2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Fair enough, I was basing the three times a week on the interview dates that were available to me when I needed to reschedule my day. The school says on the site "Each year the Admissions Office offers approximately 1,000 interviews via email to selected applicants." Even if not every II is accepted, that is a ton of people per seat, about 5.5, versus other schools I interviewed at, where the number was closer to 2.5-3. So overall the number of wait listed people isn't surprising.
As I recall, the interview invite specifically said they interview weekly on T, Th, and F and it makes sense for 1000 interviewees. This is the number posted on MSAR as well.

Reactions: 2 users
On their website, it says they interview about 1000 applicants.

Do recently interviewed applicants hear back during the same 13-week time frame ( sometime in May)?

--> I would love to know this as well. I interviewed in early January. Hoping to hear at 8 weeks but it looks more like 12.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so looks like 11/20 is the most recent interview date that they've made decisions on?

Interviewed 12/9--- this anticipation is killer. Good luck, everyone!!!

Reactions: 3 users
first time posting but I really needed to share the news and update you guys on who's hearing back.... Interviewed 12/8 and got an acceptance today!! I'm beyond excited and can't wait to go here!

Reactions: 7 users
first time posting but I really needed to share the news and update you guys on who's hearing back.... Interviewed 12/8 and got an acceptance today!! I'm beyond excited and can't wait to go here!

Congratulations!!!! Also, based on your case, that's ~11 weeks wait time. Seems like theyre accelerating the review process, compared to some of the previous posters who waited ~13 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Does GW usually send out decisions on specifics days/certain times??

Congratulations!!!! Also, based on your case, that's ~11 weeks wait time. Seems like theyre accelerating the review process, compared to some of the previous posters who waited ~13 weeks.

Congrats!

Does GW usually send out decisions on specifics days/certain times??

Thanks! I was surprised to hear back already.

I got the email around 2pm if that helps.

Still on hold pre II and hoping for a shot at interviewing here! Currently at Georgetown for my masters and loving the area!

Waitlisted in early Febuary. Interviewed second week of November. Fingers crossed. Do they let us know our position on the waitlist?

Hey Guys, I was just accepted today (03/1/16)
I interviewed Dec 10

I got an email saying that they needed to call me by phone for more information about my application after being interviewed Early December. Is that weird?

I believe that means that you are going to get accepted :)

does GW send out post-interview rejections?
o and I got wait-listed a few days ago (I interviewed dec 11) .

I interviewed December 3rd and have not heard back about anything. Anyone else in the same boat?

does GW send out post-interview rejections?
o and I got wait-listed a few days ago (I interviewed dec 11) .

would like to know as well. seems like the alternate pool is rather large :(

Anyone from December 15 still waiting to hear?
i interviewed that week and im still waiting. im guessing we will find out next week... i cant stand this waiting!

I just don't understand why this process is taking so long??? :/ I know they interview a large # of people, but geez!! The turnaround time is insane

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone else still on hold for re-review? I am still trying to hold onto to hope!!

Just waitlisted Does anyone know the nature of the waitlist?

So it seems like there aren't really post-interview rejections happening

Based on last year's thread, they do very few post-interview rejections. It looks like there is not usually a ton of waitlist movement, and it seems like most of it happens between the last week of April and the second or third week of June

I just received this email. I'm assuming this has been sent to all WL candidates?

"We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, you are currently an active member of our alternate pool. We do anticipate making offers to alternates. This group is very fluid and organic. Therefore, it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Whether you will be offered a position in the 2016 entering class depends upon activity in the class as well as the alternate pool. This pool remains viable until late July. In order to remain under consideration for a seat in our August 2016 entering class, at this time the Committee on Admissions requests that you provide the following information via your status portal update feature. https://portal.smhs.gwu.edu/AdmissionsOfficeWeb/ • First & Last Name • AAMC ID # • Preferred Contact Email Address, Phone Number and Current Mailing Address • Statement of Interest & Any Updated Information We need to receive this information by no later than 5pm EST on April 1st, 2016. It is to your advantage to let us know if you remain interested as soon as possible. Please note that if we have not heard from you by April 1st, we will assume you are no longer interested in the possibility of attending The George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences and unfortunately will withdraw your application from further consideration. If you actively wish to withdraw at any time, please e-mail [email protected] with this intention rather than uploading to your portal. Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable. In the event that your status changes, we will contact you immediately. Please be sure to notify us if your contact information changes. We appreciate your continued interest in our program and your patience throughout this process. We realize that you may be holding other seats at this time, and we sincerely hope that you continue to wish to join the GW medical community! Sincerely, Diane P. McQuail, M.A. Associate Dean of Admissions For more in depth information about the alternate list, please visit: http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md/admissions/interviews/alternate"

I just received this email. I'm assuming this has been sent to all WL candidates?

"We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, you are currently an active member of our alternate pool. We do anticipate making offers to alternates. This group is very fluid and organic. Therefore, it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Whether you will be offered a position in the 2016 entering class depends upon activity in the class as well as the alternate pool. This pool remains viable until late July. In order to remain under consideration for a seat in our August 2016 entering class, at this time the Committee on Admissions requests that you provide the following information via your status portal update feature. https://portal.smhs.gwu.edu/AdmissionsOfficeWeb/ • First & Last Name • AAMC ID # • Preferred Contact Email Address, Phone Number and Current Mailing Address • Statement of Interest & Any Updated Information We need to receive this information by no later than 5pm EST on April 1st, 2016. It is to your advantage to let us know if you remain interested as soon as possible. Please note that if we have not heard from you by April 1st, we will assume you are no longer interested in the possibility of attending The George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences and unfortunately will withdraw your application from further consideration. If you actively wish to withdraw at any time, please e-mail [email protected] with this intention rather than uploading to your portal. Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable. In the event that your status changes, we will contact you immediately. Please be sure to notify us if your contact information changes. We appreciate your continued interest in our program and your patience throughout this process. We realize that you may be holding other seats at this time, and we sincerely hope that you continue to wish to join the GW medical community! Sincerely, Diane P. McQuail, M.A. Associate Dean of Admissions For more in depth information about the alternate list, please visit: http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md/admissions/interviews/alternate"

I received that too! I guess just seeing who's worth their time?

Yes, I just got it too. I decided to withdraw from the alternate list, I don't want to wait and I already have another acceptance that I would go to over GW. Good luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Also I kinda pooped my pants when I saw an email from them - my hopes are too high

Yes, I just got it too. I decided to withdraw from the alternate list, I don't want to wait and I already have another acceptance that I would go to over GW. Good luck to those waiting!

If you don't mind sharing, when did you interview?