2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to ask again... can anyone recommend a cheap place to stay in Seattle when I interview, preferably <$60 a night? I'm coming from the midwest, so I don't know how reasonable that is.... Thanks in advance
Priceline has a couple options for under 60 right now, not sure your dates...

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone share any last minute interview tips? I've never had a panel interview before and it's nerve wracking ;)
Thanks!

Can anyone share any last minute interview tips? I've never had a panel interview before and it's nerve wracking ;)
Thanks!

I'd say just be yourself make sure to smile a lot genuinely and be thoroughly honest while using common sense to avoid any awkward situations. It's what I did and it seemed to have worked :) Also I practiced alot before my interview with some online questions but I found they asked fairly simple questions just to get to know your character

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

So seems the same person made the UWSOM E-2015 as well as the UWSOM Seattle E-2015 ...Sooo I did the same and just copy/pasted the description changing the date! (I know I know...so original :p ) Anyway, here are the links, I can accept whoever joins and would love someone to also be a co-admin for both. I assume anyone going to Spokane can do the same for their specific site, as well as other OOS/In-region sites (ie Montana, Idaho, etc), as done so in previous years! Feel free to join the general one though (E-2016).

Here are the links: EDIT NEW LINKS
E-2016: www.facebook.com/groups/200535446966493/
E-2016 SEA: www.facebook.com/groups/940039719364936/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

So seems the same person made the UWSOM E-2015 as well as the UWSOM Seattle E-2015 ...Sooo I did the same and just copy/pasted the description changing the date! (I know I know...so original :p ) Anyway, here are the links, I can accept whoever joins and would love someone to also be a co-admin for both. I assume anyone going to Spokane can do the same for their specific site, as well as other OOS/In-region sites (ie Montana, Idaho, etc), as done so in previous years! Feel free to join the general one though (E-2016).

Here are the links:
E-2016: www.facebook.com/groups/240539322944007/
E-2016 SEA: www.facebook.com/groups/1703913236488651/

I made the Spokane Facebook some time last week. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/506980662815079/

I tried to join the general UWSOM E-2016 group but it says that I need a UW email? I don't have that yet that I know of.. ?

Last edited:
I made the Spokane Facebook some time last week. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/506980662815079/

I tried to join the general UWSOM E-2016 group but it says that I need a UW email? I don't have that yet that I know of.. ?

EDIT: TRY IT NOW! Made a new one and changed the links on the above page! Also if you could post that on your spokane group. Seems y'all got a bit of people there! :)

Last edited:
Gah so. An abstract I'm coauthor on just got accepted for a podium at a competitive national meeting. I'm post interview, they don't want updates like this except during your interview right? D:

Gah so. An abstract I'm coauthor on just got accepted for a podium at a competitive national meeting. I'm post interview, they don't want updates like this except during your interview right? D:
Don't think so :( something similar happened to me and I'm bummed I can't update.

Did anyone else end up with just two interviewers? I'm trying to figure out how often that happens and whether it's good or bad for me?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else end up with just two interviewers? I'm trying to figure out how often that happens and whether it's good or bad for me?!
I would say it's not too big a deal. The only drawback is that if one of them didn't agree with the other it increases the likelihood of needing a second interview. With 3 interviewers, 2/3 of them need to be in agreement. Since you only had two I'm not sure how that would work. Either way, the EXCOM member is really the most important since they're the ones that'll make your case for you during the EXCOM meetings. Best of luck!

I'm bringing my wife so trying to find a hotel/motel/hostel anything really
Green tortoise hostel is in downtown right in front of pike place market. Probably a 20 minute bus ride to UW campus. Cheaper than any hotel you will find in Seattle.

Green tortoise hostel is in downtown right in front of pike place market. Probably a 20 minute bus ride to UW campus. Cheaper than any hotel you will find in Seattle.
I dunno if that's true; hotels on aurora are super cheap. And you can rent by the hour, cuz really, who is going to be in their hotel room for a full 24 hours anyways! Plus, i hear many of them even have HBO!

I dunno if that's true; hotels on aurora are super cheap. And you can rent by the hour, cuz really, who is going to be in their hotel room for a full 24 hours anyways! Plus, i hear many of them even have HBO!
I highly advise NOT staying anywhere on or near Aurora. One of most dangerous places in Seattle. Also they rent by the hour BC that area is known for its drug trade and illegal prostitution. Search "aurora ave seattle crime" in the Seattle times and local news channels for specifics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I highly advise NOT staying anywhere on or near Aurora. One of most dangerous places in Seattle. Also they rent by the hour BC that area is known for its drug trade and illegal prostitution. Search "aurora ave seattle crime" in the Seattle times and local news channels for specifics.

So sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet, but i was completely joking. That said, while certainly seedy in some places, i'm not sure i would call it one of the most dangerous places in the city. And even then, "most dangerous in seattle" is still much safer than cities of similar size. Not to argue that anyone should elect to find a hotel on aurora, but people should know that seattle is a very safe city.

So sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet, but i was completely joking. That said, while certainly seedy in some places, i'm not sure i would call it one of the most dangerous places in the city. And even then, "most dangerous in seattle" is still much safer than cities of similar size. Not to argue that anyone should elect to find a hotel on aurora, but people should know that seattle is a very safe city.
I was hoping you were joking! Just don't want any OOR applicants to accidentally take your advice. That said, Seattles gotten much worse lately. Last year, a dead body was found in the alley behind my on campus apartment (elm), there were a lot of stabbings on the ave, and so on. The U District is statistically more dangerous than the Bronx. Idk if the new police station on 15th will help, but any student unfamiliar with the area should be aware of this in my opinion.

I was hoping you were joking! Just don't want any OOR applicants to accidentally take your advice. That said, Seattles gotten much worse lately. Last year, a dead body was found in the alley behind my on campus apartment (elm), there were a lot of stabbings on the ave, and so on. The U District is statistically more dangerous than the Bronx. Idk if the new police station on 15th will help, but any student unfamiliar with the area should be aware of this in my opinion.
They found a dead body a few months ago in the parking garage across from Northgate, too. Lotsa bodies around here.

There's not tons of violent crime against strangers in Seattle but I have been staggered at the amount of property crime here. Like, just constant burglaries and car prowls and junk. This is really weird for me coming from wherewhere that trespassing is highly likely to cause you to get shot and die, so people... Generally don't do it. But that's not going to be an issue for a visitor, really.

TBH, your sarcasm fell completely flat. Having never been to Seattle, I would have had no idea that you were not serious were it not for Chasing Never Land. I would thank her/him for setting the record straight, but having said that, I'm not sure that a cheap motel in Aurora is something I should be particularly fearful of. I would probably take my chances amidst those notoriously dangerous prostitutes were it not for someone's suggestion that I look into airbnb. What a nice service they offer!

I saw a few friend of a friend acceptances on FB yesterday evening- I wonder if they are finishing up on everyone they had to review. (Definitely not WWAMI, pretty sure Seattle and not Spokane IS)

I saw a few friend of a friend acceptances on FB yesterday evening- I wonder if they are finishing up on everyone they had to review. (Definitely not WWAMI, pretty sure Seattle and not Spokane IS)
We might have some mutual friends, I saw some of that too... March can't come soon enough, this waiting game is brutal.

Has anyone from mid-late January interviews heard back? I know it's only been like a week and I'm not claiming I have been waiting long AT ALL, just trying to gauge when they have met.

We might have some mutual friends, I saw some of that too... March can't come soon enough, this waiting game is brutal.

Probably! And hopefully we hear back soon - I wanna know if I have to move, if I can go to the Adele concert, etc hahah

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone from mid-late January interviews heard back? I know it's only been like a week and I'm not claiming I have been waiting long AT ALL, just trying to gauge when they have met.
I haven't heard anything back yet since my interview (mid-late January). My thought is the Excom meetings will happen more often in Feb. as March draws nearer and they have to narrow down the applicant pool. If people found out yesterday evening then my guess is that there was a meeting yesterday. I'd say we should give it another week or two for them to hold another meeting. Given that people who interviewed back in Oct/Nov/Dec are still waiting, us January interviewees are best off just sitting tight and hoping for the best.

During the interview day a staff from the financial aid office mentioned something about there being up to 8k in scholarships available for students. I wasn't sure if that was per year or what it was for, but i walked away from that conversation thinking there was the possibility of me receiving 8k off my tuition. Not completely sure i understood it properly, or what are the actual odds of receiving that aid, but that is the impression i walked away with.

Well DAMN i just saw through mutual friends liking things on Facebook that a dude from my interview day was accepted last night. Let the anxiety begin and can they just send me that pesky inevitable SUC already?!

During the interview day a staff from the financial aid office mentioned something about there being up to 8k in scholarships available for students. I wasn't sure if that was per year or what it was for, but i walked away from that conversation thinking there was the possibility of me receiving 8k off my tuition. Not completely sure i understood it properly, or what are the actual odds of receiving that aid, but that is the impression i walked away with.

Okay, I'll set the record straight.

There is a grant that is need based. It is award based on parent financial information. Last year is was up to $9,000.

You can also apply for scholarships through the school. The most common award for students that receive the grant is $1,000. If you do not receive the grant you qualify for more.

No merit scholarships as far as I am aware of. The school believes in spreading out the scholarships and grants rather than giving it to a select few. The best most of the students will get then is $10,000 off of tuition. OOR people get more awards to offset tuition costs to instate levels.

Now, there are a few more scholarships out there that the school gives out but I think they are for exceptional life stories and are through the scholarship application you use to get the $1,000 awards. Don't plan on getting these though. They are a lot rarer with just a few students getting them. I got two of them as a third year, never getting them as a first or second year.

Bottom line, expect to be $200k or more in debt, even in state

Love,

Your friendly, indebted, UWSOM student :)

Bottom line, expect to be $200k or more in debt, even in state

Love,

Your friendly, indebted, UWSOM student :)

"Average indebtedness" seems to be a useful measure of the true cost, and usnwr puts UW somewhere between 140,000-150,000 for 2013 graduates. Do you think this is inaccurate, and if so, do you have any clue where the discrepancies lie?

"Average indebtedness" seems to be a useful measure of the true cost, and usnwr puts UW somewhere between 140,000-150,000 for 2013 graduates. Do you think this is inaccurate, and if so, do you have any clue where the discrepancies lie?
In my view, average indebtedness is a bit misleading because I believe it factors in folks who don't need to take out loans, or as many loans, because they have family that helps them pay. I also believe it includes people with substantial scholarships who thus pay less.

Well, I don't ask anyone else about how much their debt load is but assuming most people have similar financial scenarios, as far as minimal outside contribution (your parents etc), this is misleading. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people are in a similar situation to myself, and have average debt of $200k or more.

Second part of your question, the discrepancy is likely because WWAMI states are factored in.. Wyoming pays substantially less for tuition (and have a minimum 5 year mandatory repayment as a result). At least this is what I have heard. This is once example, not sure what the other WWAMI states pay

Well, I don't ask anyone else about how much their debt load is but assuming most people have similar financial scenarios, as far as minimal outside contribution (your parents etc), this is misleading. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people are in a similar situation to myself, and have average debt of $200k or more.

Second part of your question, the discrepancy is likely because WWAMI states are factored in.. Wyoming pays substantially less for tuition (and have a minimum 5 year mandatory repayment as a result). At least this is what I have heard. This is once example, not sure what the other WWAMI states pay
So basically residents of 5 states get the same degree, even though they never meet and don't even pay the same price for the same degree???

Alaska pays in-state tuition (in exchange for 3-5 years of practice in Alaska), so their debt shouldn't be significantly different from Washington residents. Do Wyoming students pay even less than that?

Well DAMN i just saw through mutual friends liking things on Facebook that a dude from my interview day was accepted last night. Let the anxiety begin and can they just send me that pesky inevitable SUC already?!
When was your interview if you don't mind me asking?

So basically residents of 5 states get the same degree, even though they never meet and don't even pay the same price for the same degree???
Basically yes, on and you can conceivably never step foot at UWMC and graduate from UWSOM. Oh and all the while receiving an excellent medical education from community physicians and faculty from local universities. That's why WWAMI is amazing - that's why all this Spokane negativity on these threads make me shake my head, but this is a separate discussion :)

Alaska pays in-state tuition (in exchange for 3-5 years of practice in Alaska), so their debt shouldn't be significantly different from Washington residents. Do Wyoming students pay even less than that?
But 'in state' differs for each WWAMI state depending on how much the state subsidizes the yearly cost

Interviewed early November, SUC x3, rejected today. LizzyM 69, WA resident. Sucks, but I'm thankful to have an acceptance elsewhere at least! Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

SUC email (#3?) today. Missed a call from a 253 area code but I can't call it back. Hope I didn't miss anything!

Interviewed early November, SUC x3, rejected today. LizzyM 69, WA resident. Sucks, but I'm thankful to have an acceptance elsewhere at least! Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad to see that you have an acceptance too. At the end of the day (in 4 years) you'll still be a doctor :)

SUC email (#3?) today. Missed a call from a 253 area code but I can't call it back. Hope I didn't miss anything!

I was about to say "hmm again?" but I literally just got the SUC email too.

SUC #4, interviewed early November. I've been seeing acceptances pop up on social media here and there, so congrats to everyone who has received the call recently!