2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SUC#4 interviewed early October.

Members don't see this ad.

SUC x3-4 I lost count at this point. Interviewed early October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got rejected today. IS, interviewed early December, SUCed last week (only once).

This was my last holdout on final decisions so I guess I have to try again next year.

Rejected today as well, LizzyM ~67, interviewed early December. Disappointed, but glad to have closure early on and start to plan for my move out of WA. Best of luck with everyone that is still SUC'ed and hang in there! :happy:

Rejected, see some of you in next years thread.

This one hurt more than expected.

"Average indebtedness" seems to be a useful measure of the true cost, and usnwr puts UW somewhere between 140,000-150,000 for 2013 graduates. Do you think this is inaccurate, and if so, do you have any clue where the discrepancies lie?
Remember those huge tuition increases undergraduates complained about? It hurt graduate students even worse. 10% to 5,000 versus 10% to 35,000.

Then do serial tuition raises. It quickly increase tuition amounts. Those that graduated in 2013 had much lower tuition than those starting now.

And many people in our class have parents that pay for housing or tuition or both. There are other people that didn't go straight to medical school and saved up. There are people paying tuition with the GI bill. And there are even people like me who are married with a working spouse that pays for housing.

I think I will graduate with about $125k debt from medical school with grants, scholarships and a spouse who pays for housing.

Rejected from SUC. OOR. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last week, rejected via email this afternoon. This one stings a bit. Guess the interview didn't go too well haha :(

I got a rejection email from UW on my interview day and that was a mistake on their end. I hope it's the same for you. If not, sorry to hear that :(

Oh man why'd you have to say this? You ruined my chances at closure and moving on lol.

Congratulations! Thanks for the info. If you don't mind my asking, did you ever recieve a "still under consideration" letter?

I sure did. My most recent SUC note arrived on 1/21. I think they send them out to most of us, and then pick people up in the order the committee dictates.

Hey everyone, I'm interviewing on Wednesday! Any tips before the interview?
Also, how long do they take to get back to you after the interview about acceptance/rejection?
Thanks!

Also, how long do they take to get back to you after the interview about acceptance/rejection?
Thanks!
A long long LONG time for most people

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!

To be honest, I think the best tip is to relax and just be yourself! They are looking to see if you can communicate/trying to picture you as a future doctor. For some reason, keeping that in mind helped me...

Also, I think the wait time depends on where you are interviewing. If you are in Seattle, it will probably be a long time, but if you are at one of the regional sites, the wait will probably be a lot shorter. I am from one of the regional states, and I was accepted two days after my interview. Good luck!

To be honest, I think the best tip is to relax and just be yourself! They are looking to see if you can communicate/trying to picture you as a future doctor. For some reason, keeping that in mind helped me...

Also, I think the wait time depends on where you are interviewing. If you are in Seattle, it will probably be a long time, but if you are at one of the regional sites, the wait will probably be a lot shorter. I am from one of the regional states, and I was accepted two days after my interview. Good luck!
Wow, thanks! Yeah, I'm interviewing at Spokane for the TRUST Program, really hoping to get in! What is the structure of the interview? Is it MMI or do they have the traditional personal interview? Thanks!

Thanks!
Just be confident and you'll do great! If you smile then they definitely will too!

Did anybody else have a change on their portal with the 'E-2016 alternate list' info?

I'm guessing this is some default change that went out to all of us. I'm staring at the tea leaves, trying to derive meaning. Oh the joys of post-interview purgatory.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I have the alternate status too.

Adding on - it seems a bit premature. Last year's thread only began posting about the portal updating to reflect the alternate status in March.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! Yeah, I'm interviewing at Spokane for the TRUST Program, really hoping to get in! What is the structure of the interview? Is it MMI or do they have the traditional personal interview? Thanks!

The structure is a thirty minute panel interview with three panelists. Sometimes there scheduling issues and you might end up with two panelists (don't worry about it if that's what happens to you--that part isn't about you). My interview felt kind of laid back, but it felt a little more formal than other schools (I don't know how much that description will help you, but I can't think of a way to better describe it). I could definitely tell that they were trying to get to know me/get an idea of how I would talk to patients in the future.

Does saying that you will go to either the Seattle / Spokane sites or just the Seattle site affect your chances?

What does this mean?

"The most recent alternate ranks accepted are listed below. This page is updated daily.

Wyoming: Alternate -- has been accepted

Alaska: Alternate -- has been accepted

Montana: Alternate -- has been accepted

Idaho: Alternate -- has been accepted

Washington/Out of Region: Alternate -- has been accepted"

My guess is they're prepping the portal for when the waitlist is established. I don't think it means anything at this point.

What does this mean?

"The most recent alternate ranks accepted are listed below. This page is updated daily.

Wyoming: Alternate -- has been accepted

Alaska: Alternate -- has been accepted

Montana: Alternate -- has been accepted

Idaho: Alternate -- has been accepted

Washington/Out of Region: Alternate -- has been accepted"

Mine says the exact same thing.. Does everyones else say this? Im assuming we are waitlisted for consideration at all locations?

Mine says the exact same thing.. Does everyones else say this? Im assuming we are waitlisted for consideration at all locations?
No I think they just updated the front page for some unknown reason.
They'll form a waitlist in early/mid-March.

No I think they just updated the front page for some unknown reason.
They'll form a waitlist in early/mid-March.
Yeah, I have this and my rejection SPECIFICALLY said I was not going on the alternate list haha. It's just to show the status of people on the alt lists overall, it doesn't pertain to your own status.

The structure is a thirty minute panel interview with three panelists. Sometimes there scheduling issues and you might end up with two panelists (don't worry about it if that's what happens to you--that part isn't about you). My interview felt kind of laid back, but it felt a little more formal than other schools (I don't know how much that description will help you, but I can't think of a way to better describe it). I could definitely tell that they were trying to get to know me/get an idea of how I would talk to patients in the future.
Thank you for this. I ended up with 2 panelists. My interview went extremely well. I haven't heard from anyone else that had two panelists, so it's been making kind of nervous.

Thank you for this. I ended up with 2 panelists. My interview went extremely well. I haven't heard from anyone else that had two panelists, so it's been making kind of nervous.
I had only two panelists, and I got in last year :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey ya'll! Interviewing tomorrow... For those who have published research, did they ask you to discuss your work? I'm curious if they will ask me to explain it or approach the topic in more of a quiz fashion. I'm prepared to discuss my research in great detail; however, I would be worried if they looked through the article and inquired about minute details that I may not remember (experimental conditions etc). Any advice helps- Thank you!

Hey ya'll! Interviewing tomorrow... For those who have published research, did they ask you to discuss your work? I'm curious if they will ask me to explain it or approach the topic in more of a quiz fashion. I'm prepared to discuss my research in great detail; however, I would be worried if they looked through the article and inquired about minute details that I may not remember (experimental conditions etc). Any advice helps- Thank you!
One of the questions during my interview was "I see you wrote a paper on malaria, can you tell us what that was about?"
So I pretty much told them the abstract. They asked a few follow-up questions but it wasn't very in depth.
Edit: Also, mine wasn't published so all they had was the title. Your case might be different since they could have taken the time to actually read the paper. However I really don't think they'd be interested in minute details.

Reactions: 2 users
They actually did not ask for any specific detail, but rather wanted some examples of how my research pertains to medicine. It's more anecdotal: make it personal rather than numerical, if possible. Good luck!

I haven't had anything published, but I do have a lot of research experience. They asked me to explain my research to them, but I highly doubt they would have read the article and are going to quiz you. The thirty minutes goes by so fast, and they want to see you as a future doctor. They are also all so busy, I doubt they would have time to read everyone's publications and come with prepared questions... Those are just my guesses, but my impression of the interview is that they really aren't out to get you/looking to quiz you on specifics of your research.

One thing I would think about answering instead is "Why do you want to be a doctor instead of a full time researcher?"

I hope this isn't too late, and I hope it helps! Good luck!

I think yes, you should expect them to ask you about your research. Some people just got pointed questions asking to explain, but in my interview they asked me how I would explain my current research project to a middle schooler. So be prepared to explain it in several different ways, concisely and with/without jargon!

I haven't had anything published, but I do have a lot of research experience. They asked me to explain my research to them, but I highly doubt they would have read the article and are going to quiz you. The thirty minutes goes by so fast, and they want to see you as a future doctor. They are also all so busy, I doubt they would have time to read everyone's publications and come with prepared questions... Those are just my guesses, but my impression of the interview is that they really aren't out to get you/looking to quiz you on specifics of your research.

One thing I would think about answering instead is "Why do you want to be a doctor instead of a full time researcher?"

I hope this isn't too late, and I hope it helps! Good luck!

Thank you to all who replied! Very helpful. Your question is a great one to consider and one that I acknowledged in my personal statement:) I am more than willing to expand on my reasoning in this interview though.

I think yes, you should expect them to ask you about your research. Some people just got pointed questions asking to explain, but in my interview they asked me how I would explain my current research project to a middle schooler. So be prepared to explain it in several different ways, concisely and with/without jargon!
Explaining without jargon is huge. I like to ask people to explain their research to me. I am not in their field of research in most cases, so I check to see if they catch this. I want them to explain it in simple terms that I can follow. I don't care if it isn't 100% correct. Give me analogies. Why? Because that's what doctors do every day. You need to be able to do this to people with all different education levels. You have to translate the newest scientific breakthroughs and treatment options to basic English. You have to explain things to people so they can make informed decision making.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been doing research outside the scope of medicine (ecology), and I can't think of a way to attach that to medicine. I was thinking its a good experience, because I get to learn about the whole process of the scientific methods of research (data collection/analysis, manuscript write ups...), just in a different field. If I were to be asked this question, would that be an ok answer+maybe real examples? :)
Yes I definitely think that would be fine. They want people who are curious about other fields too, not just medicine.

Anyone heard anything this week?

Going off of past trends, there will likely be 1-2 weeks of regional acceptances as a lot of those interviews are going on currently/next week and they hear back very soon. Seattle/OOR will probably not hear back until the last 2 weeks of Feb if that's what you are waiting for.