2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll skip the past few posts and try to get back on track...

"Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that."

Although 96% is probably not too far off the mark. Does it say anything about the length or degree of their research? Almost everyone who applies to HMS has probably done some amount of research in some capacity in the past. Don't get too hung up on these kinds of details...

...especially if you have 2000 hours of research under your belt! That's a solid 10-20 hours/week for two years. Far more than I did! Probably more than many of us. With a 3.99 and an MCAT in the 95th+ percentile? I'm sure that whatever school you attended is fine. You apparently got a good education out of it, and no doubt destroyed the grading curve. They might be more concerned if you had gone to a 3rd-tier public school and came out with a 3.3, but I think that you're fine. Also, don't worry about being an undergrad without a publication. That's... I don't even know where to begin. The horror of being 20 years old and not a first author in Nature! Nah. There are plenty of other things to worry about in life. Like jellyfish.

Look, I know that this process is unbelievably stressful. I do not envy you at all. There's a lot of uncertainty, apprehension, self-criticism, and unrealistic comparisons. I wish that I could give you some sort of easy reassurance that you will be accepted everywhere you apply, but that's not how it works. Y'all need to take a deep breath, be proud of everything that you accomplished so far, push those toxic doubts to the back of your mind, and dive right in.

The most important thing is that you get an LOR from someone who can write strongly about your best attributes. That said, an MD/PhD student may not be the best choice. You probably want someone who has a graduate degree (preferably a PhD if involved in research) and/or functions in some sort of official supervisory position. I would advise against having a medical student write you an LOR to medical school. Asking him to help you out in getting an LOR from your PI sounds like a great idea, though. Especially since he has been in your position recently and will likely be sympathetic.

This. And even after you get accepted, you will convince yourself that they must have made some mistake, or that you were the last one on the list!
Thank you very much. Can I take you to my interviews with me for pep talks? jk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Damn @the_ajax_kid you really killed the level of immaturity we had going on here... :(

I kid I kid :p

Reactions: 1 user
The horror of being 20 years old and not a first author in Nature! Nah. There are plenty of other things to worry about in life. Like jellyfish.

"If you had to withstand 10,000 jellyfish stings to get a 1st author Nature Paper, would you do it?" - I can totally see this becoming a new trend on SDN :D

Thank you very much. Can I take you to my interviews with me for pep talks? jk

Plot twist: Ajax turns out to be FutureBenCarson's interviewer o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
@Tupacca @the_ajax_kid Are either of you entering the HTS program or do you know any current/past HTS MD students? I am curious about what students' thoughts are regarding things like intensity compared to Pathway, clinical exposure in years 1-2, etc.

@Tupacca @the_ajax_kid Are either of you entering the HTS program or do you know any current/past HTS MD students? I am curious about what students' thoughts are regarding things like intensity compared to Pathway, clinical exposure in years 1-2, etc.
Sorry for being MIA for a while. Moving across the country has taken over my life haha.Anyway, I'm not in HST and my only exposure was talking to students at second look or at my interview.

That being said, they did seem to be a little more intense and perhaps a little more stressed than the NP (now Pathways) students. However, they all really seemed to enjoy the HST program and gushed about the opportunities that were available. I would check out last year's thread and see if any HST students were on there.

This also has a good amount of info on HST. I hope it helps.
http://hst.mit.edu/academics/md/academic-program

Last edited:

I am not in HST either, and my exposure comes mostly from staying with two of them during my interview and second look. While I don't think that the clinical exposure for HST is terribly different, it's hard to say how it will compare with Pathways. I strongly doubt that they skimp on the clinical experience, and I suspect that HST graduates will do just as well (if not better) than us mortals.

Their academic curriculum was more intense than the NP (and presumably Pathways) program, mostly because there are a number of required courses (more statistics, engineering, etc. stuff that MIT likes) on top of the NP curriculum. But don't let this intimidate you. While both of my hosts enjoyed complaining about the extra work, they were both doing just fine academically. The program has been doing this for a while - they aren't going to give you more than you can handle.

Harvard Dental students also take all of the same courses as us Pathways students, plus they have to take additional courses about dental stuff. So, like HST, the dental students also have additional classes and seem to do just fine.

But I would second Tupacca's recommendation, and urge you to look at past threads for HST students.

I think I'll apply to this as my safety school.

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received.
2441702-0720251747-origi.gif

Reactions: 2 users
If you guys were wondering, prompts are the exact same as last year and all optional as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Also it's a 4000 character limit for that one.
Thanks for the prompt reply. One last question, do you (or anyone else in the thread) know if harvard accept application updates?

Why do they give 4000 characters for the essay? That's like...personal statement length lol whose "after graduation" plans take that much to explain??

why have I still not gotten this secondary? I'm annoyed and impatient lol

I don't know. I know people with lower stats than me who've gotten secondaries. And I also know people with last names after me who've gotten secondaries. AND I know people who were verified after me who've gotten secondaries lol. They're not rolling admissions tho so I don't think its a huge deal

Last edited:
I don't know. I know people with lower stats than me who've gotten secondaries. And I also know people with last names after me who've gotten secondaries. AND I know people who were verified after me who've gotten secondaries lol. They're not rolling admissions tho so I don't think its a huge deal
I'm with you, @FutureBenCarson ! I'm sure we'll get our secondaries soon!

Reactions: 1 users
And another 100 dollars subtracted from my checking account

"If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation"

If I am a non-trad do they want me to write about what I have done since graduating from my undergrad institution (e.g. post-bacc, work, etc.) or since finishing my post-bacc? They ask for my undergrad institution so I'm guessing yes?
Include your post-bac I think

"If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation"

If I am a non-trad do they want me to write about what I have done since graduating from my undergrad institution (e.g. post-bacc, work, etc.) or since finishing my post-bacc? They ask for my undergrad institution so I'm guessing yes?
I think it'd be good to talk about everything after college! Especially since they don't seem to have a post-bacc box.

Secondary received.
The entire part 2 is optional?
2. Additional Biographical Information (optional):

Secondary received.
The entire part 2 is optional?
2. Additional Biographical Information (optional):
yup! It says most applicants won't need to put anything there

Received and submitted! Best of luck everyone! :)

For anyone who took classes at multiple institutions (e.g. community college classes in high school) did the second page of the secondary use a school other than the one you will receive ur degree from as the institution? I don't want HMS to think I graduated from podunk community college lol.

Edit: called them and they said it's mostly due to how AMCAS orders schools but is not an issue to be concerned about. Told me to email admissions just in case with the error and my degree granting institution tho.

Last edited:
I was a community college transfer and the second page listed the four-year I transferred to.

On the 'Upload Files' tab it gives the option to upload 2 documents to supplement your application... anyone have any idea what types of documents they might want there? Would it look bad if I didn't add any?

On the 'Upload Files' tab it gives the option to upload 2 documents to supplement your application... anyone have any idea what types of documents they might want there? Would it look bad if I didn't add any?
no, it’s probably for a CV or something for those who have much more accomplishments than AMCAS would allow for. I’ll be uploading my academic CV since it has some extra stuff and is a good summary. Also, the formatting is fabulous like me ;)

Secondary received and submitted!

Woohoo! Submitted earlier today. Probably a useless app to submit :p

Aaaand now I'm down $100....

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having trouble opening the secondary link. Any suggestions? I've tried using Chrome and Safari.

I'm having trouble opening the secondary link. Any suggestions? I've tried using Chrome and Safari.
I selected it and then copied and pasted it into my browser. Using Chrome.

how many of you all left all the optionals blank? I feel weird doing that. But I might.

how many of you all left all the optionals blank? I feel weird doing that. But I might.
I did. I was thinking about what I could have added to the "diversity" looking one but when they said "many applicants will leave this blank" then I felt less bad about leaving it blank.