2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Denied and heart broken

Members don't see this ad.

Does any know about an exit interview process we can sign up for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected. I am extremely sad to leave behind my family. I am devastated that I have to uproot my boyfriend from his successful career and move for school.

I (and others) interviewed what, 5 months ago? Half a year? I am certain that when the EXCOM sat down to talk about me (us) last week, they had no idea who I actually am (we are). Us applicants all blur together. Even though the interviewers wrote notes about us after our interviews, people still forget. I know because I am an interviewer for my undergrad. I also believe that waiting until March is not as fair as the Admissions Team claims it to be. My 1st interview in October was compared to someone else's 5th or 6th in February. How is this fair? I know that my 6th and 7th interviews were waaaay better than my 1st! I firmly believe that this process is fundamentally flawed and I am extremely disappointed in UW's admissions process and team. I wish I had known that I was going to be rejected months ago instead of being strung along like this.

My heart goes out to everyone receiving bad news today.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected today, too. :sorry:

Sad not being back at UW, but will be heading to PNWU!

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted and placed on the alternate list for this fall! Wishing you the best of luck! :giggle:

I'll see you at PNWU :)

I got waitlisted right outside of where I think I'd make it, so bye everyone :(

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm out too. Wishing that I could reapply but glad to be headed somewhere. Good luck to reapplicants.

Rejected. I am extremely sad to leave behind my family. I am devastated that I have to uproot my boyfriend from his successful career and move for school.

I (and others) interviewed what, 5 months ago? Half a year? I am certain that when the EXCOM sat down to talk about me (us) last week, they had no idea who I actually am (we are). Us applicants all blur together. Even though the interviewers wrote notes about us after our interviews, people still forget. I know because I am an interviewer for my undergrad. I also believe that waiting until March is not as fair as the Admissions Team claims it to be. My 1st interview in October was compared to someone else's 5th or 6th in February. How is this fair? I know that my 6th and 7th interviews were waaaay better than my 1st! I firmly believe that this process is fundamentally flawed and I am extremely disappointed in UW's admissions process and team. I wish I had known that I was going to be rejected months ago instead of being strung along like this.

Also think the UW team dropped the ball majorly. The fact that my tour guide told us she was not happy there, and that no financial aide or other info talk was given........ Was unprofessional. I hope everything works out SallySue! Me, I'm excited for SoCal or the northeast :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

100000000% agree with you... It's ridiculous...

Reactions: 2 users
For those rejected, I understand that's it's incredibly frustrating, especially if you interviewed early in the season. If you have serious feedback regarding the admissions process, then I encourage you communicate that to the school. They would appreciate constructive feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email. Alternate list number 13. Hope that's ok.
And I'm sorry to those who didn't get in, like uw is so weird with its process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected. But ok with it BC frankly...... Worst showing by a med school on interview day of 10 schools. Also, didn't like UW for undergrad and Seattle gives me SAD.

Actually happy that now my family can't badger me to stay here :p

Just playing devils advocate, but it seems like you wouldn't have been happy at UW anyways? I also interviewed at some identical schools you interviewed at (for example, UCSD) and I definitely do not feel like UW was the "worst showing". I loved the atmosphere at UW. It was very warm and compassionate. I felt right at home.

Also think the UW team dropped the ball majorly. The fact that my tour guide told us she was not happy there, and that no financial aide or other info talk was given........ Was unprofessional. I hope everything works out SallySue! Me, I'm excited for SoCal or the northeast :)

For what it's worth, I normally can't stand the financial aide presentaiton given during interview days. I find them to be really redundant (all of the info is available online, including budget, COA, etc.) Contrast to your experience, my tour guide was awesome and super happy. We had an info session with current students, and advisor, and a resident... and I had some awesome conversations and got to know them. I thought the interview day was really well laid out. I wasn't ever bored and I always had something interesting to do or someone who'se brain I could pick.

Sally, I have felt what you feel. I think many people have. I don't know why things work out the way they do... but I believe that they happen for a reason. Sometimes things suck when you're going through them, but later on you realize that it was the best thing that could have happened to you. That it helped you grow, or got you out of your comfort zone, or gave you a bunch of new opportunities you never would have had otherwise. Still, I am heartbroken for you especially because I know how you feel and I know that deep sting and hurt. I hope everything works out in the end... keep your head up!

Just playing devils advocate, but it seems like you wouldn't have been happy at UW anyways? I also interviewed at some identical schools you interviewed at (for example, UCSD) and I definitely do not feel like UW was the "worst showing". I loved the atmosphere at UW. It was very warm and compassionate. I felt right at home.

For what it's worth, I normally can't stand the financial aide presentaiton given during interview days. I find them to be really redundant (all of the info is available online, including budget, COA, etc.) Contrast to your experience, my tour guide was awesome and super happy. We had an info session with current students, and advisor, and a resident... and I had some awesome conversations and got to know them. I thought the interview day was really well laid out. I wasn't ever bored and I always had something interesting to do or someone who'se brain I could pick.

Sally, I have felt what you feel. I think many people have. I don't know why things work out the way they do... but I believe that they happen for a reason. Sometimes things suck when you're going through them, but later on you realize that it was the best thing that could have happened to you. That it helped you grow, or got you out of your comfort zone, or gave you a bunch of new opportunities you never would have had otherwise. Still, I am heartbroken for you especially because I know how you feel and I know that deep sting and hurt. I hope everything works out in the end... keep your head up!

Yeah it really depends on the person! Definitely not a good fit for me, and I'm lucky that I have multiple options I love :) still think that UWs process is highly untransparent and disorganized compared to every other school I applied to and interviewers at.

For those rejected, I understand that's it's incredibly frustrating, especially if you interviewed early in the season. If you have serious feedback regarding the admissions process, then I encourage you communicate that to the school.

To provide another perspective to help everyone better understand the whole process,
1. Not everyone has to wait until March. Those students who are rated extremely impressive get accepted shortly after their interview. There are always some of these. More than may be realized because not everyone posts on SDN.
2. The alternative to not waiting to compare everyone until March is to reject those that don't immediately get accepted. If they rejected the applicants that just miss getting an immediate acceptance, then those people will have no shot rather than a shot compared to the end. Yes, it's frustrating to have to wait, but the alternative is to be rejected earlier and have no shot. There are people who interview in Oct and end up getting accepted in March.
3. Those who perform extremely poorly do get rejected after their interview and do not have to wait until March.
4 Getting better at interviews later in the season is simply part of the process. UW can't do anything to change that. However, an applicant can do something to change that by practicing on their own regardless of how many interviews they have before their UW interview. There are lots of people who get in to UW with it being their first or even their only interview.
5. Your interview consisted of only one executive EXCOM member. All of the EXCOM members divide up the interviews (there are about 20 of them), so they are better able to remember their applicants. They are only interviewing a limited number of applicants, so they are able to remember . That one EXCOM member is then the one to present you to the whole panel.

It is an imperfect process, and there are always ways for them to change it. So again, I encourage you to give them constructive feedback if you have some.

Rejected as well.

Rejected as well. I honestly think I didn't make a strong enough argument for my admission in my interview. Part of it was my fault and, the more I thought about it, part of it was UW's interview process. I thought a half hour with three individuals, who had not seen most of my file, asking rapid fire questions, most irrelevant to my application, definitely didn't give them a chance to truly get to know me. Alright I didn't interview before the end of February, I feel for those who interviewed in October and got rejected today. No excom is going to remember you five months from now unless you are one of those golden child doctor prodigies. It doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I loved the atmosphere at UW, the interview day, as well as the students and faculty. Honestly tho, after interviewing at other top programs and comparing their interviews, I would rank UW near the bottom as far as interviews are concerned. Make it two half hour individual interviews or make the 3 panel member interview a little longer.

Definitely refuse to be salty about it though, I think it's a wonderful program. Congrats on the acceptances!

Just got an email. Alternate list number 13. Hope that's ok.
And I'm sorry to those who didn't get in, like uw is so weird with its process.

Alternate #13 is (basically) a guaranteed acceptance! Congrats!

And I do want to say a big congrats to everyone that got in :)

You should tell the school your tour guide said she wasn't happy there. I'm glad she was honest, but it pretty much means she isn't going to give you an accurate representation of everything available to you. Oh well.

Next year I may start doing tours again and lunches with the applicants. It'll give them a 4th year's perspective looking back.

Does anyone know if wait listed peeps can go to the second look event?

Sorry to all those hearing rejections :( I know it's been a tough road, and it's not easy waiting this long and hearing no. Do know that it is more likely that you were brought up in previous meetings, but placed in SUC or undecided if you interviewed very early in the cycle, than not having been brought up AT ALL all cycle. So it's not like they were not considering you at all this whole time. On the contrary, they most likely were but wanted to make sure to keep you until the end before having to cut you/accept you.

Rejected as well.

... I thought a half hour with three individuals, who had not seen most of my file...!

Just letting you know, the process is very clear that all interviewers have read your application thoroughly. Only the EXCOM has your grades though. Sometimes they choose to not address the application when things there were written clear and concise and ask other questions to expand on what they have learned on paper [if that makes sense]. Sorry to hear you didn't make it in though! UW seems to have missed a bunch of great candidates this year!

Hi everyone, TRUST reject and alternate #9 settling in for the wait. Thanks for starting this thread!

Rejected today. OOR interviewed 2/22. Didn't even get a spot on the alternate list =\

Hi everyone, TRUST reject and alternate #9 settling in for the wait. Thanks for starting this thread!
Same trust reject lol. I'm 13 hopefully of trends go as planned we will be classmates and make our own rural and underserved pathway.

Here is a google docs spreadsheet showing how the waitlist moved in previous years: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lication-thread.1074162/page-28#post-16433551
If this is something you find helpful, I can make another one for this year to help future applicants. It, and all previous ones, has been created and filled in by the waitlisted individuals. You are the ones that can see what number they are on. I can't. I have just made the Google doc and created graphs for the last few years.

Same trust reject lol. I'm 13 hopefully of trends go as planned we will be classmates and make our own rural and underserved pathway.
Sounds like a plan Py! Fingers crossed that UW calls up a bunch of us alternates. Good luck!

If this is something you find helpful, I can make another one for this year to help future applicants. It, and all previous ones, has been created and filled in by the waitlisted individuals. You are the ones that can see what number they are on. I can't. I have just made the Google doc and created graphs for the last few years.

I would be happy to contribute to this year's spread sheet, just let me know

Hopefully! But there's no way of knowing for sure until later!

That would be great, thanks for the offer! Just curious, do IS alternates for WA who preferenced Seattle Only on the secondary get offered Spokane seats or strictly Seattle? Being an alternate, I realize beggars can't be choosers. Any info would be appreciated!

That would be great, thanks for the offer! Just curious, do IS alternates for WA who preferenced Seattle Only on the secondary get offered Spokane seats or strictly Seattle? Being an alternate, I realize beggars can't be choosers. Any info would be appreciated!
I honestly have no idea. My year they tried to prioritize who was in Seattle. But once those seats were given and remained filled, the later people were placed in Spokane.

Assignments will be given in a few weeks. It honestly causes some people to withdraw their acceptance because they are placed in Spokane.

I honestly have no idea. My year they tried to prioritize who was in Seattle. But once those seats were given and remained filled, the later people were placed in Spokane.

Assignments will be given in a few weeks. It honestly causes some people to withdraw their acceptance because they are placed in Spokane.

Are OOR students always placed in Seattle?

Just to be 100% sure—UW doesn't require any lab classes for matriculation, correct?

Are OOR students always placed in Seattle?

Not anymore. Spokane is open to them.

Just received an email about this - basically said reply by this Friday about whether or not you'd like to be in Spokane. Request will be honored either way and will not affect admissions decision.

Just received an email about this - basically said reply by this Friday about whether or not you'd like to be in Spokane. Request will be honored either way and will not affect admissions decision.
Thanks for the update! I'm hoping there will still be Seattle spots available for OOR people on the alternate list...

Good to know, thanks for the response.

Does this also apply to alternate list folks, or just those who have already been accepted? Haven't received this e-mail so I'm assuming it applies only to accepted people at this point?

@BABSstudent or current students, could you please chime in about securing housing? It seems that most places want ~1300+ for a studio and also want 3x income verification. These are places close surrounding the school, so I was honestly hoping they would be more student friendly... Any advice for OOR folks would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps suggestions for neighborhoods with easy access to bus lines further out from UDub? I will happily sit on a bus for a longer commute if it means I can actually secure (pet friendly) housing and rent is reasonable!

Good to know, thanks for the response.

Does this also apply to alternate list folks, or just those who have already been accepted? Haven't received this e-mail so I'm assuming it applies only to accepted people at this point?
It might just be for accepted folks at this point.

@BABSstudent or current students, could you please chime in about securing housing? It seems that most places want ~1300+ for a studio and also want 3x income verification. These are places close surrounding the school, so I was honestly hoping they would be more student friendly... Any advice for OOR folks would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps suggestions for neighborhoods with easy access to bus lines further out from UDub? I will happily sit on a bus for a longer commute if it means I can actually secure (pet friendly) housing and rent is reasonable!
This is the reason why medical students don't live beside the school. Laurelhurst, Maple leaf, green lake, Ravenna, Wallingford are all good options. Rent will still be expensive and a lot of students have roommates. I budget about $1k per month for rent alone. I ride the bus to clinics.

Hi tdc - another thing to keep in mind is the light rail is opening up this Spring. This will have a stop across from the medical center and will make places further away more accessible and faster! Capitol Hill is being touted as a 4 minute ride (even better than the bus!) and public transportation will be covered by the UPASS we are given.

Cap Hill tends to be more on the expensive side but it opens up areas like the Central District or Beacon Hill that tend to have much cheaper rent but used to be considered further removed from campus (but close to Cap Hill). Now you could end up with a 10 minute bus ride to Cap Hill plus a 4 minute light rail ride and that isn't so bad :)
http://www.soundtransit.org/ulink

Edit: these areas are also closer to Harborview, Swedish, Group Health which I believe are some of the other hospitals we will go to at times, although not sure how much in our first 18 months

Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. What about the relative safety of these areas? What's closer to cool bars or more convenient for grocery shopping/errands?

Does anyone know if wait listed peeps can go to the second look event?
I emailed them and they said no. :/ not sure how we can make a decision once someone gets off the alternate list without visiting a second time, meeting financial aid, etc.

I emailed them and they said no. :/ not sure how we can make a decision once someone gets off the alternate list without visiting a second time, meeting financial aid, etc.

If its any consolation, I think they say no purely because of space limitations. Each accepted student is allowed to bring 1 guest, and for some of the information sessions they mentioned that guest are not allowed in the room due to space restrictions (during that time, your guest relax in a reserved area). So I think they reason they don't let WL folks go is just because of space, not because they don't want you to!

If its any consolation, I think they say no purely because of space limitations. Each accepted student is allowed to bring 1 guest, and for some of the information sessions they mentioned that guest are not allowed in the room due to space restrictions (during that time, your guest relax in a reserved area). So I think they reason they don't let WL folks go is just because of space, not because they don't want you to!

Yeah I understand. I wonder if this opportunity can be extended in April. UWSOM was my first choice but I didn't have a good time on my interview day... My guide wasn't all that excited either.

Hi tdc - another thing to keep in mind is the light rail is opening up this Spring. This will have a stop across from the medical center and will make places further away more accessible and faster! Capitol Hill is being touted as a 4 minute ride (even better than the bus!) and public transportation will be covered by the UPASS we are given.

Cap Hill tends to be more on the expensive side but it opens up areas like the Central District or Beacon Hill that tend to have much cheaper rent but used to be considered further removed from campus (but close to Cap Hill). Now you could end up with a 10 minute bus ride to Cap Hill plus a 4 minute light rail ride and that isn't so bad :)
http://www.soundtransit.org/ulink

Edit: these areas are also closer to Harborview, Swedish, Group Health which I believe are some of the other hospitals we will go to at times, although not sure how much in our first 18 months

Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to help.

You will be going to one of the hospitals (Harborview, Swedish, UWMC (on campus), or Northwest) at least once every two weeks during your first 18 months and sometimes more when you have simulation lab at Harborview for clinical skills. As long as you can get to UW, Harborview and one of the Swedish hospitals are easy to get to b/c there is a fast direct shuttle from UW to Harborview.

I went ahead and created a new spreadsheet for waitlisted students to update. It is laid out exactly the same as previous ones. You need a computer to access it from SDN (the mobile site hates it).

For mobile devices, try removing the spaces in here.

http s://docs. google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vauZks6ASrzUERwQAsDa7cxOgK25n0Pf8ZAZNYUhDco/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: