2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolcefarniente

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply? Ah I'm nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

I did! Did you notice they extended the application deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out about this program from my professor 3 days before the 8th. I knew I wanted to apply right away and had to scramble to get it all sent in. Thank goodness for the extended deadline! I am also hoping that means there were less applicants.

I received the email about the rating too. I am trying not to think too much into it because it says our rating will change after they look through the rest of our application material. This one was only based on the questions we answered. I am curious about if it's out of 100 or if it's out of the number of applicants applied though...

I received the rating email Friday afternoon and again early this morning. Both of the ratings were the same so I am not sure why 2 were sent out. Did this happen to anyone also?

I received the rating email Friday afternoon and again early this morning. Both of the ratings were the same so I am not sure why 2 were sent out. Did this happen to anyone also?

I received the same thing. I don't know why though.

I only got one NOR (notification of results) email this morning.

I believe the rating system is for federal job applications, not specific to the CDC or PHAP. Is it out of 100 (not the number of applicants applied), unless you have veteran preference points. In which case, it can be out of 110 (If you had a perfect 100 rating plus 10 veteran points). I have applied to several federal jobs and from what I gather, the rating is based on how you answered the KSA questions and not your individual resume/cover letter, etc.

That being said, I have no idea what a "good" ranking is to get an interview! My ranking was 88.

I've just gotten mine this morning. I've also gotten an 88.

Does anyone know how long they give for recommendations to be turned in for those they pick?

I believe the rating system is for federal job applications, not specific to the CDC or PHAP. Is it out of 100 (not the number of applicants applied), unless you have veteran preference points. In which case, it can be out of 110 (If you had a perfect 100 rating plus 10 veteran points). I have applied to several federal jobs and from what I gather, the rating is based on how you answered the KSA questions and not your individual resume/cover letter, etc.

That being said, I have no idea what a "good" ranking is to get an interview! My ranking was 88.

Thank you for the info! I received a 93. Hopefully we will hear back soon, after they look through the rest of the materials. From previous years posts I saw that most people do not hear back for an interview until beginning of April so I think it will be a long wait.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for this post. Calmed my nerves. Looks like the questionnaire is 10 pts/question with the answers being weighted. Hopefully our resumes do well in reviewing! Good luck to everyone! :D

Well.... I don't feel so good about my chances now. Being a realist.

I found out that 4000 people applied because I called Human Resources and I follow Dr. Tom Frieden on twitter

What kind of resume did everyone send in?

Does anyone know when we get notified about the FMS application? Has anyone been contacted about it?

hello everyone I am soo happy I found this forum. I have also applied to the 2013 phap class. I found this site to be very helpful. I applied received a 98 and today I received an updated status email that I was referred to the selecting officials. I could honestly say that after seeing 4000 applicants I did not have that much hope. But I have a lot of hope now. I know we are all nervous because this would be a great experience for those interested in publi health. Wishing everyone the best of luck. Also, quick question does anyone know if they ask you your preferred locations?

hello everyone i am soo happy i found this forum. I have also applied to the 2013 phap class. I found this site to be very helpful. I applied received a 98 and today i received an updated status email that i was referred to the selecting officials. I could honestly say that after seeing 4000 applicants i did not have that much hope. But i have a lot of hope now. I know we are all nervous because this would be a great experience for those interested in publi health. Wishing everyone the best of luck. Also, quick question does anyone know if they ask you your preferred locations?

i got that same email today too. ...happy that my name got refered on. Im worried but happy. I got a 95. Does anyone know what other infomation we'll need later? I want to try and have those things already set aside when the time comes.

I belive they asked your preferred location on the usa jobs post. I picked 3 or 4 places.

I'm so happy to no that im not alone waiting and being excited about this program.

Best of luck to everyone. :hungover:

i got that same email today too. ...happy that my name got refered on. Im worried but happy. I got a 95. Does anyone know what other infomation we'll need later? I want to try and have those things already set aside when the time comes.

I belive they asked your preferred location on the usa jobs post. I picked 3 or 4 places.

I'm so happy to no that im not alone waiting and being excited about this program.

Best of luck to everyone. :hungover:

I received the same email as well. This is exciting! Now I just wished they would let us know the next step would be from here. Does any one know if they require recommendations, what is the amount of time we are given to submit them?

Hi are you talking about the NOR? Was this your first email from them or were you contacted in feb with the rating and again today?

I was first contacted in feb with the rating and then again this week.

Did anyone receive an e-mail this afternoon to submit more information through a link they provided? When I clicked on it and registered, it was the application site for the 2012 class.

Did anyone receive an e-mail this afternoon to submit more information through a link they provided? When I clicked on it and registered, it was the application site for the 2012 class.

I GOT THE EMAIL; I registered to the site via the link but the site isn't updated so I can't complete my application. It still has the feb 29th old deadline from the last class. I don't know what to do now. I'm going to email them. Is anyone else having this problem?

Please post what you find out from them, I have the same issue.

Hi I received the email as well . I clicked on link but having trouble registering. I have to call me tomorrow as well.

Please post what you find out from them, I have the same issue.

Hey everyone they responded to say that the site will be up at 8am today. That's east coast time. I'm in CA; I was able to login and you can now create an application.

Hope this helped everyone. Good luck and have an awesome day guys.
:)

Some how I registered under the host site, I do not know how this happened. And now it wont allow me to register for the proper application because my information is already in the database. I tried calling left a message, and emailed, does anyone know if they respond in a quickly? I'm worried! ��

Some how I registered under the host site, I do not know how this happened. And now it wont allow me to register for the proper application because my information is already in the database. I tried calling left a message, and emailed, does anyone know if they respond in a quickly? I'm worried! ��

They seem to write back really fast! I wrote them about the site thrs maybe 3pm pst and got an email back 6am my time...9am est. Friday (today).

They seem to write back really fast! I wrote them about the site thrs maybe 3pm pst and got an email back 6am my time...9am est. Friday (today).
yea they do write back fast, I was really surprised. But they do not seem to understand my problem via email. It's a bit frustrating I will have to keep trying. I will call them on Monday at 8am sharp! Lol.... How is the application so far tho.

yea they do write back fast, I was really surprised. But they do not seem to understand my problem via email. It's a bit frustrating I will have to keep trying. I will call them on Monday at 8am sharp! Lol.... How is the application so far tho.

It's actually pretty straight forward; I am shocked. For the writing you can only write 700 words or so. You have to get the the point ASAP!
I see why this part of the application deadline is so short. They're not beating you over the head with task (at least not yet).

It's actually pretty straight forward; I am shocked. For the writing you can only write 700 words or so. You have to get the the point ASAP!
I see why this part of the application deadline is so short. They're not beating you over the head with task (at least not yet).
Yay! I was able to log-in I just used a different email address and telephone number, ok I can stop stressing. And you are right this part is pretty straight forward. Thanks for all your help :)

Hi - I got an email as well, so i created a username/password (did everyone have to register on the site? or did they use a login created prior to the USAjobs thing?). The page still has 2012 deadline info.

Any idea when it will be updated? I'm leaving the country on monday for a week and need to do this before i go!

Hi - I got an email as well, so i created a username/password (did everyone have to register on the site? or did they use a login created prior to the USAjobs thing?). The page still has 2012 deadline info.

Any idea when it will be updated? I'm leaving the country on monday for a week and need to do this before i go!

If you can login & create a"new application" it only has 3 sections. The date is the only thing not changed but u are able to go into the site & complete the simple sections they talked about in the email. I am just writing my statement. It's basic info locations and your statement.

It's already updated allowing you to do as much as they requested in the email

If you can login & create a"new application" it only has 3 sections. The date is the only thing not changed but u are able to go into the site & complete the simple sections they talked about in the email. I am just writing my statement. It's basic info locations and your statement.

It's already updated allowing you to do as much as they requested in the email

Thank you very much!!!

Was everyone that got asked to submit a personal statement a Veteran?

No. I believe everyone who applied and was emailed about submitting more information was asked to do a statement. It's another part of the application. I am not a vat and I had to write a personal statement as well.

*sorry if I'm posting on here a lot but I look on here everyday to see if anyone's gotten any new information! & if I see a question I think I can answer & help out I do!
I don't mean to be a hog guys. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys!!

I am so excited about this opportunity. I have been SLAVING over my personal statement for the past 5 days. It caught me by surprise because I had no idea that they would request one.

Does anybody know if there are some past associates on here who have posted their statement of purpose on here as an example? I would really like to see what some winning statements look like.

Also, does anybody know how many points the statement will be scored on? It says that the statement will be scored. Is this score included in the SOR score we sent via USA.gov? Is the interview scored as wel?????

Last edited:
Hey Guys!!

I am so excited about this opportunity. I have been SLAVING over my personal statement for the past 5 days. It caught me by surprise because I had no idea that they would request one.

Does anybody know if there are some past associates on here who have posted their statement of purpose on here as an example? I would really like to see what some winning statements look like.

Also, does anybody know how many points the statement will be scored on? It says that the statement will be scored. Is this score included in the SOR score we sent via USA.gov? Is the interview scored as wel?????
Hi.
Me again lol ....(I know I know lol)
Any-who, here to help if I can. I don't know how they are scoring our statements. I'm not sure if they are even using ur USAjobs score anymore at this point. I think it might have been a way to make sure anyone Frm this point on are qualified on 1st the basic level to be a part of PHAP by getting USA jobs Hr to do the 1st review since a lot of people apply, but who knows.
I was having a bit of a rough time writing mine too at first but I really just tried to break it down into sections to write it roughly then pulled it all together after. It helped a lot.
I didn't answer each question in order but I did answer the questions by the end of the statement saying what interested me ( areas/ issues I'm passionate about)& why. Then talked about ANY activities I've done that might closely related it to something I might do in PHAP. And skills my major trained me too! Last I talked goals! I went to a grad fair about a year ago and got great simple advice about expressing that this part of statements it was just tell them what u really would like to do later in life as it relates to THIS PROGRAM! (In this case PHAP) they are not going to attack you later if you don't do those exact things! Just show you have a plan in mind. That really helped me a lot! Hope it helps you! Oh and I had someone look it over for errors grammar and flow. I don't know for sure if its good enough for an interview but I really hope so. I gave it my best!

Lastly, I did see a post Frm a 2011 PHAP on some old post saying you could write her if you had questions their name on here was impermanence
I asked them a question a while ago and they got back ASAP! Maybe they can help you!

SORRY FOR SO MUCH WRITING AND ANY TYPOS IM WRITING VIA MY PHONE.

Good luck

Hi.
Me again lol ....(I know I know lol)
Any-who, here to help if I can. I don't know how they are scoring our statements. I'm not sure if they are even using ur USAjobs score anymore at this point. I think it might have been a way to make sure anyone Frm this point on are qualified on 1st the basic level to be a part of PHAP by getting USA jobs Hr to do the 1st review since a lot of people apply, but who knows.
I was having a bit of a rough time writing mine too at first but I really just tried to break it down into sections to write it roughly then pulled it all together after. It helped a lot.
I didn't answer each question in order but I did answer the questions by the end of the statement saying what interested me ( areas/ issues I'm passionate about)& why. Then talked about ANY activities I've done that might closely related it to something I might do in PHAP. And skills my major trained me too! Last I talked goals! I went to a grad fair about a year ago and got great simple advice about expressing that this part of statements it was just tell them what u really would like to do later in life as it relates to THIS PROGRAM! (In this case PHAP) they are not going to attack you later if you don't do those exact things! Just show you have a plan in mind. That really helped me a lot! Hope it helps you! Oh and I had someone look it over for errors grammar and flow. I don't know for sure if its good enough for an interview but I really hope so. I gave it my best!

Lastly, I did see a post Frm a 2011 PHAP on some old post saying you could write her if you had questions their name on here was impermanence
I asked them a question a while ago and they got back ASAP! Maybe they can help you!

SORRY FOR SO MUCH WRITING AND ANY TYPOS IM WRITING VIA MY PHONE.

Good luck

Hey, trust me- I do not mind that you are commenting lol.. Actually, I am excited to have someone to talk to. You'd think there would be more people on here hitting the board up since over 4,000 people applied.

Being said, I would be curious to know just how many people are in the running to be interviewed. Also, what I think is most confusing is how the evaluation process is taking place now that the CDC is handeling the process versus the USA.gov HR staff. Is there a difference or has the CDC staff been handeling the process from the begining?

Also, I do hope that they use the scores from the NOR list. I scored very high and that would be a boost to my confidence. Additionally, do they follow government guidelines for selection: veteran preference, competitive vs US citizens etc? I ask because I have noncompetitive eligibility from Peace Corps and that would make my wait even less stressful lol..

Hey, trust me- I do not mind that you are commenting lol.. Actually, I am excited to have someone to talk to. You'd think there would be more people on here hitting the board up since over 4,000 people applied.

Being said, I would be curious to know just how many people are in the running to be interviewed. Also, what I think is most confusing is how the evaluation process is taking place now that the CDC is handeling the process versus the USA.gov HR staff. Is there a difference or has the CDC staff been handeling the process from the begining?

Also, I do hope that they use the scores from the NOR list. I scored very high and that would be a boost to my confidence. Additionally, do they follow government guidelines for selection: veteran preference, competitive vs US citizens etc? I ask because I have noncompetitive eligibility from Peace Corps and that would make my wait even less stressful lol..
Thanks! It feels great to see that there is someone else to talk to! NOR score? That's your USA Jobs score right...(lol I never seem to know the technical teams when it comes to USA Jobs) :( if so, I hope they do at least take that into consideration I got a 95 (pretty good).

I'm am schedule A eligible but I don't think they are using that in this position.
This is the 1st time they've gone through USA JOBS for this. I think the CDC hr is now reviewing things form here on out. I think USA jobs HHS hr only did the initial review for them.

I think it's better this way it actually really feels like u get more time to get things together this way. I saw it on the site the way it was before & it seemed like a lot. And before that I heard it was all mail form :O

I wonder too why there's not tones of people on here as well since it's so competitive! I mean in the past they've had only 1500 apps to go through! Crazy how computers change things

Hi, I got a 93 rating. I was wondering if anyone who scored below a 95 has received a email or interview?

Hi, I got a 93 rating. I was wondering if anyone who scored below a 95 has received a email or interview?
I believe that no one will receive emails until after Friday when the application is due. On May 12 the site will be updated to review the status of your application.

hi! i applied too. i got a 98 rating but i don't know if that actually matters. i'm struggling to write the personal statement right now. do we know if there are any past phap people on sdn? it would be so great to talk to someone. good luck all!

hi! i applied too. i got a 98 rating but i don't know if that actually matters. i'm struggling to write the personal statement right now. do we know if there are any past phap people on sdn? it would be so great to talk to someone. good luck all!

.....> I'm for answering things but oh well! I'm just pulling Frm a past post I did but I did run across a PHAP on this site...."....Lastly, I did see a post Frm a 2011 PHAP on some old post saying you could write her if you had questions their name on here was impermanence
I asked them a question a while ago...."

Hope it helps! & yes I really look on here at least once everyday w/ lunch or whenever! :( helps my stress or worry I guess