2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are you supposed to do about forwarding your email address? They say you can't forward it to an outside email, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access it without forwarding it. I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idaho WWAMI:

I haven't been following the thread, so I hope this is relevant. Many of you likely have a lot of questions about the Idaho campus and the curriculum reform. Here are my thoughts regarding a few questions that I've received recently; I just finished MS1 in Moscow.

Questions:

How do you like living in Moscow as a medical student? I have friends who live there, but the typical undergraduate life is going to be completely different than what a medical student is going to experience.

How do the preceptorships work up there? I see students from the Seattle campus say they are doing time in clinic every other week, is that the same for the Idaho WWAMI? Do they just pair you up with a family med doc in Moscow? Or do you have to travel very far (like Lewiston?). Just curious how this worked for the Idaho WWAMI.

Last but not least, what's class/lab schedule like? I saw someone from Seattle on the forum post it's about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Is it similar at the Idaho site? Also, I know there are classes at WSU, how often do you have to travel between the campuses (I know they are only like 8 miles apart, but just curious). Just wondering what a semi typical week is/how often you have exams and what not.

Response:

1. I think that Moscow is great, and most of my class seems to feel the same. It's a small town feel, and the community is very supportive of medical education. There are a few students in my class who prefer larger cities, but most of us seem to have really enjoyed Moscow. Your experience at UofI will be very different from what undergrads experience, and you likely won't interact with UofI or WSU students. We have a building to ourselves on both campuses so we really don't cross paths much.

2. Precepting for me was a really good experience, but it is really determined by who you have for a preceptor. Mine was very procedural and interested in teaching. She did broad scope family medicine, so I was able to be a part of Ob care, deliveries, biopsies, IUD insertions/removals, etc. You will precept for 4 hours a week in a family medicine clinic during 1st year. During 2nd year, you will probably branch out into specialty clinics, according to your interests. Many preceptors are in Moscow, some are in Pullman, others in Colfax or Lewiston. If you have to travel outside of Moscow, UW will provide transportation (Vans and SUVs).

You will also spend about 4 hours every other week in an inpatient setting, interviewing patients in the hospital, practicing physical exam skills, doing bedside and formal presentations, etc. This was a highlight of first year for me as well. You'll work with the same 5-6 students and physician preceptor/mentor throughout the year, so you'll get to know them well and likely become pretty close. In reality, 40 students is a pretty small class, and you'll probably get to know everyone pretty well.

3. Classes are 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. There is quite a bit of prep and review outside of class, however, and the model is designed in a way that expects you to have a decent understanding of the material prior to attending class each day. We mainly travel to WSU for anatomy lab, which was usually once every couple of weeks. UW provides transportation to Pullman. The style of the class, test schedule, and presentation/flipped classroom balance all seemed to change quite a bit depending on which block you were covering. However, tests were generally every week or every 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Would any students accepted to Spokane mind mentioning when the first day of orientation is this year? From what I understand, Seattle's first day is August 22?-- just trying to get a feel for when to officially give up hope for a late cycle waitlist miracle. Best of luck with the start of first year, everyone!

For the medical equipment we need, any thoughts or preferences on where/which to buy? There are so many choices on Amazon. Has anyone taken a look at what's available at the bookstore?

For the medical equipment we need, any thoughts or preferences on where/which to buy? There are so many choices on Amazon. Has anyone taken a look at what's available at the bookstore?

Our class did a group purchase order so everything was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Our class did a group purchase order so everything was cheaper.

Thanks @BABSstudent, how did your class go about the group purchase? Was it before school started or during, and which supplies? We'll be needing some of our equipment (tuning forks, BP cuff, penlight, reflex hammer) before the start of Immersion and Orientation so I'm not sure if my class will do any sort of group order since we need it all pretty soon.

Thanks @BABSstudent, how did your class go about the group purchase? Was it before school started or during, and which supplies? We'll be needing some of our equipment (tuning forks, BP cuff, penlight, reflex hammer) before the start of Immersion and Orientation so I'm not sure if my class will do any sort of group order since we need it all pretty soon.

We did it during first semester, and since you'll need it before then maybe it's not possible to do. I'll scout Amazon for you for the equipment we ordered.

Amazon product

This scope is what I have. Some people got cheaper ones but regretted the small viewing section. Others only used it during the physical exam teaching sections but then sold it ASAP because almost all hospitals carry them. It's up to you for how much you want to spend. I like the built in battery in this one.

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

You can purchase a nicer reflex hammer, but this one does exactly what you need it to do. I don't regret getting it. Don't need a pen light since you can find an actual pen with a light built in, or use the oto-opthalmoscope for this.

Last edited:
We did it during first semester, and since you'll need it before then maybe it's not possible to do. I'll scout Amazon for you for the equipment we ordered.

Amazon product

This scope is what I have. Some people got cheaper ones but regretted the small viewing section. Others only used it during the physical exam teaching sections but then sold it ASAP because almost all hospitals carry them. It's up to you for how much you want to spend. I like the built in battery in this one.

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

You can purchase a nicer reflex hammer, but this one does exactly what you need it to do. I don't regret getting it. Don't need a pen light since you can find an actual pen with a light built in, or use the oto-opthalmoscope for this.

Thanks so much, that is so helpful @BABSstudent. I was looking into these and I wasn't sure. Glad to know these supplies have been successful for you and your class. Any insights on the BP cuff? That's the one I'm most curious about since it could be the slightly more expensive tool we have to buy right away. They're not having us buy the scopes until finaid has been disbursed so we have a little time for that.

Thanks so much, that is so helpful @BABSstudent. I was looking into these and I wasn't sure. Glad to know these supplies have been successful for you and your class. Any insights on the BP cuff? That's the one I'm most curious about since it could be the slightly more expensive tool we have to buy right away. They're not having us buy the scopes until finaid has been disbursed so we have a little time for that.

This will just be a learning tool, not the one you will likely be using on patients. You probably don't need to purchase an expensive one and you can probably use someone else's that you pair up with (if you want to save some $$$). I bought a $20 one because I know people with hypertension and wanted to measure their BPs. Honestly if you want one, but don't want to spend a lot, spend a similar amount. Just know that you won't be carrying it around with you since every patient room has one built in.