you! hope it all works out!

Same. Wanted me to "wait a few weeks and see how it plays out" and call again around the end of the month.:censored:

Same. Wanted me to "wait a few weeks and see how it plays out" and call again around the end of the month.:censored:

Yeah I don't want to lose the benefits of applying early...u would think that all med schools will try to end the last cycle before the new cycle begins? Common ******* sense...

Yep same. I was like "Uhhh I'm going to have submitted my app by then though." :|

Yeah I don't want to lose the benefits of applying early...u would think that all med schools will try to end the last cycle before the new cycle begins? Common ******* sense...

Yeah...will be applying early with or without their feedback :wacky:

I've thought about just showing up since I live pretty close :laugh:

I'd run there with bricks tied to my entire body in the scorching heat with no source of hydration if it would give me the info I needed to have a successful upcoming cycle. I shouldn't feel confident at all...But for some reason I'm extremely optimistic I will experience the glory of being accepted for the 2017 cycle.

My PS and primary application are written vastly better than the last time around. I made so many mistakes and was actually complete muchhh later than I thought at a lot of places due to schools waiting on my MCAT retake. Got a lot of good feedback from a few schools too.

Last edited:
I'd run there with bricks tied to my entire body in the scorching heat with no source of hydration if it would give me the info I needed to have a successful upcoming cycle. I shouldn't feel confident at all...But for some reason I'm extremely optimistic I will experience the glory of being accepted for the 2017 cycle.

My PS and primary application are written vastly better than the last time around. I made so many mistakes and was actually complete muchhh later than I thought at a lot of places due to schools waiting on my MCAT retake. Got a lot of good feedback from a few schools too.

Wow, sounds like you're in a good spot! I'm retaking the MCAT on the 18th. Hoping to boost up my 29. Apparently the 4.0 GPA wasn't enough :laugh: What did other schools suggest?

Want to make sure I'm not missing something - incoming M1's don't need a physical form, only the vaccination records up to date?

Want to make sure I'm not missing something - incoming M1's don't need a physical form, only the vaccination records up to date?

Yeah and then you need to send it to the school so they'll let you register for classes.

Try your best to get all your vaccinations and titers up to date. Quite a few members of our Class of 2019 got a bunch of bloodwork done during the first few weeks of school, so it's not the end of the world if you're missing an MMR or meningitis vaccine.

Try your best to get all your vaccinations and titers up to date. Quite a few members of our Class of 2019 got a bunch of bloodwork done during the first few weeks of school, so it's not the end of the world if you're missing an MMR or meningitis vaccine.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if there is a specific stethoscope we need to purchase, or something we get once we start? Also, do classes start Monday after orientation? Can't wait!

Guys, I really need some input! Were any of you complete here in August? If so, when did you receive an II and when did you get accepted or waitlisted? I'm IS and VCU is my target. However, I'm taking a July MCAT and will be complete in August…so worried it will hurt my chances!

Last edited:
Guys, I really need some input! Were any of you complete here in August? If so, when did you receive an II and when did you get accepted? I'm IS and VCU is my target. However, I'm taking a July MCAT and will be complete in August…so worried it will hurt my chances!

bump, anyone?

bump, anyone?
Not to be a jerk or speak out of turn, but most of the people left on this thread are wait-listed. Even if we were inclined to answer, we're probably not the right people to ask

Not to be a jerk or speak out of turn, but most of the people left on this thread are wait-listed. Even if we were inclined to answer, we're probably not the right people to ask

You're right, I'm sorry. I meant to inquire about the basic timeline you guys were complete, and when people got interviews that resulted in either acceptances or waitlists. I changed my post to "accepted or waitlisted." Thanks for pointing that out!

Being complete in August is not late at all for any md school...[/QUO

Thanks! At this point, I probably don't have a choice because I don't think I can do my best on the June test this weekend...so really pushing for an early July MCAT. Do you know how long VCU takes to review and pre-screen apps before sending secondaries?

Thanks! At this point, I probably don't have a choice because I don't think I can do my best on the June test this weekend...so really pushing for an early July MCAT. Do you know how long VCU takes to review and pre-screen apps before sending secondaries?

No idea about that lol

Depends on when you submit your app but I still think August is still okay.