2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idaho WWAMI applicant here. Accepted about 2 hours ago, got the phone call from my ExCom member. Super ecstatic and will definitely be matriculating in the fall. Excited to meet my fellow Idaho WWAMI folks come August!

BTW there's an Idaho group on FB. CONGRATS!!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/212218842464083/

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it was a 208 number! I answered it immediately because I did not know who it was. Hopefully it was them :D

It WAS them. I am in :) They called me again today and thankfully I picked it up this time.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the rejection. So close, yet so far away.

Trying to figure out what this next year has for me and how I can boost my application for the next time around.

See you on next year's forums.

Idaho. Interviewed 1/13

Got the rejection. So close, yet so far away.

Trying to figure out what this next year has for me and how I can boost my application for the next time around.

See you on next year's forums.

Idaho. Interviewed 1/13
Do you know if we can get feedback? Why weren't you waitlisted?

Anyone from WA who interviewed in October accepted lately?

Nothing over here. Silence since 1/29.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Same here, complete silence since the SUC email on 1/29. Hopefully this week is the week!

Silence on my end. Interviewed 10/7 Seattle. Hope that the fact I havent been denied this far is a positive sign..

Silence also since SUCx2 on 1/29. Interviewed in mid-December.

Does anyone know how housing/student loan availability works during the summers? I'm asking since the UW Budget page outlines the first year cost for 3 quarters, but the summer after the first year students are required to do an independent investigative inquiry (ranging from 4-10 weeks). Are students offered loan options for the summer since we don't have jobs to pay for our living during this time? What do students traditionally do to survive that summer's expenses (especially if they have an apartment in Seattle)?

Does anyone know how housing/student loan availability works during the summers? I'm asking since the UW Budget page outlines the first year cost for 3 quarters, but the summer after the first year students are required to do an independent investigative inquiry (ranging from 4-10 weeks). Are students offered loan options for the summer since we don't have jobs to pay for our living during this time? What do students traditionally do to survive that summer's expenses (especially if they have an apartment in Seattle)?
Sounds like that could be outdated with the new curriculum... If you've been accepted, ask the financial aid office. Pretty sure there are options for you, albeit with higher interest rates. But you may still be a full time student with new curriculum and thus qualify for a federal loan for that quarter with standard interest. Otherwise, you get a research job...or get a small stipend for a clinically based independent project (RUOP)

Sounds like that could be outdated with the new curriculum... If you've been accepted, ask the financial aid office. Pretty sure there are options for you, albeit with higher interest rates. But you may still be a full time student with new curriculum and thus qualify for a federal loan for that quarter with standard interest. Otherwise, you get a research job...or get a small stipend for a clinically based independent project (RUOP)
Thank you. No I haven't been accepted, but hopefully that'll change soon! I was just curious since I was on the cost/budget page and I was curious how summers fit in the budget since students typically don't have jobs in med school and could have apartment leases in Seattle. If I get accepted I'll definitely contact the financial aid office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. No I haven't been accepted, but hopefully that'll change soon! I was just curious since I was on the cost/budget page and I was curious how summers fit in the budget since students typically don't have jobs in med school and could have apartment leases in Seattle. If I get accepted I'll definitely contact the financial aid office.
From what I've read on other school threads, the ideal thing to do is save money throughout the year so you can support yourself over the summer. I haven't seen anything about taking loans for the summer.

From what I've read on other school threads, the ideal thing to do is save money throughout the year so you can support yourself over the summer. I haven't seen anything about taking loans for the summer.
That's how the current students do it. I don't know how this will be different for the new curriculum.

There are no loans available for summer. source: am an MS-1
Some of the III (investigative inquiry) options potentially have funding, but not really enough to support cost of living across the whole summer. Save up and budget for summer during the school year!
Also to look forward to - MS-3 and MS-4 years are more expensive (4 quarters enrolled) but the financial aid offered is only 3 quarters worth. Save up and budget, or you will have to look into private loans.

There are no loans available for summer. source: am an MS-1
Some of the III (investigative inquiry) options potentially have funding, but not really enough to support cost of living across the whole summer. Save up and budget for summer during the school year!
Also to look forward to - MS-3 and MS-4 years are more expensive (4 quarters enrolled) but the financial aid offered is only 3 quarters worth. Save up and budget, or you will have to look into private loans.
Not true about 3rd/4th year. We are budgeted housing for all 12 months!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education...dent-affairs/financial-aid/budget-information

Notice how 3rd/4th year has a higher room/board amount. It's not because our standard of living increases. It's just due to us being in school all year round!

Not true about 3rd/4th year. We are budgeted housing for all 12 months!

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education...dent-affairs/financial-aid/budget-information

Notice how 3rd/4th year has a higher room/board amount. It's not because our standard of living increases. It's just due to us being in school all year round!

Hmm maybe I am remembering wrong. But Diane explained during our orientation that the loan-allotted COA for 3rd/4th year rises, but not enough to actually cover the real estimated COA (which rises, as you and the link point out, but more than the loan allotment). I will take your word for it and not worry about this for now :)

Does anyone know when site placements will be announced?

Does anyone know when site placements will be announced?
Usually sometime in March before 2nd look. I spoke to admissions back in early february and they were deciding then. I am assuming they are working out the minor details of it now and should send one out this week or the next! :)

For people who get notified of acceptance in march, do they get their site placement right away?

So do we know if there are any more scheduled interviews for this week? I'm itching for an update.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel the same way. interviewed in October, 4 SUCs. My hope is we'll hear next Friday

I think the REAL question is (for Seattle at least), when is the next/last EXCOM meeting? Based on my review of past years threads I'm gonna vote end of next week, maybe the week after. We will surely hear by the end of this month but I'm thinking it will be sooner. Any other predictions?

I interviewed mid-October, 4 x SUC since. I figure I MUST be waitlisted, right? I mean why else would they have not accepted or rejected me in this long? Just a matter of which lucky number I am maybe...
Three years ago I was this exact situation. Except I did hear back with an acceptance. Never was I wait listed or rejected.

Honestly, the reason why you haven't been voted on is because your adcom member hasn't brought you up. If you are brought up, you'll hear back either with an rejection or being accepted. Otherwise, you haven't been voted on which means you haven't been brought up. This could be for any number of reasons, but doesn't necessarily mean they are not interested in you.

Everyone is brought up during the meeting in March. You'll hear back soon with their decisions, whether it is an acceptance, rejection or waitlist.

So do we know if there are any more scheduled interviews for this week? I'm itching for an update.

I interviewed one week ago and that was the last OOR/WA interview day for this cycle, per the admissions office staff. The last regional interview session was Friday the 25th. Second look day is March 25th I believe so most of the acceptances should be coming in within a week, according to the timeline given to us during our interview day.

I want to second what BABs has mentioned...we were told countless times that SUC emails are nothing more than 'your adcom rep wasn't present during the last excom meeting'. I'm hoping we get some good news within a week guys! This school quickly turned into my first choice as soon as the interview day was over. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Id love to find out somethin on Friday

I interviewed one week ago and that was the last OOR/WA interview day for this cycle, per the admissions office staff. The last regional interview session was Friday the 25th. Second look day is March 25th I believe so most of the acceptances should be coming in within a week, according to the timeline given to us during our interview day.

I want to second what BABs has mentioned...we were told countless times that SUC emails are nothing more than 'your adcom rep wasn't present during the last excom meeting'. I'm hoping we get some good news within a week guys! This school quickly turned into my first choice as soon as the interview day was over. Good luck everyone.
It seems hard to believe that the Excom members for us October interviewees haven't been present at any of the meetings. :( This process is so stressful and frustrating! Hoping to hear something soon!!

Reactions: 1 user
It seems hard to believe that the Excom members for us October interviewees haven't been present at any of the meetings. :( This process is so stressful and frustrating! Hoping to hear something soon!!
It can also mean they didn't bring you up. Think about it as they only bring up two types of applicants, those they know for sure will and won't be accepted. Everyone else in the middle (the majority of interviewees) they want to compare to the whole group of applicants. So you get strung along until they have seen everyone.

It sucks, but it also ensures those that interview in February have the same chances to get in than those that interview in October. Personally, I think that is way more fair than the schools that fill their class in December and the applicants interviewing in January onward are trying to get waitlist positions.

Reactions: 2 users
Today has been the longest weirdest day and I'm so freaking tired but it doesn't matter because I just got that ACCEPTANCE CALL! SUC'd x3 interviewed in November.

Reactions: 6 users
I've been in an area completely without phone service! Has anyone's portal been updated yet or is that going to be on Monday?

I've been in an area completely without phone service! Has anyone's portal been updated yet or is that going to be on Monday?

My portal isn't updated yet. My excom said an email would be sent out early next week so guessing it will be reflected on the portal then.

If you're in - they will definitely call you back!

Welp, no call today...I am now just hoping for a SUC email instead of a rejection...damn...

But congrats to those accepted!!

Congrats to those who received acceptances! Does anyone know if this was the final meeting for sure?

My portal isn't updated yet. My excom said an email would be sent out early next week so guessing it will be reflected on the portal then.

If you're in - they will definitely call you back!

Thanks for the update!

Anxiously waiting for tomorrow and Monday. Congratulations on your acceptance! :giggle:

Didnt hear anything today.. Super bummed

No call either. This sucks, I was so hopeful! I guess it's not quite time to throw in the towel, but it feels close.
Interviewed in Dec, SUC x2, IS, LizzyM 75.

:(

Accepted tonight at 8 pm! Interviewed early Oct, SUCx4 before finally getting in. Best of luck everyone! SUC'ed people, stay strong!

Reactions: 3 users
No call either. This sucks, I was so hopeful! I guess it's not quite time to throw in the towel, but it feels close.
Interviewed in Dec, SUC x2, IS, LizzyM 75.

:(

Don't lose hope yet! I'm not convinced they've gotten through all the applications, especially considering all of the SUC. It wouldn't even surprise me if the final meetings are not until next week still. Once the waitlist is made, that's when you'll know it's over. But that's also good news because if you're within the top 20-25 on the waitlist, it's almost essentially a guaranteed acceptance. Still plenty of time to get in!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my phone call 2 hours ago from my excom member... I'M IN!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!! Interviewed 12/9/15 Instate. Best of luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users