2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you guys put for you geographical preferences? Were most of you willing to relocate anywhere? Were you selective as in like only your surrounding states (5 or less states) or moderate (5-10 or 15 states)?

I didn't list as many states as everyone else I believe I listed just 5 or so all on the east coast...I want to go across county (I live in Los Angeles now) so I can work with different types of diversity and community. Although LA is diverse so is the east coast in a very different way . And lastly the locations are were I know at least one person or some contact so I could move at very short notice! (The ~3weeks we have to move to our site) NY CT PA DC.(I think I picked more but I can only think of these)....I really would ANYWHERE through. I hate that I didn't just say anywhere :( ugh

I used too much thinking "logic" filling out that part!!
That was another question I should have asked my interviewer....(the site does say that your preferred location isn't guaranteed) ....So i hope my location short list wont hurt my chances of getting an offer) He did say that 95% of the fellows relocate which I LOVE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't list as many states as everyone else I believe I listed just 5 or so all on the east coast......I used too much thinking "logic" filling out that part!!

Nothing wrong with applying a little bit of logic in deciding where you want to go. I think many of the people who are assigned to the LA County or NYC Health Departments are in for a rude financial awakening if they don’t already live there. GS-5 is decent pay for many locations in the US but not for LA or NYC.

LA locality pay: $34,881
5% TSP contribution: $1744
PPO health insurance: $2210

This leaves about $30,927 to be taxed. Assuming that net pay will be about 65% of gross, the after tax income would be $20,103. Which breaks down to $774 per pay period.

I currently live in Koreatown neighborhood of Los Angeles, which isn’t exactly posh, and the rent on my 2 bedroom is $1435 and probably going up 4% in August. This is cheap rent by LA standards. So if I stayed here and got a roommate, that would leave me with about $750 to cover everything else. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t. Especially if you have a student loan payment, which I’m assuming most of us do. Just something to think about for those considering the more expensive locations; the annual pay for NYC is only $500 more than LA.

Nothing wrong with applying a little bit of logic in deciding where you want to go. I think many of the people who are assigned to the LA County or NYC Health Departments are in for a rude financial awakening if they don’t already live there. GS-5 is decent pay for many locations in the US but not for LA or NYC.

LA locality pay: $34,881
5% TSP contribution: $1744
PPO health insurance: $2210

This leaves about $30,927 to be taxed. Assuming that net pay will be about 65% of gross, the after tax income would be $20,103. Which breaks down to $774 per pay period.

I currently live in Koreatown neighborhood of Los Angeles, which isn’t exactly posh, and the rent on my 2 bedroom is $1435 and probably going up 4% in August. This is cheap rent by LA standards. So if I stayed here and got a roommate, that would leave me with about $750 to cover everything else. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t. Especially if you have a student loan payment, which I’m assuming most of us do. Just something to think about for those considering the more expensive locations; the annual pay for NYC is only $500 more than LA.
NYC is an expensive city as well.....VERY Staying LA would seem easier but I have wanted to leave CA and develop my career so PHAP is perfect. Ill have to network & make it work. I've had more than a few challenges before so this will be fine!! CAreer level works is what I'm looking for.... A challenge is a challenge :) I THINK IT WILL BE A STARCH AS FAR AS MONEY GOES NO MATTER YOUR LOCATION AT LEAST THE 1st YR while u get your footing

*itll be worth it!! I know that

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the phone call about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to the Chicago Health Department:)

Got the phone call about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to the Chicago Health Department:)

I got a phone call from the Atlanta area too! However, I missed it and no one left a voicemail. No email or updated application status. So....what's this mean? :\

Wow Congrats. i guess they will be calling more people tomorrow.

Congrats!!!

I got a call early this afternoon, but missed it. I just returned the phone call and found out that I'll be at a health district near Atlanta, GA. Not my first choice, but I'm happy.

Congrats to all the people who got in so far! Quick question though, did you guys get contacted by your territorial stations or by CDC in Georgia?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from CDC as well. I didn't recognize the area code at first, but it's 404, so keep an eye out. Congrats to everyone so far! :)

And no, my PHAP application status did not change. I don't know that it really can until the CDC HR department sends out official announcements/offer letters in writing, on letterhead.

Geez,

No word yet for today. It looks like our resident doctors got in. Congrats to everyone. I am super bombed out that I have not been contacted. You'd think two years Peace Corps in Central America (health development); 1 year AmeriCorps VISTA completion (youth development); non competitive eligibility; a graduate assistant ship, a master's in public policy and current experience working for a cultural nonprofit would get a guy a spot? Not looking good :/

Keep your faith! You sound like you have an amazing resume. If you can't get in through the front door, go through the back door, side door, window, garage, and don't forget the doggy door. lol

Geez,

No word yet for today. It looks like our resident doctors got in. Congrats to everyone. I am super bombed out that I have not been contacted. You'd think two years Peace Corps in Central America (health development); 1 year AmeriCorps VISTA completion (youth development); non competitive eligibility; a graduate assistant ship, a master's in public policy and current experience working for a cultural nonprofit would get a guy a spot? Not looking good :/

Keep your faith! You sound like you have an amazing resume. If you can't get in through the front door, go through the back door, side door, window, garage, and don't forget the doggy door. lol

Lol,:laugh: thanks for the encouragement!! It helped a lot!! Yes, there must be a door somewhere that can be crawled through and if not I will break one done!! :D

I totally agree. You have a credential that I am envious of: the Peace Corps tour. Just keep in mind that all appointments to scientific positions at CDC are extremely competitive: at this point, there really isn't any indication that you didn't make it, as the notifications apparently started very late in the day. And if you really didn't make it, it's not a personal reflection on you because you are more than qualified:thumbup: Sometimes persistence is the key: I've been applying for jobs with the CDC for 15 years and this is the first time they ever even bothered talking to me. So if not this year, maybe in the future.

I totally agree. You have a credential that I am envious of: the Peace Corps tour. Just keep in mind that all appointments to scientific positions at CDC are extremely competitive: at this point, there really isn't any indication that you didn't make it, as the notifications apparently started very late in the day. And if you really didn't make it, it's not a personal reflection on you because you are more than qualified:thumbup: Sometimes persistence is the key: I've been applying for jobs with the CDC for 15 years and this is the first time they ever even bothered talking to me. So if not this year, maybe in the future.

WOW, 15 years!! That says a lot about your persistence. Job well done!! Nothing comes easy in this world, especially in this job market lol but the future must have a positive slope. Thanks for your Peace Corps compliment. It was one of my finest and toughest moments, lol. Tomorrow should be a long day but I am opitimistic good news will come of it:thumbup:

WOW, 15 years!! That says a lot about your persistence. Job well done!! Nothing comes easy in this world, especially in this job market lol but the future must have a positive slope. Thanks for your Peace Corps compliment. It was one of my finest and toughest moments, lol. Tomorrow should be a long day but I am opitimistic good news will come of it:thumbup:

You made it this far, so you're definitely more than qualified. :thumbup: I was also told that some people from previous years were notified really late as some dropped out before the start of the program. There is always hope. When I applied to grad school, I was on so many waitlists it wasn't even funny. I got into a program last minute, so I know the feeling. Personally, I've been applying for jobs with CDC and VA for about 3 years and only got as far as interviews and those were probably for jobs that nobody wanted. :oops:

Geez,

Just talked to the CDC office and they are still making calls. They said we should hear something by Thursday. Don't give up hope!

Hey Guys,

I just got a call from the CDC and got an offer for Lima, Ohio. I'm currently living in Brooklyn, NY and was wondering if anybody got an offer for NYC? I've never lived away from home before (I just graduated from college) and although Ohio is not what I expected, I am just as grateful and excited.

Good luck guys!

Hey Guys,

I just got a call from the CDC and got an offer for Lima, Ohio. I'm currently living in Brooklyn, NY and was wondering if anybody got an offer for NYC? I've never lived away from home before (I just graduated from college) and although Ohio is not what I expected, I am just as grateful and excited.

Good luck guys!

Did they give you the option of any other locations if someone was interested in switching? Or if one became available?

Just talked to the CDC office and they are still making calls. They said we should hear something by Thursday. Don't give up hope!

Thanks!! I thought about calling but haven't. I wished they at least update our application statuses if we weren't selected. That would prevent a whole lot of worry and them a whole lot of phone calls.

I feel like I'm in purgatory because I missed their call yesterday! I hope they call back!!

Did they give you the option of any other locations if someone was interested in switching? Or if one became available?
They didn't say anything to me about other locations but I will probably call or email to ask. I really didn't think they'd ask me to relocate (naive to think, I know) but my thought was that since I'm in NYC, and New York has multiple host sites, I'd be places here.

Where did you get placed? Also in a different state?

KityLifter- Like you I thought we'd be most likely be selected for somewhere closer to home, it seemed like that was how most had been placed in the past. I'm surprised you (being in NYC) are going to Ohio too. As for me, if I get chosen for NYC, I'm somewhat out of luck...there's no way to afford a place to live there...of course there's always the "old van down by the river" Yikes!

Hello everyone. I got a call telling me that I got in. I was placed in Manassas, Va. I wanted to be placed in DC, since I can just take the metro to DC from Alexandria, Va. Is anyone from the Northern Virginia area? or has been placed in Manassas? I need someone to carpool with me.

I asked if the placement was final and they told me it was. The person calling me said that the HR from the CDC will reach out to me so that I can send a official transcript.

if you guys are still waiting don't give up hope yet, since I read another post saying that calls will continue until Thursday. But my interviewer did tell me that only those that got accepted will receive any kind of notice.

Sounds like maybe they are calling based on placement regions (East and Midwest)? Anybody receive a call that was placed out west?

Sounds like maybe they are calling based on placement regions (East and Midwest)? Anybody receive a call that was placed out west?

This is the blanket statement I received:

"Hello,

Notifications are being made. If you have been selected for the Public Health Associate Program, then you should be contacted by the end of the week. Thank you for your inquiry.

The PHAP Team"

- From this point on I am just going to keep it moving, put away the phone and log off this message board. If they call - they call, it not then too bad.

- From this point on I am just going to keep it moving, put away the phone and log off this message board. If they call - they call, it not then too bad.

Yeah, that is a good suggestion. I am stressing myself out over this. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone who has received the phone call received any emails or physical offers from the CDC? How is that working?

Has anyone who has received the phone call received any emails or physical offers from the CDC? How is that working?

No, I have not. But my situation is probably a little different than that of most accepted PHAP applicants. All new federal employees have to submit fingerprints and undergo an FBI or NSA background investigation for security clearances. As a current federal employee, this has already been done for me. All CDC HR really needs from me at this point is an official transcript, which might already be on file somewhere with the federal government. At the end of the day, I will basically be going on paid annual or administrative leave for a few days so I can complete the move to Chicago, and CDC will be processing what in the federal govt is known as a lateral transfer. I expect to hear from the Chicago Public Health Dept sometime in the next week; I really don't expect to hear much from CDC HR except the official offer: it's the responsibility of my current agency(Veterans Administration) to initiate the transfer request and send the info to CDC. New federal govt employees should probably expect to receive a lot of communications from CDC HR in the upcoming weeks.

Received a phone call from CDC and was offered a phap position in Walla Walla, Washington. Happy for the opportunity but is anyone familiar with that area? it's a big change coming from MD

Received a phone call from CDC and was offered a phap position in Walla Walla, Washington. Happy for the opportunity but is anyone familiar with that area? it's a big change coming from MD

I was stationed at McChord AFB, in Tacoma, for 3 years. Walla Walla isn't the most interesting location, but it isn't the worst either. I can't remember if it's east or west of the mountains. If it's west, it will be as dreary and wet as you expect for the Pacific Northwest. If it's east, it will be much drier and warmer than you were expecting. Either way, the Columbia River is nearby, and it is beautiful. I also lived in southern Pennsylvania for a couple of years. And you are right: Walla Walla is nothing like Maryland.

When were you called?

I was stationed at McChord AFB, in Tacoma, for 3 years. Walla Walla isn't the most interesting location, but it isn't the worst either. I can't remember if it's east or west of the mountains. If it's west, it will be as dreary and wet as you expect for the Pacific Northwest. If it's east, it will be much drier and warmer than you were expecting. Either way, the Columbia River is nearby, and it is beautiful. I also lived in southern Pennsylvania for a couple of years. And you are right: Walla Walla is nothing like Maryland.

From what I've researched weather seems to be dry and warm and the town is very small. My options are Walla Walla or to get on the waitlist but they did mention the chances of getting of the waitlist are very slim.

Hey guys just want to say a big congratulations to everyone selected so far! I'm still waiting it out but I'm. So happy for everyone whose gotten the called already it's been a long wait :D as always if I hear anything I'll pass it on! .... *stay hopeful*

Yes, Queens for me too!

For those that have gotten placed in Queens: are you guys living in New York. My relocation might possibly affect if I can go or not. Even though NYC is expensive, living with family an commuting makes things a lot more affordable than moving. I would have to buy a car by next month to even feasibly be able to work in Lima, OH. Tough decisions. Is anybody else's financial situation weighing heavily on of they can take their offer? Just wondering if there are others like me...

Hey guys just want to say a big congratulations to everyone selected so far! I'm still waiting it out but I'm. So happy for everyone whose gotten the called already it's been a long wait :D as always if I hear anything I'll pass it on! .... *stay hopeful*

Yeah I have to agree with dee1987, it has been a long couple of months for us and I'm so happy to hear and read all of your excitement.

I haven't been called either.. But I'm just glad that some of you are just a bit closer to what you all want to do.
Congrats and congrats!!

You will all do great!

Lol it's tough waiting though.. My mind is racing .. Quite an annoying feeling.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on here before, but I have religiously stalked this forum since day one of this process and therefore I am quite familiar with where most of you are right now. I, too, am waiting for that call.

I finally decided to post in regards to the Walla Walla placement. Just wanted to let you know that Walla Walla has some of the best ice cream and onion rings in the nation. You should go there just for that (and the righteous windsurfing). That is a great site and I wish I was going there!

I would prefer to be placed in OR, MN or ND. Hopefully I get a call today or tomorrow for either of them. I also said I would go anywhere, but pretty sure that if they send me to NY I would cry a little (no offense).

I did not interview well for PHAP. I was exhausted after a 50 hour work week and this has eaten away at my composure everyday since. Reading about all of your background's I feel wholly beaten, though I do qualify. The only unique thing I've got going is a graduate assistantship and a Peace Corps tour.

I know it's not possible for ALL of us to get placed, but there's less than 100 of us on this forum...So hopefully we all do. *fingers and toes and stomach all crossed* :cool:

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum and happy to have some support in this process. Has anyone been notified today? It seems most of the notification happened on Monday and Tuesday.

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum and happy to have some support in this process. Has anyone been notified today? It seems most of the notification happened on Monday and Tuesday.

I was notififed today that I will be in Atlanta, don't give up hope!

Was notified today that I will be in Charleston, WV! I wish you all the best of luck and I will continue to stalk this message board for 2 years. Congrats :)