2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All!

I had my face to face interview in maryland (baltimore) yesterday. Know yourself and why you are in this field. My interviewer was very kind and even when I was going deep in scenario questions..she stopped me and said keep it simple...then she laughed. Relax and let your personality shine. At this point I am just praying and crossing my fingers that my light shined bright like a diamond. :D:oops::p

hey missm472, how many questions did she ask? im not going to even ask you what were the questions because it seems as though some people on here are unsettled by the thought of sharing questions. and besides, they may not either be the same for everyone but I WILL FIND OUT TOMORROW, AND i dont have to think about the questions any more. oh and how lond did the interview last?

Members don't see this ad.

hey missm472, how many questions did she ask? im not going to even ask you what were the questions because it seems as though some people on here are unsettled by the thought of sharing questions. and besides, they may not either be the same for everyone but I WILL FIND OUT TOMORROW, AND i dont have to think about the questions any more. oh and how lond did the interview last?

June is right around the corner!!

Last edited:
Let's ignore attallaborn lol... he's/she's being silly. I was asked 6 questions...it's up to you how long it takes, because it depends how much you talk. It's not questions that will or should stump you if you know why you are in this field. I have an mph..so my vision of my career path may be different from someone with a bachelor's in PH. Remember it's a FELLOWSHIP program so it slightly differs from a regular job interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

i did my interview this Tuesday. there were 6 questions, 3 behavioral and 3 scenarios (40-45 minutes?). i have to repeat what others said, know yourself and know why you are in this field. i found the interview quite pleasant and interesting, actually. i enjoyed answering the scenario questions and the interviewer was really nice. he told me that there were some who cancelled the interviews at the last minute (hey, greater chance for all of us!)

yes, we are in this forum/thread to gather more information, but also we are here to comfort, support, and encourage each other...

i did my interview this Tuesday. there were 6 questions, 3 behavioral and 3 scenarios (40-45 minutes?). i have to repeat what others said, know yourself and know why you are in this field. i found the interview quite pleasant and interesting, actually. i enjoyed answering the scenario questions and the interviewer was really nice. he told me that there were some who cancelled the interviews at the last minute (hey, greater chance for all of us!)

yes, we are in this forum/thread to gather more information, but also we are here to comfort, support, and encourage each other...
"to comfort, support, and encourage each other...<<<THIS is why I come to the forum. Since I applied and joined this bored in march I've loved posting and sharing & reading here. I'm sure EVERYONE did excellent. I've been kicking myself for not sharing all my skills (part of my brain went blank :( ) but I hope my passion, personality, & such makes up for it!
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO POST ON HERE AS A FELLOW & help someone else!

My face to face interview was yesterday. The questions were painless, and I enjoyed chatting with the interviewer, who has worked with CDC for 20+ years. To those still waiting to be interviewed, if you know anything about yourself and why you want to work in public health, you will do absolutely fine.

Confirmation of info stated previously. 4400 applicants, 1000 essays, 500 interviews, and 133 positions. Interviewer stated that at this point everyone is extremely well qualified and that they are looking for people who are the best matches for what the host sites need/want, and likely to continue working in public health after the program is over. No guarantees of desired geographic location or program area.

My opinion only, but I think those who were really strict in their choice of geographic locations decreased their chances of being selected. I selected 23 states where I would be willing to relocate; many of those that I excluded didn't even have host sites last year.

As I read all of these posts and questionably "over analyze" as is my custom...
I find myself weary of the competitive cut-throat nature we are developing as crunch time begins...

Look back, explore how our encouragement of each other and our selflessness has depleted as we all muster for something that we assume will be our career's saving grace...

Be competitively united in an effort for "public" health, not just your health or my health...
Be encouraged by competition and lift up your peers in competition... Ultimately by doing so, you strengthen your character ten-fold.

Idk... I guess I am shocked that there are those so thirsty to jeopardize their code of ethics to seemingly get ahead when that in itself doesn't guarantee your admittance.

You do realize your interviewer and selector can be a member of this public forum right?

You do realize the things we say here gives us insight( on a minute scale) as to our unity in regards to the ailments of society right?
How then can we be impeccable, if we ourselves succumb to our own anxiousness and selfishness and competitiveness?

Please, I hope we find peace in the blessings we already have and continue to encourage others who will eventually accepts this offer and make strides for the future. Hopefully you and I will hold these titles as well and represent them wisely.

If I'm way off, I apologize for my long winded rant..
I'm just a bit resolute this afternoon.

Good luck!

Just had my interview today in Atlanta. I'm from TN, so I drove down. Just to confirm, the previous stats about the number of applicants, interviews, and positions is correct. I had my interview with the Director of the Field Services Office of OSTLTS. She asked 6 questions just like everyone has stated in previous posts. The interview lasted about an hour and she was a pleasure to speak with. I think if you be yourself and know what you want, than you'll do fine. She said that they should be notifying applicants around mid-June. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Just had my interview today in Atlanta. I'm from TN, so I drove down. Just to confirm, the previous stats about the number of applicants, interviews, and positions is correct. I had my interview with the Director of the Field Services Office of OSTLTS. She asked 6 questions just like everyone has stated in previous posts. The interview lasted about an hour and she was a pleasure to speak with. I think if you be yourself and know what you want, than you'll do fine. She said that they should be notifying applicants around mid-June. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Luckily, many of them have gone swimmingly pleasant. : ) June is right around the corner!!

Last edited:
I'm just curious, did anyone else have an interviewer that didn't write anything down? Do you think some recorded our interviews, or could it have been a simple "yes" or "no" in their minds?

Hold tight everyone, I was told that we should find out by the end of this week yahoo!!!

I seriously doubt that the interviews were secretly recorded. In most US jurisdictions, recording a conversation without the consent of all involved is illegal without a search warrant/wire tap authorization.

Hey,

My interviewer took notes.

Who told you that we will know by the end of the week?

I'm just curious, did anyone else have an interviewer that didn't write anything down? Do you think some recorded our interviews, or could it have been a simple "yes" or "no" in their minds?

Hold tight everyone, I was told that we should find out by the end of this week yahoo!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I wasn't told by 'the end of the week' but my interviewer DID say that I would know something early in June.

My interviewer said by the middle of June. I interpreted that to mean by the end of next week, which would be June 15.

I was told that I should be notified about 2-3 weeks after my interview, which would be around the end of next week (June 11-18). Did anyone else apply for other fellowships, graduate school, etc..?

I wasn't told by 'the end of the week' but my interviewer DID say that I would know something early in June.

My interviewer said that all interviews were due by Friday May 24th and the choices were to be made the following week ...the week of May27/28th. I was told we should hear back by early June. I don't know if that helps anywho but hopefully. I'm just sharing what I was told.

All the best guys :)

Hey,

My interviewer said that interviews were to be completed by May 29 and I should hear back by the end if the week of June 2. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication or misinformation among the interviewers.

My interviewer said that all interviews were due by Friday May 24th and the choices were to be made the following week ...the week of May27/28th. I was told we should hear back by early June. I don't know if that helps anywho but hopefully. I'm just sharing what I was told.

All the best guys :)

I was actually interviewed on May 28th and my interviewer (Director of PHAP) had informed me that interviews were still occurring until the 30th. We should all be hearing back soon. Good luck everyone. :)

Did anyone else apply for other fellowships, graduate school, etc..?

I really do hope that everyone who was interviewed has some kind of alternative plan, because the odds are almost 4:1 against being selected.

No, I did not apply to graduate school. As a DVM MPH, my academic career is over. No desire whatsoever to spend my 40's as grad student working on a PhD.

I already have a job in health administration, but I did apply for other jobs. Had recent interviews to be a public health officer with a cruise ship line, and to be the health officer for a small county in Wisconsin. Outcome of both is completely unknown at the moment, but city/county/state appointments often require approval of legislature and/or governor's office. So chances slim to nonexistent of hearing anything positive or negative from the county job before Labor Day. Also see an environmental health supervisor job on the East coast that I will probably apply for.

If not selected for PHAP, I will probably also submit an application to the EIS program. It's probably a better professional match for me than PHAP. It certainly pays better, lol.

If none of the multiple options I have on the table pans out by the end of the year, I'm definitely considering moving back to New Zealand and resuming the practice of clinical medicine. I lived on the South Island for a couple of years and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
That's great to see some more experienced applicants. I'm a DPT MPH, so this is kind of a change of scenery for me compared to a clinical setting. This program was really catered towards those who recently finished their undergrad, but I think it can be a great experience for anyone regardless of how far along they are in their careers. I almost applied for the PHPS fellowship, but glad I did not, since they decided to not continue the program for the 2013 FY.

I did however apply to some PhD and DrPH programs. I'm also applying for the USPHS. Hopefully, I'll end up somewhere before the year ends. At one point, I was looking at EIS, but it seems to be more catered towards MD/DO/DVM applicants, so not really for me. Public health officer sounds like an ideal job to me though. Also, living in New Zealand sounds great too! We both have some good backup plans here. Good luck with your job search and PHAP.

Last edited:
completed graduate school in november 2011..political science/international relations focused on the inclusion and protection of minority rights in democratizing and/or industrializing countries. my undergrad is also poli sci but focused on terrorism, smuggling and trafficking (humans, antiquities, animals, arms)

after graduating i worked for 14 months in logistics for toshiba medical equipment and recently (as of last wednesday) took a temp job doing logistics for a fabrication company..was told today they want to hire me and tomorrow (tuesday 6/4) we're talking money...totally difficult to know your worth (should totally be a required college class "what you should be paid: RealLife 440"). Really complicates this whole PHAP thing. It'll easily be $15k more a year than PHAP..but i really want the risky adventure..relocation...meaningfulness --so complicated.

I'm saying yes to logistics right now and I'm going to feel like a POS if i get into PHAP because i'm pretty sure i'll take PHAP..so within 2 weeks of doing logistics for this fabrication place i'll be putting my 2 week notice in. First world problems...i have too much opportunity.

..and i interviewed with drexel the same day i interviewed with PHAP...too scared to even send a thank you email to my drexel interviewers in case they say they want me..and then i relocate to philly and 1-2 weeks later i find out i got into PHAP and i have to relocate again within a month.

I was actually interviewed on May 28th and my interviewer (Director of PHAP) had informed me that interviews were still occurring until the 30th. We should all be hearing back soon. Good luck everyone. :)

Cool!! My interview was with a former PHAP director May 21st.....( in Los Angeles) What will be will be :) yes, we will know soon enough! The days seem so long when your waiting

i applied to and have been accepted to graduate school if this doesn't work out. i told my interviewers that i would pick PHAP over graduate school, which is true, though i would ideally like to do both. i'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice school, so if i get in and i'm also magically offered a spot with PHAP, i'll see if i can do grad school online and PHAP at the same time

i applied to and have been accepted to graduate school if this doesn't work out. i told my interviewers that i would pick PHAP over graduate school, which is true, though i would ideally like to do both. i'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice school, so if i get in and i'm also magically offered a spot with PHAP, i'll see if i can do grad school online and PHAP at the same time

that is crazy girl! full time job and grad school independently. That's a world of hurt. You've got chutzpah!

Am I the only one wondering if people are using this opportunity to wiggle there way into CDC!? CDC is THE #1 public health agency...The program is a public health fellowship...hopefully those that are trully passionate about a long-term career in public health are given this opportunity.

Am I the only one wondering if people are using this opportunity to wiggle there way into CDC!? CDC is THE #1 public health agency...The program is a public health fellowship...hopefully those that are trully passionate about a long-term career in public health are given this opportunity.

Everyone that has posted so far seem to be passionate about public health from their backgrounds and serious about a long-term career in public health. I don't understand where your hostility is coming from. If given an opportunity and those who applied were chosen, they would fulfill the mission and goals of the CDC through this fellowship. There were 4500 applicants, so I doubt someone who is offered a position wouldn't be serious about it. Public health is a very broad field, so I can understand the diversity in everyone's experiences. I don't see what is so wrong about the applicants/candidates using this opportunity to further their careers and possibly obtaining future employment with the CDC.

PHAP provides absolutely zero CDC job security: it's a 2 year term limited appointment with zero promotion potential beyond the GS-7 where all participants would be at the end of the program. In many of the federal government scientific job series, there is no GS-8. So the next level at the CDC in the public health analyst/advisor series is probably GS-9.

To get hired as a GS-9 at the end of PHAP, you would have to, at minimum,compete for the position against all other CDC employees and all other federal government employees who have competitive career status. It's likely that you would also have to compete against all members of the general public who are otherwise qualified. Most of the CDC vacancies I have seen over the years have not been limited to current or status employees. All the things mentioned earlier in this thread like ranking and veterans status still apply. And just like with PHAP, there will be many more qualified applicants for regular CDC vacancies than there are positions.

Federal government employee salaries have been frozen since January 2010, and new vacancies are not abundant. I'm working in an agency that desperately needs employees and hasn't really hired anyone in about 2 years. Almost all government agencies have also resorted to reduction of force (RIF) in order to save money. In a RIF, early retirement gets offered first to those with the most seniority: if not enough of them accept, the agency starts cutting jobs. Seniority is determined by service computation date (SCD). Last one into the federal government is basically the first one out. If a more senior employee's position gets eliminated, that employee has the option of downgrading to a lower level job and bumping a less senior employee out of it. It gets downright cut throat. My opinion only, but stated after 13 years of experience in 3 different federal agencies: in the current budget environment, the long term survival prospects of a newly hired entry level CDC employee with only 2 years of prior government service from PHAP are slim.

The purpose of PHAP is to create a pool of employees who are qualified to fill future vacancies with all public health employers, not just the CDC. Even if selected for PHAP, many of those who are only willing to practice public health in the context of employment with the CDC will quickly find themselves unemployed at the end of the program: most public health jobs are at the city/state/county level. And anyone who isn't making alternative plans in case of nonselection for PHAP is demonstrating extremely poor professional judgment. "CDC or bust" isn't a viable career/life plan for anyone.

I'm going to have to agree with captodometer. It is extremely competitive and hard right now to even get a position in the federal gov't in any agency, even at the local and state levels. In our current economic climate, I wouldn't even consider a freshly minted graduate of a fellowship with no prior experience to be competitive for GS-9 level positions. Especially, if they only have a bachelor's degree and two years of experience. I think the program is great in meeting its objectives, but in no way is it a guarantee for a position with the CDC after graduation.

Everyone that has posted so far seem to be passionate about public health from their backgrounds and serious about a long-term career in public health. I don't understand where your hostility is coming from. If given an opportunity and those who applied were chosen, they would fulfill the mission and goals of the CDC through this fellowship. There were 4500 applicants, so I doubt someone who is offered a position wouldn't be serious about it. Public health is a very broad field, so I can understand the diversity in everyone's experiences. I don't see what is so wrong about the applicants/candidates using this opportunity to further their careers and possibly obtaining future employment with the CDC.
What hostility are you referring to!? No hostility here buddy...just stating my opinion and probing a discussion. Anyway...

I was a bit confused because reading about applicants with dpt's...dvm's...phd's...etc. etc... with YEARS of experience, what other reason would they apply to an entry level public health FELLOWSHIP?!
Def not to "further" their careers. If that's the case, there are many other CDC Fellowships that they could have applied to that reflects their career level. Which is why I said wiggle their way in.

I guess I just have a different understanding of the purpose of the program and its target applicants.

What hostility are you referring to!? No hostility here buddy...just stating my opinion and probing a discussion. Anyway...

I was a bit confused because reading about applicants with dpt's...dvm's...phd's...etc. etc... with YEARS of experience, what other reason would they apply to an entry level public health FELLOWSHIP?!
Def not to "further" their careers. If that's the case, there are many other CDC Fellowships that they could have applied to that reflects their career level. Which is why I said wiggle their way in.

I guess I just have a different understanding of the purpose of the program and its target applicants.

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post. It's a message board, so kind of hard for me to really gauge your level of seriousness through your words. I just mistook your exclamation point and emphasis on capitalized word the wrong way. I hope we can get past this and move onward. You're very much entitled to your opinion.

To continue the discussion and help clear your confusion about other applicants. As you stated (bolded, underlined, & in caps), this is an entry level fellowship. I believe that some of the other applicants, such as myself, don't necessarily have public health experience per se. We have experience in clinical settings and none at the public health program management level or in certain areas such as environmental health, STD/HIV surveillance, emergency preparedness, etc...This program appealed to me because it will allow me the opportunity to explore those areas of public health. Although, I am certified in public health, I do not deal with these issues in my day to day job. Even with my credentials, the entry level fellowship seemed more appropriate and a better fit after evaluating some of the other fellowships. It seems that PHAP has a much wider appeal than I originally anticipated, but I believe this to be a good thing. It will create a much more diverse group of fellows and bring together different perspectives on public health. I hope this helped you understand my rationale for applying. Good luck and hopefully we'll all hear back soon. :)

I am really trying to be optimistic and stay strong during the wait (lol) but your post did turn on a light bulb for me. After researching further, I discovered that most of those abbreviations were for medical doctorates. After putting two and two together, I came to realization that we are competing against licensed DOCTORS .... WOW you guys, we are actually competing against doctors for entry level fellowship positions.

Beating out 3,500 qualified over achievers is one thing but beating out a pool of experienced doctors is another, and I have to say that I am very proud to have made it this far but I am super nervous now as well. If chosen, I will feel very blessed and very proud but I would be overreaching if I didn't say that I would prefer everyone be around the master's and bachelor's level for this program.

Anyone feel differently? Just trying to chat the wait away lol?

So... the end of the 1st week of June is almost here.. and technically Thursday marks the "end" of a work week, because some people are on RDO or take Fridays off..

has anyone heard back yet? in any way, shape or form, good or bad?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how we'll be notified and if we will be notified even though we didn't get it?

I was told we would be notified by phone first and if they cannot reach us by phone they will email. I think if you don't get it in it will just be posted on the PHAP application site.

So... the end of the 1st week of June is almost here.. and technically Thursday marks the "end" of a work week, because some people are on RDO or take Fridays off..

has anyone heard back yet? in any way, shape or form, good or bad?

I think if we were going to be notified by today then they would have begun contacting people earlier during the morning.

Also, I don't think being notified on Friday is off limits because last year (according to the forum on here) most people were contacted on that Friday

So I have a job in a government agency doing science work in biology. I had my interview and the interviewer said that it looked pretty good for me getting in. I'm kind of on the fence about whether I should leave the job security behind or pursue the PHAP program. I really do want to end up in public health so I want to do the program, but I'm worried about what happens after the two years. Also, I only have a bachelor's, and plan on working part-time on my MPH or MPA pretty soon. I like having security, but I don't want to spend years and years here working while doing a part-time masters before I can make my way into the CDC.

So I have a job in a government agency doing science work in biology. I had my interview and the interviewer said that it looked pretty good for me getting in. I'm kind of on the fence about whether I should leave the job security behind or pursue the PHAP program. I really do want to end up in public health so I want to do the program, but I'm worried about what happens after the two years. Also, I only have a bachelor's, and plan on working part-time on my MPH or MPA pretty soon. I like having security, but I don't want to spend years and years here working while doing a part-time masters before I can make my way into the CDC.

My first instinct was to tell you to take chances while the personal risk is low..but I think the correct answer is go with whichever one allows you to network better. From my experience, the degree is no longer the key--it's about who you know and having access to their knowledge.

From my experience, the degree is no longer the key--it's about who you know and having access to their knowledge.

Gonna have to disagree with this. The degree matters a great deal, at least it did for me. All of my actual public health work experience came before I completed my MPH in 2011; the only reason I went back to grad school is because most employers seem to want the degree. Over the years, I would apply for jobs (CDC included) and generally get some kind of notification that I met the basic qualifications and was being referred to the selecting official. But that's as far it would go: I never got the job, or even an interview. Post MPH, I apply for the same/similar jobs and everyone is suddenly interested me.

Going to graduate school and working full-time isn't impossible. I did it. Although, on a PHAP salary, I would question where anyone would get the money to pay the portion of tuition not covered by loans.

Well, the end of the week has come! I have not received a phone call or have seen my application update online. I did get my interview phone call on a Saturday so...anything is possible I guess.

Anyone hear anything or see any updates?

What? Were we supposed to be notified this week or next week? I'm confused...

Oh I see:/
Well thank you for that information brotha. At least we got this far.. Head up!

I'm quite confused. I know several people have mentioned that this is intended to be an entry level program, but when I applied it was my understanding that you had to be less than 2 years out from your undergraduate degree. I spoke with Human Resources in February when applying, and the woman on the phone confirmed this for me.

Also, I found this http://www.cdc.gov/phap/docs/phap-tacall-transcript.pdf transcript meant to help PHAP host sites with their own applications, and the paragraph at the top of the 5th page confirms this. This was true as of March of this year.

Did they change the eligibility requirements in the middle of the application process? :(

The following is copied and pasted directly from the USAJobs vacancy announcement that we all applied to:

The goal of PHAP is to attract exceptional candidates, with a minimum of bachelor's degree into careers in public health...............Applicants must have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree within the past 2 years or will have earned a bachelor's degree by July 1, 2013.

I really don't understand why so many people are confused about who was eligible for this fellowship:confused: The vacancy announcement was about as clear as a federal government document can be.

Neellio, I think you have overlooked the word "rare" in the transcript that you linked to. Saying that something is rare is not the same thing as saying that it's impossible or never happens. Most of the program applicants probably are right out of undergrad with little/no work experience, but some working professionals do eventually decide to go back to school and/or change careers altogether. 14.5 years passed between the time that I earned my DVM and completion of my MPH.

Last edited:
The following is copied and pasted directly from the USAJobs vacancy announcement that we all applied to:

The goal of PHAP is to attract exceptional candidates, with a minimum of bachelor's degree into careers in public health...............Applicants must have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree within the past 2 years or will have earned a bachelor's degree by July 1, 2013.

I really don't understand why so many people are confused about who was eligible for this fellowship:confused: The vacancy announcement was about as clear as a federal government document can be.

Neellio, I think you have overlooked the word "rare" in the transcript that you linked to. Saying that something is rare is not the same thing as saying that it's impossible or never happens. Most of the program applicants probably are right out of undergrad with little/no work experience, but some working professionals do eventually decide to go back to school and/or change careers altogether. 14.5 years passed between the time that I earned my DVM and completion of my MPH.

Well, if you merge both the PHAP site an the USA.gov vacancy announcement these are the requirements:

- US Citizenship
- 2 years from obtaining a degree (4 years and up)
- Be willing to commit to two years
- Be willing to relocate
- Demonstrate and interest in public health
- be able to provide an official transcript

I am sure many people meet those criteria. As simple as that may seem, they make it VERY clear that this is an entry-level fellowship program for bachelors and masters students with little prior public health experience.

I guess people are taken back that experienced doctors are in the running. There's nothing wrong with that but it was my understanding that this was a Pathways Program for Recent Graduates.

The purpose of Pathways is to provide current students and recent graduates opportunities to gain experience in the Federal government. As someone who has worked for Federal agencies, you mentioned the grade system and how nearly impossible it was for someone to get in with advanced degrees and several years experience even at the GS 4 level. I think the only exception is veterans.

What did you guys put for you geographical preferences? Were most of you willing to relocate anywhere? Were you selective as in like only your surrounding states (5 or less states) or moderate (5-10 or 15 states)?

What did you guys put for you geographical preferences? Were most of you willing to relocate anywhere? Were you selective as in like only your surrounding states (5 or less states) or moderate (5-10 or 15 states)?

I chose 15 states: CA, GA, FL, MA, MD, NY, WA, PA, DC, TX, CO, NY and PR

I chose 6 states I did NOT want to relocate to: WV, OK, MS, AK, KY and AL

But I did reiterate that if needed I would relocate anywhere.

Oh I see:/
Well thank you for that information brotha. At least we got this far.. Head up!

I don't think anyone has heard anything yet...unless someone is containing their excitement! Maybe this week will be the week!! :)

I chose: AL, CA, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, LA, MD, MI, MN, NJ, NY, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, PR

I wasn't willing to relocate to: ID, IA, MT, NE, ND, OH, SD, WV, WY

However, I don't have any problem with where ever they place me